shape
carat
color
clarity

9 karat gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
What do you all think about 9 karat white gold? I know it obviously isnt the quality of 14 or 18, but is it a reasonable alternative? (I have a 10 kt class ring that I'm happy with).

I'm looking at a claddagh ring as a "place holder" for an engagement ring, and don't want to take too much money away from the e-ring fund, but I would later swap it to a right hand ring, so I'd still like decent quality.

9kt is $135, 14kt is $235, 18kt is $355, plat is $495. Knowing that bugdet is a significant issue, what would you do? Thanks!

(ring can be seen at http://www.thecladdagh.com/Details.asp?ProductID=1034)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not a big fan of anything under 18K....having said that and the choice was 9K or nothing, i''d take the 9K and upgrade when finances allowed, especially since you already have a 10K class ring and are happy with it. its individual taste. and there are many that won''t know the difference anyway. also, if you''re going to swap it out for a RHR, then i''d go for it. btw, good thinking re not wanting to take too much $$$ away from the e-ring fund! since this is not a forever and always ring, why not?

movie zombie

Mr Majestyk

Rough_Rock
I also have a 10k class ring which I have worn off and on for over 30 years. Had it resized several times over the years with no problems, still has fine luster.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few 9ct gold rings I wear as casual everyday rings, and my mum also does, some of which she has had for 30+ years. They polish up as well as any other gold, the only obvious difference being 9ct doesn''t have the same bright shade of yellow as 18ct. I''d be happy with 9ct in a ring as you intend for it to be. In addition it isn''t as soft as 18ct, just as an added point. I''m very happy with my 9ct rings.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Author: SanDiegoLady
Isn''t 9k gold pretty european? Found in Ireland and that?? I just wondered as I had seen several wedding bands in Ireland made from it. I think its pretty :)

That would make sense, this company seems to be based out of Ireland. Isn''t 19k more common in Europe as well? Seems funny that it varies.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone. I just wanted some confirmation that 9k will still be shiny and pretty as well as durable. I know it isnt exactly a high class piece of jewelry, but I think its perfect for what I want. I love the symbolism of the claddagh, and the price tag is right.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that its coming from ireland counts in my book....i also took a peak at other rings at their website while i as checking yours out: you can be as simple or fancy as you want! personally, i like the one you''ve selected.

movie zombie

riogems

Shiny_Rock
By law (of the FTC) in the US under 10k isn''t called "gold" whereas in England 9k is called gold. If someone is based in the US advertising 9K gold - watch out!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What alloys it is would not matter to me as long as I like the look. If you feel the color of the metal is not what you wish, plating can take care of that. On the other hand, there are plenty of white-ish 18k alloys (what''s the point of that?) that make the point moot - I doubt anyone would be able to ID the gold content of different gold alloys at first sight as long as there is no tarnish on the jewelry. There are dozens of gold ''colors'' being made!

Don''t think there is any reason to ''upgrade'' because of this.

I like 24kt gold - and wear such jewelry, but it is definitely not a choice based on looks. The soft metal limits design options too. I like what it means - just like one may choose a claddagh shape of the ring for what it means.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8k gold exists in Germany as a gold standard.

9 carat is very common in the UK although many also choose 18k. 9 carat gold is fine for a dress ring.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Just to add to what Pyramid said, in Britain the choice is 9ct or 18ct - there is no 14K, so if Brits want a cheaper alternative than 18ct, 9ct is the only option.

The only rings I own that are 18ct are my engagement and wedding rings; all the rest are 9ct and it doesn''t bother me one bit.

9ct white gold would presumably be nice and white, since it contains less yellow metal than a higher carat alloy.

bex891

Rough_Rock
9ct gold is widely used here in the UK. We have 9ct, 18ct and 22ct. The latter being the purer gold, which is the most expensive and has a richer yellow colour.

However, if you are looking at a 9ct white gold ring.....there will be no difference in appearance. 9ct gold is cheaper and more durable. So why pay more for what you can''t see?

Hope this helps.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
even my husband can see the difference....but then i''ve spent some time pointing out the different gold karats. its like with diamonds: some see the difference between a ''D'' and an "G" and others don''t. no right, no wrong. just different tastes and the good news is there is something for everyone and every budget.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results