shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds By The Yard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2005 2:00:38 PM
Author: valeria101
5.gif
me too!

... and it just begs for a pendant... of the yard designs, this one seem to be the most suitable for that... if you would ever consider. Otherwise why would they leave the middle empty ?

Val - Hmm now you''re giving me ideas. Thing is, wouldn''t it be hard to slide a pendant bail through all the other diamond bezels? If it could be done, maybe I can even wear it as a shorter version (say, 16" or 18" and leave the excess bit hanging down my back.

This would probably mean that I have to rethink the distance between the stones on the necklace so that the middle bit, when I wear it shortened, will have space for a pendant.

What do you think?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of having different distance between the stones scattered throughout the necklace?

DBTY-Edited.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 4:39:39 PM
Author: JadeLeaves

Val - Hmm now you''re giving me ideas. Thing is, wouldn''t it be hard to slide a pendant bail through all the other diamond bezels? If it could be done, maybe I can even wear it as a shorter version (say, 16'' or 18'' and leave the excess bit hanging down my back.

This would probably mean that I have to rethink the distance between the stones on the necklace so that the middle bit, when I wear it shortened, will have space for a pendant.

What do you think?

Wait a minute... I thought this will be a very long necklace with no clasp. With this thought, the only way to put a pendant on is an ''enhancer'' bale that can open to allow the chain through, or, if the pendant is light and you can bear the thought - a loop on the chain does it too. If the pendant can hung like this, it can easily hold two chains if you want to wear it twice over. And with no clasp, which way the chain faces or how the diamonds are distributes is less important, IMO.

Otherwise, I kind of like the uneven distribution of diamond dots use in the necklace. If you definitely want a certain part of it to be ''the center'', perhaps just placing the largest 2-3 diamonds close enough so that they can show together might just do.

This necklace seems like a playful piece to me that could be worn any way it falls, literally. I don''t know if the placement of diamonds has been thought in any strict way aside inspiration... maybe they sought to distribute weight evenly (so large diamonds follow after longer portions of chain and smaller ones are more clustered), but this is a bit too geeky for comfort
14.gif

Hope this turns out great for you.

PS: you said ''no color'' already, but not posting at least one would have required too much restraint
2.gif
LINK

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have the shorter necklace, but do not wear it often. I think the longer one would look lovely layered with itself. What about something like this pendent from Good Old Gold? If it could be taken on and off.

Br122HVS2_front_of_pend_2.jpg

Br122HVS2_back_of_pend.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Jade,

I really like the thought (and look) of different lengths in between diamonds. It looks less uniform and goes with the "different sized diamonds" approach you''re thinking of taking. It would look beautiful layered.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 5:53:34 PM
Author: Matatora
I have the shorter necklace, but do not wear it often. I think the longer one would look lovely layered with itself. What about something like this pendent from Good Old Gold? If it could be taken on and off.

I am MAD about this! How about a Diamonds by the Yard type necklace with THESE sprinked about throughout an entire 36" of chain!!!! Why does everyone here have to have so much imagination!!?? Did Jonathan design the pendant?

Deb

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am unsure, but it is on his page...and I drool whenever I see it. Not that I return to his page often...
31.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
Hey this was meant to be something for casual wear
12.gif

*Ka-ching!*

I''ll love to have a pendant like the one Matatora posted - one day
2.gif

I really like the idea of different length in between the stones. My amateur attempt at photoshopping the entire chain showed me that at least
28.gif
. Val raised a good point about not having a clasp - ahhhh this was meant to be easy!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi ya''ll,

Just inquired about this particular pendant.

We can make it so that the pendant is removeable and we can also make a DBTY chain out of this setup as well. What''s interesting about this is the DBTY type of chain, all of the diamonds are never always laying in the "face up" view which gives the very pretty back some exposure as well.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks jon!

I think the size of the stones I want to use for this necklace are too small for setting in the halo style setting
2.gif
I have saved that pendant pic in my wishlist folder though - one day I''ll get another H&A stone from you for that
11.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the pic with the placement of the stones on a 36" chain. I''ve decided to add two 15pointers to the necklace. What do you think?

JL-DBTY-Placement.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 1:21:44 PM
Author: Rhino
Just inquired about this particular pendant.

We can make it so that the pendant is removeable and we can also make a DBTY chain out of this setup as well. What''s interesting about this is the DBTY type of chain, all of the diamonds are never always laying in the ''face up'' view which gives the very pretty back some exposure as well.

OK...after Wink makes me a tennis bracelet, I will seriously consider a yard of chain with these pendants interspersed! How many pendants should there be if one uses the kind you sell (as opposed to plain diamonds)? What size should they be? Will I be able to send my daughter to college?

Deb ;-)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 8:55:12 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
Here''s the pic with the placement of the stones on a 36'' chain. I''ve decided to add two 15pointers to the necklace. What do you think?

I think it looks fabulous!

Deb

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 9:24:22 PM
Author: AGBF

Will I be able to send my daughter to college?

Deb ;-)

ROFL!!!

Hmm I''m thinking 30pointers surrounded by 1-2 pointers for that delicious pendant style! Maybe 3-5 of those, and then plain diamond bezels scattered throughout.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great (3 different sizes is the way to IMHO) BUT I would consider doing something with the clasp. Somehow make it hidden (diamond covered) so if you do double it and it swings forward it will still look beautiful.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 5:53:34 PM
Author: Matatora

Oh, Ana? How about making us up a photoshop "Diamonds by the Yard" necklace using this in place of each of the diamonds? Jonathan said he could have one made up for me using this. Wouldn't that be pretty? ;-)

Deb
17.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2005 9:46:57 PM
Author: AGBF

Ana, How about making us up a photoshop ''Diamonds by the Yard'' necklace using this in place of each of the diamonds?
Easy... how big would the diamonds be? The one in the pendant was about 1.5cts if I remember it right
2.gif

The style (diamonds with paved frames on chain) is done often.

For example, this is custom made by Green Lake Jewelry comes close (fill in pave):

PEN_M_10006.jpg

The catch with these necklaces is that the elements can''t be kept from turning face down because the chain between them is not stiff - so they need to be two-face and that is unusual. The problem is not so bad if the weight of the entire piece is distributed towards the front (as it happens for the three-stone in the picture).

Anyway, I remember some designer pieces done that way (Carl Blackburn?) and would be happy to ''draw'' anything as long as I know the size.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.... in the meantime
5.gif
the version below comes as an expansion of this piece so the relative size of chain and pendants is the same. The diamonds should be well less than 1 pt (maybe half?) on the frame and at most 10 pts for the center for 17pts total! There way more work than diamonds involved... unless these are semifinished castings from somewhere and even the labor part is not all that much after all.

smallchain.JPG

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Sneak preview
2.gif

DSCN2824.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Did you get it? Do you have it? That was such a tease!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well well - I was just looking for this thread because I got a mailing from Derco Jewelers (they''re in the SF Jewelry Mart and in Santana Row) - they''re making DBTY earrings and necklaces now! But I see someone''s already got something.....spill it! You know we''re weak!!!
emsmilep.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
*heheh*

That was a picture that Denise from Whiteflash emailed me. I am in Queensland for work at the moment, and won''t get my package till I go back to Melbourne next week. I will try to take more pics when I get it, but it might take awhile because hubby somehow thought using my digital camera in the pouring rain was a good idea
20.gif
. I am hoping for a new camera for xmas to make up for that
2.gif

From the pics Denise sent, the necklace looks very dainty! I will start a new thread when I get it!

Have a good wkend!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am late to this thread, but... I LOVE IT! and I want one
9.gif

hehe, totally can''t wait to see pics JadeLeaves. I think it''s going to be fantastically beatiful and unique.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures???? Are they in a new forum?
33.gif

Edited: I found the new forum.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened to the photo Matatora posted in this thread? I can''t see it. Can anyone else?

Deb
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results