shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Finding/Choosing Wedding Band...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittykatmax

Rough_Rock

I wanted a non-traditional e-ring and now I don''t know what to do about a wedding band. My e-ring is a platinum Martin Flyer mounting with a 3.9ct cushion cut pink sapphire as the center stone. The photo below my signature is pretty close to actual size and can show you proportions, but does NOT do justice to the mounting or the loveliness of the pink sapphire, so please excuse the pic. The photo below that is of the mounting alone, and while it''s at least unblurred, it doesn''t really do proper justice, either.

Part of my dilemma is this - I work as a systems administrator and sometimes need to rebuild a server or move equipment around. That being the case, I won''t always wear my e-ring to work. So, the wedding band needs to look good on its own, and fitted bands aren''t particularly attractive on their own, IMHO. However, I don''t want the e-ring and wedding band to look odd when worn together, and the sapphire is big enough that I''m not sure what kind of non-fitted band I could wear with it. Is there an attractive work-around to this, or do I just need to decide on the lesser of two evils? I do know I''d like the band to have pave diamonds - preferably matching up where the pave ends on my e-ring; I''d probably lose stones within a week or two if it were a pave eternity band. Martin Flyer does *not* make a matching wedding band, in case you''re wondering.

Suggestions? Photos for ideas? The wedding is August 20, and I''m getting nervous I won''t leave enough time for a ring to be made, should that be required. Oh, and I also don''t want the ring to cost more than $1,800 - preferably less, to be honest. I''ve been pricing rings, so I don''t think that will be impossible.

Thanks!

Natalie

my%20e-ring.jpg

e-ring2.jpg

kittykatmax

Rough_Rock
They're beautiful, but how durable are they? Would I have too many diamond styles or stone shapes going on? Also, I tried one once, but there was quite a bit of space between the e-ring and the band due to the size of my sapphire.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
A fair number of women have shared prongs bands here on pricescope. Shared prong pands are more sturdy the pave. I would say go and try one on at a local store and see how you feel about them. Alsohave you condsider a comfort it half round platnium bad withnostones? It is classic and will matc everything forever.

kittykatmax

Rough_Rock
It wouldn''t look funny to have a plain platinum band with the pave band of the e-ring? That was my only concern. I''d actually prefer to keep things simple and have a plain band - so long as it looks okay.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think you shoudl go and see for yourself but no I tihnk something a little simpler might be nice so it still has a presence and doesnt take wawy from the beuaty of your e-ring.

Tali

Rough_Rock
YOu may want to consider having jut a plain band. I''ve got my Ering (sapphire w/diamond accents) and WB set in platinum, as well as a plain WG band that I wear. I don''t wear them at the same time, but do love being able to switch. I''m a bit of an anomaly here in that I prefer my WG band. It''s more practical for me as I''m in and out of latex gloves all day, so the ERing snags. I do love the ERing/WB set though. It''s great to cheer me up when I''ve been working too much.
1.gif

kittykatmax

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/18/2005 4:43:35 PM
Author: Tali
YOu may want to consider having jut a plain band. I''ve got my Ering (sapphire w/diamond accents) and WB set in platinum, as well as a plain WG band that I wear. I don''t wear them at the same time, but do love being able to switch. I''m a bit of an anomaly here in that I prefer my WG band. It''s more practical for me as I''m in and out of latex gloves all day, so the ERing snags. I do love the ERing/WB set though. It''s great to cheer me up when I''ve been working too much.
1.gif
I have been dabbling with the thought of a plain band in addition to a diamond one - so I can switch according to situation. My fiance basically bought me two engagement rings (I fell in love with a platinum ring that has a 3ct checkerboard cut rubellite surrounded by two 1/3ct F/VS1 diamond trillians - not durable enough as an e-ring, so we called it my "promise" ring) so why not two wedding bands? LOL.

I''m starting to lean towards a shared prong ring (thanks, Matatori!). They just have more punch than a pave band, and the cost is fairly comparable if one isn''t looking for huge diamonds. Facets has some nice ones at a reasonable price, but I''d prefer diamonds only half way around - partly because I could then get bigger diamonds, but also, because of durability and the question as to how one would size an eternity band down the road if one lost or gained weight???

Thanks,

Natalie
26.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in a similar situation as my current right hand ring (a 2 pointer prong set 10 stone band) was to be my wedding ring but looks odd with my 3 stone e-ring.

I''m going to go for a curved band to sit flush with my e-ring (will prevent prong wear) and if I decide just to wear my band I''ll switch to the 10 stone straight band.

Good luck with your search!

Schatzley

Rough_Rock
Natalie This is a typical situtation we jewelers encounter with clients having purchased a ring elsewhere. We do custom work all the time and a ring can be made to fit up to your ring but it will have a contour with or without diamonds. You indicated you did not want that because it would not look good on its own.

Not to sound 'flip' but this is your jewelers opportunity to sell you two wedding rings. One to match and one to wear on those busy days you do not want to subject your eng ring to.

When making a custom ring we ALWAYS ask what they plan on for an eng ring. Frequently this changes the plan for the very reasons you posted.

Flyer uses very nice diamonds, so be assured your custom jeweler will use same quality. That is not where you want to skim to keep the price in line.

Good Luck and I wish you a life of Happiness in your marriage.

Jack Schatzley

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is stunning... PLEASE add it to the Colored Stone engagement ring thread for everyone to drool over.. don''t forget to add you specs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results