shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds By The Yard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
In the spirit of Tiffany Fridays, here''s a dilemma for ya:

I have gotten it in my head that i NEED a diamonds by the yard necklace. (cos y''know, diamonds are a need, not a want
11.gif
)

All the times I''ve been to Tiffany, I haven''t actually paid any attention to the DBTY necklace. The only ones I''ve seen are online.

What I''ll like to know is if the diamonds on the necklace are on both sides of the bezel (for lack of a better word - I''m sure there''s a name for those little round diamond bits
25.gif
), so that even if the necklace ''turns'' or ''flips'', one won''t be looking at the culet of the stone?

How long is a yard in metric measurements? 0.9metre?

I vaguely recall a thread about diamonds by the yard (possibly posted by AGBF), but can''t seem to find it.

Where else can I get a similar type of necklace? Any pointers muchly appreciated!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2005 8:11:58 PM
Author:JadeLeaves

What I''ll like to know is if the diamonds on the necklace are on both sides of the bezel (for lack of a better word - I''m sure there''s a name for those little round diamond bits ), so that even if the necklace ''turns'' or ''flips'', one won''t be looking at the culet of the stone?

No. They are so small that it almost doesn''t matter!
Another designer makes a necklace like you describe - with small clusters of diamonds that turn to show diamond faces not backs from all sides. It may be Scott Keating.

How long is a yard in metric measurements? 0.9metre?

1 yard = 0.9144 meters (by Google''s calculator) = allot of necklace!

Where else can I get a similar type of necklace? Any pointers muchly appreciated!

Allot of jewelry stores have version sof it. Online, Blue nile used to have an entire line of bracelets and pendants and a couple of Pricescopers had such pieces custom made.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Val!

It IS allot of necklace isn''t it?
2.gif

I think I''ll like to wear it wound around twice so it looks like a double strand. Tiffany seems to sell them in different lengths too, and with different distance between stones as well. I think I shall pay a visit to the store and have a look for myself.

Hmm.. custom made? OHH a DBTY necklace with ACA melee will be stunning!

Ideas!!
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don''t know if I ever posted about it, but at one point I was very taken by the diamonds by the yard (I remembered it as, "by the foot"!) necklaces. Who is the designer? Elsa Peretti?

Deb

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AGBF,

Yes it''s by Elsa Peretti.

What do you think of this style of necklace? I think it''ll be suitable for casual wear!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2005 9:06:37 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
What do you think of this style of necklace? I think it'll be suitable for casual wear!

I have always loved it. I agree that one could carry it off with blue jeans (just as one could carry off cultured pearls) as long as one doesn't wear a plain old T-shirt in which she has been digging in the dirt to top off those blue jeans! I will be very jealous if you get this and my jealousy will only be assuaged by your posting many photos of your own necklace (not a Tiffany stock photo) once you have it home!!!

Deb :)

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to be good!
12.gif

11.gif
is going 'buy it! u know u wanna!'
&
12.gif
is going 'u don't really NEED another diamond necklace, do u?'

And the pragmatic me is going, 'Hmm.. custom made...'

I think I shall go and have a look in person to see if I will like it enough to justify spending more $$ on jewelry when there is a house to build!

Hubby will be happy if he gets off the hook by me choosing my own xmas pressie!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I''m back from my little adventure to Tiffany.

They do not have the 36" diamonds by the yard necklace for me to try on. The lady who served me tried to tell me that it only comes in 18".

Erm, hello???

I asked her to check the computer catalog, and she couldn''t find one with round stones - the nearest one she could find had round and marquis shapes on the necklace. It was rather crowded in there today, and she didn''t seem to know what she was talking about, so I think I''ll go back another day. She did say she''ll ring me back during the week after she''s made some enquiries.

The bezel type thingy that the diamonds are set in are really delicate, and it looks like the culet of the stones will actually be touching the skin when the necklace is worn. I wonder if it will annoy me after awhile - wouldn''t the culet scratch the skin?
33.gif

Another thing - they only have it in platinum or yellow gold. Again, I''m not sure if the lady really knew what she was talking about. I''ll like it in WG though, although the prices didn''t seem too bad considering it''s platinum.

This may turn out to be a custom job afterall
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also love the DBTY necklaces - but moreso than the culet scratching you - if that''s truly the design the necklace would look bad in about 5 seconds with the culet getting all dirty from oils in your skin...those diamonds wouldn''t be sparkly for long if that''s the case! Seems like an odd design that way. I do love how it looks...but yikes, I''d have to clean it multiple times a day!

They do have the new art-deco type necklaces with rb stones in mq shaped holders with milgraining....but that has nothing to do with the DBTY line. Looks like the woman who helped you could learn a few things...!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if you are set on having a tiffany but I know ross simons has the same design in WG in a varity of lengths and diamond size. Also there was a shopping channel (maybe shop nbc) that offers the same design with diamonds on both sides of the bezel so you don''t have to worry about it flipping.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve see them in the Ross Simon catalogs and they look very pretty. Not sure of the diamond quality though.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 2:46:19 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I am not sure if you are set on having a tiffany but I know ross simons has the same design in WG in a varity of lengths and diamond size. Also there was a shopping channel (maybe shop nbc) that offers the same design with diamonds on both sides of the bezel so you don't have to worry about it flipping.

I'm impulsive by nature, so if Tiffany had one yesterday in the length that I wanted, I would probably have bought one
31.gif
but since they didn't, and once again proven to me that sometimes one can 1)get more information online, 2)get better & more informed service online, I have decided to get one custom made.

I thought about it more last night, and hubby suggested that he likes the look of different sized stones, and he even drew it up for me - alternating stones of probably 10 & 5 pointers on a 36" or slightly longer chain.

Again, I'm thinking ACA melee for this. I've tried emailing WhiteFlash for custom work a couple of times before, and was disappointed with the lack of reply. Hopefully this time someone will get back to me quickly
9.gif
because I would love to finally have something made with teeny h&a stones!

Thanks for the info everyone!

By the way, when I did a search for DBTY necklace online, I found a really nice one done by WF for MaryAlaina - MA - you've been holding out on us, since this was never (to my knowledge) posted on Pricescope. Can you please pretty please post a pic of it here for reference? Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
well jade let us know what you decide (with lots of pics of course!) I like the idea of changing sizes. I might even suggest three different sizes (things look best in odd numbers) in a random pattern. I think that could be very unique and stunning.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 6:00:09 PM

By the way, when I did a search for DBTY necklace online, I found a really nice one done by WF for MaryAlaina - MA - you''ve been holding out on us, since this was never (to my knowledge) posted on Pricescope. Can you please pretty please post a pic of it here for reference? Thanks!

Guess I forgot to post it here. I had Whiteflash custom make this one, 16" in length, with 7, .15ct. ACA stones, in white gold. Mr. Le himself made it for me. Not only was it MUCH cheaper than buying from Tiffany, the ACA (A Cut Above ideal cut stones) diamonds are so sparkly and gorgeous, and IMHO, nicer stones! Here''s a few pix:

diamondneck1.jpg

diamondneck2.jpg

I don''t have a good neck shot of me wearing it, but it looks very delicate on.

BTW, before I ordered this, I ordered one from Ross-Simons. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NEVER BUYING JEWELRY FROM THEM. The stones were horrible quality. One actually looked like it had been crushed into the setting. And, the stones were not held into the bezels by the bezels alone. Each one had a single prong (staple?) thing holding it in. That was not visible in the catalogue and looked sooooo bad. Their catalogues always make their things look so tempting, but everytime I buy from them, I end up returning. The quality is very, very poor.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MA!!

I just checked my emails and WF has responded already! Yay!
36.gif

I''ll have to wait till Monday for a quote, but I can live with that.

(I think.)

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Will keep you updated!

plee

Rough_Rock
Jadelaves,

I have the Tiffany diamonds by the yard pendant. These necklaces are offered only in platinum or yellow gold.
I know that it does also come in a really long legth besides the standard 16 inch length. The diamonds by the yard is really a design name and I don''t think they actually offer any in the one yard length.
The culet of the diamond does poke at my neck a little bit, but not to a point where it is annoying. I have a lot of pendants, but honestly I wear this one the most. It seems to go with just about everything from jeans and sweats to dressy outfits. Good luck in your search!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 7:45:34 PM
Author: PLee
Jadelaves,

I have the Tiffany diamonds by the yard pendant. These necklaces are offered only in platinum or yellow gold.

I know that it does also come in a really long legth besides the standard 16 inch length. The diamonds by the yard is really a design name and I don't think they actually offer any in the one yard length.

The culet of the diamond does poke at my neck a little bit, but not to a point where it is annoying. I have a lot of pendants, but honestly I wear this one the most. It seems to go with just about everything from jeans and sweats to dressy outfits. Good luck in your search!

Thank you!

I think the 36" necklace is as close to a yard as one could get
2.gif

Can you please show me a pic of your necklace worn on the neck if you have any?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 7:45:34 PM
Author: PLee
The diamonds by the yard is really a design name and I don''t think they actually offer any in the one yard length.

This is from the description of a necklace pictured on the Tiffany website:

Elsa Peretti® Diamonds by the Yard® necklace. Round brilliant diamonds, carat total weight 1.21, color grade G, clarity grade VS; platinum; 36" long. Original designs copyrighted by Elsa Peretti.
$5,000

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 6:00:09 PM
I thought about it more last night, and hubby suggested that he likes the look of different sized stones, and he even drew it up for me - alternating stones of probably 10 & 5 pointers on a 36' or slightly longer chain.

Before you take the plunge, be sure you see all the Elsa Peretti Diamonds by the Yard type necklaces. There is one with smaller diamonds for between $700 and $800 and there is one that shows just three stones: an emerald between two diamonds. If you like colored stones and are having this custom made, you may want to see that emerald between the diamonds! I could enjoy a 36" necklace (or longer, as you say!), with alternating diamonds and emeralds...or even a pattern with diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and blue sapphires. In fact, the possibilities seem endless!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not home and cannot edit photos. I have no idea how this will come out!

Deb

DBTYemerald.jpeg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been hankering for the Diamonds By The Yard style necklaces lately myself. I think they were in fashion a while back ... kinda "out" ... and maybe taking off again ... (though I think something classic like this is never really "out" .. just less popular to purchase)

I almost bought a less than authentic version on a certain shopping channel where the less than authentic versions end in "ique" (don''t wanna break the rules here). $64 smackers and white gold.

I''m going back now to see if they still have them.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Dear AGBF,

I''ve seen the ones with colored stones, and also the ones where the round brilliants are scattered throughout the chain - I prefer the all diamonds look for everyday wear, as colored stones will probably be better matched to an outfit
2.gif

My local Tiffany doesn''t have many different styles of the DBTY necklace - they only had 3 yesterday, and they''re all the shorter versions with either one, three or 7(not quite sure) stones? I have my heart set on a longer chain (at least 36") so I can wear it as a single strand or twist it and wear it as a double strand. I think having different sized stones will break it up a bit too, which is the look I''m after.

Hubby calculated that 12 stones set 3inches apart will be a bit over 36" (allowing for the bezels/collets), so I''m not sure if I want another 3" each side of the clasp, or just have 10 stones set 3 inches apart with 3" from each side of the clasp, OR have 12 stones 3" apart and 1" from each side of the clasp to make about 38-40".

Ahh decisions!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Would you believe I can''t recall, for the life of me, WHY I suddenly want a DBTY necklace. It''s not like I''ve actually seen one IRL recently. Hmm..

AGBF - I did see a multi strand colored stones necklace in the DBTY style yesterday in a local jewellery store in the city. It looked fantastic, but more dressy, and I really want something I can wear often!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the one I like:

DBTY 36inches.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 9:46:34 PM
I did see a multi strand colored stones necklace in the DBTY style yesterday in a local jewellery store in the city. It looked fantastic, but more dressy, and I really want something I can wear often!

I understand your reasoning perfectly! I, also, buy jewelry that tends to coordinate with everything. Just as you don't know why you started to want that necklace, I don't know why I suddenly fell in love with the look of that emerald, though! As soon as I saw it I thought, now that I could go for!

Where are you, JadeLeaves? Wherever it is, if there is a Tiffany's, they can get you any Tiffany product. I do think you can get more of what you really want with a custom made piece, however. Let us know how the project progresses!

Deb

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2005 2:33:33 AM
Author: AGBF
Where are you, JadeLeaves? Wherever it is, if there is a Tiffany's, they can get you any Tiffany product. I do think you can get more of what you really want with a custom made piece, however. Let us know how the project progresses!
Deb

Dear Deb,

I'm in Melbourne. I've asked the salesperson if she could order it in for me, but because she was quite insistent that the necklace I was referring to existed only in my mind, she didn't make much of an effort locating one
25.gif
. She did, however, say that she will make some enquiries and get back to me during the week.

I agreed, but in the meantime, did more research and warmed to the idea of having the little H&A melee that WF has for the necklace, as I've always wanted teeny h&a diamond jewelry from WF. Some ppl don't like the h&a look, but I've always loved seeing the arrows shooting everywhere, and am interested to see how they'll look like in stones that small.

So custom it is!

Now if you get that emerald and diamond DBTY - you have to post many pics for us too!

Jade.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 2:56:56 AM
Now if you get that emerald and diamond DBTY - you have to post many pics for us too!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I will not be buying that! I have several other projects that need to be finished and one (a tennis bracelet) that will be my next project (if I live that long!).

My current projects include:

1) Getting someone to sell me the Isabel Matiella earrings I want. The story of my begging everyone in the southwestern and western US and in Mexico to buy them is truly farcical!

2) Having a loose diamond I have had sitting in a safe deposit box for years set (into a Gurhan style 24K ring) by someone.

3) Obtaining the long gold scarf necklace I ordered (to be custom made) from Italy.

4) Obtaining the Yossi Harari pretzel necklace I ordered to match my earrings. (It was lost with the rest of a shipment to the vendor selling it to me, a Yossi Harari retailer.)

5) Having the Gurhan earrings Bill Pearlman sold me adjusted and the included red spinel in my ring replaced by Pala Gems.

I hope to be able to buy a tennis bracelet of the type I really want, and have been talking to Wink about it. Since he would probably like to be paid for making it, that will have to wait, however! This is a big purchase for me, far bigger than I had planned to make. It is going to take time (as so many of my projects do). Setting the red spinel I bought took years-maybe 4 or 5?

Deb

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
Your current projects sounds like fun! I am so impatient (and impulsive) that if I don''t get something straightaway, I will probably end up being captivated by something else. Which is probably a good thing!

I have a few projects in the works too, but the DBTY necklace has jumped up to the top of the list for now! There''s a purple sapphire I want to set into a pinky ring with lots of diamond and pink sapphire melee, but I was quoted a lot of money for that project, so it''ll have to wait. And my EC, which I plan to set into an east-west setting, that will have to wait till next year - I''m still trying to get used to it, having been a RB girl, and having it in the safe at the bank is not helping either. Who knows, I may end up selling it and trading it in for an asscher when it''s time to get a big honking one
31.gif

I''ve seen a picture of the earrings you bought - do update us when you get the adjusted ones!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 9:50:00 PM
Here''s the one I like:

5.gif
me too!

... and it just begs for a pendant... of the yard designs, this one seem to be the most suitable for that... if you would ever consider. Otherwise why would they leave the middle empty ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results