shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread May 26 till June 1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone! Happy Memorial Day and Happy Monday!

35.gif

I am very excited and honored to be allowed to start this week’s Healthy Living Thread. This week I’d like to explore how your healthy lifestyle has changed your life. I think being able to reflect on the positive benefits we receive from eating and living as healthy as possible will help reinforce our commitment to sticking with our many diverse healthy routines.

As I close in on my BIG goal I find myself reflecting more on where I came from and how much I have changed. I know I have mentioned this before but there is a man at work that reminds me of my former self, especially watching his labored movements as he walks down the hall. I don’t ever want to forget what that felt like. I remember the physical pain I felt while walking or standing because my feet and knees struggled to carry all that weight around. I also remember how unhappy I was for being so morbidly obese. Every step was difficult, every breath was labored, I had to support myself to stand up, I avoided my reflection whenever I could, I hated seeing myself in pictures and my health was so bad I constantly worried about a serious illness or dying.

When I finally became determined to do something about my health I knew the first step was to loose weight and I could only hope it wasn’t too late to reverse some of the damage I’d done to my body. In my wildest dreams I would not have thought I could wear size 8 jeans and be able to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a time. I still don’t know what my final goal will be but I’ve already accomplished more than I would have ever hoped for on that day when I began this journey.

So here’s my list of how my lifestyle change has improved me life.

My blood pressure and heart rate are no longer dangerously high
I can walk and stand for hours day after day without causing myself pain or discomfort
I can exercise and walk on a treadmill
I can buy clothes in any store
My self confidence has vastly improved
I like what I see looking back at me in a mirror or windowpane
I don’t worry about going to new places for fear I won’t be able to walk that far or that I won’t be able to find a place to set down once I get there
I sleep all night long and don’t wake up Marty or myself with loud snoring
I don’t worry about fitting in a booth or a chair in a restaurant
I feel like such a normal person now - I don''t stick out in a crowd

As I often say, “Life is Good”.
Marcy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BRILLIANT opener Marcy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Great opener Marcy
36.gif
36.gif

That is so true that there are so many changes that take place after you loose a large amount of weight. Here are my changes.

No longer borderline diabetic.
Can run for miles at a time.
Actually like to shop for clothes again.
Can go to the beach and wear a bathing suit instead of shorts and tshirt.
Catch my hubby checking me out.
Feel like I am a good example for my son.

Life is good, Marcy. You are such an inspiration with your weightloss. Way to go!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lorelei! We are having pants weather today. Are you feeling better?

Thank you Steph. I think the best thing on your list is no longer being borderline diabetic. That is a wonderful benefit!

Marcy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 10:15:49 AM
Author: marcyc
Thank you Lorelei! We are having pants weather today. Are you feeling better?

Thank you Steph. I think the best thing on your list is no longer being borderline diabetic. That is a wonderful benefit!

Marcy
Thanks Marcy, I do feel a bit better, the '' germ'' seems to have found a home in my left tonsil which is painful. Oh the weather....
32.gif
It is also a British Bank Holiday, so the weather is guaranteed to be pants, but this stuff is shocking!! High wind and non stop rain - yuck.
7.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, sorry to hear that pesky little germ has lodged itself in your tonsil. I hope it goes away soon and you feel better. Silly weather - it''s gorgeous when you are at work and rotten on the weekends or holidays. We have had a lot of rain the last week but we''ve been in a drought for years so we need the moisture.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Not much to report, but I had to say:

Great Job, Marcy! Very inspirational!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all! First of all, great opener, marcyc! Your story is extremely inspiring! I''ve never posted here before but I really want and need to make some changes in my eating habits, so I figured I''d give it a shot! I''m not necessarily trying to lose weight, but I would like to tone up overall, and I hope that with healthier eating habits and more exercise I can do just that. So I hope you''ll have me!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 11:27:10 AM
Author: thing2of2
Hi all! First of all, great opener, marcyc! Your story is extremely inspiring! I''ve never posted here before but I really want and need to make some changes in my eating habits, so I figured I''d give it a shot! I''m not necessarily trying to lose weight, but I would like to tone up overall, and I hope that with healthier eating habits and more exercise I can do just that. So I hope you''ll have me!
9.gif
WOO HOO Thing, you are MOST welcome!!!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 11:39:04 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif

35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Aw shucks...thanks Lorelei!

I''m going to try to start eating healthier...TODAY! I''ve already had 1 Coke for breakfast (
6.gif
), but I''m going to try to keep the Coke drinking to a minimum today. That''s probably the worst habit I have-I love to drink Cokes and sometimes I''ll have 4+ cans of Coke in a day! So bad for me, and so many empty calories, too. I think I really need to quit cold turkey, but I am just hooked!

Since I quit smoking several years ago (also cold turkey), it''s the only addiction I have left (aside from diamonds and shopping, of course!
11.gif
)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 11:52:06 AM

Date: 5/26/2008 11:39:04 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif

35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Aw shucks...thanks Lorelei!

I''m going to try to start eating healthier...TODAY! I''ve already had 1 Coke for breakfast (
6.gif
), but I''m going to try to keep the Coke drinking to a minimum today. That''s probably the worst habit I have-I love to drink Cokes and sometimes I''ll have 4+ cans of Coke in a day! So bad for me, and so many empty calories, too. I think I really need to quit cold turkey, but I am just hooked!

Since I quit smoking several years ago (also cold turkey), it''s the only addiction I have left (aside from diamonds and shopping, of course!
11.gif
)
Hehe! I understand the soda addiction as I love my diet Pepsi''s but I try to drink my 2 litres of water a day to cut down on the soda, but I do enjoy them! Just take it a day at a time, remember all positive changes begin with a single thought and a single step!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brilliant opener Marcy! Very helpful.

Hope you all have a good Memorial day!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Somethingshiny!
Welcome Thing2of2! I appreciate the kind words. Coke is one of my favorites too. I reserve it for a treat on the weekend and buy the 8 oz size to keep those empty calories to a minimum. Diamonds and shopping are a fun addiction – costly but fun.
Lorelei, that is such a good point that all positive changes begin with a single thought and a single step!
Thanks, Bee! I hope you get your kitten tomorrow.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Happy Memorial Day!

I just got back from a 30 minute walk and OMG it is so HOT outside, I checked the weather and it claims to be 88 degrees, but it feels like 188.

Also I made Ellie Krieger''s breakfast cookies this morning, they are supposed to have a variety of ingredients to help sustain energy throughout the morning...has bran flakes, raisins, walnuts. They taste a bit like paper mache but I''m going to try them out this week instead of my toast w/ pb to see if I notice a difference.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Coke so much-I''m glad I''m not the only one! Although I must let you know that I HATE Pepsi, Lorelei!
25.gif
You should drink something delicious if you''re going to drink a soda-Coke!
9.gif
But seriously, I need to not buy 12 packs anymore so I won''t have easy access to it. marcyc, that''s a good idea about the mini cans-that could give me my taste of Coke but cut the calories down. If I can practice enough self control to not drink them all at once, that is!

I had a pretty healthy lunch-sushi, miso soup and salad. I''m skipping going to a BBQ place for dinner-my fiance really wanted some but I said nope-healthy eating starts today! So now I''m trying to figure out something healthy to eat for dinner! We''re bad and eat out constantly-I need to figure out how to cook a few things so we can eat in some nights. That''s going to be another part of my healthy eating project.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appletini, we had chilly weather with rain today. I am sure it felt really hot while you were out walking. Good luck with the breakfast cookies. I won’t eat anything that doesn’t taste good to me – I don’t want to waste the calories.
1.gif

Thing2of2, I buy the Coke in 8 oz bottles when I can find them. It tastes better. They are certainly more pricey than the little cans but if I’m splurging I want it to taste as good as possible. I am with you on Pepsi, if I want to order a soda in a restaurant and they have Pepsi I say no thanks. It is difficult to eat out while watching what you eat but things that I’ve done is try to find out caloric information before we go so I can make wise choices or I order as plain of food that I can (avoiding fried, breaded, buttered, etc.) and no matter what I order I only eat ½ of it. Eating at home is definitely easier to control what you eat.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

Marcy, what a great opener. Here''s what being healthy has done for me:

I have developed a love of exercise.
I have seen things I might not have otherwise (hiking places I couldn''t if I were still overweight, etc)
Clothes shopping is fun.
Warning TMI: I have a normal menstrual cycle.
I don''t smoke anymore.
I have learned to try new foods, and really enoy items I never thought I would.

There are many more, I''m sure, but that''s all for now. I''m glad you''re still safe.

Rod, I hope your decision making is going well, and you feel good about whatever you end up deciding.

Apple, glad you had a great time at the wedding. I bet you looked fabulous.

Bee, hope all is well with you.

So I went to my parents'' for the weekend and to a family reunion yesterday. It was an enjoyable visit, my nephew just gets cuter and cuter; we had a slumber party on the air matress both nights.

I gained a pound, of course, but I know it will come right off.

John''s ankle is getting better. He''s BBQing pork loin with a pineapple salsa, corn and bread for dinner. YUM!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday evening, and nice last day of the long weekend.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Memorial Day all!!!

Thank you for the great opener Marcy! You always have such a positive disposition--it''s always a pleasure to read your posts!

Last week''s trip to the emergency room derailed my working out, but I am going to get back at it this week. Tomorrow is booked (there is of course the Skippy luncheon (!), and a bunch of errands that I might as well do before that since I''ll be on Michigan Avenue anyway) but Wednesday morning looks pretty good for an hour on the elliptical machine.

It''s pretty warm here today (I think it''s the first day we''ve had in the 80s so far this year) and I had the brilliant idea to take the pups for a long W-A-L-K before dinner. I didn''t realize how hot it was or how far we were going to go so I didn''t bring them any water. When we got home Oscar drank so much water right away that he puked. Poor thing! And it''s all my fault. I felt terrible! He seems OK now but I was really mad at myself.

For dinner we had some left over grilled chicken from last night, a really interesting potato dish with a sauce made of tomatos, garlic, crushed peanuts, and who knows what else, and some nan bread from TJs that we heated up in the oven. Quite tasty!

It''s really early but I think I might go get in bed soon with my laptop and a book that I''ve been reading.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I am officially bored today! The long weekends always are a challenge for me. I baked a roast for dinner today with mashed potatoes. Marty was playing golf so I planned on eating about 2 pm. About 1pm I was starving so ate raw veggies. About 2:15 Marty still hadn’t called so I went ahead and ate my 3 oz of roast and 2/3 cup of mashed potatoes. We had fruit and show churned for supper (not at the same time). We are in the 40’s here today with rain. I did eat more than 1200 calories today but only about 400 calories more. I was hungry and bored – a bad combination but those dry roasted almonds and baked lays are snacker friendly foods. I did walk 2 more minutes on the treadmill – upping my time to 32 minutes.
21.gif
Tomorrow I will start preparing for my summer classes so that will give me something to do after work.
Thanks, Kimi. That is great you’ve hiked places you wouldn’t have gone to before, I told Marty I want to go back to Garden of the Gods in Colorado because I could actually walk around and enjoy it instead of driving through it in the car. I am glad you had a nice slumber party with your cute nephew. Rats for gaining a pound this weekend, I probably put on a pound or two but it’s back to my routine tomorrow.
DeeJay, thank you for the nice compliment. I love to read your posts too, you also say something that makes me laugh. I can’t wait to hear about the Skippy luncheon. I am so excited for you guys. Please take many pictures for us. Poor Oscar! I hope he feels better.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

Happy Monday and Memorial Day, everybody!

35.gif

Marcy, FAB opener!!!

36.gif
36.gif
It really put me in a reflective mood about the healthy changes I’ve made and why continuing the journey is so worthwhile.

Your intro was especially apropos because last week was a little rough, healthy habit-wise. Work was krazee, and my running and eating habits fell by the wayside. I think what aggravated me most was that I have allowed work to become a convenient excuse for not exercising. I mean, if the President—who is probably a wee bit busier than I am—can fit in exercise, so can I! I need to be honest with myself about my commitment and not let slipups spark the all-or-nothing attitude that led to my weight gain in the first place. Onto a better week!

1.gif

Marcy, as always, it’s inspiring to read your posts and see how the positive changes you’ve made have impacted your life. Great job adding minutes to your treadmill routine!!

Steph, no more borderline diabetic status is huge, as are your other changes. Kudos!!

Lorelei, hope you’re feeling better soon and pantsy weather gives way to something warmer.

Hi, somethingshiny and bee*!

Welcome, Thing. I’m new to this board, too. And congrats on quitting smoking. My dad smoked for many, many years. It’s a tough one to give up!

appletini, the breakfast cookies sound good. Did they help sustain energy?

Kimberly, wow lots of wonderful things on your list of healthy choices benefits! Family reunions can be so much fun.

Dee*Jay, glad to hear that you’re on the mend. Have fun at your luncheon.

Gotta run. (Not literally, though!) Best wishes to all!
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, it sounds like you had a great time visiting with people at Starbucks.
Kathy, I am glad you found my opener a trigger for contemplating why continuing your journey is worthwhile. I know the changes I’ve made certainly keep me motivated to succeed. Good point that if the president of the US has time to workout – we should be able to find the time. I was excited to be able to add 2 more minutes on the treadmill.

Well, I am off to bed. Rats for having to go back to work tomorrow. I am watching “Ice Cream Paradise” on TV right now. Some of their treats look fattening enough to gain weight just watching the show. They are showing a $1000 sundae right now with real edible 23k gold on it. It has caviar on top, it’s in a crystal goblet, served with an 18 carat spoon, vanilla bean ice cream, chocolate sauce, candied fruit and almonds coated in 23 k gold and decorated with a 23k gold flower. They sell 10 a year. A dream sundae for us PS HLT’ers.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2008 1:08:04 AM
Author: marcyc
Rod, it sounds like you had a great time visiting with people at Starbucks.
Kathy, I am glad you found my opener a trigger for contemplating why continuing your journey is worthwhile. I know the changes I’ve made certainly keep me motivated to succeed. Good point that if the president of the US has time to workout – we should be able to find the time. I was excited to be able to add 2 more minutes on the treadmill.

Well, I am off to bed. Rats for having to go back to work tomorrow. I am watching “Ice Cream Paradise” on TV right now. Some of their treats look fattening enough to gain weight just watching the show. They are showing a $1000 sundae right now with real edible 23k gold on it. It has caviar on top, it’s in a crystal goblet, served with an 18 carat spoon, vanilla bean ice cream, chocolate sauce, candied fruit and almonds coated in 23 k gold and decorated with a 23k gold flower. They sell 10 a year. A dream sundae for us PS HLT’ers.
9.gif
I think we each deserve a dream sundae Marcy - I will take mine WITHOUT the caviar on top though - oh yuck!
emotion-41.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei - I am with you on the sundae. We do deserve it and definitely want it without caviar.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s funny, I kept wondering why there were so few posts yesterday and it wasn''t until this morning I realized yesterday was Monday and the start of a new week.

Wonderful Opening Marcy!!! Your list of the terrific things your healthy life changes have made are awe inspiring!! Here are just a few of mine:

I lost nearly 70 pounds but more importantly, my body fat went from 33% to 15%
I developed a love and addiction of exercise (you all know how much I work out)
I look pretty darn good in a t-shirt and not an XL one, but a Medium
I have muscles I never thought I could have at my age
I have cardio endurance I never thought possible
My blood pressure is normal
My cholesterol is good
I don''t snore
I quit smoking
I look younger than I did 10 years ago
I still can''t believe the image in the mirror is me!

I''m sure there are others I haven''t thought of, but looking at the above, I''m pretty pleased!

Hey Steph!! Good list!

DeeJay, we''re all jealous of the Skippy luncheon! Give her a big hug from us, OK?

Thanks Kimberly and you''re list is great too! I''m still not sure what I''m going to do about the job. I really feel like burying my head in the sand, but know I can''t do that for very long.

Lorelei, I''m sorry you''ve got a tonsil infection. I had mine removed when I was a wee little kid, but I do remember how painful tonsilitis was. You take care and feel better.

Welcome Thing!! You''ve come to the right place for helpful support on making whatever changes you''d like to make. I used to be a coke-a-holic, but haven''t had a softdrink in over 3 years. I don''t miss them and have lost my taste for sweet drinks altogether.

Sorry it''s so hot Apple, but good for you already doing your jog/run!!

Nothing much going on today. Charlie''s decided to look into getting some sort of certificate, perhaps in the medical world. Of course he inquired online and is being deluged with calls from local schools who would just LOVE to have him join their school. I''m still conflicted about the job. I need to go back to work, but is this the right job? I just don''t know.

We''ll be having lunch shortly, then heading out for a nice cup of coffee under the oak. We''ll probably split a blueberry scone from Panera to give us a few extra carbs to help fuel our workout at the gym this afternoon.

I hope everyone''s having a good Tuesday so far.......

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy, it was such a joy to read your opener. I am so happy for you, and proud OF you!!
36.gif

I have never had a real weight problem, but since the kids have grown up, I''m naturally not running around 24/7, so I tend to fluctuate a few pounds now, plus my age *cough* doesn''t help. Since I''ve started eating healthier for the most part, my "normal" weight isn''t as high as it was a few years ago. I still fluctuate, but if I would exercise regularly, that wouldn''t be a problem. I''m just lazy I guess.
9.gif
I like walking on my treadmill, once I get in the routine, it''s just getting there.
11.gif

As for eating, now that I watch it more, I don''t feel so guilty when I eat something I shouldn''t, because it''s just a little bit, and not all the time (meaning my whole diet). I had a full blood work up almost a year ago, my first one. I was really curious about what it might be, but every single number was right where it should be. So I know that for me, my choice of eating is working, even though I don''t do the low cal/low fat thing most do.

Rod, funny reading you''ve lost your taste for soda. I don''t normally drink it, and if I do, it''s Fresca. Yesterday the guys cooked pizzas, and I had a piece. I decided to splurge and have a Pepsi with it. I took and sip and did this --->
14.gif
It seriously tasted bad, so I''m done with that. Now if that would just happen with cigarettes, I''d have it made in the shade...

Have a great week all!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy,

What a great opener. We are all SO proud of OUR Marcy!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
We should call you Tiny Marcy now.
9.gif

We visited my mom on Sunday and we took the boys with us. She loves seeing them. We took all the dogs to the park by her house. She couldn''t go, so she stayed home. The weather was nice, just a tad chilly.

Ellen and Rod: I don''t drink soda anymore either, diet or regular. Regular is tooooo sweet. I''ve always had diet soda with my lunch, but not anymore. Now I drink Iced tea or water. Diamondfan (Caroline) posted a great website for herbal teas, so I ordered a few. Should make great iced tea for summer.

DeeJay: How lucky you all are: Wish we could come to the Skippy luncheon too
7.gif

Will post more later.

Love, Linda

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey all!
Sorry I am delayed in starting the week, we were out FISHING yesterday! FUN FUN! This weekend was rather active with lots of fishing and walking for me. And I had a fantastic lunch in Cedar Key. It was Chicken salad surrounded by lots of tropical fresh fruits over greens. YUMMO. I managed to maintain over the weekend thank goodness. This morning I got up and walked for half hour and we got FitTV going so I did the Namaste Yoga at 8:30.

For the results of my healthy living:
I have lost 21 lbs
I feel better about myself and my body
I am happier
I have much more energy
I can run for 15 mins without stopping for breath
I don''t have as many food allergy related issues (coughing, upset stomach etc)
I have more to do
I know more about my body and it''s limits
and I can walk a mall without getting winded

Marcy - This was a Fantastic opener! I''m glad to hear about all of your results esp. the blood pressure and heart rate!
Steph - yay to no longer being border diabetic
Thing2- That is a great goal!! glad to see you!
Apple - I want the recipe for those cookies! Yummer
Kim - Great on quitting smoking!!
Dee - sometimes dogs don''t know when enough is enough. When people are dehydrated all they want is water, but we know when we are gonna be sick. Don''t feel bad! I''m sure he''ll be fine!
Rod - great to all of those healthy results!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic Opener, Marcy!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had my PT today...I''d rescheduled it for today b/c I had a meeting Thursday afternoon, well that meeting has now been rescheduled, but it was a tough workout and it helped wake me up out of weekend mode.

lifestyle life improvements list....since this is the theme this week
--I can wear a size 2 again!
--I have more energy
--when I think I can''t, I really can
--stress management
--over the weekend confidently walked around in a bikini without worrying about the belly
--people actually ask me for eating tips
--haven''t gotten really sick during times of the year that I normally would
--I can sell tickets to the gun show
emwink.gif

kathleen & dragon,

the breakfast cookies worked pretty well today compared to my english muffin with peanut butter. I have 2 breakfasts...#1 at ~6:30am when I''m getting ready for work, I like to have something portable that I can carry around the house with me and #2 ~9am at work, special k vanilla almond cereal with skim milk. I put my cookie in the microwave this AM to warm it up and make it extra chewy, I also froze part of the batch to have for next week.

Here is the link to the recipe...it says to use carrot babyfood, but I just substituted some natural applesauce b/c I had some from another recipe...they are not as good as normal cookies though, but its to early in the morning for me to notice...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_109112,00.html

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Nothing much to report my end. I went to my step aerobics class last night and today I was working all day and then D and I went to see our kitty!! He''s absolutely gorgeous!! He''s only 9 days old and his eyes opened for the first time today. His mammy his such a nice cat so I hope that he gets her temperament. I can''t wait for another six weeks to get him home and introduce him to his big sis Amber!! It''s nearly midnight here and I have to get up for work at 5.30 so I''ll post more after the SATC movie tomorrow night!! Here''s a photo or two of what will hopefully be little Manolo (if D agrees on the name
9.gif
).

beeskitty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results