shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a birthday gift ring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockshopper82

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first post and I know next to nothing about jewelry so I''m hoping you guys can help me out. I''m looking for a birthday gift for my girlfriend of 6 months. Her b-day is in April so I figure a modest right-hand ring with a small diamond (diamond would be her birthstone after all) would be appropriate. Her family and friends are brand-conscious (she is not at all) so the brand matters...

I''ve narrowed it down to the following rings and I''m hoping someone may have pictures of one of them on someone''s finger or have an opinion on which is best? She is about 5''3" and petite-ish if that helps, ring size 6 and she prefers dainty/understated jewelry. The Atlas ring is only 3mm wide and I''m worried that''s too small and the diamond itself will be laughably small, but the Lanieres ring may be too bulky? Are these even good gifts?

1. Cartier Lanieres Pink Gold (TW unknown but small):
http://www.cartier.us/#/show-me/jewelry/b4075600-lanières-ring

2. Tiffany Atlas Ring White Gold (TW unknown but small):
Tiffany & Co Atlas Ring

3. Tiffany Elsa Peretti Teardrop Platinum (.14 ct TW):
Tiffany & Co Elsa Peretti Teardrop Platinum

lulu

Ideal_Rock
What type of woman is she? The first two are very modern while the Elsa Peretti is classic and romantic. That would be my choice.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first one. I love the pink gold. It is unique, but not overly trendy, and still classic.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
WOW! What a catch you are...just 6 months dating and already shopping at Tiffanys and Cartier! Just want to make sure you realize...you set the bar high at the beginning you are setting yourself up for years of the same!
2.gif

I think your choices are great! But I would like to point out...as a girl I once was...a ring box from a boyfriend/suitor would be so confusing to receive! I mean...I would think could it be? This soon? And then you are choosing single stone rings...which could be misunderstood when opened. I just wanted to get that out there...in the conversation...so you think it through.

That budget is most generous for a bday gift...what ever you go with I am sure she will be thrilled. The atlas rings to me express a solid statement. The numerals and shape is definitely not like an engagement or a promise ring. At this post, we haven't learned much about her, whether she is dainty and girlie or not.

I went to Tiffany and searched all the rings. There was one I liked...still a single stone...but it was a dangle bezel set. I tried to copy the link...lets hope it works...Bezel Dangle I really like it. It doesn't say promise, or engagement or placeholder...it is birthday festive fun. So I wanted to point you there.

Also, with that budget, you can do a lot of sterling shopping. I can't believe I am trying to talk a buyer out of a diamond purchase...my doing so is so against WOMAN CODE. Strike me down NOW!

They have great bracelets with diamonds too. I like how you are tying the diamond in with the April Bday! You get kudos from me on that! I just want you to make the ring more fashion like...so it isn't misunderstood? Forgive me if I am overstepping...Just strike me DOWN NOW!
6.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you would consider a pendant or bracelet? A ring (with a single diamond) seems a bit too symbolism-laden for a birthday present after 6 months but just my opinion!

rockshopper82

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions and observations! This forum is great!

Well I thought long and hard about getting her a bracelet but she''s a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl so she would probably just put it in a drawer and never wear it. She didn''t even know what a tennis bracelet was when I asked her if she owned one! I got her a simple necklace with a religious pendant on it about 3 months ago and she wears it every day (which warms my heart) so another necklace would be overkill. I am considering rings because it would be something she could wear every day if she wanted to and not have to worry about losing it or whether it matches her clothes, etc.

Lulu, she''s very low maintenance, more of a guy''s girl if that helps anyone make a recommendation.

Casablanca, I appreciate you combing the Tiffany site and I like the ring you pointed out, now I have yet ANOTHER ring to choose from. Ahhhh! No just kidding. That''s a great suggestion, very classy and subtle.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You already got some great suggestions so I''ll try to keep this short.

Have you considered a ring with several smaller diamonds? Since your budget (and brand choice) doesen''t allow for a large single stone, than I think you could get "more bang for the buck" by choosing the style with several slightly smaller stones.

How about the idea of getting a champagne diamond (if you can find some on the sites that you''re browsing)? They usually don''t cost as much as whites so you can get a larger stone for the same money and they come in many lovely shades of light brown. Of course I''m not talkng those poor excuses for a diamond sold under the name "champagne" by various big tv shopping networks - stay away from those if you value your money.

Gold should generally be less expensive than gold, and the lesser the purity, the lower the price (in most cases). So a 14k gold ring (with all else equal) should be much more affordable than a comparable platinum ring, and if you find diamonds set in silver, even better.

You can also get her a loose gemstone and let her pick the piece in which she''d like to have it set (and for which you''ll pay for as an added surprise). Maybe it doesen''t sound romantic and it doesen''t invlove brand names, but you could get a stone from a famous cutter, which is sort of a brand, and get a setting from a well known jeweller.

Make sure that the metal that holds the stones is strong and thick enough (doesen''t have to be bulky, but don''t buy things with paper-thin prongs either), and that the whole piece, in terms of construction, seems solid. I know that as a newbie you can''t notice too much, but the best way to learn about jewellery is to observe and visually compare. You seem to have enough interest to do so.

Not sure buying a brand is that great of an idea in this case, cause she''s not into it, and you could get her something (maybe) nicer without a brand name for the same money, but if it''ll give you a piece of mind than go for it.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Oh you are welcome, Rockshopper. I have to tell you I toiled my self to sleep last night thinking I over stepped my opinion where you asked...not. So I feel better that others are somewhat agreeing. Thanks for accepting my opinion with grace!

I think she would surprise you on what she would wear if she had it. She may not have a bracelet worthy of display...that could be why she doesn''t wear one. Does she wear a watch? If so have you noticed the brand or style?

Obviously you choose the right necklace before...and she does like wearing it. But just like shoes and purses...all girls love a wardrobe of variety. Some days she may want to wear a different length of necklace because of a different collar of clothing. They make chain options now that allow the wearer to adjust the back so the front of the piece falls shorter or longer depending on what we wear. (variety!)

What I am trying to say is...One necklace may not fit or fall into everyday wear. Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder...sometimes taking something out for a special event once in while is more sentimental to us than that that we wear everyday. SO...just because you see us wearing one thing only...Oh poo, the jewelry buying stuff is hard...but I am trying to encourage you not to use a check list to direct which way or which piece to choose...does that make sense?

On that same vein I submit this one for necklace consideration...it is Plat...which is substantial...one stone...which is her bday...and it is nothing to misunderstand...just offers variety in her wardrobe...

Swing Pendant

PS...may I ask her age? I think if we knew age appropriate pieces would be easier to figure out. And returning to your Original question of which of your three choices would we recommend may be easier.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a ring. My husband gave me a ring on our 1 year dating anniv and there was no doubt in my mind about his intentions. I would probably recommend a diamond band though, because it''s something she can still use on a daily basis when/if you guys get married/engaged/etc. Here''s my recommendation:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP01931&mcat=148204&cid=287466

rockshopper82

Rough_Rock
She will be turning 33 in April, I'm 28 if that matters (although from my lack of jewelry knowledge you all could have guessed I was in my 20's haha)

I am beginning to agree with those of you who have said that a ring may send the wrong message. She is a certified commitment-phobe and she's fiercely independent so perhaps just seeing the ring box would freak her out. But every time I look at pendants I just keep thinking of how nice that Atlas or Lanieres ring would look on her hand. Maybe I'm being short-sighted...

Casablanca I too like that pendant you pointed out but I'm concerned it may be too small of a stone at .14 ct? What about a Solitaire pendant in .23 ct? That's within my budget but do you think a .23 ct stone would look too small as a solitaire? To answer your question, she doesn't wear a watch or any other jewelry at all besides the necklace I gave her. All she has told me is that she likes simple, elegant jewelry that she can wear without fuss. Whatever that means?

Here is a link to the Tiffany Solitaire:

Tiffany Solitaire Pendant

It's not an outstanding stone at G/VVS1 but I don't think she'll mind as long as it's not too small to wear?

Kama, thank you for your suggestion as well. I went and looked at that exact ring when I was considering the Atlas ring but the saleswoman discouraged me as she said it was too engagement-ish to be a birthday gift. I took her word for it but if you guys tell me it would be a safe gift then I'll seriously consider it because it's classic, subtle, and beautiful, like my girlfriend.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
With that budget you could get her a pair of really gorgeous diamond stud earrings. They go with everything, even jeans and a t-shirt, and she never has to take them off.

ETA: Whiteflash Studs 1/2 c.t.w. (a really great size, and about as big as I'd go for someone understated) will fit very nicely in your budget and still leave room for a sterling or gold pendant in a blue box. :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Diamond stud earrings are a great choice. They are simple, elegant and go with everything, including jeans and T-shirts.

I love thin bezels on studs when they are less than .50 ct each. http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=654&CategID=2

Tiffany sells very similar studs for a lot more money if you must have the blue box. I agree with karpouzi''s suggestion to buy studs online and get a less expensive Tiffany item to go with it if you must have a branded item as part of the gift.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:34:09 AM
Author: rockshopper82
She will be turning 33 in April, I''m 28 if that matters (although from my lack of jewelry knowledge you all could have guessed I was in my 20''s haha)

I am beginning to agree with those of you who have said that a ring may send the wrong message. She is a certified commitment-phobe and she''s fiercely independent so perhaps just seeing the ring box would freak her out. But every time I look at pendants I just keep thinking of how nice that Atlas or Lanieres ring would look on her hand. Maybe I''m being short-sighted...

Casablanca I too like that pendant you pointed out but I''m concerned it may be too small of a stone at .14 ct? What about a Solitaire pendant in .23 ct? That''s within my budget but do you think a .23 ct stone would look too small as a solitaire? To answer your question, she doesn''t wear a watch or any other jewelry at all besides the necklace I gave her. All she has told me is that she likes simple, elegant jewelry that she can wear without fuss. Whatever that means?

Here is a link to the Tiffany Solitaire:

Tiffany Solitaire Pendant

It''s not an outstanding stone at G/VVS1 but I don''t think she''ll mind as long as it''s not too small to wear?

Kama, thank you for your suggestion as well. I went and looked at that exact ring when I was considering the Atlas ring but the saleswoman discouraged me as she said it was too engagement-ish to be a birthday gift. I took her word for it but if you guys tell me it would be a safe gift then I''ll seriously consider it because it''s classic, subtle, and beautiful, like my girlfriend.
Hi Rockshopper, it''s so sweet of you to put so much thought into your gf''s bday! I have to agree with the sales associate about the metro though, I currently have one I wear as a wedding band and to me it may be a bit much for a birthday after 6 months, you know? I bet it would make a great gift in the future though.

I love the idea of a nice pair of diamond studs though! Or if you want to go with a ring of the three you listed the last one is my favorite, although the other two are very nice as well - you clearly have a tough decision to make.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:34:09 AM
Author: rockshopper82
She will be turning 33 in April

:well she is just right then...not just a teeny bopper. I pictured the Atlas choice as being too mature. But I was wrong. Just fits her, I think.

"I am beginning to agree with those of you who have said that a ring may send the wrong message. She is a certified commitment-phobe and she's fiercely independent so perhaps just seeing the ring box would freak her out. But every time I look at pendants I just keep thinking of how nice that Atlas or Lanieres ring would look on her hand. Maybe I'm being short-sighted..."

:I dont' think you are being short-sighted...I can understand why the Atlas is your choice. It is classic and undeniably Tiffany. I just wish there was some way to present a ring box...with the WARNING RIGHT HAND RING ALERT! But you know her...if the Timeless Classic Atlas fits...than JUST DO IT.

"Casablanca I too like that pendant you pointed out but I'm concerned it may be too small of a stone at .14 ct? What about a Solitaire pendant in .23 ct? That's within my budget but do you think a .23 ct stone would look too small as a solitaire? To answer your question, she doesn't wear a watch or any other jewelry at all besides the necklace I gave her. All she has told me is that she likes simple, elegant jewelry that she can wear without fuss. Whatever that means?"

:It means she isn't going to match color beads with every blouse she wears. Or pile on things just for fashion. She is expressing her appreciation of adornment, but in minimalist fashion. A flashy pave encrusted piece isn't her style. You are right...she isn't going to wear numerous pieces at once. She is confident...wants a teeny bit of adornment...but doesn't need more. Sounds like a great gal!

Yes, the size of diamond is smaller in the swing. Oops...I didn't catch that myself. Sorry. I think this new size at .23 is a great one for a necklace. But as a PSer...and a Tiffany dreamer, I would have to say that even my previous pendant choice isn't Tiffany specific. Yes, it will come out of a blue box, but she will have to tell others that it is. Which it doesn't sound like that is really important to her.

So..in that vain...I would forgo the Tiffany Brand pendant choice and source my stone for optimum light performance through BGD, or WhiteFlash. Make the stone speak for itself. That is, if your choice is a simple pendant setting. Sorry I got you so sidetracked...from your original blue box/red box plan. I have been thinking about it and wanted to make certain I could word it right. Also a bezel setting will help to fudge the diamond diameter and appear larger...FYI. And that budget is NOTHING to sneeze at! I think it is so incredibly generous of you for her BDAY!

I wanted to talk to as a friend, so here goes...I wonder if you are focusing on a brand to please "others" in her circle? Because in learning more about her...I dont' see it being that important to her...on the box color. I understand that feeling and do it myself. But I wanted to "give you permission" to step out of that rut...and consider the non brand name as I mentioned previously. When all is said and done the gift longevity is between you and your girlfriend...and not her peers. I hope that didn't read too harsh. But I can tell from your posts that size of the stone is a focus...and as a PSER we want you to learn that CUT trumps size...Now don't get me wrong...Tiffany owners love their pieces! And I too would love any thing you give me...(I will include my address for a consult gift, surely to follow ha ha) but presenting her with a little ball of fire in a well cut stone isn't a SECOND CHOICE by any stretch of the Imagination.

Below are some examples of great cut stones...and you can see with out the premium branding you have the opportunity to WOW the crowd...on that generous budget, without the blue packaging...

nearly half a carat

Larger than your .23

Pendant choices

ps...these were just random stone choices...I meant to show you price and carat size. Just for a comparsion.

Also, my advice isn't what you asked for. And I apologize for overstepping and adding even more to your decision. I just want to arm you with all of your options and support you in what ever you decide is right. She is going to know as soon as she opens the box...that The Atlas Ring is a right hander...that uncomfortable feeling is only going to last for a little bit...and then wearing it will erase all of that clump in the throat feelings she had! (not that you aren't a great choice...I just mean after learning of her commitment phope.) I have put my shoe in my mouth enough here...CB OUT!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to go the non-brand route, you can get a bigger and much BETTER diamond for your budget. For instance, you can get this diamond from Brian Gavin Diamonds and set it in this gorgeous pendant setting for around 1800$.

Also, re: the other diamond band I mentioned earlier, I don''t think it''s too serious a gift. I would think a small diamond stone would be more engagement-y than the band, but that''s only my personal opinion.
1.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the Elsa Peretti ring. Gorgeous and in no way "engagementy".

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ll third (or fourth?) the earring option too - delicate smallish bezel earrings are very subtle and most definitely "without fuss" :)

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
#1 gets my vote. I adore pink gold. It looks so soft and girly.

rockshopper82

Rough_Rock
Again, thank you all for your lovely suggestions and your heartfelt advice to a jewelry novice. Unfortunately my gf saw the Lanieres and Atlas ring bookmarks on my computer and she flipped out about their respective prices. She took the initiative to pick out her own gift, haha, and she gave me a choice between these three rings (I think it's ridiculous that she would choose a wedding band but I'm not going to argue):

1. Channel-Set Sapphire and Diamond 18k White Gold Ring

2. Princess-Cut Sapphire and Diamond 18k White Gold Ring

3. Shared Setting Sapphire and Diamond 18k White Gold Ring

I'm indifferent towards all 3, I would have chosen this one and I still might:

4. 1980 Vintage Sapphire and diamond 14k White Gold Ring

I think they're all wrong but I could once again use some ladies' opinions. Thanks!!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
At this point, now that you know she wants sapphires
30.gif
, I''d head over to the colored stones forum and ask for advice and opinions over there.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with one of the three she wants, but not from Blue Nile. They carry some nice stones, but I think you can do better than their stock pieces.

An option:

This band is $850 for .75 ctw. Call ID Jewelry, ask for Yekutiel, and let him know a) you're from Pricescope, and b) you're looking for (as close to as possible) ideal cut diamonds and alternating nice quality blue sapphires.

According to several customers who've reviewed him in Rocky Talky, his customer service is top-notch.
1.gif
To give you an example of what he can do, he recently made this band for a Pricescoper.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Well if that doesn't burst my bubble! SHE PEEKED? Drats. You are just going to have to tell her, sorry. The board (ahem...the tribal council) has already spoken and she is going to get what WE DECIDE! Ha ha...Just kidding. ;-)

My preference lean toward modern lines so that princess one seems to stand out of the others for me. Clean channel set, fluid, simple, yet precise. Your last entry is my least favorite.

Well, please forgive me from being so vocal worrying about THE RING box presentation. Looks like it was silly to ever suggest fear of a box, anyway.

So happy for you to have direction. Again, you are such a great one for working so tirelessly on finding the perfect gift!

36.gif

PS...please do take the time to consult all PS vendors. As EB suggested, a better cut diamond is going to make your piece really talk on it's own. Oh, and EB's advice sounds great!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi rockshopper82 :)

i bought the third Blue Nile ring your gf was looking at - and it''s lovely. a couple of friends and i bought it for a friend of ours who is single and who wanted a ring -but nothing too engagement-y looking. it''s a lovely ring and looks way better in person than in the photo.

re the ross simons ring... i''m not a fan. i dont trust their diamond quality at ALL, and even in their own photo, those sapphires look dark and dead to me.

just a couple of other comments....

i wouldnt buy a pendant as it means she''d have to take off the cross you bought her, which you said she likes to wear all the time...and which you *like* her wearing all the time.

if it were me, i''d get her diamond studs. and i''d get her these... gorgeous earrings.

good luck with this - she''s one lucky woman. :)

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
My vote goes to the Elsa P. ring--gorgeous and simple
36.gif

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Whit and Amber...

I think you both may have missed his last entry, the girlfriend has revealed her wish list. He is to choose between the three she chose. (maybe similar options are ok?)

The beautiful sapphire/diamond bands were her wish list.

I realize it was hard to catch with all the direction we have put this guy through...but I have a feeling he will be back for a Christmas Gift? Or better yet their one year anniversary...which is October or November???

We'll all get another chance, right Rock Shopper? Please tell us we do!
35.gif

PS...we could convince him sapphire earrings are a must PACKAGE deal to accompany the band....that is if we all stick together on it! Ha. Good thing PS... additions aren't readable by the Original Poster...they aren't right?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I choose #3 from BN.

rockshopper82

Rough_Rock
Don''t worry CasaBlanca, if my gf and I are still together I''ll be back in a few months looking for an anniversary gift and I''ll be looking forward to your opinion. I really appreciate all the candid advice you guys have furnished me with. And I think at that point I may have to go the earrings route since I''ll have run out of types of jewelry! Haha. Honestly though, I''ll just be happy to see her wear whatever I get her and she''s the type that would have worn a ring from Wal-Mart as long as I gave it to her with love so I guess I''m a lucky guy. Who knows, maybe in another 6 months I''ll be shopping for an engagement ring....I shudder to think of the possibilities!

I''ll be sure and post some pics of whatever I end up buying and hopefully some pics of her wearing it too. Thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results