shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread March 9 - 15

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:35:57 PM
Author: Mara
Marcy, sorry for your loss... big hugs. My Grandma is going through some health issues right now, I think she will be fine in the end as she is a strong woman, but it is never easy.

Hello WWT''ers...it''s good to see everyone doing really well as usual.

I am lurking around here and there...here is a little story for you. Unfortunately, I have not worked out in almost a month. I had a horrible flu for 2 weeks. When I finally went back to Zumba, the next day I had a horrible cold that lasted 2 more weeks and still is not ENTIRELY gone. The odd thing...is that I lost 7 lbs with the first flu--gained back 5 when I was better, and then lost 2 when sick again. So I am about 4 lbs below what I was when I got sick, and I was fine with my weight then, kind of at a sweet spot.

Sounds like a dream right? Well..the funny thing is that I don''t really care if I stay here or gain the 4 lbs back, it was probably muscle, but smaller jeans and clothes fit me better now, so I kind of like it. But since I have been sick, I have been eating like I was when I was in my 20''s. Seriously. Pizza, Fish and Chips, Cookies, Brownies, Ice Cream. As in... 4 cookies in one sitting. 1/2 a pint of ice cream. McDonalds for lunch. Stuff I haven''t done in YEARS, you guys probably remember how strict I was. In reality, I was not that strict anymore in general since I have been in maintenance, but still watched what I ate overall, and worked out 5x a week before these illnesses got me.

I admit it. I LOVE eating like this. I am a crap lover at heart, even though my head knows that healthier is better and that typically I feel better overall when being healthy. Anyway I am wondering how long it will take my body to regulate again...because this can''t last forever. But it made me think of something and I figured you WWT''ers, esp the die hards who have been like me over the last 3-4 years, would find this interesting.

If you guys COULD go back to eating the way you did before you got on the healthier lifestyle kick...with maybe like 75% the way before and 25% the way you eat now--would you?? Think really hard about it. Because I *know* healthier is better of course, I walked that walk for almost 3 years now, but seriously I forgot how good some of this crap really is.

I am enjoying it while I can--it will be a rude awakening when I realize that its back to salads and soup for me and cookie rationing once more.
Good to see you Mara, sorry to hear you have been sick....Flu REALLY is terrible.

To answer your question, yes I would love to be able to eat the way I did before mainly, but I won''t because I know what will happen! I too am a crap lover at heart!
30.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
lliang~ What is Zico??

steph~ good luck with all your upcoming events!

Rod~ HI! Hope you and Charlie are doing well. I''m sure you see the unemployed by the dozens, it must be a little difficult to see that. DH is a machinist. He runs all the CNC and lathes and stuff. Basically any manufacturing, which we know is in a huge decline. He''s had a job offer, but they can''t pay enough to live on. Unfortunately, he makes more on unemployment than going to work for them. He does have an interview with a good company next week. Hopefully something good will come of it.

stephbolt~ Yay for a painting party! Use LOTS of drop cloths!!

steph~ RE: the other thread. LOL! It seems I have run everyone off!! Thanks for the dust!

Marcy~ Your family is still in my prayers. I''m glad that you and Marty got some time with her before she went.

Zoe~ I LOVE Fiber One Honey Clusters. Even my little guy likes it. And, it has something like 13g per serving.

Kimi~ Feel better!

PW~ Great job on your workouts! The first exercise was rough for me, but it can only get easier again...

Lorelei~ Glad things are looking up!

lliang~ LOL that you mention "super Rod" because that''s exactly what I was thinking!! We do a lot of DIY stuff and we love it! We''ve already gutted nearly an entire bathroom (except teh tub) and installed everything from walls to floor and electrical to the potty, sink, etc. (that was in Oct when we first bought the house) Actually we need to get up in the attic and install a bathroom fan in there too. Our "big" kitchen plans are for new cabinets, counters, floors, lighting, just about everything (and a fridge if we can swing it). We initially intended on taking down a wall and putting in a peninsula, but due to support structure, we''ve had to change the plan. We''ve found the everything we need and we can do ALL of the work ourselves, but we''re still holding off until DH is employed. We put up a couple walls and we built in a little display shelving thing in the kitchen. (the wall backed an odd cupboard in the bathroom that I stole some space from) We hardwired puck lights on the tops of the shelves so I can display my crystal in it. We''ve also been working on installing electrical and lighting in the garage.

Mara~ My "eating healthy" is probably like your "crap eating"!! I never cut out the pizza, ice cream or brownines! I can''t give it all up personally.

apple~ enjoy your trip!!

Hi, charger!

I''ve done a bit of yoga and got tired pretty quickly, but I feel better already just knowing I''m doing something again! New for me though is my blood sugar plummeting. I tried to quit all the snacking and junk food I''ve been into throughout the winter and I only went 3 and a half hours without eating. I was getting really dizzy but I had been frenzy cleaning so I assumed that was the problem. My friend is diabetic and she gave me one of her machines to have on hand. I checked my glucose level and it was 49. I grabbed an apple and felt better. It was funny though, I thought to myself, you''re destined to be chunky forever; your body goes on strike if it goes too long without food. It was weird because I wasn''t even hungry and had to force myself to eat.

Anyway, it is really nice to be back on here again. It motivates me just to read about you guys! Have a great day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SS!!
35.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the encouragement, everyone!!!

Tacori: first of all, I LOOOVE all your changing pictures of your sweet little girl...she is gorgeous, and I bet anything she gets it from her mommy!!! secondly, I am sorry that you haven''t seen the scale move, but focus on your health, and I know that you and I will both soon see a difference in our bodies! I know exactly what you mean about looking at yourself in the mirror--to be honest, it''s why I avoid classes
7.gif
but I am sure you are being too critical of yourself. You are on the right track, and it''s just a matter of time until your body gets back to where you are comfortable and healthy!!

Patiently: would you mind sharing your recipe for lentil soup??
34.gif
I am getting more into cooking and I certainly don''t have enough lentil recipes (they are SOOooooo yummy!...

Skippy: I''m applauding you too!!!
36.gif
36.gif
I want Michelle Obama arms tooooo, but I can''t do any pushups!! Literally, not one. Am I the only one? it''s funny because FI was laughing at me the other night because I can''t even do one modified pushup and was trying to convince him that I will never ever in my life need to...hehe...but it is sad--I need to get stronger in my upper body!

somethingshiny: I am sorry about your husband''s job, but it sounds like you are really making it work...you must be very proud that you are able to make ends meet even when times are tough!

lliang: 100 pushup challenge sounds amazing! you and Skippy and Rod are my new pushup heros!!!! and good for you with the yoga! once I lose some weight I think I''ll try to go back to yoga, but like Tacori, I sort of hate being in classes because I''m so self-conscious...
thanks for the message about not freakin out about the scale...it''s hard to keep in mind, but you are 100% right...it does take time! can I ask you--it sounds like you make different things for James than yourself..? do you find that difficult? FI and I almost always eat dinner together and so we eat the same things...we both need to lose weight, but he sometimes doesn''t like to eat things as bland as I''m willing to take them...do you have any suggestions?

stephbolt: good luck on your presentation, and awesome mindset about the eating
1.gif
sounds like you''re doing great!

Rod: I am SO with you about it being dark in the morning--but I do love that it''s light out so much later...thanks for the support, too!!!

steph: I also love seeing pictures of your little boy...he is so gorgeous...again, must get it from mommy
2.gif
I am SO the same way about the weather...it''s been a rough winter up north so I''m superrrrr tired of it.

marcy: I am so sorry to hear about grandma...my thoughts are with your family
7.gif

ZoeBartlett: let''s all work on not beating ourselves up! let''s all focus on the hard work we''re putting in to be healthy and accept and love ourselves even if we make mistakes! (easier said than done, I know
28.gif
)

Kimberly: feel better soon!!!

Lorelei: way to go with the 50 min workout!!! keep up the great work!

Mara: hi
35.gif
I sorta went through the same kind of thing--I''ve been sick a lot this winter, but I''m turning over a new leaf now that I''m trying to get ready for my friend''s wedding and my own...I know I need to be healthier too, so really, as much as I loooove junk food (and honestly, I really, really REALLY love it), my health is truly more important to me, so I have to show my body the respect it deserves
9.gif

appletini: nice work!! enjoy your ski trip--I bet it will be awesome!

welll....I forgot to buy a tape measure when I was at the pharmacy yesterday, haha...I wonder if that was purposeful...
but I really want to stop weighing myself so much...the only problem is that this early on I really want to see what is effecting a change and what isn''t...

for all of you who are trying to lose weight, how often do you weight yourselves? I want to do like once a month or something, but I am so obsessive!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Went on a long walk (2 miles+) and am dragging myself to Zumba today. I feel lazy and tired but know it is good for me. Have to take T with me so I wonder if I will have any funny stories later.

SS, you are sweet but alas I am chubby. Plus I cannot dance. It is still fun though. Sorry to hear about your DH''s job. Hope he gets one soon. Hope you get to start back with Yoga soon as well.

lliang, DH watches her on Monday nights b/c it is at an adult only Y. Most of them have child watch but a few don''t. I am bringing her tonight though. I think my body really likes this extra padding. I still am hopeful I will see results soon.

Steph, you DO sound busy! Glad I am not the only one who avoids the mirrors. It IS interesting how many people look like they are seducing themselves in the mirror
20.gif
Many people LOVE watching themselves.

Rod, hope you have a great workout tonight. I am sure you will. Hope you leg is doing better. Unfortunately my clothes (at least jeans) do not feel any looser. I don''t really get it but oh well. That''s life.

Steph, I guess I am my worst critic. I think I was depressed anyways yesterday so that sent me over the edge. I came home in such a bad mood. Poor DH. That is great you lost 8 lbs! I know you are working hard. I have gained 3 lbs. Oh well.

Marcy, I am so VERY sorry to hear about Marty''s Grandma! You and his family are in my thoughts. I think it will budge soon too. Zunma tonight will be my 4th workout of the week (2 gym, 2 walks) so I am off to the right track. I think I am going to start a food journal again b/c I am OBVIOUSLY eating too much.

Zoe, T is doing better She is at the height of separation anxiety (happens around 18 months) so I don''t blame her. She really doesn''t understand that mommy will be back. Makes me feel bad. Don''t beat yourself up. Luckily tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start.
1.gif

Kimberly, in a way it makes it worse that I have been working out 4-6 times a week for the past 6 weeks and haven''t lost a lb. KWIM?

PW, that is exactly what my DH said (about being healthier by just GOING to class). Glad work has slowed down so you can get back to the gym.

Lor, 50 mins is great! They are getting longer. What is your goal for the week?

Mara, sorry you have been so sick That happened to me last fall. Hope your grandma gets better soon. As for your question (though I am not a long term HLTer) yes I would. I love everything that is bad for you and am actually a picky eater. It is hard for me to eat healthy b/c I don''t tend to like healthy things. So I try to enforce portion control and healthier versions of my favorite foods (like mac & cheese).

alli, you are too sweet. Actually she is a mini me. She looks just like I did as a toddler but her face is rounder and her eyes are hazel (we think). Good thing she is so cute b/c she is the reason I am fat! Haha. I usually stand in the mid-back of the class and block my few by someone in front of me. For some reason yesterday was really slow. I like classes b/c I am lazy and it pushes me to workout harder than if I was on my own. I used to weigh myself daily. Now more like once or twice a week.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy sweetheart, my deepest sympathy to you, Marty and his family. Hugs and prayers to you.

Lots of love,
Linda
xoxoxoxox

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from Zumba! So tired but glad I went. Tessa did well. Cried when I dropped her off but was playing very happily (I spied) when I picked her up.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I ended up doing a two-a-day and walked around the neighborhood for 40 minutes this evening. This is the last warm sunny day for awhile so I decided to take advantage of it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the well wishes, everyone.

Tacori, it''s frustrating, I''m sure, but please do your best not to beat yourself up. Have you taken a close look at your eating habits? For me it has always been something like 15% exercise/85% what I eat. I don''t recall you discussing eating habits, so I was just curious if you''ve added that piece to the equation.

Mara, I miss Cinnamon Toast Crunch for breakfast, but I tend to eat the things I really crave/love in small portions so I don''t feel like I''m missing out on anything. I have grown to love fresh fruits and veggies, fish, etc. so I don''t really miss the way I used to eat. But I was only a fast food junky while in college, and even then I probably ate it 2-3 times a week (as opposed to daily as a lot of college students do). I wouldn''t trade being healthy and thin for much, I really enjoy feeling so good (sans the total slacking I''ve been doing the past several weeks, but I miss exercising).

Have a great night all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends, I am back from 60 mins of squats, lunges, walking squats, push ups, and muscle work. hehe The gym was CRAZY packed tonight; this class is getting super popular. There were no steps left; thank goodness I got one!!! I am making chicken for dinner and then tomorrow night is lentil soup because PW and LLIANG have me craving it. I was super busy today. Tomorrow I have my nephew but before he comes over I hope to get a long walk in. Hope everyone is well
35.gif
Great job on all the healthy strides friends!!!
36.gif

TACORI, love the new avatar, awww, precious Tessa! hehe You are not chubby! Woo for your walks and workouts; you are doing awesome woman!!! Hope you slept well. It is fun walking w/hubby. Does Tessa walk or do you push her in the stroller?

SOMETHINGSHINY, great to see you back; I missed you!!! Yum to homemade pizza. I make mine from scratch; I put the recipe in the thread up top w/healthy recipes. I will let you know if the turtle comes back; I miss him. How is JT? I am sorry about your DH; I will keep you all in my strongest prayers, hugs.

LLIANG, oh wow, that push up thing looks good. I will have to try it!!! I can only do 10 good push ups in a row. That would be great to do 100! hehe Okay, I will try it tomorrow. My muscle hour was crazy packed too; no steps were left and we were all so close to each other, ick! yum the mango thing sounds good. oh before I forget I noticed that if I have my headphones on to a rockin song I can do more push ups. ehehe

STEPHBOLT, good to see you; don't work too hard. thanks for the kudos; how are you hon?

ROD, I went to the chiropractor today and it brought me relief and I thought about you. I hope your leg/back feels better soon. Yum your dinner sounded yummy! I am going to do the push up challenge LLIANG posted about. hehe Yay for your 100 push ups; wow, those are UBER, you hot bod Rod! hehe

STEPH, yay for gorgeous weather; awwww, thanks for your sweet words dear friend in hangout. You inspire me too, hugs, you kind lady!

MARCY, thinking of you and Marty, prayers outgoing during this difficult time honey.

ZOE good to see you; hugs. Just a thought but have you tried the Thomas double fiber english muffin? those are yummy with an egg for protein. hehe

KIMI, I am sorry you are sick, take care and hope you feel better soon. Yay for J walking with you sometimes:)

P_W, good to see you back!!! I missed you. Yay for workouts!! I love the outdoors for working out too; it is just so refreshing and happy! Thanks about the turtle me too!

LORELEI, yay for the workout and getting a new boiler!

DEEJAY, are you in Vail? hehe Have fun, we miss you!

MARA, hope you are feeling better soon. Well every time I go back to my old eating I gain weight so probably not, I wish.

CHARGER, hi girl, how are you?

APPLE, woo for yoga!! You are so good; yay for your ski trip!

ALLI, I am reading the Secret too; I am halfway done. thanks for the applause. hehe
1.gif
You are so sweet! I can only do 10 but girlie push ups. hehe Hey join us in the push up challenge!! I weigh myself every other day but in the morning; i hear you are only suppose to weigh yourself once a week though to not make ones self nutty. hehe

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, I know it must be my eating habits that are holding me back. I have NEVER claimed to be the healthiest eater. I wish I was. I am thinking of following a WW sort of plan. *sigh* wish this was easier as I am sure we all do.

Skippy, I push her. It would be a disaster if I let her walk. Sounds like a great workout! How are your knees holding up? DO you need anything for "30 day shred" video (weights, ball, etc)?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:54:41 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Kimberly, I know it must be my eating habits that are holding me back. I have NEVER claimed to be the healthiest eater. I wish I was. I am thinking of following a WW sort of plan. *sigh* wish this was easier as I am sure we all do.

Skippy, I push her. It would be a disaster if I let her walk. Sounds like a great workout! How are your knees holding up? DO you need anything for '30 day shred' video (weights, ball, etc)?
You need weights, but I don't know about the more difficult sections though. You start with level 1 and then move to 2 and then 3. Awesome that is a great workout pushing her; in fact at my gym they offer a stroller pushing class. The knee is okay, but I am only going to do that Sports Challenge 1x a week so it doesn't hurt. I noticed it hurt the other day so I am not going to do too much high impact stuff and rest it when it does hurt. How about you?? I hope your knee is feeling better friend.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah Skippy and Kim..typically I would not be able to eat like this and not gain weight..! I am taking advantage while I can. I would also not trade being healthy and trim for all the crap I am eating, but man I miss being able to just eat whatever I want like this AND not gain weight. Ahhh YOUTH. Those of you who have it, ENJOY. I tell my 18 year old pin-thin sis to eat whatever she can now. But she is already working out..so she''s a step above me at her age for sure. In fact, she is doing Zumba with me on Friday!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

The day got away from me and I didn''t work out or anything. I was going to go for a run but I ACTUALLY had the car today so I went to exchange the propane tanks and pick up some more pet odor cleaner from Petco. The dog threw up in the bedroom twice yesterday. Boooo. But she''s better now.

It''s still raining!!! BOO! I''ve got an 8K in 2 wks that I should actually start working towards.

Shiny, Zico is this beverage from Brazil. It''s coconut water and some have flavors like mango. It''s billed as the natural sports drink because it has electrolytes in it etc, and is naturally slightly sweet. It''s freaking good! But not a lot of places have it. I live in Chicago and the only place I''ve seen it is my yoga class. I want to ask them if I can but a case off them, that''s how tasty this thing is... Sounds like you''ve already done some awesome diy projects. I love seeing before and after pictures.

Alli, I don''t usually make different things for James than myself. The exception would be Indian food because he doesn''t like it (GASP! Can you believe that!!!). With James''s school & work, we only eat together a few times a week. When we do, I usually make lots of veggies and load up my dinner with that rather than the protein etc. James needs a lot more protein than I do. I like to make things for him that he likes because he''s been having a really stressful time with school & work etc. So I guess what I''m saying is, I don''t make different food for him, but I make a lot of sides (veggies etc) so I can have more of that and he can have more protein. If you and FI both need to improve you meals, but still want flavor, I''d suggest making other ethnic dishes that use more spices. Stuff like Indian, Mid-Eastern, Thai or Mexican. If you make these at home, they''re actually pretty healthy for you. James and I also like spicy hot food so that helps keeping things hot :) Also, instead of loading cooking something in butter, I''d use 3 parts canola oil & 1 part butter. Also adding a little bit of onion and/or garlic to steamed veggies makes them taste a lot better without needing to pile on salt etc.

Mara, not a big junk food eater but I LOOOVE good french fries. I can eat a ton of them.

Tacori, Glad T was so good at childwatch. You''re rocking it with Zumba again tonight!

Apple, jealous of your sunshine and warm-ness. Glad you''re enjoying it!

Skip, My goal is to just get through a good push up work out. Yay for giving it a try. We''ll become as super as super Rod :) I also do the 30 day shred when I''m working out at home too. It''s a really go 20 min workout. Really gets me sweating and the heart rate up!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.Thank you all so much for the hugs, prayers and condolences for us.I appreciate it more than you know.We chased around today working on arrangements and just reminiscing.The funeral is Monday.

Hi Steph!

Kimi, get well soon, we seem to be getting sick more often than we should this year.

Patiently Waiting, glad to hear your week is less hectic and you had time to make it to the gym.

Lorelei, glad to hear today is going better for you.

Lliang, you will be up to 100 reps in no time.

Mara, hugs to you and your grandma.I hope she gets better soon.Would I like to eat like I did before and not gain weight?It’s like a dream come true.However, I know it would never work for me.

Hi ChargerGirl.

Appletini, have fun on your ski trip.

Somethingshiny, glad to hear you felt better after eating.I know nothing about where your glucose level should be is 49 bad?

Alli, I think it’s good to weigh yourself and to measure yourself.I was very diligent about weighing myself daily when I was losing weight.Now I only weigh a few times a week.

Tacori, I love Tessa’s new picture.Great plan to start a food journal again.

Hi Linda.

Skippy, yeah for a great workout.Have fun with your cute nephew tomorrow.

Hi Rod.

Take care.

Marcy

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, the following is totally unsolicited, so feel free to ignore me. it''s an unfortunate thing that everyone I know who loses weight successfully has modified their diet significantly. Have you checked out www.sparkpeople.com ? If memory serves you and I are pretty close in height and weight, and with 4-5 workouts a week I ate about 1700 calories a day (with 2 freebie meals, meaning eat whatever I want) and I dropped about 10 pounds. I no longer count cals, but I eat about that amount now, with less freebie meals because we don''t eat out much anymore. I picked two things I love (wine and ice cream) and didn''t remove them from my diet; I ate low cal ice cream most nights for about a year (I''ve moved away from the habit) and a glass a wine with dinner. I needed to not give up everything, but I knew i needed to modify. Not sure this will help you at all, but I''ve been where you are and it can be frustrating.

Have a great day everyone.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:02:25 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Tacori, the following is totally unsolicited, so feel free to ignore me. it''s an unfortunate thing that everyone I know who loses weight successfully has modified their diet significantly. Have you checked out www.sparkpeople.com ? If memory serves you and I are pretty close in height and weight, and with 4-5 workouts a week I ate about 1700 calories a day (with 2 freebie meals, meaning eat whatever I want) and I dropped about 10 pounds. I no longer count cals, but I eat about that amount now, with less freebie meals because we don''t eat out much anymore. I picked two things I love (wine and ice cream) and didn''t remove them from my diet; I ate low cal ice cream most nights for about a year (I''ve moved away from the habit) and a glass a wine with dinner. I needed to not give up everything, but I knew i needed to modify. Not sure this will help you at all, but I''ve been where you are and it can be frustrating.

Have a great day everyone.
I signed up for sparkpeople last week mainly to just make sure I was eating enough calories. I just wanted a calculator to get an idea b/c even though I had been eating healthy that day I was starving...and even with two mini bite size candy bars, I was under calories for the day. The thing to remember is that even if you are eating healthy you still to make sure you get enough calories and protein to keep you going. I personally don''t plan to enter my meals and workouts, but now that I have signed up I receive daily emails with a exercise move of the day and recipe of the day, so it gives me ideas to try something different in the gym and in the kitchen.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, how are ya''ll doing? This week I''m in charge at work kindof, my manager is out for the week. OY lol. I''ve been doing lots of walking this week to catch up on reading for class so that when I return on Monday I''ll be prepared for my project. You''d think Spring break would be a great time to catch up on working out harder, oh no. It''s WORSE if anything. SO MUCH Reading to do. I''m painting for my class project too which is very relaxing for me, thank goodness. I get a few minutes out of the day to unwind and let go... my own form of meditation if you will. I''m glad me mentioning water helps. I tend to fall onto the snack wagon too when I don''t keep hydrated and am trying to do better about that.
Quick update on my cancer buddy. They are doing the second surgery in Tampa at the end of the month, with a specialist. This particular doctor has a very high success rate and has done more of this surgery than the local specialist, so we are very positive. They also think he''ll be fine to have children naturally (yay for his gf!!! and him!).
Skippy - I miss you too buddy, surrree do wish things would calm down a bit. I''m trying to incorporate more push ups as well as they also work to perk your chest area
31.gif

Tacori - who cares if you can''t dance, do it anyway... have fun... let loose.... and enjoy
Somethingshiny - That is a funny story about the chicken, though I''m sure it wasn''t as funny at the time. Do you have a yoga mentor or how do you learn the poses? I''m working towards new poses with yoga today, and feel I need to strengthen my practice more
stephbolt - your post kindof inspired me in that it helped me to remember that I need to keep my healthy lifestyle as a forefront. It made me think that in the end, my job won''t matter as much as my health through life... thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Morning all. My nephew will be with me all day and till 9pm so I won't be able to check in tonight. I will go for a quick 40 min walk before he gets here and then the push up challenge (the link Lliang so kindly posted) while he is napping hehe.
3.gif
Tomorrow is my sports challenge workout, yay. I am making chicken lentil soup for dinner with lots of carrots, spinach, celery, tomatoes and a dash of cayenne. Have a great day friends!!!!
1.gif

TACORI, hope you sleep well tonight. Have a great day with Tessa.

MARA, wow, your sister is now 18? time fly's!!! Awww, have fun on Friday, sounds like a great time.

LLIANG, oh no, your poor dog and you,
15.gif
hope the doggie is feeling better. Oh that is great you do the 30 day Shred too! I need to do it probably on Saturday. It does get me sweaty and my heart rate up! hehe

MARCY, I am so sorry all those details are hard. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. take care.

KIMI, hope you are feeling better.

APPLE, hi there, have fun at your workout!

DRAGON, lol, to the perk! I hope so!! Sorry you are so busy. Glad you are meditating; that is a great reminder, I need to do more of that. Good to see you!!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori: you''re doing great with the exercise! again, unsolicited, but I know for me, I HAVE to get my eating in order before I see any movement on the scale...it is so hard to motivate to do that though...it took me literally 3 1/2 years before I could really get on the bandwagon since the last time I lost weight...pathetic, I know, but if there''s one thing I know, it''s that I have to be super committed to a goal before I move on it...and I know if you are committed, you won''t feel like you''re losing anything emotionally by eating well! It is really just SO hard to get into it though...I am hoping that once I get my calories really in order, now that I''m exercising regularly, you and I can both start to see a big change!

appletini: that''s great! I''m envious of the nice weather--I am SO ready for spring!!! I am on fitday and it definitely helps--though I can''t say that my problem is having too FEW calories, haha!

Kimberly: I used to eat a lot of junk too...up until a few weeks ago...not much fast food, per se, but a lot of food and very unbalanced...ooohhh, but cinnamon toast crunch? I could EASILY eat an entire box of that in one sitting. I guess I''m lucky I''ve never been obese--with the way that I''ve always eaten, I easily could be.

Skippy: I think I''m doin chicken tonight also...gotta come up with something interesting (and that''s hard for someone who never used to cook until about a month ago! haha)...that class sounds awesome!! As far as the Secret goes, I am doing my best! It definitely got me to thinking about respecting my body and loving myself...it''s not easy for me, but I am working on it!! I do have to stop weighing myself so frequently--it''s not helping! I will have to try the pushup challenge as I build more strength in my upper body--I am soooo weak now...
Enjoy your nephew today!

lliang: that is a really good idea about about trying new kinds of cooking at home--I will definitely start looking into it! We have been making a LOT of roasted vegetables which are my new favorite food, and I''m becoming a little crazed about using onions in like everything...haha! if it''s a veggie and it''s on whfoods.com, I feel like I have carte blanche to eat as much of it as I want!

marcy: I am thinking of you...I know this is a hard time, but it is so sweet that you still come on and give words of encouragement to the rest of us. you are a real gem (PS wordplay unintended)...as far as weighing myself, I just have to get a little less scale-happy because I can''t expect miracles overnight...I''m working on it...

dragonfly: I know what you mean about spring break--I used tohave the same problem! I am glad to hear about your friend, too....

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Major upheaval at work resulting in my becoming the new receptionist is happening, so not as much PS time for me! Doing okay with the food. DH and I went for a walk Mon, couldn''t last night (pouring rain) but will try to do so again! Probably a mile, maybe? 30 minutes, not running, but definitely moving at a good clip.

So. I''ve got 50 pounds to lose (Docs would love it if I would lose more, but I know myself - I maintained in the 170''s for years, it''s a doable weight for me. So, that''s what I''m shooting for).

I think I''ll take it 10 pounds at a time. So right now the goal is to get below 210. Trying not to get too depressed by that number.
14.gif

Tacori - girl, who cares if you can''t dance? Go, get your groove thing on and good for you!!!

SomethingShiny - sometimes decorating on a dime can be fun! And your blood sugar issue - is there a possibility that you could be hypoglycemic? I am, ever so slightly, and have to eat every 3 hours or fall over.

Lliang - how on earth do you cook a parsnip?

Marcy - ((HUGS)) I''m sorry to hear about grandma.
7.gif

Zoe - I love your quilt analogy, and I know what you mean. It''s like, wait a minute, I spent SO LONG making this thing, and it unravels so quickly!

Mara - I started eating that way, LOL (75% bad 25% good) and ended up 50lbs heavier.
11.gif
I tend to hate food that''s good for me though, which sucks. Meh.

Hi Rod and Stephbot and patiently waiting and alli and anyone else I missed!
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha dani... yeah that would happen regularly to most people i imagine!!

yes skippy, time does fly. i feel OLD when i type that she''s 18. she is a doll though.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:04:36 PM
Author: Mara
ha ha dani... yeah that would happen regularly to most people i imagine!!

yes skippy, time does fly. i feel OLD when i type that she''s 18. she is a doll though.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn''t sleep well...again! This time I took a sleeping pill and it might have helped me fall asleep faster (like 45 mins vs. 90) but it didn''t help me stay asleep. I took an hour nap and feel worse. My eyes are stinging. Today is my day off from the gym. I already took a mile walk with T this morning. I think we may go on another later. My neighbor/workout buddy and I are going to come up with three low fat/cal meals (each for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and do a meal plan type of thing. Hopefully that works. She has a WW book for we can look up the points. I am a member of sparkpeople but haven''t visited it in forever. I know my mom makes food they have on there all the time with great success.

Skippy, my knee has been feeling better. Think I may try WW. I know that has helped you so much. How much is it a month? Hope you have a great day with your nephew! Your sister is so lucky to have you.

lliang, I know you are my french fry friend! Do you ever get to Milwaukee? There is a place known for their fries and all their aioli and dips. I have to ask my mom what it is called for you. It is dangerously good.

Marcy, it has to be what I am eating. I have been a little lax since I started working out. I hate diets. Oh well, I hate being fat more.

kimberly, any advice is welcomed. Though DH did tell me today that my tummy looks smaller.
1.gif
Sparkpeople is great and I need to go back on there more.

apple, I can''t remember how many cals. I can eat...I want to say it is 1500. But I am working out more than when I started SP so I should try it again. I have heard you really need to eat enough cals (no crash diets) for it to work.

dragon, I am very good at laughing at myself. I was just in a bad mood on Monday. Great news about your friend!

alli, I hope so too! I know i would have never been able to do both at once (start a diet AND start working out). Tomorrow will begin my 7th week of working out so I feel like it is established enough to start working on my diet.

gecko, you can do it girl! I think you are right to take it 10lbs at a time. Otherwise it would be way too overwhelming.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Marcy, Good to hear from you.

Dragon, glad your friend is doing better. How''s "being the boss" at work? Glad you''re having fun with your class project

Skip, yes, the monster-dog is feeling better. I''ll probably hit the 30D shred sometime later this week when I loose motivation to go to yoga.

Alli, I
30.gif
grilled red onions :) They''re so great with skewers etc.

Gecko, you''d cook a parsnip like you''d cook a carrot. Another nice way to have parsnips are to boil them and mash them with potatoes. They''re sweet and have a nice earthy flavor. Great for roasting too. They look like white carrots

Tacori, I''ve been to Milwaukee once (I think). But James has some friends up in that area. Doncha just LOVE places that have kicking fries? Mmmm... :) Chili cheese fries are my weakness...

Going to hit yoga today since James has a school group meeting. Dinner probably leftovers (chicken pot pie or pulled pork). Need to go grocery shopping too....

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Marcy -- I''m so sorry to hear that gramdna is gone. My thoughts are with you and Marty.

Kim -- thanks for the good wishes. I hope you feel better soon!

PW -- it sounds like you''re doing really well with everything.

Lisa -- 50 push ups?! Good for you! Thanks for the suggestion about steel cut oats. I''ll give them a try. Our new laptop should arrive next week -- yay! We decided to go with a Sony Vaio, and we''re excited to get it.

Mara -- I hope your grandma is feelling well, and I hope you''re feeling better soon. I do remember reading posts of yours about weight and exercise, and I know how strict you were with yourself. I know a few people who just don''t care enough about food and/or eating -- they eat because they have to, but they never really crave anything. Man, I''d LOVE to be like that. I love food too much though, and I often crave things I "shouldn''t" eat. They say that once you kick a certain habit, like eating sugary foods, your cravings go away or at least lessen. That never happens to me. I have cravings all the time. I''m relearning to say no to things that I used to be better at staying away from a few months ago. It''s a struggle.

Apple -- have fun on vacation!

SS -- Fiber One Honey CLusters -- got it. I''ll put it on my grocery list. Thanks!

Alli -- no, you''re not the only one who can''t do a push up. In fact, I just tried and nope, it didn''t work.
9.gif
Thanks for the encouragement. I weigh myself a few times per week. I''ve gotten obsessive in the past, where I''d weigh myself daily for a few weeks because I wanted to see the numbers change. I still have my moments but I''ve gotten much better.

Thanks Tacori! I think starting a food journal could help. It''s interesting to see what you begin to focus on when you suddently have to write down everything you eat. It really does make you pay more attention more. What about going to see a registered dietician/nutritionist? They can help get you on the right track, and the appointments can be very motivating.

Hi Skippy!
35.gif
You know, I don''t really ever think about English muffins. I really like them though -- they just never jump out at me at the store or something. I like the idea of having one with a poached or scrambled egg. Yum! Maybe add a little salsa and I think I could add that to my list of breakfast items. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Dani -- I''m glad you liked my quilt analogy. That''s how I feel at times, but I take it one pound at a time and one meal at a time. I found that focusing on more than that was overwhelming. But that''s just me.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey........Yesterday was just a loooong day and by the time I got home from the gym, and had a bite to eat and did some work, it was just too late to check in.

Oh Marcy, I''m so sorry to see Grandma is gone. I know everyone says that when someone passes on, they are in a better place and I certainly hope for all our sakes that when we pass on, we do go to a better place, but right now, it''s the loss you, Marty and the family are experiencing and that''s not the best place to be. So just know that all our thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time. Many cyber hugs my dear friend..........

Mara, it''s nice to see you. I''m sorry you''ve been sick and not been able to work out. You posed an interesting question. I guess my first thought was, oh yes I would. There are times when I''d love to eat all the fat, high calorie, high sodium, artery clogging things I used to eat. Shoot, I''d even go by a pack of smokes......LOL Then I think about how high my cholesterol was and how I could barely walk up a flight of steps back then and I realize there''s no way I''d go back to the unhealthy way I used to live. I love the positve things exercise has done for my exterior. I mean, I have muscles where I never had them. My chest is pretty decent for an ''old'' guy. My biceps fill out a t-shirt for goodness sakes. But, what''s happened inside my body is even better. My cholesterol, which was in the 300 range is now in the 170 range and I know if I started eating the things I used to eat, I''d reverse that and I just wouldn''t/couldn''t do it. So, are you going to stick around a bit?? We miss you..........

Zoe, I think you asked about cereal, didn''t you? I eat a ceareal from Natures Path, called Organic Flax Plus Multibran Cereal. It''s not a sweet cereal, but it''s high in Omega-3. It''s pretty high in fiber (5 grams) and is low calorie with only 110 calories per serving (150 calories with low fat milk). And it''s really low in fat, especially the bad fats. It also has 4 grams of protein and no cholesterol.

Thanks for thinking of me at the chiropractor Skippy! My leg isn''t any worse and may even be a bit better. I''m going to continue working it out and if in a few weeks, it''s still bothering me, I''ll go see the chiropractor.

I know I''m missing so many of you, but there are just so many posts since I checked in Monday night. Tomorrow''s an ''uber'' Thursday and I''ll be going to the gym right after work, so it will be a quick check-in tomorrow night.........

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. We are hanging in there. Thank you for all your thoughts about us. We didn''t get home until late last night and then I tried on shirts and sweaters to go with the black jacket I picked up to wear to the funeral. We are working today and tomorrow. Sorry not to respond to all of you individually but will try to catch up soon.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone!
Well last night I got in a light sculpting/strength work out with some crunches, push ups, weighted balance moves, and weighted squats. This morning I got up and did Biggest Loser Cardio which I really needed. I bit the bullet and watched Twilight yesterday too lol. Oy. Dinn last night was chicken pot pie. This morning I had toast with peanut butter, yogurt and a small slice of cantaloupe. I tend to be eating big breakfasts to help me keep fuller throughout the day. I''m trying to keep up with my water too so I don''t snack as much. I. Have. Got. To . Start. Jogging. More. ....... Couch to 5k anyone?

Rod - glad to see you are keeping busy!
Skippy - I have to find that push up challenge????? When did lliang post it?
Gecko - probably a mile to a mile and a half. I do 30 mins at 3.5 mph and get in 1.5 miles.
Lliang - being boss is ok, but it''s slow this week so I''m kindof..... bored...shhhh I didn''t say that.
Marcy - keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
hi, gecko! I think it''s a great idea for you to set a 50 lb. goal for yourself, especially if that is a stage where you can maintain your weight
1.gif
10 lb. increments are TOTALLY doable, and we''re here for you!! Yay for youuuu!!!

Tacori: oh, no--not sleeping is the WORST. I am so sorry! I''m sure this is a silly suggestion, but have you ever tried melatonin? I went through about 4-5 weeks in December-January where I literally could NOT sleep more than 3-4 hours/night (and I am a 8-9 hour/night kinda gal), and I was literally going insane. I used melatonin for about 4 nights, and it got me right back on track...now I don''t know if that is common, but it can''t hurt, right? I also have a very bad reaction to any sleepin meds (even tylenol PM), where I am suuuuper groggy the next day, but I didn''t feel that way at all about melatonin...
anyway, it''s just something to think about...

7 weeks of working out is awesome! you should be very proud of yourself--it is so hard to get into the swing of things like that, but it sounds like you are well on your way!!

lliang: omg that sounds delish...yummmy onions...FI made teriyaki veggies (mushrooms, onions, zucchini & eggplant) the other night and they were insanely good...but so high in sodium I don''t know if it was worth it...

Zoe: oh thank goodness I''m not alone!! hehehe...maybe we can try together to build some upper body strength?

Rod: I really liked your response to Mara''s question...it sounds like healthy living has really improved your life
1.gif
that is so encouraging to hear!! also, I think I am going to try that cereal you recommended to Zoe...thanks!

dragonfly:you sound like you''re doing amazingly well in the exercise dept! good for you!!!

soooo...I''m having a mad-at-myself day. see, I worked until about 8:30 last night, so by the time I got home it was after 9...I was low on calories, and I felt fine and not that hungry, but my FI had also worked a long, late day and just wanted a burrito, so we ordered them...

and although I only ate about 1/3 (they are GIGANTIC), I still went wayyyyyy over on my calories for yesterday, and when I weighed myself this morning (I KNOW I HAVE TO STOPPPPP!), I am actually heavier than I was when I started working out 2 1/2 weeks ago. I mean, there''s nothing catastrophically bad in the burrito, and the lean chicken and beans and veggies are actually pretty good for ya...but it''s just so caloric with the rice and the tortilla...UGH.

I feel so STUPID because I wasn''t even that hungry, and it wasn''t like I was CRAVING a burrito--I would have been perfectly happy to make myself some eggs or egg white and I could have comfortably stayed within my calorie range for the day. But instead I just ordered whatever FI wanted, and I''m kicking myself big time for that today.

I have gone to the gym Tuesday, Wednesday and now Thursday this week--50 minutes of cardio each day, and I did upper body weights yesterday and lower body today...but I am still angry at myself and I can''t seem to move past it. I am going to try and reduce my calories today to make up for it, but ugh. Just a stupid choice that I shouldn''t have made.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results