shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge 18k Amethyst~Wearability, what would you do?

VintageValuables

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I recently got this stunning vintage but overly large/heavy 18k Italian Gold and Amethyst ring. I really like the piece, but it is so heavy it is hard to wear! :think: It moves a lot and i don't want to damage the stone. Stone is 13mmx21mm and total piece weighs just under 16g. Setting is also very high. It is a size 9 and i definitely have to bring that down to about a 7 to be comfortable, but i was wondering if it would be worthing adding a thicker band instead? What do you guys think? Is sizing enough or should i put my $$ into a redesign? Any other suggestions? What would u do?
img_6886.jpgimg_6887.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Amethysts are really soft. It's going to get scratched and dinged if you wear it often as a ring. I'd re-set it as a pendant for protection and wearability.

Nice Rock! :love: :love: :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice size for a pendant!

I too would not wear Amethyst as a ring on a regular basis due to durability issue. If I were to set one in a ring, it would definitely be bezel-set.

DK :))

VintageValuables

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I never thought about making it into a pendant! Thats a great idea! I don't plan on wearing it as an everyday ring, but i might be to scared to wear it even occasionally! Its really pretty as a ring, but I'm not sure i want to risk damaging it. If i convert to a pendant I would like to keep the setting if possible but I'm wondering if it would look awkward as a pendant…..hmmm. Maybe some kind of enhancer so it can be worn with pearls? Suggestions? & isn't it a wonderful stone? :love: Even though its kinda awkward as a ring, i couldn't pass it up!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How deep is the stone? The problem with having a rounded back like that on a pendant is that the pendant will constantly be rolling from side to side - unless you use a chain that allows the pendant to nestle in your cleavage. :whistle: There's also going to be some physics involved in designing and placing the bail so the piece will hang straight. Well, maybe not physics exactly, but be sure to work with a good jeweler who can figure this out or there will be a lot of trial and error and :wall: involved.

Personally I'd keep it as a ring. My thinking is this - it's going to be a sizeable, statement piece that raises wearability and personal style issues either as a pendant or as a ring. And either way, it's probably not going to be an everyday piece. So if you're comfortable wearing that large a piece, why have a wider shank put on it to make it more stable and comfortable to wear, and wear it as a ring? I think a ring can get more use since it's not worn directly on or next to clothing, so there are less color/style coordination issues. I also think a ring packs a bit more punch, style-wise, since it's showcased on your hand. It's true that the stone is potentially more exposed to damage, but it's going to be an occasional piece either way, and it's large enough that you're going to forget to remove it when you start to do something that could obviously damage it. BTW amethyst is my birthstone, and I wore an amethyst ring on an almost daily basis for many years. I'll grant you that the stone was nowhere near as large as this, but... scratching was never an issue. They're not diamonds to be sure, but amethysts are fairly hardy stones.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd wear it! the workmanship on the back of the setting is really stunning.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd keep it as a ring - I don't think that design will transfer well to a pendant, it will roll around on you. I think it would be fine to wear it occasionally - out to dinner, the movies, parties etc.

VintageValuables

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for all the tips, your giving me some great ideas! :D I do really like it as a ring, its fun to wear as the gold trim around the stone catches the light just perfectly! Maybe i will go for a slightly larger shank, it might improve the overall look of the ring as well as wearability! Ive always thought it was silly such a large setting was on a tiny little band.

I do like the pendant idea but my main concern is that it would turn into a roll polly like everyone is mentioning. The setting is almost egg shaped, and would take someone really talented to figure out a solution. Total piece sits 15mm off the finger,so it is quite tall!

& it is true almost any stone can be damaged if worn on a ring, just gotta be careful, my mom even chipped her diamond solitaire…. :wall: but then you just can't keep it in a box, even the big ones have to come out every now and then! :lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep jewelry deserves to be worn and enjoyed!

If you decide to change the shank, an Euro shank might be a good idea. They are squared off on the outside, so the ring remains steady on the finger, instead of rolling around. They are really comfortable, too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love my large rings with a Euroshank.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I'd actually leave it exactly as it is and string a velvet cord through the ring and wear it as a pendant - like a fob pendant. Would be amazing.

VintageValuables

Rough_Rock
Ive seen Euro shanks before, but I've not had the privilege to own one yet! Do they make that much of a difference? I know some people like sizing beads to prevent a large stone from moving? Hadn't thought to change the type of shank other than thickness, so that a really good point.

& i like the idea to string it on velvet! That way i can wear it as a pendant or a ring! :love:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 24 carat blue topaz ring but would not wear it every day. I would do away with the metal surrounding your stone but that is just my taste and may not be yours.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just noticed the side view, I would not do away with the ring with that, I think it is lovely from the side with the gold detailing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results