shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 25th August till 31st August

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh Steph, you poor little thing. I have been thinking about you Rod and all of the other PSers, who live in Florida. I am so glad that the damage to your house was minimal and wasn''t worse.

I am so sorry that you ended up in the ER, but I am so glad you are feeling better now. I am sending you a big hug my friend.

Love, Linda

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had my PT session today, it was a good workout, lots of cardio, but it was tough. We had a townhall meeting this morning that interfered with my regular breakfast schedule so then if I did eat I would be too full during my workout and feel sick.

Anyway since this weeks topic is about our progress I''ll share mine. I''ve always been on the small side...size 2/4 and I don''t even own a scale...for my body type I just don''t believe in them b/c my pounds don''t fluctuate much, but my body fat does. After being married awhile, the belly pooch started taking on a life of its own. Even though I exercised regularly it was more maintaining what I had. When I saw pictures from last labor day weekend and saw how my belly looked through my clothes I knew I had to start stepping it up, but at the time wasn''t sure I wanted to spend the money on a personal trainer, plus bathing suit season was over. My new years resolution was to only drink wine/adult beverages Thurs, Fri, Sat unless it was a special occasion during the week, so that was an easy way to cut out some calories. In February (Valentine''s day to be exact), I had my first personal training session and it was tough. But I kept it up. In March I started walking, and then did a walk/jog routine and that combined with my PT sessions really helped to melt the fat away. My muscles became more tone...my arms and legs looked great, even the belly pooch was shrinking. Every two months I have my trainer take my measurements (inches and body fat calipers). Memorial weekend was the first time in a long that I was able to confidently walk around in a bikini, no shorts or coverup needed. Of course when I got super hot during the summer I had to stop my afternoon walks for awhile and I do think that allowed some of the belly to come back.

Everyone''s goals are different, and their body needs are different too. I have to recognize what works for me and stick with it. I will be doubling up on the PT sessions the next few weeks b/c I have two bathing suit trips left, but after that I can relax a bit, and just keep up with my walk/jog routine.

Looks like another hurricane is on the way...not sure where it will end up...watch out for Gustav.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 3:16:02 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 8/25/2008 11:16:46 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 8/25/2008 11:11:13 PM
Author: marcyc
Thanks Skippy. Anderson Cooper is a nice looking man but he is very small for a man. Here is our picture. He kept talking about his recent trip to South Africa where he went diving with a guy that studies sharks. The last day he went down there without a cage.
OMG, you lucky duck!!! You 2 look adorable
30.gif
He is such a HOTTIE! LOL
9.gif
I am so jealous. hehe
3.gif
I love this guy.. and his hair is fantastic. lol I''m glad he was a nice man.. Marcy you''re a cutie :)
I agree, you can read my mind!!! hehe
9.gif

Steph, sending you a huge hug.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph, I''m so sorry to hear all that you''ve been through over the past few weeks. I hope you''re feeling better and doing well.

Marcy -- Anderson Cooper huh? I really like him a lot. I''m jealous that you hung out with him for a while.

Question: What should I do to keep losing? It may seem like a dumb question, but I feel like I''m doing the right things. I''m actually really nervous because I won''t be able to focus quite as much energy on this as I had over the last 5 weeks. I''m not giving up or anything -- I just really want to succeed at this finally, and I''m worried that it won''t work.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoe,

I know how much you want to lose weight, but it takes time honey. I have lost a total of almost 30 and it took me a long time to do it. There would be periods of a few months, where I would lose absolutely nothing. I got so frustrated I almost gave up.

Just do what you are doing and the pounds will soon melt off of you. I am sure the others here will give you more advice then I can.

Hugs to you and keep up the good work that you are doing.

Love, Linda

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Mind if I join you?

I've got an interesting weight loss story, that I'll keep as brief as possible!

In college I gained not the freshman 14... but the freshman 40. So, in 2004, I joined Weight Watchers and dropped from 210 to 155. The 155 lasted for, oh, about a week, LOL. The weight crept back up to 170, I was happy there, and hung out at 170 until I got married in 2006. And then... I gained a little over 30 pounds, LOL.

I tried to go back to WW, but discovered that PCOS had made me insulin resistant. So, on my Dr's recommendation, I started South Beach last week. I weigh in tomorrow after my first week on Phase 1. I haven't cheated once! But dang I miss pasta!!!

Here's a cutesy pic of my and the hubby at the zoo, just for a reference point.
1.gif

Cross your fingers for me in the morning! I'll read and post more tomorrow. I finally, finally get to go home now.

Zoo!.JPG

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone. Well last night I did 30 min of a hip hop dance routine and 30 min of shimmy. I got up this morning and did Gilad and 100 sit ups and 50 push ups. Then I got a super huge work out running to the store for work pushing a giant cart around haha. Not sure if I''ll do more than some yoga tonight.

DeeJay - you are so sweet for saying that!!! There are many on here who serve as idols for me. Right now I take in between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. I''m not a HUGE eater as it is, small meals and usually 5 a day. I drink tea with breakfast, have a vitamin and a ginger tablet for overall health and digestion and at night I drink a small glass of grapefruit juice again for metabolism and digestion. I work out for at least a half hour every day, giving myself one day off a week Sometimes more if I don''t feel up to it. I also don''t deprive myself, but at the same time, I don''t NEED sweets or anything. If I feel like having one I will but it''s not an every day thing. And a good sweet tooth soother is a sugar free fudgesicle. mmmmm.

Zoe - maybe you need to switch up your routine?

kimberly - amazing girl!

steph - dusties to you hope you feel better

Apple - wishing you the best for the storm.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi friends, hubby has been riding his bike to work for exercise 14 miles round trip; I am so proud of him. hehe
9.gif

Tonight my cousin and I go walking but before I do hubby and I are going to REI to find him some comfy biking clothes. Nothing too exciting going on here except eating healthy and exercising!
35.gif
Have a great day all!

Hi Linda!!! Yay for 30 lbs, awesome!!!

Rod, where are you, I miss you sugar!!!

Apple, I hope you are safe from the storm. Thanks for your journey info, you are doing fab!!

Steph, sorry all those things happened, sending a hug and glad you are back!

SDL, great to see you on this thread, yay!!! Yay for walks!

Hi Zoe, can you post a list of what you eat in a day if you like? Can you eat more veggies? Are you more carbs? Not sure, but 1 lb a week sounds great!! Losing weight too quickly means it is more likely you will gain it back so you are doing great if it is 1 lb a week.

GECKODANI, you are beautiful!!! Yes, welcome! Awesome for losing so much weight, kudos!!! You can lose those few pesky lbs, glad you joined!

Dragonfly, yay for your workout!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda, SDL, and Dragonfly! I''m sorry for beating a dead horse, so to speak. I just need to keep pluggin'' away at it. There are really NO magic answers, are there? That''s okay -- I may switch things up a bit. I''m going to see my new trainer (a guy) on Saturday, and I''ll talk to him about my goals and see what he recommends. The trainer I had been working with is leaving the club, and she started giving her clients to the other trainers. Both of them are male -- I''ve never worked with a male trainer before.

Dragonfly -- would you mind posting a sample menu that you''d have in one day? I''m just curious to see how others plan their meals.

Tomorrow is the first day of school for the kids. We met as a district this morning, and then spent the rest of the day at our own schools. Our new principal is really nice, and as much as I miss our former principal, I think our new one will be good. I''m not ready for summer to end, but I''m getting excited to get to know my new class and have a routine again.

One of my friends just called and told me that her son is starting preschool this week. He''s not even three! My friend was saying that they went shopping for new clothes, shoes, a lunch box, and a backpack. This preschool program is only a few hours per week, so that''s good. I think that''s all the little ones could handle.
1.gif
It seems that "school aged" gets earlier and earlier every year.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Good afternoon everyone. Hope you''re all having a fantastic day. I worked a 1/2 day in a 1st grade classroom, then came home and did something I never do, I took a nap. Afterwards I worked out and now I''m rushing to check in before I shower and make dinner because I forgot it takes 2 hours to make the soup we''re having (avgolemono).

Zoe, the competition is getting so stiff in some ways for school 2 years 8 months is becoming the standard if a person is looking at private schools for their kids. It''s crazy...J is already talking about schooling for our unborn child/ren...I''m on birth control for goodness sake, I think we have some time before we need to worry about it, but he doesn''t feel the same. I know how frustrating it can be when we feel stuck, so I''ll just send good thoughts your way.

Apple, I so admire your stick-to-it-ness. You are quite the great little exerciser!

Marcy, great photo, and as always you''re my hero.

Lorelei, you and J and your teeth troubles. He''s got another dental appt. on Thurs., they''re working through his mouth one side at a time. Take care of yourself!

Steph, so glad you have sunshine...still sending happy thoughts your way.

Welcome, gecko, hope your 1st weigh in goes well!

Dragon, you''re so cute. Thanks for the compliment.

Skip, enjoy your walk.

Shower time!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 10:33:47 AM
Author: Lorelei
Cooee Miss J! I always look forward to your posties!!

I found if you do leg extensions that can do some serious toning on the old thighs, that might be worth a try.

Oh in toof news - I am still not done, I now have to have 2 fillings redone!
39.gif
still dentally challenged.....
32.gif
I''m so sorry about the fillings! I finally, FINALLY got all 9 of mine done. Yes, nine.... it takes Valium to get me in the door and gas to keep me in the chair I''m so afraid of the dentist thanks to a bad experience. Poor DH had to practically carry me in the first time. I feel your pain!!! Valium is wonderful...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, this is more a "strange day" post than necessarily a workout post (although there are workout related things in here.

I went to a new class at the gym that I was really excited about. BUT... the instructor had us doing things in ways that seemed odd to me. For instance she had us really arch our backs and stick our butts out for squats. And then there was THE KNEE THING. We did these lunges, but at the end you would "pivot" on your forward knee (I'm sure I'm not describing this very well). I watched her do a couple of them becuase being She Of The Bad Knee I try to be cautious before doing new stuff, and then I thought, well, OK, she IS an instructor so maybe I'm just being stupid, and I tried it. And I screamed. And the lady beside me did one. And she screamed too. And then two more people stopped suddenly. They may have also screamed but they were too far away and I couldn't hear them. Seriously, by the end more than half the class was standing there rubbing their kneecaps. We later learned she's filling in for someone who is out on materity leave. Not for long at this rate. Or maybe she's getting kickbacks from some knee guy over at Northwestern.

Basically, I left there having had a mediocre workout at best. Which leads to my dilemma. Having taken several classes now I'm not really sure (as a matter of fact, I'm pretty UNsure) that I'm getting a better workout doing that than just the "circuit" thing at my own gym. Granted I don't have an endless imagination so I will end up doing the same basic things over and over, but I could always gleen some new ideas from the internet or with a workout video. So I'm not too hip to the idea of paying $125/month (plus the reinstatement fee) at this point to keep going to the bigger gym.

(That is the end of the workout related portion of this post. Feel free to go do something else now! But if you are staying... )

Now on to the next thing. My client from Friday's closing called me and DEMANDED that I come up to her place. Let me say up front that there is a bit of a language barrier here, and I think I may misinterpret some things due to cultural differences (for instance, sometimes the client speaks very emphatically and I translate that into different emotions [e.g., she's mad; she's alarmed; etc.] and then it sometimes turns out not to be the case. But given the urgency with which she was demanding my presence I dropped everything and bolted (literally still in my sweaty workout clothes) up to the property... to be presented with the gift she and her husband had gotten for me to thank me for being their agent. Seriously, I really thought something was WRONG by the way she was talking. Like the place was burning down around her or something. Oh well, at least now I have a a porcelain stature of Chinese fortune fish to bring me prosperity in the years ahead. And I am VERY grateful for every gift that my clients are kind enough to buy me, including this one!

Finally, I went to get a mani/pedi this evening. After my mani I was led out of the normal nail room and back to a "special" new pedicure space where they had just gotten two new "thrones" and I was going to be honored by receiving one of the very first manicures in them. I should have bolted at that point. It went like this:

Sit down and put feet into near-boiling water.
Yank feet out.
Me: Um, that's a bit too hot.
Nail Tech: [Smiling brightly] I don't know how to adjust the temperature on these new chairs.
Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.
No further response from her.
Me: Well... there are two knobs there. Maybe you could turn on the one that the hot DIDN'T come out of and see what happens.
She does.
Me: OK, that's good.
She turns faucet off.
But water keeps somehow coming in to the tub from somewhere (not the faucet).
Me: Um, it seems to be still filling up.
Me: And it's going to run over soon.
And it DOES start to run over.
Me: OK, we need to do something about this.
NT: Well it should stop any second now.
And it DOES NOT stop.
Me: You should go and get someone.
NT: Oh I'm sure it will stop.
I start to get out of the chair.
Me: I am going to get someone.
No: Oh, no, just sit down over here in this other chair.
I thought she was then going to go and get someone.
No.
She turns on the water in the new chair and sits down in front of me as water continues to pour onto the floor and starts to lay out files and lotion, etc.
Me: What the f*ck?
I get out of the second chair (which is also now filling up) just as the manager walks by and realizes she's sloshing through water.
Manager: Wha...???
We both (the manger and I) drop to our knees and start looking at the equipment.
Me: There must be some sort of water shut off valve.
Manager: It was underneath on the old chairs.
We (the manager and I) pry the plastic bibb off the bottom of the chair to expose LIVE ELECTRICAL OUTLETS IN THE FLOOR.
Me (standing up and leaping out of the puddle of water faster than any human has ever moved before): SOMEONE NEEDS TO TRIP THE BREAKER TO THIS AREA RIGHT NOW!
Manager: Why?
Me: YOU NEED TO TURN THE F*CKING ELECTRICITY OFF *RIGHT NOW* BEFORE SOMEONE GETS ELECTRICUTED.
Manager: Oh... I hand't thought of that.
OK, so now that *I* had thought of it FOR HER, wouldn't that have been a good time to act?
Apparently not!
Building Engineer: Someone called the office and asked me to come down.
BE peers under the chair and sees what going on.
BE: HOLY SH!T!
BE runs for the electrical panel.
The salon is plunged into darkness.
The Nail Tech then leads me back into the main area of the salon.
NT: Well it looks like you're going to have to reschedule because I've got another client coming in in just a few minutes.
I stand gaping at NT.
NT: Oh, wait, I can just do a polish change!
NT puts me in a chair in the waiting area and starts swiping my polish off with acetone.
My manicure is ruined at this point BTW from clawing the bibbing off the bottom of the chair apparatus.
NT finishes slopping polish on my toes and directs me to the door.
NT: Let the girls at the front desk know to just charge you for a polish change rather than a full pedicure this time.
Manger [clenching teeth so hard I can hear her molars grinding]: No... We we won't be charging you for ANYTHING.
NT [in whiny voice with hand on hip]: Well I DID do a manicure and a polish change so I certainly deserve to be paid for that.
Manager and NT get into a bickering fit.
Dee takes her half soaked (but thankfully unelectricuted) self and leaves.
Dee will not be going back.

Dee apologies profusely for putting this all out there but I had to tell SOMEONE. Oh you lucky WWTers you!

I've been good on the food front though!

Please forgive me for not answering everyone personally. It's been a rather long day...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Dee, all I have to say is "Bwahahahahahahahahaha!"

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimi, I can''t belive you made it through all that! I didn''t realize I was publishing the next War and Peace until I posted it and I certainly wasn''t going to delete it once I had it all down.

Sheesh!
20.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
Well my day was pretty blasé after yesterday.
1.gif
Work is picking up as we are going in to our busy season. I will be losing 2 of my employees the beginning of October and sure hated to hear that. I knew they were both leaving but I thought one of them would be here through November. Oh well, I hate to see them go but they are both moving out of town.
Steph, sorry you’ve had a tough time lately. Sorry to hear you got so sick – that is very scary. Glad to hear you are back to your normal routine. Many big hugs to you.
Sharon, sorry to hear you have pants weather. It is pretty chilly tonight – I have on a sweatshirt.
Linda, congratulations for losing 30 pounds. That is awesome.
Appletini, you sound tiny. That is great you work out so hard to tone up your body. You are right we all have different goals and needs.
SanDiegoLady, thanks so much. Have fun on your walks.
Zoe, just be careful on what you eat and try to work out as much as you can. Don’t worry about how quickly you lose as long as you keep trying you’ll be fine. Good luck on your first day with the kids. I hope you like your new trainer.
Welcome Geckodani. Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow. You and your husband are adorable.
Dragonfly, you certainly burned off some calories with all of your workouts.
Skippy, glad to hear you and your cousin are going for a nice walk. Have fun at REI. Good for your hubby riding so much on his bike.
Kimi, yay for a nice nap today. Rats for hurrying to make soup for supper. Thanks for the lovely compliment.
DeeJay, ouch for hurting your knees. It sounds like that she doesn’t really know what she’s doing. I would probably go back to my old gym if I were you. Glad to hear your client just wanted to give you a gift instead of having a crisis you’d have to deal with for her. OMG at the manicure gone so wrong. I am glad you are okay.
Well, I must go grade papers. School started today. Tomorrow night my campus class starts.
Take care.
Marcy

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, Dee, you made my night. OMG, how can some people be so stupid, ha ha ha ha ha

Linda

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 8:56:45 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Kimi, I can''t belive you made it through all that! I didn''t realize I was publishing the next War and Peace until I posted it and I certainly wasn''t going to delete it once I had it all down.

Sheesh!
20.gif
Dee, I always read every bit of what you write, because you crack me up!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
All I have to say is thanks friends for the many good thoughts....you guys have truly made my day! I am looking forward to getting back to this thread on a daily basis to keep me back on track. Eating was pretty good today and I did get to go on a long walk which was really nice. Andrew starts school on Thursday and goes every Thurs. and Fri, so my plan is to workout hard while he's at school and also on the weekends when Adam is here to help and then do some walking on the other days. I am thinking about signing up for a 5k to get me motivated to run again.

Linda, thank you so much for the good thoughts friend!

Appletini, yea for a good workout!

SanDiegoLady, yea for a plan to walk. I love walking, it is so great for clearing the mind and getting great exercise. 3 miles is awesome!

Zoe, thanks for the good wishes!

Geckodani, great of you to join us. This is an awesome place for encouragement!

Dragonfly, you are doing awesome! Great job on all the sit ups and push ups...in fact, I think I will go do some while watching tv!

Skippy, thanks for the hug! That is great about hubby riding 14 miles...saves on gas too!

Kimi, you will have to elaborate on the soup...I love love love to make soup but have never heard of this...oh and thanks again for the good thoughts you sent!

DeeJay, oh man about the knee issue and then the pedicure....I would not go back to either!

Marcy, wow, the pic with Anderson Cooper is awesome and you are so skinny now girl! Thanks for the hugs!

Rod, Hi hope you and Charlie are doing well and you are not working yourself too hard with this new job!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm here Skippy! Thanks for worrying about me. It's just been a loooong start to the new week and I never got the chance to even read yesterday's posts until just now 10:45 PM. I can't possibly write everyone for the last two days, so my apologies. I'll try to get caught up tomorrow. I did have to comment on a few posts that caught my eye:

1. You lucky girl Marcy. That pic of you and Anderson Cooper is such a cute picture!

2. DeeJay, you SO CRACK ME UP. The mani/pedi write-up should be a chapter in a book. Too Too Funny!

3. Steph, I'm so sorry for all you've been through. The alergic reaction (I hope not from the sushi) must have been so frigtening. Thanks for asking about us. We're working our butts off these days and have so little time together, but we're OK. Charlie has both Saturday and Sunday off, so we get to have some time together this weekend.

4. Hey to the new members!

I did manage to get to the gym tonight at just a little past 6 PM and didn't leave until almost 9 PM and it was crowded and super warm, so I not only got a great workout in, I sweated buckets. LOL Charlie got to work out this afternoon, so he made his chicken meatloaf and I got to come home and have a real dinner instead of a Lean Cuisine (Yumm). We're not working out tomorrow night, so we may just meet at our favorite little diner for dinner after work.

YAYAYAYAYAY for all the weight lost by everyone, and for making such huge strides in becoming healthier and fit!

To answer Lorelei's and Skippy's question, my quest for a healthier life started on October 13 (funny how I remember the date so well) 2005. I weighed nearly 240 pounds, with over a 40" waist and could barely walk up a flight of steps without needing to rest. Over the first 6 months of starting a very intensive workout schedule and changing my diet completely, I lost a significant amount of weight. Today, I weigh anywhere (depending on water retention) from 172 - 175 pounds, so I guess I ultimately lost 68 pounds. My waist is now a 32/33 (depending on the cut of pants). I actually lost more than 68 pounds, as I was at one point down in the 160's, but continued my intense workout sessions and have gained muscle weight over the last nearly 3 years. My body fat went from over 34% to below 15%. And while my weight may have gone up a bit, my waist continued to shrink, while my arms and chest grew! Now, nearly 3 years after Rebuild Rod began, I can't imagine ever giving up my workout or healthy eating life.

Again, sorry I can't write everyone individually. I hope your week is off to a good start. I'll see you tomorrow evening.........

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG Dee! I was staring at the screen in a mixture of amusement and horror. What a day! Glad you came through it relatively unscathed!

Thanks for the warm welcom and compliments! They are all appreciated.

Down 2.5 this morning.
36.gif
I''ll take it!

May I just say that all of you inspire me with your workouts. Once I get off this godawful 4 day work week, I''ll have the time and energy to work out again!!!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 1:20:35 PM

Julianna, 90% diet and 10% exercise?!? Geez... maybe I should stop obsessing about spending an hour a day at the gym and just spend more time just NOT eating...
Hey Dee*Jay, that''s what they say. And frankly, speaking as someone who''s put in four or so years, up to five days a week, at the gym doing yoga, pilates, running, spinning, and endless climbs on yon stairmill and has not seen ONE SMIDGE of firming in the butt/thigh area, I can sadly attest to that. The only REAL way to back up that hypothesis would be for me to actually stick to some sort of healthy diet for more than, say, a week, and report back to you. And that is fairly unlikely.
41.gif
Also, you are hilarious. Love the mani/pedi story, even though I''m sure it was not the least bit amusing at the time. Also, Hostess cupcakes. I don''t allow them in my house for that very reason. My boss eats the orange-flavored ones every time he''s in the office. Sometimes two double-packs a day. He''s always offering me one and I''m always tying myself to my chair to avoid running in there and snarfing one. *sigh*

fieryred: Hey thanks for the comment. I''m quite sure you look lovely in your MOH dress. Egads re: the large butts comment. She sounds a tidge insecure, if you ask me. She seems to be projecting.

Zoe: 5 pounds in 5 weeks is fantastic! Don''t get down on yourself. Especially since you''ve got such a well-thought-out plan in place.

Charger: Hope you''re feeling better by now. Sheez, those colds always always without fail show up right before the most momentous of occassions. ALWAYS.

KimH: I hadn''t realized before now that you lost so much weight. Unbelievable, you people. Especially that you got down to a weight where you thought you were too skinny and then had the luxury to put some weight back on! And then to keep it there for a year. Your control is outstanding.

Hey Skipperino, hope you get to meet Anderson Cooper too someday, you silly. And woot for marcyc meeting him and making everyone else envious. Hee hee.
31.gif

Gracious, steph. One thing after another. Guess you folks are in for a stretch of good luck to balance out all the Fay/sushi injuries and problems.

Hey apple, the belly pooch is the bane of many women''s existences. It''s in such a hard place to target. Very impressed that you managed to shrink it, and I imagine you can do it again if you have to. Here''s hoping Gustav peters out in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

What up SDL and Rod.
35.gif

Slightly late welcome to gecko. WELCOME. Ahem.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2008 10:54:39 AM
Author: Julianna

Date: 8/25/2008 1:20:35 PM

Julianna, 90% diet and 10% exercise?!? Geez... maybe I should stop obsessing about spending an hour a day at the gym and just spend more time just NOT eating...
Hey Dee*Jay, that's what they say. And frankly, speaking as someone who's put in four or so years, up to five days a week, at the gym doing yoga, pilates, running, spinning, and endless climbs on yon stairmill and has not seen ONE SMIDGE of firming in the butt/thigh area, I can sadly attest to that. The only REAL way to back up that hypothesis would be for me to actually stick to some sort of healthy diet for more than, say, a week, and report back to you. And that is fairly unlikely.
41.gif
Also, you are hilarious. Love the mani/pedi story, even though I'm sure it was not the least bit amusing at the time. Also, Hostess cupcakes. I don't allow them in my house for that very reason. My boss eats the orange-flavored ones every time he's in the office. Sometimes two double-packs a day. He's always offering me one and I'm always tying myself to my chair to avoid running in there and snarfing one. *sigh*

Julianna, you're breakin' my heart here!
39.gif
HOWEVER... I do think I have to agree with you... I've been watching my cals for only a few days now (and NO CHEATING) and I've dropped below 150 for the first time in a LONG time.

I do have a SQUAT QUESTION for anyone who want to chime in. I find when I do them with my feet close together I feel it almost exclusively in my quads, but if I do them with my feet far (like even way more than shoulder width) apart I feel them in my butt. (And if I turn my toes out in that postion I feel them in my inner thighs, but that is a different thing.) So, am I missing something? Should I be feeling it in my butt with my feet close together? And the whole concept of trying not to let your knee go over you toe is, well, impossible to me. Do you people possess some sort of magic center of balance that I simply don't have? How can you do this?

appletini

Ideal_Rock
DJ, When you squat is the pressure on your heels or your toes? I have a tendency to go toes, but when I use heels I feel it more. I''d like to know about the whole knee over the ankle thing too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gecko!

Jules, I wish I had a metabolism like yours! Yep toof troubles continue, I am hoping after the repaired fillings I will no longer be dentally challenged....That will be what.....6 appointments in the last few weeks...

Dee, I was crying, you need to take up writing!!

Hi all!
35.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, sorry I took forever to post. So last night I didn't do much cuz I was tired, but this morning I started Jillian Michaels thirty day shred, and she whooped me!!!! WHOOPED! Lol. I'm going to do biggest loser cardio tonight.
Zoe - GL with your new training and in answer to your question here is my menu for the day today:
breakie : 1 egg scrambled with 1 slice Laughing Cow Light Swiss, 1 slice whole wheat toast, with a drizzle of pear honey, and tea
morning snack : pear
Drink all morning : water
Lunch : mixed green salad with blueberries, flax seed, and fetta cheese, rasp vinaigrette light dressing, and a to go sized soy milk bottle (silk makes individual serving bottles)
Drink all afternoon : water
Afternoon snack : Cascadian Farm chewy granola harvest berry bar (around 130 cals, made with steamed oats and whole grains with dried berreis)
Dinn: I THINK we're doing tortilla casserole which you can find the recipe for on the back of Taco Kits at Publix. It's basically meat, cheese, and a little sour cream, with the taco seasoning and tortillas made into a lasagna (think the tortillas as the pasta).
Drink evening : small glass grapefruit juice.

Edited to add: I tend to eat about 60% fruit and veggies, 20% whole grains 10% lean meats and proteins 10% dairy. This works quite well for me. Thought you can tweak it as needed (some can't have dairy). I don't eat white flours unless I have to, and I might have a soda two or three times a week at most. I eat lots of salmon, tuna, chicken, very few red meats, and I do eat game (venison) on occassion. I loooove peanut butter. All of my bread is whole wheat or whole grain and I only eat brown rice. I don't get along well with white flour.
I also eat as much organic as I can. I find farmer's markets tend to be relatively lower in price than our Grocery, so I frequent them often. And I love to try new things.
I also take a multi vitamin and a ginger tablet every morning and a water pill about twice a week to make sure I'm not holding extra water (my body tends to do so easily).

Dee ; OMG That is horrible, but kinda funny. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm glad the manager was in the right frame of mind about payment. I'd be asking for a different NT next time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2008 11:14:21 AM
Author: appletini
DJ, When you squat is the pressure on your heels or your toes? I have a tendency to go toes, but when I use heels I feel it more. I''d like to know about the whole knee over the ankle thing too.

I *try* to keep the pressure in my heels but I''m not sure I do a very good job of it because I''m so busy trying not to fall over...

What about the idea of putting a stabalizing hand on a bar or a wall -- is that cheating?

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 11:10:57 AM

Julianna, you're breakin' my heart here!
39.gif
HOWEVER... I do think I have to agree with you... I've been watching my cals for only a few days now (and NO CHEATING) and I've dropped below 150 for the first time in a LONG time.

I do have a SQUAT QUESTION for anyone who want to chime in. I find when I do them with my feet close together I feel it almost exclusively in my quads, but if I do them with my feet far (like even way more than shoulder width) apart I feel them in my butt. (And if I turn my toes out in that postion I feel them in my inner thighs, but that is a different thing.) So, am I missing something? Should I be feeling it in my butt with my feet close together? And the whole concept of trying not to let your knee go over you toe is, well, impossible to me. Do you people possess some sort of magic center of balance that I simply don't have? How can you do this?
Well crap, if you're doing squats three different ways and feeling it in three different places, maybe you're on to something. You can now do squats to target three different areas. Useful! Regarding not letting your knees go over your toes, I say: meh. I can't do that either. I've always been told to put your feet somewhat apart, stick your butt out some, keep your head up and go to it. I think putting your hand on the wall might mess up your form, regardless of whether or not it is the only thing keeping you from pitching forward on your face.
5.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
whoo Hoo, I had to pop in here to tell everyone, who knows Jas, she had her twins!!!! Skippy, I hope she will start posting again soon.

Linda
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I walked on the TM for 30 minutes today.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just back from the gym. I was going to do the elliptical but after walking over there I felt like the dreadmill was a safer bet since my knee is sore from yesterday''s Lunge!-Pivot!-Scream! workout. I did 65 mins and I even managed not to cop on out the last five minutes (last time I went from 4 to 3 for the last bit, but today I went from 4 to 5). I do have to confess that as much as I b!tched about the workout yesterday I am a little sore in my abs, so it was not a total loss.

Julianna, that is a good point about messing up your form with the wall. Oh well, I guess I will just do the best I can and hope no one is around on the occasions when I fall on my face...

Linda, I''m so glad you mentioned Jackie! Being the do-do that I am I posted in the preggo and mommy thread after I got her text but forgot to say it in here too. All those nail polish fumes yesterday must have gone to my head.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results