shape
carat
color
clarity

eternity band with "rough" edges

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrewSD

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

... I say "rough" edges in the subject for lack of a better description...

I just received a diamond eternity band from Whiteflash. It looks great, but my finacee made the comment that the ring feels "rough". As in, when rubbing her finger along the outside, it feels somewhat abrasive. (More to the point, when she wears it, the ring rubs against the neighboring two fingers.) We''d previously bought a Memoire eternity band from a local store and subsequently returned it when we discovered what a price difference it was (2.5x!), but she doesn''t recall that Memoire band having this rough quality. We''re going to try to go back to the local store tomorrow to do the side-by-side comparison. I guess my question to you folks would be, is this normal and expected of most/all eternity bands? Is there something unusual about this ring based on what you can see from the pictures (attached)? Is it worth ordering essentially the same ring from Signed Pieces to also do the head-to-head?

Any guidance and thoughts are much appreciated...

DSCN1255b.JPG

andrewSD

Rough_Rock
hmmm, I guess quotes don''t come through on the subject line... oh well...

picture 2/3

DSCN1253.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normal? No. Expected from a random cull of eternity rings? Yeah...

The tips of the prongs seem to protrude a bit, and if the band is thick, they will rub against the neighbouring fingers. Eternity bands are somewhat more thickish than plain bands - even the small ones, so that may not change much between models. perhaps another would come with more discrete prongs: be it Memoire or another no-name. I would rather consider this problem a basic issue, rather than indulgence. Perhaps WF can take care of it for you. I am sure they would know what the complain is about. Bracelets and bands set with small stones need to pass a 'no snag' test before getting released for use. Maybe this one fell in the wrong basket off the conveyor belt
11.gif
Sure enough, I can't touch it to see for myself... and for what I know, it could be that the setting used for this one is a bit rougher by design
33.gif
and a different model would fit better.

This is the poster kid for shared prong eternity bands from WF's website. Any difference ?

gi_DN-1265wb_f.jpg

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I think Ana is right. The prongs seem to protrude.

Was the ring from your local store a shared-prong ring too? I think there are other styles of rings that are more comfortable (ie maybe channel set or pave.

Comfort should be a top priority for something I''m assuming she will wear everyday.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would send it back, and tell them to fix the prongs. Are you still with in the 10 day period? My orignal e-ring setting was from WF and it felt rough to me as well and in the end rubbed my finger raw to the point of bleeding. Which was no fun. Call your sales rep and tell them what problems you are having.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I would send it back, if you still can. Those prongs definitely look like they''re sticking out too far, IMO.

andrewSD

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are well within our 10 day period so I''ll give them a call today. Unfortunately (or not), my fiancee seems quite attached to the shared prong design. Hopefully WF will be able/willing to fix it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with the rest of the gang. have WF fix it, they shouldn''t rub or hurt her.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I understand. I had just never seen this happen on here before.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 11:09:04 AM
Author: Pyramid
Just wondering why is Pricescope getting involved in this?
Pyramid, not to answer your question with another question short answer would be "To point out some other issues on this ring with graphic".

Now i can ask my question : "Why shouldn''t I be getting involved?" Do you have any particular rules for me i am not aware of?"
Thank you.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 1:28:25 PM
Author: Pricescope
Date: 4/23/2006 11:09:04 AM
Author: Pyramid
Just wondering why is Pricescope getting involved in this?
Pyramid, not to answer your question with another question short answer would be ''To point out some other issues on this ring with graphic''.

You guys are TOTALLY making me wanna get Photoshop! Is that what you''ve been using?? Paging Valeria/Ana too -- WHAT TOOLS are you using to do such cool stuff.

(I''m working on my website and wanna make "buttons" that look like pink jelly beans or juicy "wet" bubble-gum pink 3D ovals and then put text on it to click through. Aiigh. I wish I had artistic & tech skills!!!!!!)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all let me say that I am sure WF will work with you to correct the problem to your satisfaction. They seem to have excellent customer service.

Secondly, I recently purchased a Memoire five stone band. While I realize that I could have had it made for less by WF and SP, in the end I opted to go with Memoire. The workmanship was outstanding. I was buying a band that I wanted to have forever so for me it was worth putting the money into it. Bill Pearlman of Pearlman''s will be more than happy to explain the process of how this ring is made - not a cast mounting. He knows much more about the process than I care to remember. However, the feel of this ring was superb and I have seen other bands that had prong issues, stone calibration issues, etc. that I just didn''t want to deal with. If you would like the indepth explanation, give Bill a call.

The stone quality was my first and foremost concern - the stones in this band are outstanding - but the next issue was comfort and quality of make. I found all of these in the Memoire band. More money - yes - worth it - oh, yeah, definitely IMHO!

Good luck with your comparison of the two bands side by side - would love to hear your take on it. I am sure that WF will work on this ring if you decide to keep it to assure that you are completely happy with it.

The world is full of choices - the same thing is not right for all of us but something is right for each one of us!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 2:07:08 PM
Author: Pricescope
Deco, give me jelly sizes and i will make buttons for you
You guys are too generous! I emailed ya.

SORRY AndrewSD, for hijacking! Pretty ring! I've been fantasizing about eternity rings lately. Hope it gets fixed up to be super comfie ASAP!

ETA: edited 'cause I mistook Pyramid for the Original Poster: AndrewSD!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina

I have absolutely NO rules for you, you own this board not I. To tell the truth I was just curious after reading what an ex member here had written on another diamond board.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pyramid, it is rather sad
14.gif

I also notice that since it was mentioned in a post on this board that members once they get to 10,000 posts will get a $1000 discount from whiteflash that more and more members on even one individual post as praising WF and it is getting so common now it is starting to look like there is some sort of favouritism for that vendor.
Please search the board: we gave $1,000 to three members with 10,000 posts to spend with ANY advertiser as they wish. Mara used it with WF, Kalegh - with Pearlman's Jewelers and we sent a check to Valeria since she's in Europe and she spent it on her vacation (if I remember correctly).

I just want you to keep in mind that with the traffic as we have, there are folks that can imagine anything and spread nasty gossips - it is inevitable whatever you would do. You might just want to give us a benefit of the doubt and check the facts before...

WF indeed is getting a lot of publicity here (both good and bad btw) for different reasons but not because of some special relationship with PS. There are other PS advertisers who I think deserve more publicity than they currently have. I don't want to go into analysis of why different companies have different degrees of business success and publicity.

The reason why we posted the picture above is to show the problems with the quality of the ring, not to "protect" WF as you probably assumed.

The reason (believe it or not) is that we are concerned when consumers are having bad experience especially with our advertisers. We wanted to make sure that WF is aware that there is a problem with this ring and make it right.

We never thought that this can be construed as any "special relationship"
40.gif
(Why some people so easily believe in the worst scenario?
32.gif
)

ETA: well, it was Leonid, i Irina do have an answer for his last question, it's not that rhetorical or even complicated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
To add to this storry... The ex-member you mentioned also wrote: "Any negative buzz about them on PS gets deleted or lambasted anyway...there is some major shadiness regarding that partnership...when I called them on it I got banned. So that answers that Im sure. "

Here''s what happened. She posted on PS that we have "secret moderators" who delete anything bad about WF. When we asked her (privately) where she got this weird idea and whether she can remind us about any deleted bad testimonial on WF, she replied:

....The point I am trying to make is that it sure *seems to me* (not necessarily completely reality) that you and Irina are not the only two moderating, which I might be wrong, but I feel like if there are more moderators than just you two, that should maybe be public information, because that way if something does happen that requires a moderator to step in on, we know who to go to if you aren''t online. Im not even remotely implying that You and Irina are the ones who just adore WF. I tend to think of the 3-4 WF groupies as those people, and that is where my question of who besides you are moderators on here. I sometimes feel like rules only apply to specific members and that specific folks can get away with a lot more than others who may or may not have been here longer, again JUST MY FEELING...
My reply:

1. Not a single negative post about WF was removed or edited.
  2. There are no any secret moderators.
  3. If you had something factual (good or bad) to say about your personal experience with WF, you had all the rights and possibilities to share it on the open forums.
  4. Your post is a personal insult to us. Since you are not happy about the way the forum is moderated we decided to terminate your membership on the board.
Respectfully...
We hate gossips
38.gif
If someone enjoy it, please do it elsewhere.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
AndrewSD, I'm sorry for hijacking your topic. Hope it will get back on track now.

Please post as much details as you feel appropriate and be sure no negative posts about advertisers has been or will be removed. All consumers should share any factual experience (good or bad, with advertisers or not) on this forum.
21.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Andrew, what did you decide to do with the ring? Did you send it back to WF for repairs?

andrewSD

Rough_Rock
Wow, I''ve been blissfully ignorant to all the recent activity/discussion! For some reason I thought I''d "subscribed" to this topic and would get emails when others posted, but apparently not... In any case, I came back to post the follow up now that I have some more details and information.

I have had one phone call so far last Thursday with my WF salesperson who said that she''s never heard that complaint before. She said she''d talk to people there and get back to me. I got a phone message and email yesterday (Tuesday) but I haven''t yet had the chance to speak to her again. I''ll call her back tomorrow morning.

Last week, we also went back to the local place where we bought the memoire ring, and after comparing them side by side, there was definitely a noticeable difference. As someone alluded to before, the sales rep gave us the pitch on how memoire rings are "laser forged" and not molded. Don''t know if that''s the reason, but the prongs were definitely smaller. By "smaller" I mean both looking down at the face of the diamond (the amount of metal you see relative to the surface of the diamond), and also looking at the ring''s profile (how high the prongs rise above the face of the diamond, as illustrated in the pictures I posted before). Also, the height of the ring was smaller, which was one of the considerations for my fiancee. Finally, although not noticeable just by casual glance, on close inspection the memoire ring was definitely more uniform. By "uniform", I mean that the face of each diamond was consistently on a tangent to the circle that forms the ring, whereas the WF ring had some noticeable cases where things were "off". (hope that description made sense; I''ll try to post pictures to illustrate better...)

Again, I don''t want to bag on the WF ring too much since I don''t think the visual differences would be noticeable unless it was under intense scrutiny. But indeed, we were scruitinizing and it was apparent in the side-by-side comparison. Net effect, by the way, was that the "roughness" feel was *definitely* reduced with the memoire band.

The only thing that held us back from buying the memoire band was the price. 2.5x what the WF ring costs. Since Signed Pieces has a great return policy we went ahead and ordered a comparable ring from them. That arrived today and my fiancee picked it up this morning. I haven''t seen it yet, but she so far seems pleased. But I''ll post more info after we have a chance to really take a look later tonight... We''re hoping that this one will be the best of both worlds.

stay tuned...

(and FWIW, I think this forum is *great* for newbies and infrequent shoppers, and I have nothing but kudos for the moderators and maintainers of the website...)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad she found one she likes. I have 3 from Signed Pieces ranging from 3.38 TCW to just under 1.00TCW. They are all very comfortable. I hope to hear more about this ring. I sold memoire bands at the jewelry store I worked for years ago, and have to say SP bands are just as nice. Even better becuse of the price!!!
2.gif
Please post pics if you can. We love to see pics on here. And yes this forum is amazing. Leonid and Irina do an awesome job. Must be a lot of work for them. I truly appreciate all that they do!!
36.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2006 9:17:18 PM
Author: kaleigh
So glad she found one she likes. I have 3 from Signed Pieces ranging from 3.38 TCW to just under 1.00TCW. They are all very comfortable. I hope to hear more about this ring. I sold memoire bands at the jewelry store I worked for years ago, and have to say SP bands are just as nice. Even better becuse of the price!!!
2.gif
Please post pics if you can. We love to see pics on here. And yes this forum is amazing. Leonid and Irina do an awesome job. Must be a lot of work for them. I truly appreciate all that they do!!
36.gif
Ditto. Especially when we all act like a bunch of preschoolers hyped up on chocolate refusing to take our naps.
9.gif

I've always been afraid of eternity bands for fear they would bother my other fingers. I've heard you get used to it. I think I could get used to a diamond rubbing me constantly.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moonriver,
When I joined PS, I went to Signed Pieces just for that reason. I was afraid it would be uncomfortable. I found that they are very comfortable. I thought they would be rough and scratchy. I was so happy to find that wasn''t the case.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
andrew, thanks for the update. I understand exactly what you described when comparing the WF band next to the memoire because I had a similar experience with my band. If I ever get another eternity band I will buy a Memoire for the workmanship reasons you and Missgotrocks described. I''m glad you were able to order a band from Signed Pieces and hope your fiancee just loves it.

andrewSD

Rough_Rock
Okay, three pictures for you all...

First, this is one to illustrates the non-uniformity I was referring to before on the WF ring. The diamond on top sits a bit lower than the others, and there are others where the girdle/face are not tangential to the circle of the ring.

Also, we noticed that the side view is quite different. SP shows more diamond, WF more metal.

DSC_0209_zoom_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results