shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight loss and Hypothyroidism

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone,
I have been trying to lose weight for my wedding but it is extremely difficult because of the fact I have hypothyroidism. I only want to lose like 25 lbs. It doesn''t sound like much but I have been trying for almost a year and a half now. I just want to get back to the weight I was before I was diagnosed. Is there anyone else with this condition that can offer any suggestions? When I was unemployed I used to work out at Curves 3 times a week and run 1.5 miles all of the other days of the week. I did lose five lbs but the moment I started working, I gained it all back. Between work and school I don''t really have the luxury of doing that anymore. I do go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 2 hours each time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
No more fast food. :D

And the dang snacks are killing us. I swear. Even the snack mix...have you ever looked at the nutrition label on that bad boy. I stopped eating those after I realized how much fat and calories that were in that bag. We should partner up. Build up our immune system on organic raw fruits and awesome salads.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Sounds good. I just am not eating anything that smells like a*s (I think you can figure out what I mean). Once I can actually get 24 hour fitness to call me with the name of a female personal trainer, I can start my workout sessions. I think that will totally help in motivating me. I always eat healthy after working out because I don''t want to ruin the whole workout.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard many times that getting fit or losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% nutrition...or something along those lines! The numbers probably aren''t accurate but the concept is! Definitely try to revamp your diet and increase your protein intake while decreasing your carbs and fat intake. Lots of fibre, lots of leafy greens...I''m sure you''ve heard it all before! Also make sure you''re mixing up your workouts. If you''re close enough to your goal weight, it can be easy to plateau if you''re always in the same exercise routine. I highly recommend any type of bootcamp workout with circuits that combine weights and cardio. There is a North American chain called Crossfit. Google it to see if there''s one in your area!

I also have an underactive thryoid (not hypothyroidsm though) but when my numbers are really high I am sooooo tired and all I ever want to do is sleep!

Good luck!

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
I am soo excited to have someone read this post who has what I have. I have been trying to eat healthier and healthier but have found that I am getting extremely tired. I have a book called Hypothryoidism: What Your Doctor Won''t Tell You. If I remember correctly, I think that if you increase your fiber intake that it decreases the effectiveness of your medicine. Have you ever heard of that sammyj?

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 6:58:09 PM
Author: museikchik
I am soo excited to have someone read this post who has what I have. I have been trying to eat healthier and healthier but have found that I am getting extremely tired. I have a book called Hypothryoidism: What Your Doctor Won''t Tell You. If I remember correctly, I think that if you increase your fiber intake that it decreases the effectiveness of your medicine. Have you ever heard of that sammyj?

I haven''t heard anything about a high-fibre diet and hypothyroidism but I quickly googled it and the opinions are mixed. Here''s the best response that I found:

Given that many people on thyroid replacement therapy are fighting an additional battle to lose weight, high fiber diets are also an issue. Anything that affects your digestion speed or speed of absorption of items into the stomach can have an effect on your absorption of thyroid hormone. Since high-fiber diets can, ahem, speed things up a bit, they are known to inhibit absorption for some people. So, should you forget about eating high-fiber? Absolutely not!!! Since the benefits of fruits, vegetables and a high-fiber diet are known, again, the issue here is consistency. If you are already eating a high-fiber diet regularly, and have regular TSH testing done, your dosage level is appropriate for you, given your diet. If you are starting a new regimen of eating high-fiber, plan to get tested around six to eight weeks after you change your diet, to make sure you''re receiving the proper amount of thyroid hormone. But be consistent. Don''t jump around, or you''ll have erratic absorption, and that can wreak havoc on TSH levels...AND how you feel! But again, taking your thyroid hormone first thing a.m. on an empty stomach, and waiting at least an hour to eat, will ensure maximum absorption, whatever your diet is!

There was also an article specifically about a type of med called Synthroid and how fibre affects the effectiveness of the med...is this the one you''re on? I would consult a dietitician or even a naturopath about this. You could also just try out a high-fibre diet for a few days to see how you feel and if it''s making you extra tired or lethargic then reduce the levels. Hope this helps!

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Thank you soo much for the input sammyj. I actually am not on that medication. I have been incorporating more and more salad into my diet for about a month and a half now. I just recently started realizing that I have been more and more tired lately. I think I will ask my doctor to schedule another blood test for me (as much as I hate doing those). I want to make sure my medication level is correct.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, I have Hashimoto''s Disease, which causes hypothyroidism, and it is possible to lose weight and maintain the loss, but it is very difficult and requires serious commitment. I even lost all 35 pounds of pregnancy weight and am back to the size I was before having a child.

I''m 5''9", weigh around 145, and wear a size 6 or 8. When I wasn''t exercising or dieting, I weighed 165 and wore a size 12.

I started running, every day, 2 or 3 miles a day. Because our metabolisms are so much slower, you can''t miss a day of exercise. Swimming is good too, but all of the wimpier cardio stuff, like walking, may help you maintain your weight, but you won''t lose any weight just walking. You also need to add strength training - I do 15 minutes 5 days a week of calisthenics. Running is really the best, though, because you don''t need a gym membership, or tons of equipment. Even now that I have a son, I run every day during his nap time, or before he gets up, if I have enough time very early in the morning. My friends with kids can''t believe that I "waste" my "me time" (his nap time) exercising, but they are all still carrying around pregnancy weight, so I''d rather exercise and be able to wear my old clothes I guess.

Also, you really have to watch what you eat. I eat limited carbs, and of those, only whole grain (100% whole wheat bread & pasta, brown rice.) Eat a lot of fruits & vegetables - I like a salad or veggie soup for lunch every day. Breakfast should be the biggest meal (eggs are good) and dinner the lightest (I usually do chicken breast or fish, and vegetables - that''s it). Once a week or so I eat out, and I love food, so I''ll have whatever I want, but that''s only 1 day a week. For us, the little snacks & hidden calories in coffee drinks & things really add up, so just avoid those and junk food.

It is definitely harder to lose weight & maintain the loss with hypothyroidism, but me & a friend of mine (she also has Hashimoto''s) are able to do it with a reasonable diet and an active lifestyle. She is 5'' and wears a size 0, so it''s possible to be slim, you just have to work at it.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 12:23:01 PM
Author: vespergirl
Hi there, I have Hashimoto''s Disease, which causes hypothyroidism, and it is possible to lose weight and maintain the loss, but it is very difficult and requires serious commitment. I even lost all 35 pounds of pregnancy weight and am back to the size I was before having a child.

I''m 5''9'', weigh around 145, and wear a size 6 or 8. When I wasn''t exercising or dieting, I weighed 165 and wore a size 12.

I started running, every day, 2 or 3 miles a day. Because our metabolisms are so much slower, you can''t miss a day of exercise. Swimming is good too, but all of the wimpier cardio stuff, like walking, may help you maintain your weight, but you won''t lose any weight just walking. You also need to add strength training - I do 15 minutes 5 days a week of calisthenics. Running is really the best, though, because you don''t need a gym membership, or tons of equipment. Even now that I have a son, I run every day during his nap time, or before he gets up, if I have enough time very early in the morning. My friends with kids can''t believe that I ''waste'' my ''me time'' (his nap time) exercising, but they are all still carrying around pregnancy weight, so I''d rather exercise and be able to wear my old clothes I guess.

Also, you really have to watch what you eat. I eat limited carbs, and of those, only whole grain (100% whole wheat bread & pasta, brown rice.) Eat a lot of fruits & vegetables - I like a salad or veggie soup for lunch every day. Breakfast should be the biggest meal (eggs are good) and dinner the lightest (I usually do chicken breast or fish, and vegetables - that''s it). Once a week or so I eat out, and I love food, so I''ll have whatever I want, but that''s only 1 day a week. For us, the little snacks & hidden calories in coffee drinks & things really add up, so just avoid those and junk food.

It is definitely harder to lose weight & maintain the loss with hypothyroidism, but me & a friend of mine (she also has Hashimoto''s) are able to do it with a reasonable diet and an active lifestyle. She is 5'' and wears a size 0, so it''s possible to be slim, you just have to work at it.
Thank you soo much. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Everything I have been trying hasn''t been working. You gave me some hope that it will be possible to lose some of the weight for this wedding. Looks like I am going to need a new pair of running shoes...
36.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I hope this isn''t too discouraging to you, but I just wanted to commiserate. I had hyPERthyroidism, and had to have my thyroid removed, so I''m now hypo and taking replacement hormones. I started gaining weight as soon as I went on medication to treat the hyperthyroidism and I haven''t been able to get back to my post-diagnosis weight. Before my wedding, I worked out every weekday for a month as well as eating a healthy diet, but I didn''t lose any weight. I have been able to stop gaining and just maintain by eating healthy and staying as active as I can.

Good luck with your weight loss!

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 7:12:24 PM
Author: Sabine
I hope this isn''t too discouraging to you, but I just wanted to commiserate. I had hyPERthyroidism, and had to have my thyroid removed, so I''m now hypo and taking replacement hormones. I started gaining weight as soon as I went on medication to treat the hyperthyroidism and I haven''t been able to get back to my post-diagnosis weight. Before my wedding, I worked out every weekday for a month as well as eating a healthy diet, but I didn''t lose any weight. I have been able to stop gaining and just maintain by eating healthy and staying as active as I can.

Good luck with your weight loss!
No Sabine it isn''t discouraging. That is basically where I am at right now. If I lose anything I will be happy. I bought a few personal training sessions at the gym and start that on Sunday. Hopefully that will help a little. It is actually comforting to know that I am not the only bride in the whole world who is in this situation.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results