shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me feel confident with my heirloom engagement ring

serenajea

Rough_Rock
Hello! Been lurking for a while and decided to post.

My partner and I are about to get engaged, we were going to get my ring custom made. My partner picked the stone, a lovely brown/champagne diamond .85 . I have simple taste and originally planned on a bezel set solitaire. Then, my Grandmother offered us my Great Grandmothers wedding set. My GG came to Australia as a refugee after WW2 with nothing, she lost her original wedding band in the process and it wasn't until the late 60s that she got her new wedding set - she purchased them for herself (a total independent woman). She was one of the most incredible women you could ever hope to meet, and I am so happy that I get to use her ring and I want to keep the setting in tact, I couldn't bear melting it down as I remember it so clearly on her hand.

However, obviously the style is far from the design I had in mind! We have decided to remove the illusion mount and small stone from the centre and replace it with my diamond (a nice mix of old and new). There are tiny diamonds set in what I've been calling the 'petals' of the setting.

I would love to hear what people think of the mount/ style of the ring. Is it a typical 60s/ 70s style? Will it look extremely dated even with the new stone? Will the champagne diamond look OK claw set in the centre?

Also, as you will see the band is very flat, does this mean my only real option for a wedding band will be something the same style/height? Would a diamond band look strange?

I am also concerned about the durability of this style - would love to hear what people think about that too.

I only have blurry pics of the old setting, the jeweller said she would send me some better ones so I can update later!

I'm 23 y/o and this is my first 'proper' piece of jewellery, I know nothing! Also, I'm very sorry if this is posted in the wrong place!

unnamed__1_5.jpg

_23138.jpg

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
You will probably get more attention or answers if this thread is moved to RockyTalky. However I think this ring is lovely! It looks like the head of the ring is soldered onto the band - right? do you think it might make it easy to remove and place on a different band? I love colored diamonds in a halo. You should post better pictures so we can examine your ring better, that way we can give better advice. And post a pic of the diamond too! :angel: Congratulations on this awesome dilemma! :appl:

serenajea

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I will wait until I get better photos then move across to RockyTalky :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
The finished piece is beautiful!!! You did a great job. Congrats!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely beautiful! As far as a wedding band maybe you want something for the other hand?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your e-ring is lovely, and how wonderful that you've incorporated a family ring into the design!

serenajea|1413025854|3765757 said:
Also, as you will see the band is very flat, does this mean my only real option for a wedding band will be something the same style/height? Would a diamond band look strange?

Personally, I like the wedding band to relate to the e-ring somehow... that doesn't mean though that the two have to share exactly the same design. for example, I think you could go with a half-dome design, where the edge of the ring is about the same height as your e-ring but the dome extends a bit higher... kind of like this milgrained ring from Tiffany.

12228759_941225_ed_m.jpg

Some styles of diamond bands are in such a way that the diamonds "overhang" the edge of the setting. I think this style would look really neat with a flat-edge engagement ring like yours, provided the diamonds are set higher than the shank on your e-ring, if that makes sense. Of course this wouldn't work if the diamonds would scratch any part of the head holding your center cluster in place.

petite_bubble_and_breathe_14kt_rose_gold_diamond_almost_eternity_band_4f29461c.jpg
(http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/pro...st_eternity_band/handmade/jewelry/rings/bands)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow your ring turned out beautifully! :love: It looks amazing on you, I love it! Congratulations! :appl:

I was thinking that a channel set diamond band would look nice with your ring, but one that sits low on the hand and has fairly thin walls. I have a vintage one from 1933 that I bought on Ruby Lane.

Or something like this would work nicely I think -
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/halo-diamond-wedding-band-1142.htm

Ohh, this one is pretty but pricey - I like the squared off edges though.
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/benchmark-full-eternity-diamond-wedding-ring-2805.htm

I don't think it has to match in height exactly to your ering, but I think it would be better to avoid one that rises too high. Maybe you should visit a few jewelry stores and try on some different styles just to get an idea of what you would like and what works best with your ring.

img_6172.jpg

img_6173.jpg

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that ring is GORGEOUS. As for the band, wear whatever you think looks best. I think a simple thin diamond band would be lovely with it, but others here have great suggestions too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results