shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
I have the ability to purchase earrings with diamond, Emerald and Ruby stones.
My question is it appears they are set in silver?? How do I care for the silver to keep it
from tarnishing with sooooo many small stones?

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
The owner has advised earrings made of oxidised Silver?? Does this mean no tarishing?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Silver oxide is brownish, so "oxidised silver" would be already tarnished (though normally what you see as tarnish is a mixture of silver oxides, chlorides and sulphides, which is brownish-black). Silver tarnishes slowly if exposed only to oxygen (air) at normal temperatures, but sulphur and chlorine will accelerate the process. Be aware that silver oxide that forms at high temperatures may be difficult to remove from the surface of the piece without abrasives, so if the earrings have been oxidised/burnished by heating, the surface finish may be permanently black.

There are basically three ways of protecting silver from tarnish:

1. Lacquers or varnishes (though they will wear off and/or take a yellowish cast with age)
2. Surface treatment with sulphide-binding compounds ("anti-tarnish" treatment cloths/pastes contain these, which work fine but for short periods only)
3. Alloying with small amounts of germanium prevents both tarnishing and oxidation at high temperatures (permanent, but expensive, and only developed in the last few years)

In terms of caring, if you want to clean intricate silver pieces, use a silver polishing paste (non abrasive) with a soft toothbrush and then rinse well, ideally with demineralised water for the last rinse. If it sounds like a pain in the neck - and it is - avoid buying.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results