shape
carat
color
clarity

Intaglios

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sixcats

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any information on a place to buy loose intaglios or to have one custom made?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting Q....

Do you have an example in mind? I know that a few gem carvers work intaglios or 3D reverse carving (try Susan Alen, Thomas McPhee and you might want to explore GANA's website for more such names), but no idea where or if more normal 'production' might be done.

Depending on what you have in mind, someone doing hand engraving may be able to help.

You never know what turns out on the web next... including a message board for orders of custom hand engraving shared between a few master engravers. Here it is: LINK I was looking for the sites of a couple of the related shops (Sam Alfano's) and just came onto it - this must be new. I can't remember who of the group also does stone engraving - it doesn't hurt to drop a line and find out.

Just an idea, I wish I knew more.

Best of luck!
1.gif

sixcats

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the sites. I do have something in mind. My DH has a ring given to him by his late Dad. The stone got cracked while he was working a few years ago. I would love to find something similar to set in the ring so he can wear it again. It was a slight purple colored stone with a Roman soldier carved into it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aha! Well... this may not be of much immediate help, but you could find a stone like that in estate jewelry. Probably easier than finding or having a new one made on order. Since I look over auctions for fun, I get to see such pieces (amethyst intaglios and cameos) relatively often. Prices and quality goes all over the place, from hundreds to thousands depending on how fine the carving is. Just happened to remember this one

98342-0848.P01.JPG

sixcats

Rough_Rock
Yes Valeria, the stone is very much like that. It is a soldier wearing a helmet. The ring is having a center piece put in now. Since I wasn''t happy about what I could get, I''m going to keep looking. I don''t mind having to spend $$ on it since it has such sentimental value to DH. When I get the pieces back of the original stone I''ll be able to find a closer match. I''ll have the jeweler note the measurements for me.

sixcats

Rough_Rock
I picked up the finished ring on Christmas Eve. When I first saw the unset stone I wasn''t thrilled and planned on replacing it eventually. Good Old Gold did such an awesome job that DH was thrilled. It isn''t exactly the same as the original, but it was set beautifully and looks great. He cryed when he saw it :)

I just missed getting caught at GOG by DH. He bought me a great pair of diamond earrings there!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Congratulations for the happy ''jewelry exchange''
9.gif

Any chance you could post pictures?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2006 12:58:32 PM
Author: sixcats

Here is a link to the GOG earrings.(And another Christmas gift)
Gorgeous stash!
1.gif
Thanks for posting...

'Another gift' you say.... folks, that's a large, cinnamon colored diamond in a gorgeous ring.
36.gif

cognac2.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
cinamon, cognac, or darker champagne diamond: i don''t care what its called....its gorgeous! this is the kind of diamond that gets me going!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results