shape
carat
color
clarity

Good source for pieces with easy or no clasps???

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom has asked for jewelry for Christmas, but because she has arthritis she has difficulty with pieces with clasps. I am looking for big, easy clasps, or pieces that don't have one. Any ideas???

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Large toggle clasps might be easier for her, but they are more common in casual pieces. Or perhaps a long necklace that can be slipped over her head, without a clasp. Bangles or cuff bracelets are also easy.

What is her style? Fine jewelry or more casual pieces?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
What about just a long strand of pearls? There are plenty of them that are designed to loop around a couple of times, and they don't have any clasps at all. She can wear it doubled very easily. And she can take put it on or take it off herself, which is a nice gift for her dignity.

You can go with inexpensive (but gorgeous) freshwaters from Cathy:
http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1490

Or not-too-pricey Tahitians from Sarah:
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/tahitian-circle-pearl-rope

To learn more about pearls, ask around in the pearls forum, we're a helpful bunch! :wavey:

Look around both sites, they both have some nice options, and they're trusted sellers according to the pearl forum members.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I thought you might like to see these, too. They are rings that basically open up to go around arthritic knuckles.

http://www.tripps.com/prod2_ring_adj.htm

Any decent jeweler can soldier on any kind of head on these shanks. So, if her fingers are swollen and she can't wear her engagement diamond or another favorite ring anymore, you can have it reset using one of these shanks.

I've ordered from this company and they are 100% reliable.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has the same issues where doesn't want any problem with taking jewelry on and off by herself. So she likes necklaces that are 28-32" long so they can be slipped over her head, and leverback or huggie earrings instead of post earrings with the easy to lose backs. Bracelets are a hard one, because she does not like cuffs but most bracelet clasps are murder. So she pretty much doesn't wear bracelets.

I don't know where your mom is in her life, but (other than me fixing her birthstone piece) my mother has specifically asked me not to buy her expensive jewelry, and is usually pretty specific about what type of costume or silver/semi precious gemstone pieces she wants in order to coordinate with her clothes. We all love jewelry around her, but everyone is not as crazy about it as we are, so I would find out from her what she pretty specifically wants rather than spending money on something she doesn't end up wearing very much.

Kojima Company

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi to you all... This is my first time posting here... I just had to chime in about the need for easy to use clasps. After so many years in the pearl business, I have a soft spot in my heart for the ladies who hate "fiddling" with a clasp, and find themselves NOT wearing their pearls because of it.
My #1 choice for the most secure and easiest to use clasp on the market today are these rhodium plated sterling silver kind of kidney bean shaped clasps. To operate them you push on the back with your thumb which releases the rod. To secure them .. simply push the rod and the clasp makes a reassuring "schnap" to let you know all is well. They are possible to unlatch with one hand, and with a little planning to latch with one hand as well. They also come in a gold plated variety (and in different shapes and sizes as well). I buy them in Thailand, and I am sure they are readily available , but haven't yet figured out who sells them online. I will post some better photos of this style later .. but I just had to chime in here.
And another great style (as someone already mentioned) is a toggle clasp. Here is a photo of a more delicate variety.
I hope this helps the less nimble enjoy the pearls they deserve!
Cheers, Sarah

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results