carat
color
clarity

Do You Have a Favorite Gold Designer?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rezi-

I am wondering if Suokko is owned by Sibelius, a poster here whom I have known for years. I saw that the website for Suokko is owned by Iiro Suokko and Sibelius also uses the name "Iiro". (Actually, "Sibelius" is a nickame he picked because English speakers reading diamond fora on the 'net connect the Finnish composer, Sibelius, with Finland.)

BTW, it's possible Iiro Suokko doesn't own the website. My Finnish is non-existent!

Deb

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Deb, Not all of Gurhan''s pieces are gold over platinum. He uses platinum for reinforcing stress points such as fine links, hinges, posts, and claps. His technique of heat treating the metal and hand hammering is his special secret but the gold is remarkably strong. He also is careful not to design shapes that are vulnerable. Does this help?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While browsing for high karat gold jewelry, I came across a fairly bizarre site with a great buy. One can buy a 24K yellow gold wedding band there for $142.85. Most of the other 24K bands I saw (not fancy ones) were over $300.00!

24K Gold Wedding Band

Deborah

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AGBF, I''m very happy with the Ippolita bangles I bought a few months ago, but you''re right about them being irregular. They are perfectly imperfect, which is what actually attracted me to them. I love the hammered gold bangles mixed with the plain and matte look. The plain stone-less bangles are thin but are hefty. I''ve always loved bangles but hated my previously "hollow" ones. These are perfect for stacking.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Deborah, I LOVE that Gurhan ring! I think it would look fantastic with your diamond! I just love hammered gold!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I am a little late here, but, Rezi- I like your ring, too!

(it''s obvious why, eh)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adg

Rough_Rock
What is the finish on the Gurhan pieces. is it sand polished, then hammered?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2005 4:15:18 PM
Author: adg
What is the finish on the Gurhan pieces. is it sand polished, then hammered?

At least some of the Gurhan jewelry is hammered (in fact, "hand hammered"). I am not sure that all of it is, though. Some pieces look hammered and are labelled "hammered". Not all of his jewelry has the same look, however. I do not have a clue about sand polishing. Bill Pearlman carries their line. He will either know or be able to find out about the finish.

Deborah

adg

Rough_Rock
thank you deborah! i really love the gurhan bangles which are hammered (plain and with diamonds) and the fact that they are not high polished or matte, but something in between and just wondering how that finish is achieved.

perhaps Bill or a resident goldsmith could answer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2005 7:52:32 AM
Author: adg
thank you deborah! i really love the gurhan bangles which are hammered (plain and with diamonds) and the fact that they are not high polished or matte, but something in between and just wondering how that finish is achieved.

perhaps Bill or a resident goldsmith could answer.

Hi, adg-

I have an e-mail in to Bill regarding a Gurhan ring (whether Gurhan could make one for me from an unset diamond I have). Bill is iusually very fast in answering e-mails, but he hasn't yet answered me this time, which makes me think he may be away. Late August is a really slow time in a lot of businesses. At any rate, Bill is a good resource. Andrew Lane (lonewoodminer) from Australia and Richard W. Wise are among the goldsmiths here and Steve (feydakin) is a bench jeweler, but I do not know if any of them is familiar with how Gurhan works.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was browsing on-line, as I am wont to do, and realized I might never have posted a picture of Yossi Harari''s gold and diamond salted pretzels. Perhaps I did not post one because it took time fo them to grow on me, but I now think they are gorgeous.

They are 24K gold, which always works for me :).

Deborah

YossiHarariPretzel.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That YH pretzel looks yummy--no pun intended.....
2.gif
Besides the designers already listed, I do like the many of the pieces by Italian designer Fope
www.fope.com

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2005 6:17:23 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Besides the designers already listed, I do like the many of the pieces by Italian designer Fope
www.fope.com

Thanks for the link, Sharon. I like to stay informed! Fope is not my style, but I like to know who is designing and what he is contributing to the trends. And speaking of trends, has anyone else noticed that everyone is using black beads with 24K gold this season? (I don't like it.)

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love these Isabel Matiella earrings. Several months ago I tried to find a place that sold them (to no avail). I now see Tiffany has earrings which are (in my opinion) a pale imitation of these, but perhaps better than nothing!

IsabelMatiellaGoldearrings.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the Tiffany earrings which pale in comparison to the pair by Isabel Matiella.

TiffanyRosebudEarrings.jpg

bettyann

Rough_Rock
Jean Mahie is a French goldsmith who works in 22kt. Each piece is one of a kind, hammered, not cast. Her pieces are available at Neiman Marcus

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2005 9:46:52 PM
Author: valeria101
Oh well... one more

Well..you made me look farther, Ana. I had never heard of DeanBurke, and although I think the style is either derivative of Gurhan and Yossi Harari or part of a trend all of them are in together, I like it. The gems are set just as they are by Yossi Harari. (They protrude from the metal.) The one original aspect to this collection, besides the leaves, is the idea of square gold rings and bracelets in that raw, high karat gold they all work in.

DeanBurke

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the square bracelet, which I find exquisite. It is set with pink tourmalines.

DeanBurkeSquareBracelet.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These have either been copied or are derivative; I do not know which. I do know I have seen them executed in at least one other material. This pair is by Joan Hornig. Aren''t they lovely and graceful?

JoanHornigPearlDropEarrings.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are not gold earrings; they are sterling silver (and cost $39.00). I am posting a photo of them to show that the style of square drop earring posted above has been done elsewhere.

Dahlia Earrings

Deborah

DahliaPearlEarrings.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Union Smith Goldsmith(s) have some pretty interesting jewelry on their website. The jewelry pictured here is 18 karat. Visit their website to see much more.

Union Street Goldsmith

Deb

UnionStreetGoldsmith.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating, Ana. Claire Stratton''s jewelry looks like miniature sculptures or mobiles! I couldn''t wear anything like that. I like the opposite look: raw, seemingly primitive. On the other hand, I didn''t mind the combination of a ruby and a diamond in 22K gold! With a few modifications, that would work for me ;-).

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m waiting (impatiently, as always) for Patty
35.gif
and Al
35.gif
to join this thread on yellow gold!

17.gif

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2005 11:06:52 PM
Author: AGBF
These are not gold earrings; they are sterling silver (and cost $39.00). I am posting a photo of them to show that the style of square drop earring posted above has been done elsewhere.

Page two of this thread also shows these square pearls used in gold earrings by Joan Hornig used by Yossi Harari in his gold Jerusalem earrings. I wonder who copied whom. Was it Hornig's idea first or Harari's?

Deb

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2005 8:39:52 PM
Author: AGBF

I'm waiting (impatiently, as always) for Patty
35.gif
and Al
35.gif
to join this thread on yellow gold!

17.gif

Deb
Well, I dropped by, but I'm afraid I won't be staying. I just don't have the attention span for a thread that doesn't post much.

I really do prefer Rocky Talky and the primary forums that move much more quickly. It's too bad you won't come and play with us there.
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few weeks ago I ordered these Yossi Harari salted pretzel earrings from one of the few stores that carries the line. (It was in Connecticut.) They came about a week ago, but I did not have a chance to photograph them until today. They are quite small and are 24K gold with diamonds.

Deborah

Yossi2Pretzels.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of just one earring.

Yossi1Pretzel.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last photograph I took was of the earrings with a dime, to show their true (small) size.

Yossi2PretzelsDime.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results