carat
color
clarity

Is altering your wedding ring ok? Need "moral" opinions

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 5:05:33 PM
Author: junegirl2010
Pinktower- you said you wear your rhodium plated y/g ring daily correct? I am trying to get an idea on how long the plating will last. The first shop I contacted told me 1-4 weeks, eek! But then I took it to a shop that''s been in business a long time and they were very confident it would last around 1 year. They even offered to do the re-plating for free if it didn''t (a good deal I think). But I am still wondering since I have a job where I do a lot of work with my hands if I need to worry about the plating constantly wearing off if I wear it daily. I''m hoping it''ll be ok.
Glad this is working out for you, Junegirl. How long the rhodium plating will last depends mainly on your body chemistry. The only way to find out is to go ahead and wear your rings.

BTW, congratulations on your recent marriage, and I hope you and your guy have many wonderful years together.
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junegirl-I am very happy that it worked out for you. And, on a totally different point, I am kicking myself for having offered you

what turned out to be (of course) the wrong advice. I don't know how old I will have to get before I wise up (if ever).

People really don't need my advice. They really don't. They just need me to listen. Maybe someday that will sink in! In the

meantime, at least I did no harm. Congratulations!!!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you and your husband reached an agreement on your ring. I hope to see pictures of the "new" rings soon.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 8:48:37 PM
Author: marcyc
I am glad you and your husband reached an agreement on your ring. I hope to see pictures of the ''new'' rings soon.

Marcy is right. After all this, you must post before and after shots.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I am happy to hear this recent news - as I said previously, I was a bit baffled by the resistance to plate it!

Funny that he wanted yours to be different from the rest - and wears platinum himself, ha!

How long plating lasts depends on skin acidity, how often it is exposed to certain chemicals, and quality of plating. Sounds like the first store either would of done a bad plate (to save money) or wanted to upsell you to a new setting. The store you went to sounds much better and will do it again if it wears in the year! You will want a good plate as the yellow will show a lot more with yellow gold under it.

If your mom gives you any grief, I would very firmly tell her you and your husband had agreed it was right decision for you and then change the subject.

And post pics!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had rings (and other pieces) of yellow gold rodium plated before as well. I find that if you clean the ring in an amonia solution, the rodium plating does not last as long. Just clean your ring with a soft toothbrush and dish soap (degreaser formula). This will take all the crud off the stone and band but not hurt the rodium. When it does start to wear, it is only about $40-$50 to have it re-dipped.

I can''t wait to see pictures. It would be great if you could post both the before and after pictures. Anyway, I''m glad that everything worked out for you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! this is evidence of a good marriage: talk it out until both parties are satisfied and know the reasons behind each other's thinking. i think any misgivings he may secretly harbor will disappear when he sees how happy you are with the plating.....now i pray/hope that you are extremely happy with the results and give him all kinds of hugs and kisses of joy when you put the set back on.

mz

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I had to laugh when you said his wedding band is platinum...if he liked the look of white gold/platinum better for himself, why wouldn''t he think of it for you? Or after he got you a yellow gold ering and wedding ring, why not get yellow gold for himself so it matches?

Congrats on the happy ending!
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results