shape
carat
color
clarity

Martini Setting - Advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Hey,

Just trying to decide on which earrings I should get.

Between the 4 prong basket .25 or .3 carat weight and the .25 weight 3 prong Martini. Both would be in White Gold most likely. However, the .25 carat Martini is more expensive than the .3 carat 4 prong basket. Just wondering if it''s worth the extra money and sacrifice in carat''s to go with the Martini...

.25 carat 4 prong basket - $260
.30 carat 4 prong basket - $340
.25 carat Martini - $399

What are the major advantages of the Martini vs the traditional 4 pring basket setting?

Here''s the decision I''m down to...

http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFER-4R-Set&CategID=54

http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFER-AE400-Set&CategID=54

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The advantage to the martini setting is that you see more of the diamond and less metal. I just got my old studs re set in the martini setting and am amazed at how great they look. All you see is sparkle and for stones that size I highly reccomend the martini setting. Good luck!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
They also don''t "droop". They sort of "nestle" into your earlobe rather than "sit on top of it" does that make any sense?
26.gif

They''re great!

widget

villain189

Rough_Rock
Yeah..makes sense. That''s what I thought...just wanted to make sure before I plopped down an extra $100 to get the martini setting.
I''ll let you know how they are when I get them...

thanks again!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, and I''m sure they will be gorgeous. Please post pics when you get them!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Also, they sit low to the ear, and they make the diamonds appears to be "suspended" on the ear.

Very pretty setting.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Thanks aljdewey
28.gif

By the way...probably don't remember me but you helped me pick out the diamond from whiteflash for the engagement ring I bought awhile back. These earrings for her for the wedding.

Anyways, it took me forever to post a pic of the diamond & ring you helped me pick out...but I finally just posted a pic a few days ago. I ended up going with a platinum 6 prong setting...here's the link in case you didn't see it yet!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quality-help.13920/

And by the way she loves it so thanks again for all your help!!!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, I didn''t realize they were that much more. I love the look of martini settings BUT honestly basket settings should droop if you are going with only .25 ct. I have 1/3 ct basket settings and they sit perfectly straight. I don''t think you can go wrong with either option. That is such a great gift!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
They show less of the basket beut I dotn think they show more of the stone. JMO.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How large will $399 get in you in the regular basket settings. I would probably have larger diamonds and upgrade the setting later, ir wait until I get larger studs for the martinis.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The diffrence is .2mm based on the links she posted above.
I know I am odd man out here but I dont like martini settings. I am hoping WF will add some three prong baskets to their to go list. My ears are not chubby, but I feel like with my martini studs they go too far into the ear and the stone is shown less then when it sits up a bit. JMO.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
right mata, he didn''t list what $399 could get him in the basket setting, maybe larger than .30. Just a thought to get more bang for the buck.

villain189

Rough_Rock
Hey,

$340 in the 4-prong basket will get me .3 carat (3.4mm)...once it gets bigger than that it's about a $300 jump to the .5 carat ($645). So really it looks like .30 carat TW is about the max I am going to get for my $$$...I'm sure I could get inferior diamonds without an ideal cut. But I think I would prefer having an ideal cut diamond with good color & clarity to a slightly larger less brilliant diamond.

However, Whiteflash actually just added some new earrings. They call then 3 Prong Martini Heavy...and they are cheaper than the normal 3 Prong Martini. I am just guessing that they are a little heavier and would 'droop' a little more? But since I'm only getting .25 carat or .3 carat not sure this extra weight would matter much?

$350 - .25 carat 3 Prong Martini Heavy (White Gold) - 3.2mm

$440 - .30 carat 3 Prong Martini Heavy (White Gold) - 3.4mm

This sounds a little more enticing...makes the Martini's not so much more than the basket. I'm leaning towards the .30 carat Martini ($440) now...you think those would be big enough?

My fiance is 5'0 and very petite...and here e-ring is a little over 1 carat.

Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am 5''1" (also a little girl) and I have 1/3 ctw studs (in basket setting like I already mentioned) I think they are a nice size for everyday wear. I would love to get larger ones someday but for now they are great. I understand wanting to get great diamonds. I got G/VS just in case I ever want to "reuse" them in another piece of jewelry later on (I am always thinking!!!) I don''t think they will droop in any setting because they are smaller stones. Mine are very light and comfortable (except for the screw back which can hurt sometimes but they will NEVER fall off so I just deal with it).

kinggofg

Rough_Rock
What a rip off. Why would the martini''s be so much more than the basket?!? $139!

Buy a couple of lose stones and have them set yourself! Then you can control the process.

The martinis are awesome and you should definatly get those.

Also, don''t get the screw backs unless your fiance has worn them before, or you risk buying 2 sets of martini settings (like I did)

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
You know it is weird.

I just ordered 3 prong martini earrings from WF and they were the same price as the basket setting. There was not a ''martini'' option on the website when I ordered (about 1 week ago), so they made the switch for me for the same price.

Now i see that they have that option on the website and it costs so much more! Why? It is the same weight of gold.

If I were you I would call and talk to someone there and ask for them to be the same price. You are a repeat customer after all!

I find it very odd that they are charging more for a different setting. The real value is the diamonds anyway, isn''t it?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I e-mailed Denise a few days ago and asked the same question - I too think the price difference is ridiculous! Anyway - here is her reply:

The New Martini settings on our site are custom made. They are a little bit lighter and smother than the regular Martini''s. The regular martini''s are still about the same price as the 4 prong baskets. :)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 7:07:39 PM
Author: villain189
Thanks aljdewey
28.gif

By the way...probably don''t remember me but you helped me pick out the diamond from whiteflash for the engagement ring I bought awhile back. These earrings for her for the wedding.

Anyways, it took me forever to post a pic of the diamond & ring you helped me pick out...but I finally just posted a pic a few days ago. I ended up going with a platinum 6 prong setting...here''s the link in case you didn''t see it yet!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quality-help.13920/

And by the way she loves it so thanks again for all your help!!!
35.gif
Villian, I DO remember you....and I remember being MIFFED that you never put up pics!
2.gif
I was DYING to see that baby, so I''m thrilled to see you added a picture.

More than anything, I''m glad she was pleased. It''s so gratifying to have helped; you''re ENTIRELY welcome. It was my pleasure.

What a sweet idea on the earrings.....very nice. I have to say, well-cut earrings DO show up much more on the ear, so you''re going in the right direction.

I have to say I love my martini settings, so another vote here for martini.

kinggofg

Rough_Rock
For your reference attached are the martini studs I got my wife for our 1yr which I mentioned above.

Details: Both are J SI1. (.72ct each) (one is Ideal Cut the other was just listed as Very Good but but look great) SZUL sold them to me. Good service.

I got the findings from Arko Findings on 47th street in New york and they reccomended a diamond setter.

They are really set well. They were a huge hit.

earsaks2.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
kingofg--I mean, your majesty--can I ask what you paid for your settings on 47th st?

kinggofg

Rough_Rock
Of course you may my loyal subject. ;-)

It was very inexpensive.

The findings and the diamond setter were less than $50

They are white gold.

Unfortunately I don''t remember the name of the setter which is a shame since he did such a nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results