shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever lost something meaningful?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I lost a silver ring some time back now. I got it in high school. A family friend had given me a gift certificate, and I got a silver ring. It was cheap, but I liked the design and wore it for years. I lost it one day out doing stuff. I didn''t realize it was gone until I got home. I thought that I might have taken it off and put it in my bag or pocket, or that maybe it fell off at home/nearby. It never turned up. I guess it had fallen off while I was out- maybe because it was cold, and maybe I hit my hand on something just right. I occasionally look up the ring and try to find another, but they don''t make it anymore. At least it was something cheap, and not all that old, I guess.

How about you?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I lost an emerald bracelet that my DH gave when we first started dating. It wasn''t expensive and it was yellow gold, not my fav but I wore it and loved it. Then on the day I mailed out our wedding invitations I lost the bracelet. I didn''t tell him and I felt so bad about it. Fortunately months later my mother found it in the cushion of chair in her living room!
36.gif
But as fate would have it I lost it again.....and again months later it was found. I never wore it again and last week I had all the emeralds removed and added the gold to the pile of old gold to sell. I plan to have an eternity ring made out of the emeralds, side by side 6x4 emerald cuts. They are lab created but they''re beautiful and the bracelet just wasn''t meant to be apparently.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The most important piece was a 1920s jade and gold ring that was given to me by my parents on my 23rd birthday.It went missing from the jewelry tray and was found a year later hiding in the back of the safty deposit box.The most sentimental piece was a sterling bracelet from my mom...its still somewhere on a beach in Porland Oregon
7.gif

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
cnspotts,

Wow, it got lost more than once?!? The ring sounds like it will be pretty... I hope you''ll post pics when it''s made. Lab or not, it sounds like a nice sentimental piece and like a neat ring.

jewelerman,

I''m glad you found the 1920s jade. I would hate to loose something old or heirloom. I can relate to loosing a sentimental piece. I hope the beach is enjoying it. Have you thought of replacing it? I know that wouldn''t be the same at all, but maybe better than nothing (or maybe not)? That''s really a shame that it stayed lost, and presumably on a vacation, nonetheless.
7.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 6:50:18 PM
Author: ringthings

cnspotts,

Wow, it got lost more than once?!? The ring sounds like it will be pretty... I hope you''ll post pics when it''s made. Lab or not, it sounds like a nice sentimental piece and like a neat ring.

jewelerman,

I''m glad you found the 1920s jade. I would hate to loose something old or heirloom. I can relate to loosing a sentimental piece. I hope the beach is enjoying it. Have you thought of replacing it? I know that wouldn''t be the same at all, but maybe better than nothing (or maybe not)? That''s really a shame that it stayed lost, and presumably on a vacation, nonetheless.
7.gif
ringthings,
I actually have replaced the bracelet!I bought a sterling mans hinged bangle.It has a sandblasted body with a small princess cut diamond(SI-H-I) flush set in the top of the piece.This one dosnt go on vacation!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, only my engagement ring...

I know, terrible...I''ve told this sad story before on PS, but I''ll tell it again because it makes me feel better...My daughter was around 4, and playing in my room and looking at my jewelry (most of which is costume) while I folded laundry. I glanced over and saw that she was looking at my engagement ring, which I had put in a ring box because the prongs on the setting had broken and the diamond was loose. I said something like "Uh oh, that''s not a good thing to be playing with" and I took it from her, and to this day I could swear I put it on the counter in the connecting bathroom (kind of like a dressing table area). I went to look for it some days later and couldn''t find it! I tore the bathroom and bedroom apart and just couldn''t find it. I have no idea what could have happened to that box. Every once in awhile I''ll go crazy and look for it again. I can''t imagine I would have accidentally thrown it out, but that''s the only thing I can think of. My only hope is that maybe it somehow ended up in another part of the house. My dream is to find it and post about it here on PS!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I was just thinking about this last week. It still upsets me.

I had a miscarriage several years ago and I bought an emerald and diamond ring as a sort of memorial / mommy ring. It wasn''t terribly expensive, but it was precious. Emerald would have been her birthstone.

I lost a lot of weight, and it was spining on my finger. It fell off one day when I was getting dressed, and I left it on my dresser when I went to work so I wouldn''t lose it, planning to have it sized at the weekend. Well, it was the day our house was burgled, so it was stolen. Along with my grandmother''s wedding band, which I always wore with it.

I''ve never seen another ring quite like it, and I didn''t even try to replace it at the time, although we were insured. Recently, I started looking for something similar, but it just upsets me too much.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I''m still too angry/upset/embarrassed to share the story....

I''m still hoping I''ll find it though!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes. My grandmother gave me a silver signet ring when I was a child and I lost it in a brook (anyone who's lived in the northeast of the US knows what a brook is). I remember looking in the water among the rocks and sand and crawfish (like little lobsters- tiny in fact). Isn't that a sad story? I still remember trying to find that ring and not being able to.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
15.gif
yes, in college my parents gave me a cameo ring that belong''s to my dad''s mom (she died when he was in college, several years before he met my mom, got married, and had me...) I wore it all the time, but somehow lost it when moving out of my apt. after my Jr. year in college.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
yes.

I am a very sentimental person. Both of my parents are deceased. One Christmas, my parents gave me a gold band that had Hope, Faith, and Love etched on the outside of it. My name is Hope. My sister''s name is Faith. My sister still has hers. I went swimming in Biloxi on the Gulf and lost the ring swimming.

Before he died, my father gave me his father''s wedding band. It was antique rose rolled gold. I lost it when I was running.

My current gf gave me a diamond ring when we were together (last time). We broke up and got back together. I just don''t know where that ring is, and am not 100% certain that I gave it back to her during our breakup.

I don''t even wear a lot of jewelry, but I am really good at losing it! I''ve lost expensive diamond earrings.

I pretty much only wear jewelry that was given to me, so nearly all my jewelry has sentimental value. Basically, I have insisted that no one give me any jewelry. Yet my gf insists on getting a class ring for my BA graduation... maybe because I have managed to keep up with my high school ring all these years.
33.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was around 11 years old my grandmother took a trip to Mexico and brought me back a beautiful silver and turquoise ring. I wore it all the time, I loved it so! One day at school I took it off to wash my hands and I left without putting it back on my finger. I realized my loss about halfway between school and home and I ran as fast as I could back to the school, only to find that my ring was no longer sitting where I left it. I have never found another quite like it, and I still miss that pretty little ring
39.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's a gold cross that my grandmother gave me that had her baby teeth marks in it. I still think I have that though -- somewhere.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That reminds me- my grandfather lost his wedding ring after wearing it for 50 years! He thinks it''s somewhere in his house. That''s what he told me but that was a year ago. I don''t think he''s going to find it.
8.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am a very sentimental person and I am still upset thinking about it.

I gave my late father's platinum wedding band to my DH as his wedding band. Sadly he lost it in the north shore ocean in Oahu, Hawaii last winter when we went snorkeling. We gave up the rest of our vacation to search for it with rental medal detector, sadly we could not locate it.

It is prob resting peacefully with swimming turtles and colorful fishes, but my heart still breaks thinking about losing it in the sea.

I need a hug!
7.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!
39.gif
I got a platinum 3 stone ring for my 16th bday. It was an old estate sapphire center with diamond sides and I wore it every single day. One night when I was partying in Gainesville in my early 20''s I took off all my jewelry because we were going swimming and I put all my rings and earrings onto a necklace and put it all into my bag on the way to the pool. Well it must have slipped off and I didn''t notice because when we were done and I was putting it back on it was all there except that ring! Oh I looked for it everywhere but either someone picked it up or it fell into a drain or something.

I still mourn the loss of that ring from time to time.
39.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Oh, yes
7.gif
. The day we picked up my upgraded engagement ring, I put the original in a pouch in my purse. I was so enthralled with my new ring, I didn''t think to take the original out of my bag and put it in the safe until several days later...but, when I looked, I could find neither the pouch nor the ring inside it. My heart hit the floor
7.gif
. I back-tracked to every place I had been, but found nothing.
38.gif
That was one of the saddest times of my life.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/6/2010 3:04:34 AM
Author: Imdanny

Yes. My grandmother gave me a silver signet ring when I was a child and I lost it in a brook (anyone who''s lived in the northeast of the US knows what a brook is).
I do not want to minimize the loss of your ring, Danny, but I have to comment on the word, "brook" in your posting above. I had no idea it was colloquial! Having lved in the northeastern United States all my life, I thought that, "brook" was a standard English word. Is it not used in England?

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My first gold ring, that had a tiny sapphire (dad''s birthstone). I got it when I turned 12. My purse was stolen at school a year later. The year after that, it showed up in the lost and found!

I also had a quarter carat heart shaped diamond that was stolen from my car by my neighbors one night. I had found it at an antique stall, and the diamond was just beautiful. This was, gosh, eleven years three apartments and a house ago.

elle

Shiny_Rock
My late grandmother gave me a diamond cross when I got married. The chain broke one day when I was wearing it at a festival in a park. I didn''t even realise until I got home. The chain fell inside my top but the cross was gone.
8.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/7/2010 5:32:13 PM
Author: AGBF

I had no idea it was colloquial! Having lved in the northeastern United States all my life, I thought that, 'brook' was a standard English word. Is it not used in England?

Since no one else answered me, I did a little research myself. I guess I am a curious sort. (I once heard, "The New York Times" reporter Nan Robertson say that a newspaper reporter had to be curious. I wonder If I could have been a newspaper reporter?) It seems as if there is some agreement that people in the northeastern United States are keeping the word, "brook" in use (at least in the United States). I am not sure how much it is used in the UK. The origins of the word, however, are certainly in old English and old German. Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote a poem called, "The Brook". So it was certainly a word once used in England!

THE BROOK

by: Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)

COME from haunts of coot and hern,
I make a sudden sally,
And sparkle out among the fern,
To bicker down a valley.

By thirty hills I hurry down,
Or slip between the ridges,
By twenty thorps, a little town,
And half a hundred bridges.

Till last by Philip's farm I flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on forever.

I chatter over stony ways,
In little sharps and trebles,
I bubble into eddying bays,
I babble on the pebbles.

With many a curve my banks I fret
by many a field and fallow,
And many a fairy foreland set
With willow-weed and mallow.

I chatter, chatter, as I flow
For men may comeand men may go,
But I go on forever.

I wind about, and in and out,
with here a blossom sailing,
And here and there a lusty trout,
And here and there a grayling,

And here and there a foamy flake
Upon me, as I travel
With many a silver water-break
Above the golden gravel,

And draw them all along, and flow
But I go on forever.

I steal by lawns and grassy plots,
I slide by hazel covers;
I move the sweet forget-me-nots
That grow for happy lovers.

I slip, I slide, I gloom, I glance,
Among my skimming swallows;
I make the netted sunbeam dance
Against my sandy shallows.

I murmur under moon and stars
In brambly wildernesses;
I linger by my shingly bars;
I loiter round my cresses;

And out again I curve and flow
But I go on forever.

AGBF
34.gif

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, yes. The first was a pretty little amethyst ring I recieved for my first Communion. I only wore it on Sundays for church. Well, one Sunday, I was washing my hands, and took the ring off so I wouldn''t get soap stuck in it. The ring fell down the drain. I never took my rings off to wash my hands again. Later, I lost a pearl ring that was my mother''s. I have no idea where that ring went, but I really liked it, and it was special because my mother loved pearls so much.

More recently, I misplaced my diamond pendant and earrings. The pendant was my grandmothers, then mom''s, then mine. The earrings were a college graduation gift from my aunt and uncle and perfectly match the pendant. Long story, but they were put in a little jewelry box, then in a bag in my closet for "safekeeping" while our house was on the market. The bag wound up in the basement, forgotten. The bag had some old clothes I wanted to give away, but, luck was on my side, and the bag was packed up with all our things and moved 3000 miles across the country. Three months later, I found the bag in a box of various unrelated items from the basement. I couldn''t believe it when I found it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I lost a diamond band my parents gave me when I was in college. I was sick about. I found it a few years later. Turns out I hid it really well when we went on our honeymoon and forgot I hid it
3.gif

My mom lost her grandmother''s diamond engagement ring and my grandmother has recently lost her engagement ring and RHR. Painful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I''ve had a couple of near misses - the last prompted me to get an actual jewellery box right quick.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Sometime last spring or summer, I lost the diamond pendant my grandparents had given me a few years ago. It was a .25 ct stone set in what looked like a bezel that was too big for it. It was set half bezeled and held by one prong at the bottom of the circle. The design was so unique and pretty; I was so sad to lose it. My grandfather ended up passing away in the early fall, which made the loss of the pendant doubly difficult. I actually ended up replacing it with a new pendant recently--a BGD bezel pendant with .75 ct BGd Signature H&A diamond, which I absolutely love (see avatar). I still miss the old one, but I'm pretty happy with the replacement.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for all of you who''ve lost a meaningful piece!

I lost a ring that was very dear to me. DH bought me an emerald and diamond ring for Christmas in the first few years we dated. I really loved that ring and wore it everyday. When I moved back to Missouri, I stopped wearing it and put it back in its box. While feeling nastalgic one day, I took it out to look at it and I have no recollection of what happened to it after that. I tore my apartment apart looking for it. I even went out to the trash collection area and dug through bags of trash to find the bag I threw out that day. To this day, I have no idea what happened, but I''m still upset that I don''t have it. I still have the matching earrings he bought me a couple of years later and wore them on my wedding day, but I really wish I still had the ring.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I''m really sorry to hear about everyone''s important jewelry loss
8.gif
This thread is quite a downer!

I haven''t lost any significant jewelry, probably because I barely own any jewelry. If I was to lose my engagement ring, I''d be totally hearbroken
8.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I made a toe-ring in metalshop in junior high (I know - very classy and elegant!) - wore it until my ex-bf lost it.. It had some sentimental value because I worked on it myself, but no actual value (it began its life as a nut)
Other than that, luckily I haven''t lost any pieces with actual monetary value or serious sentimental value

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Lost a DY bracelet my mom had given me for Christmas about 5 years ago..I felt ill. At the time it was one of the nicest pieces I owned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results