shape
carat
color
clarity

Are mine cut diamonds sometimes mounted in closed settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

victoriaboom

Rough_Rock
Hi there..it is my first time writing. I bought an unusual Egyptian revival cast sterling silver ring, and as I was cleaning it, I discovered two shiny stones..they look like diamonds, not rhinestones, but what is throwing me off is they are in closed back mountings. Did they used to mound old mine cuts like that ? I do not have a diamond tester, and I am dying to know what the answer is, so I can put it on file in my brain.
Thanks, and love your site...victoriaboom
34.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi VictoriaBoom. Welcome to PS. I''m sorry that I can''t answer your question but maybe if you posted a picture of your ring it might help. I know that there are many people here that can identify old mine cuts if that is what it is.

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Hi Victoria,

Welcome!

Since your ring is Egyptian, it''s quite possible that they used an old way of mounting diamonds... in a closed bezel setting with a little mirror underneath to give it sparkle. It was a common way of setting diamonds in older days when the stones did not have the perfect cut they have today, and if it''s a good job, it can be more highly priced. Check my own avatar... it''s set the way I described.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible that they are rose cut stones? I know that rose cuts were often foil-backed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results