shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthy eating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Might it be ok to have this started to share healthy recipes with each other? And/or healthy eating tips, ideas, and favorite foods?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2008 9:19:48 AM
Author:dragonfly411
Might it be ok to have this started to share healthy recipes with each other? And/or healthy eating tips, ideas, and favorite foods?
Yes of course that is fine Dragonfly, great idea!! I am sure I have a few I need to think of....lets see...Ok -

string cheese
30.gif
If I get a bit hungry, then I find string cheese is excellent, it really helps me stay in control. As I don''t eat much meat, getting enough protein can be challenging, so string cheese is very useful for me, and not too bad for calories.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea! When I am really hungry I eat 6 dry roasted almonds. It''s very few calories and they are protein. They are just enough to curb my hunger.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a salad addict. My favorite is baby spinach (about two cups) with mandarin orange segments (love the Del Monte glass jar ones, they''re huge!), a handful of almonds, some craisins or dried cherries, or even sliced fresh strawberries, and Lite Done Right Honey Dijon dressing. OMG, so good.

Another salad favorite: mixed spicy greens (TJ''s has a bagged mix of them) with a few cold cheese tortellini/pesto (also TJ''s), fat free balsamic dressing, and I throw in walnuts or pinenuts and have some fruit on the side. Makes a great dinner when you don''t feel like making a separate entree.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another.

I put dry cereal in a bowl when I have a sweet tooth and eat that. It may sound strange, but I often prefer it that way.

I also make myself a lowish cal milk shake. You can freeze a peeled banana, put in a blender with some milk and low cal hot chocolate mix powder and ice, whizz it up, and it really helps curb a sweet craving. Or a non frozen banana works too.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 1:17:06 AM
Author: monarch64
I am a salad addict. My favorite is baby spinach (about two cups) with mandarin orange segments (love the Del Monte glass jar ones, they''re huge!), a handful of almonds, some craisins or dried cherries, or even sliced fresh strawberries, and Lite Done Right Honey Dijon dressing. OMG, so good.

Another salad favorite: mixed spicy greens (TJ''s has a bagged mix of them) with a few cold cheese tortellini/pesto (also TJ''s), fat free balsamic dressing, and I throw in walnuts or pinenuts and have some fruit on the side. Makes a great dinner when you don''t feel like making a separate entree.
Monnie, I LOVE salads too, especially ones like the first one! Loooove spinach. I will definitely have to give these a go!

Is TJ''s a grocery store near you? I don''t think I''ve heard of them before.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Dragonfly,
these are a few of my favorites:

stirfry veggies from Trader Joe's, Shrimp and teriyaki sauce (very low cal and easy way to get veggies)

Trader Joe's low fat string cheese of wheat crackers

I am like Marcy, I like a few almonds; they have fiber and are filling.

Most seafoods are low cal and I love to bake cod in tomatoes, broccoli and onions.

The Western brand Bagel for 100 calories. I toast it and smear Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge

I love to grill chicken and make extra for my weeks lunches. I loved that smoked taste; easy to cut up and thow on salad on eat it on low cal high fiber bread

I love boca burgers super low cal

Fiber one bars

apple w/ TBSP of peanut butter or banana w/PB

Raspberry's w/fage or yogurt or strawberries w/yogurt

I enjoy spinach salad w/lots of cherry tomatos and light bleu cheese dressing from Lighthouse

When I have a sweet tooth I love Jello's 60 calorie mint chocolate pudding or weight watchers Fudge bars, big and yummy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That reminds me, sugar free Jello is really useful. You get a lot for the calories which suits me!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2008 9:15:43 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 5/11/2008 1:17:06 AM

Monnie, I LOVE salads too, especially ones like the first one! Loooove spinach. I will definitely have to give these a go!

Is TJ''s a grocery store near you? I don''t think I''ve heard of them before.
Gwendolyn, TJ''s is short for Trader Joe''s, I see it mentioned so many times that I just assume everyone knows what the abbreviation stands for, he hee.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a spinach fan too. Favorite salad is that mixed with carrot, cucumber, black olives and sunflower seeds.

Also a filling high protein meal is about six sauted prawns. I've been eating those a lot recently, but now am paranoid about mercury, so I'm not sure how often I should eat them!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 7:32:08 PM
Author: MC
I''m a spinach fan too. Favorite salad is that mixed with carrot, cucumber, black olives and sunflower seeds.

Also a filling high protein meal is about six sauted prawns. I''ve been eating those a lot recently, but now am paranoid about mercury, so I''m not sure how often I should eat them!
hehe, I am on this crazy Spinach kick right now!!! Sounds delicious! I eat shrimp often since they are low in Mercury.

Everyone interested
34.gif
here is a list of Low Mercury fish all the way up to High mercury levels.
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve found that string cheese and small quantities of nuts work well for me also. In addition to those, I enjoy a small fat free pudding cup (to cure my chocolate/sweet tooth) and sometimes a handful of craisins.

BTW I''ve been away for a bit due to being sick, etc. and like the new healthy living area!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love string cheese as well! I''ll have that and a cup of jello sometimes when I''m starving but don''t really want a lot to eat.

My local bakery makes a cookie called "energy cookie" which is made with oats and wheat, coconut, cranberries, and nuts, and it is amazing! I can eat half for breakfast and it will fill me up!

I''m a big salad fan. I have recently been doing a basic green mix with feta, craisins and fresh blueberries with a low fat raspberry vinaigrette that I LOVE.

Is it true that Grapefruit has factors that help you to lose weight?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2008 7:56:36 AM
Author: Skippy123

I''m a spinach fan too. Favorite salad is that mixed with carrot, cucumber, black olives and sunflower seeds.

Also a filling high protein meal is about six sauted prawns. I''ve been eating those a lot recently, but now am paranoid about mercury, so I''m not sure how often I should eat them!
hehe, I am on this crazy Spinach kick right now!!! Sounds delicious! I eat shrimp often since they are low in Mercury.

Everyone interested
34.gif
I eat shrimp maybe a couple times a year (I''m veggie, but I still include seafood sometimes). I would worry more about cholesterol with shrimp maybe than the mercury content, I guess. I''ve heard that shrimp is really high in cholesterol, but i don''t know if it''s the good or bad type.

Tonight for dinner we had fresh spinach salad with grilled sliced portabello mushrooms seasoned with fresh garlic...I take the sliced portabello caps and marinate them with EVOO and fresh minced garlic, dried onion, in a Ziploc--you just shake the baggie with the ingredients inside and let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then DH grills it in a tin foil packet. I toss it with the salad and f/f balsamic dressing and tonight I added some pesto tortellini on the side, it was really good. You can add a little shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons if you like, or pinenuts, for crunch.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Monarch That sounds delicious!

I eat quite a bit of seafood, but am very careful about what kind and how much. I eat shrimp and most shell fish with no problems. I keep an eye on how much I eat shrimp wise. Mostly I stick to crab, oysters (very good for you) and scallops. Fish wise I eat wild salt water trout, red fish, whiting (not sure if that is the technical term), grunts (definitely not technical), some flounder, and sheep head (not scientific either probably). I eat some salmon but only wild, and only about once a month.

Last night we had steamed vegetables and a light salad with some grilled chicken. Today for lunch I''m having left over steamed veggies, and Morning Star Tomato Basil veggie burger patties, and maybe a couple of chunks of watermelon
18.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 12:23:46 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Monarch That sounds delicious!

I eat quite a bit of seafood, but am very careful about what kind and how much. I eat shrimp and most shell fish with no problems. I keep an eye on how much I eat shrimp wise. Mostly I stick to crab, oysters (very good for you) and scallops. Fish wise I eat wild salt water trout, red fish, whiting (not sure if that is the technical term), grunts (definitely not technical), some flounder, and sheep head (not scientific either probably). I eat some salmon but only wild, and only about once a month.
Yep, I''m careful about the kind of seafood, too, and especially where it was caught from. Only wild shrimp and fish and my favorites are king salmon and petrole sole. Sometimes I make cod, too, but seems like the prices are really going up. About two weeks ago, I bought pre-cooked king salmon from Whole Foods, which was $19.99 a pound! Insane.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to see you back PW
35.gif

Thought of another one - low fat cottage cheese. I can easily eat the plain variety, also hard boiled eggs can be good with a little low fat mayo, mashed up.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 4:14:00 PM
Author: Lorelei
Glad to see you back PW
35.gif

Thought of another one - low fat cottage cheese. I can easily eat the plain variety, also hard boiled eggs can be good with a little low fat mayo, mashed up.
Thanks Lorelei!
35.gif
Good to be back. Between the wrist sprain from ice skating and a bad upper respiratory infection, I''ve been away for a bit but looking forward to catching up with everyone on the WWT thread soon!

Regarding cottage cheese, I wish I could do it but it''s one of those weird foods I just kind of stopped eating after about age 6 or 7, along with raisins (I guess tastes change!). I do enjoy hard boiled eggs now and then - yummy! Today I had a nice salad for lunch. I enjoy a good salad but find it even easier to eat salads when the weather starts getting warmer as it has been the last few weeks. I am less inclined to eat heavier/comfort type foods in warmer weather, which is a very good thing!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 12:26:25 AM

Date: 5/12/2008 7:56:36 AM
Author: Skippy123

Everyone interested
34.gif
I eat shrimp maybe a couple times a year (I''m veggie, but I still include seafood sometimes). I would worry more about cholesterol with shrimp maybe than the mercury content, I guess. I''ve heard that shrimp is really high in cholesterol, but i don''t know if it''s the good or bad type.

Tonight for dinner we had fresh spinach salad with grilled sliced portabello mushrooms seasoned with fresh garlic...I take the sliced portabello caps and marinate them with EVOO and fresh minced garlic, dried onion, in a Ziploc--you just shake the baggie with the ingredients inside and let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then DH grills it in a tin foil packet. I toss it with the salad and f/f balsamic dressing and tonight I added some pesto tortellini on the side, it was really good. You can add a little shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons if you like, or pinenuts, for crunch.
Monarch - this salad sounds yummy! I''ll definitely have to give it a try sometime soon.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like those 100 cal bags of microwavable popcorn, so I always keep some available.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I always have a bowl of unblanched almonds mixed with craisins and raisins, handy. Great healthy snack.
I am partial to "Astro" 6% Balkan style yougert--I mix it with honey and frozen bluberries/raspeberries. It is heavenly and filling.
I don''t eat much snack food, but if I do I defer to "Rice Works" gourmet brown rice chips--they come in great flavours (wasabi, curry, chili, etc) and are really fab.
I like hard boiled eggs--great protein and quick filler!

cheers--Sharon

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I recently found these popsicles at Costco that are smaller and all fruit. They are 45 calories each, so a nice snack in the summer!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
My FMIL turned me on to a slice of ham with a half wedge of laughing cow spread on it, and wrap a pickled asparagus with it. So good!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here are my current favorites...i am all about high fiber and protein diet during the week so i can splurge on desserts hehee.

Trader Joe''s FiberFul fruit strips: 60 cals, 6g fiber, 5g protein
Thomas Light Whole Grain muffins: 100 cals, 8g fiber, 4g protein
Fiber One yogurts: 60 cals, 6g fiber, 4g protein
Light n''Fit yogurts: 60 cals, 5g protein
Mozz String Cheese: 60-80 cals depending on brand, 6-8g protein depending on brand
Center Cut Bacon: Oscar Meyer: 2 strips 50 cals, 5g protein

For dinner: TJ''s Shepherd''s Pie: 390 cals, 34g protein in one pie!!

And of course still fage, berries, tart yogurt, egg whites scrambled for breakkie! Sometimes in the mornings if I am bored with egg whites, I make a mixture of protein powder, fiber one, kashi honey cereal to get a high protein and fiber breakkie.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
one of my fave spinach salads ---

spinach + sliced strawberries + pecans + light dressing

YUM.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh, and another ---

spinach + apple slices + walnuts + feta + balsamic vinaigrette

double YUM! i had this for lunch yesterday
5.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I like Kozy Shack''s sugar free rice pudding, just add cinnamon! Mmmm and 90cals!

*carrots and natural peanut butter is amazing!
*natural applesauce with cinnamon is surprisingly filling.

For sweets, try blending ice, skim milk and 1 container of fat free chocolate pudding. It makes a delicious low cal chocolate shake, and plenty to share. You can add instant coffee if you like a "mocha" shake, or try vanilla pudding for a vanilla shake.

My other suggestion is getting and reading the book "Eat to Live". I introduced my mom to it, and she has lost 25lbs. Her friend has lost 15 so far and is thrilled (he had been going to a personal trainer for years and his trainer asked HIM how he was losing weight, LOL!) It has a lot of great information and is enlightening, even if you don''t choose to follow the plan.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 2:37:50 PM
Author: trillionaire
I like Kozy Shack''s sugar free rice pudding, just add cinnamon! Mmmm and 90cals!

*carrots and natural peanut butter is amazing!
*natural applesauce with cinnamon is surprisingly filling.

For sweets, try blending ice, skim milk and 1 container of fat free chocolate pudding. It makes a delicious low cal chocolate shake, and plenty to share. You can add instant coffee if you like a ''mocha'' shake, or try vanilla pudding for a vanilla shake.

My other suggestion is getting and reading the book ''Eat to Live''. I introduced my mom to it, and she has lost 25lbs. Her friend has lost 15 so far and is thrilled (he had been going to a personal trainer for years and his trainer asked HIM how he was losing weight, LOL!) It has a lot of great information and is enlightening, even if you don''t choose to follow the plan.
I am going to order this book. It sounds good. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results