shape
carat
color
clarity

Miridia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Worried

Rough_Rock
My entire life I have struggled with me weight. I''ve always yoyo''d.

Years ago, I managed to lose over 80lbs. It was the achievement of a lifetime. But after I quit smoking, and got married (aka happy) the pounds slowly started to add back up.

I have been consulting my doctor and together we decided that coupled with a dietician, I''d start taking Miridia.

Anyone have any experience with this???

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi Worried! I do have some experience with Meridia, but it was about 10 years ago and I was 16 (the rec was to be at least 18 before starting it - also, I was about 30-40 lbs overweight). I had some pretty nasty side effects (jittery, anxious, and extreme sensitivity to the sun) and never lost weight using it (though I was not changing my diet or increasing exercise, though I was already very active as a soccer player). I thought it had been called off the market, actually, but I have been hearing more about it recently, so perhaps more studies/changes were made to the drug. Sorry I can''t be of more help, but I do recommend looking at the side effects very closely since I believe that was the biggest problem with the drug when it was first introduced.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, Worried!

As a 3rd year pharmacy student, I can share some good information with you about Meridia:

First of all, Meridia is one of only 2 drugs that is actually FDA approved for chronic use in weight loss (the other being Orlistat which is Xenical or Alli)

It is supposed to work by decreasing your appetite and helping to maintain or increase thermogenesis (which is heat production in the body). It inhibits the reuptake of the neurotransmitters, serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.

Weight loss is the most significant within the first 6 months of therapy. After you start taking it, your doctor should titrate your dose after the first 4 weeks (either up or down depending on efficacy or side effects).

The adverse effects that you may experience include: dry mouth, anorexia, insomnia, constipation, appetite increase, dizziness, nausea, increased blood pressure and pulse.

If you have a history of coronary artery disease, stroke, congestive heart failure, or arrythmias, you should NOT be taking this drug.

Also, be sure to monitor your blood pressure (your doctor should be doing this too). A safe blood pressure is less than <140/90 unless you have other disease states (like diabetes or the cardiac diseases listed above) Then your blood pressure should be less than 130/80.

If you have been on an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor- used for treating depression) you need a 2 week washout period before starting to take Meridia.

As a warning: pharmacologic therapies typically do not work in the long term because often time the patient fails to make lifestyle changes. I think its a great idea to work with a dietician. If you are able to exercise, you should do so. Changing your diet and beginning an exercise regimen is the safest and most effective way to lose weight and is the only way to keep weight off over time.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about any other weight loss drugs!

Good luck with your weight loss!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results