shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

I am currently a LIW and I''ve been looking at rings a little to find something I might like to drop hints at my BF eventually, but... everything seems so big and flashy! I''m a simple, discreet and petite kind of girl who''d like to have a small wedding in the woods in my parents'' backyard, so a 1 carat ring is really not my thing. And does it have to be a solitaire? I don''t really like them, or the channel settings. I know, I''m simple but picky!
2.gif

Does anyone have any suggestion for something I might like?? I don''t know where to look! Also, do you know any nice places where we have a ring made that I designed myself?

Cheers!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome! can you post the design you did yourself? that might assist the more experienced posters to find something you might like. peace, movie zombie

ps use the search to look around pricescope if you haven''t done so already. many have gone an alternative route and have shared their experience and pictures. some of us have actually decided to use a color stone rather than a diamond. others have skipped the stone and gone straight to a gorgeous band. the possibilities are almost endless.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/19/2005 9:28:36 PM
Author:anchor31
I'm a simple, discreet and petite kind of girl who'd like to have a small wedding in the woods in my parents' backyard, so a 1 carat ring is really not my thing. And does it have to be a solitaire? I don't really like them, or the channel settings. I know, I'm simple but picky!
2.gif

I will try to photograph my engagement ring tomorrow and post a photo of it. I am not sure you will want to go that small, but your description of what you want seems to be close to what I had! My husband and I picked out (in one visit to one jeweler) in Italy: an 18K gold band with a gold oval, "nest" in lieu of a stone. Inside were two 1-point diamonds. It is simple, elegant, and definitely not pretentious!

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

... everything seems so big and flashy! I'm a simple, discreet and petite kind of girl who'd like to have a small wedding in the woods in my parents' backyard, so a 1 carat ring is really not my thing.
Doesn't that sound familiar!
9.gif

It may help to locate a jeweler who does custom work similar to the design you have in mind.

For some options, you may want to try a couple of custom jewelers' websites such as Greenlakejewelry.com (these guys have a nice selection like many others but also a well-organized style guide!). A few jewelers post on this forum too (Wink and Michael E and others) - try the Picture Gallery

... and by all means give us a hint - just about every ring in the world but a 1 ct solitaire fits the description. And chances are what I like, you'd hate. For example this one below
4.gif

Rdiamond.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here are some other things I found, things that stray from the "traditional" engagement ring, for the most part!

Maybe you''d like something vintage? I think this ring is fabulous.

Vintage Ring

and here are two other kinds of rings you might like, just to throw ''em out there.

Tension Setting

Ornate Band

Granted, I have absolutely no idea what you like, but these are just ideas. Please post what you''ve designed so we can get a better idea of what you''re looking for!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the diamond and sapphire 7-stone engagement ring! It''s gorgeous and exactly my style! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I was looking for similar rings and found this on ice.com:
rda203020_b_l.jpg

A yellow gold semi-eternity diamond ring!
30.gif
*dies*

I noticed after finding it that a lot of people use them as wedding rings or anniversary rings, but that would be perfect for me as a engagement ring, and a small plain yellow gold wedding ring with our names and wedding date engraved in it to complete the set.

I''ll try to find the drawing I made for a custom-made ring and scan it, then post it. Should I post it on this thread, or elsewhere?

Cheers!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this thread would be nice for the picture posting...you mentioned your design in the beginning of the thread. it would be interesting to see how it compares to what you''re talking about getting.

peace, movie zombie

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
The design I made is not exactly similar to a semi-eternity ring. It''s a small three-stone ring with braided yellow and white gold. The best way I can describe the way the stones are set is that they are set in four prongs, but are as wide as the band and the band goes up on the outsides of the two side-stones and levels with them. It could also work with a small solitaire.

I had this idea from a girl I know who has a small solitaire with this setting in yellow gold and I really liked it. You see the stone from the top and two sides and it''s very delicate and elegant. The look is similar to a tension setting, except there is a thin band of gold under the stones for the prongs setting. I''ve never seen that setting anywhere else, though... Does my description make sense? I''ll try to find my drawings...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Anchor,

When you say braided, do you mean something like this?

Braided Engagement Ring

Those are available in two-tone, if you'd like. They're not 3-stone rings, but I'm having a hard time finding the two (three stone and braided) combined. If you don't want it to be flashy, a nice .25 - .50 carat would be modest yet beautiful!

...and did your friend's ring look something like this? I know it's not *the* ring, but is it close?

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=60098

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2005 10:26:53 PM
Author: anchor31
I''ll try to find the drawing I made for a custom-made ring and scan it, then post it. Should I post it on this thread, or elsewhere?

Here, of course! Then you can also post it in any other forum you wish!

Deb

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
EBree, by braided I mean that a strand of white gold and a strand yellow gold are braided, or twisted, together. I agree that a small solitaire would be beautiful.

The setting of my friend''s ring is not quite similar; it''s not a halo and it didn''t have bands on either side. It''s really like a 4-prongs setting, except the band thickens on each side of the stone to level with the top of it. I''ve never found anything like it anywhere.

Must find drawings...

Thank you for the efforts, it''s really appreciated!

Cheers!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

I am currently a LIW and I''ve been looking at rings a little to find something I might like to drop hints at my BF eventually, but... everything seems so big and flashy! I''m a simple, discreet and petite kind of girl who''d like to have a small wedding in the woods in my parents'' backyard, so a 1 carat ring is really not my thing. And does it have to be a solitaire? I don''t really like them, or the channel settings. I know, I''m simple but picky!
2.gif

Does anyone have any suggestion for something I might like?? I don''t know where to look! Also, do you know any nice places where we have a ring made that I designed myself?

Cheers!
how about a fabulous eternity band a la grace kelly (ruby and diamond(at first) or marilyn (diamond baguettes)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 1:22:14 AM
Author: valeria101

... everything seems so big and flashy! I''m a simple, discreet and petite kind of girl who''d like to have a small wedding in the woods in my parents'' backyard, so a 1 carat ring is really not my thing.
Doesn''t that sound familiar!
9.gif

It may help to locate a jeweler who does custom work similar to the design you have in mind.

For some options, you may want to try a couple of custom jewelers'' websites such as Greenlakejewelry.com (these guys have a nice selection like many others but also a well-organized style guide!). A few jewelers post on this forum too (Wink and Michael E and others) - try the Picture Gallery

... and by all means give us a hint - just about every ring in the world but a 1 ct solitaire fits the description. And chances are what I like, you''d hate. For example this one below
4.gif
Ana:
I adore Malcolm Betts.................they have his stuff at BArneys.............DIVINE

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a picture of my engagement ring, which is an 18K gold oval containing two 1-point diamonds. I find it simple, but elegant...and the opposite of ostentatious!

Deb

AGBFERing.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Deb! I don''t think I''ve ever seen a picture of your ering before!

I really like it!

widget

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Me too! So pretty!

Can you show us a hand shot? Those diamonds look bigger than 1 points.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results