shape
carat
color
clarity

Quitting Smoking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2008 10:26:33 AM
Author: Smurfysmiles
it''s going *crabby face*
my mood swings and insomnia are back
and i had to clean off a poop covered cat this morning so im cranky
lol if i ever had a craving its right now, but im stuck at work so ill be fine
Hang in there, it WILL get easier! I bet its passed now as I am answering this?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
it certainly has lol
but my father is turning into a father of the bridezilla which doesnt help either :)
oh well im moving to colorado in 2 weeks, he cant do much about the little details when im in a different state haha

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 5:05:10 AM
it certainly has lol
but my father is turning into a father of the bridezilla which doesnt help either :)
oh well im moving to colorado in 2 weeks, he cant do much about the little details when im in a different state haha
You can do this smurfy, part of it is realizing you don''t need cigarettes to help you through, once you realize you don''t it gets much easier. The moment I was even slightly upset about something I would scuttle off for a cigarette, but I got over it!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
2 weeks since my slipup (I think) So far so good :)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
11 days since my slipup and I''m not even in the mood to have one. We are going out on Saturday night for our going away party, I''m really thinking since FI will be there with me he will help me through it though lol (gosh I make it sound so terrible that we''re going out!) I have to say it does help though that the city I live in has passed a no smoking in bars ordinance. It''s nice because I don''t have the smoke floating around to make the cravings even worse. Ok, that''s all :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep it up Smurfy! It does get easier, as you are now noticing the urge passes and you may not be thinking about smoking as much.

CWJ - hows it going for you?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I have a craving right now but im stuck in my cubicle so im sure it will pass haha
going away party is tonight so hopefully FI can help keep me in check

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you get a craving ride it out, remember they only last a few minutes then they go again - drink some water or chew some gum to help you through it.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Remember that craving, that longing, will pass. Then the times between cravings will get longer and longer until you don''t want or need a cigarette.

I speak from experience. I quit smoking over 6 years ago and haven''t had a cigarette since. I was a pack a day smoker. Just remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
36.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Smurfy, how''s it going? Do you want an ally because I am going to be quitting too. My bf and I have decided that this is our last carton and then we will be going cold turkey. I''m sort of nervous because he''s tried quitting in the past and he''s warned me that he gets NASTY when he does. But I''m going to try to be as understanding and supportive as I can. He''s smoked for 10+ years and I''ve smoked for 4. He''s been resistant to quitting even though he realizes all of the health benefits of quitting, but I think what has really changed his mind is the fact that he no longer has any co-workers or friends in the area who still quit. I joked that most people get peer pressured into starting smoking and here he is getting peer pressured out of smoking. Regardless, I''m happy just thinking of how much healthier we''ll be (and a bit richer too!)

I''ve gone without smoking in the past for various reasons (although not technically quitting). They say that the physical withdrawl really drops off after three days. But for me it was the psychological addiction. It''s a habit that I associate with so many activities that I found myself just mentally wanting to smoke if not physically. Boredom''s the worst trigger for me. So we''re going to try to replace one habit with another - exercising. Other than that, I think our plan is sheer willpower and um, lots of gum? I''m kind of daunted by all of these changes, but I just have to remind myself that this is something that I really want. So wish us luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck Honey, we are here to help you through it!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I think I''ll share my quitting story with you ladies...

When I was in beauty school everyone there smoked out back by the dumpsters (really classy, I know). And at my school it was almost an unwritten rule that if you were out smoking, the educators wouldn''t bother to look for you, ergo you wouldn''t be asked to do to do clients and because the clients were awful you wanted to avoid doing them at all costs...so, smoking was just the most amazing thing in the world. I vividly remember doing *just* enough clients to get take my tips and buy cigarettes. How sad. And because there were no set times for beauty school and the curriculum is based solely on the ammount of hours you attend, and you graduate after 1500 hours, no questions asked--I''d spend 12 hours a day clocked in, 10 of which I''d be out smoking in the back.

For the longest time, I didn''t think I was addicted. But slowly over time, I began to "need" a smoke...after a meal, on the phone, in the car, when I was just hanging out...and the addiction only grew with time. It could have be 20 below outside and there might have 5 feet of snow on ground, but if I was out of smokes you best believe I was going out to get some. I liked how smoking made me feel lightheaded, and supressed my appetite.

And my addiction was only compounded by the fact that no one gave me any problems. They accepted my smoking as just the way it was. Of course my parents would half heartedly suggest I''d stop...but no one ever held my feet to fire so to speak over it.

So, as I went out in to the salon industry, where smoking is so common place, I just continued. I never felt like it held me back in my career, and I never felt the need to quit. Until I met my husband.

My husband is like a walking breathing TRUTH ad. He hated my smoking but because he loved me...he became more or less complacent. But, after two failed pregnancies, it was time for a change.

I used the patch--drug store variety--and it was great. I stopped smoking March 15, 2008...and I''ve never had so much as a puff since then. That''s certainly not to say it''s been easy---because it hasn''t...but, it''s been okay. I miss the sensation cigarettes gave me...but I don''t miss the money I spent on them, or coughing, or way that whenever I was sick it just lasted longer and was worse.

Quitting is worth it, but its a commitment that you have to stay on top of.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Just checking in. I haven''t smoked since my last slip up which I posted about. I''ve been extremely stressed moving to a new place and then adjusting to a new job and then losing it 2 days later and wedding planning of course. But I have not had one smoke, though lord knows I felt like it. Even if we go out drinking I''ve been able to keep myself in check and not have one. I hope I can keep it up. I don''t want to be one of those brides you see sometimes leaving her own reception to go out and smoke.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 12:13:55 AM
Just checking in. I haven''t smoked since my last slip up which I posted about. I''ve been extremely stressed moving to a new place and then adjusting to a new job and then losing it 2 days later and wedding planning of course. But I have not had one smoke, though lord knows I felt like it. Even if we go out drinking I''ve been able to keep myself in check and not have one. I hope I can keep it up. I don''t want to be one of those brides you see sometimes leaving her own reception to go out and smoke.
Smurfy not only can you do this, you have DONE IT!!!!!!!! You are truly over the worst now, if you can go through all that stress without a cigarette, then you have cracked it!!! It will get easier from now on - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
thanks lorelei! :)
I think its hardest when im in the car, out at the pub for a few drinks, or really pissed off lol
so i just have to concentrate hardest at those times. although fi would KILL me if i tried to light up in his car haha, so that one isnt too hard :)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
ok, on thanksgiving i smoked
bad smurfy bad!
i think it was just the craving though because once i actually had it i didnt want it anymore
poor fi drove all over town looking for cigarettes for me bc i was slightly inebriated and all i wanted was to smoke
i certainly apologized the next day

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results