shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique jewelry experts. Are these diamonds or paste?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So I bought this brooch for $1 dollar at an estate sale. It was in the junk jewelry pile but I thought it was so pretty and I thought that maybe I could one day put in the missing stones ( I''m taking a jewelry making class ). I''ve always assumed it was paste or crystal but wondered what you guys thought. It''s very well made but made of sterling. It looks art deco to me base on the design. The thing that made me think it could be diamonds is that the cutting is sort of imperfect like old cut stones are in old pieces, each ones a bit different. If you own old jewelry with tiny stones you know what I mean. On the other hand it''s backed so the stones don''t show from the other side and most diamond pieces are open in the back. They aren''t foiled though. I noticed Lang had a pin with diamonds set in sterling and that there were a few on Ebay as well. Of course the ebay sellers might not know what they really have and just figure that they are diamonds and list them that way. What do you guys think?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
with the setting having the cup shape under the stone it usually indicates that the stones or glass are glued into the cup...the setting is really cool art deco!

donlecat

Rough_Rock
I''m not an expert on antique jewelry, but I do sell and collect a great deal of it and happen to adore it. It was very common for sterling silver pieces to be set with rhinestones in the Art Deco period, good quality stones to simulate real diamonds, and the sterling brightly finished to simulate platinum. So I''d guess the stones are just glass, not diamonds, even though the cuts imitate mine cut stones. If they were flat backs or rose cuts I''d say have a jeweler inspect them for you to be sure. You''ll most likely need to replace all of the stones just to get matches because new ones will outshine the old ones and be very obvious if you don''t. Or maybe find another old piece with stones to harvest for this one? I replace a lot of old rhinestones in my nicer pieces because I just can''t stand the thought of them and their history being lost or destroyed by refining the metal. I wish you well with your jewelry making class and hope this helps a little.

Cheers!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Thank you both. I sure wish I had the missing stones now since it sounds like they will be tough to replace.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten,
not as tough as you would think!Contact junk,antique or used clothing stores and ask if they keep any parts from the jewelry they cant sell because,like your piece they are not perfect!Also check ebay or wholesale jewelry parts companies or replacements that may be only pennies per stone!~

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the pin is really neat looking. I like the style! Hope you can find stones to match.
21.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that style. I would not have thought to contact vintage clothing/jewelry stores but it is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results