shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 17th Nov till 23rd Nov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

I was reading one of Rod's posts from last week's thread where he mentioned he was working out with a guy who is a bariatric surgeon ( who performs gastric band/ bypass procedures etc). Apparently this guy told Rod the sobering statistics - that only 3% of overweight patients are successful in keeping the weight they have lost off over a 5 year period...

This has really made me think and I definitely believe it is a worthy topic for this week's thread as we can all benefit from discussing our thoughts on why this might be the case - and what we can do to make sure all of us and those who are reading make up a large portion of the successful 3%!

As many of you know, I was struggling with a few excess pounds on and off all my life, because I had such an all or nothing mentality which was ' enabled' by the attitude at that time of many slimming clubs, diets, slimming magazines etc. I used to feel very deprived because I always had to be on a ' diet' which meant ' no fun/ yummy food/ hunger/ deprivation/ missing out/ feeling self pity i.e why was I chosen etc etc.' This way of thinking continued for years, I would ' diet' and be 'good' for as long as I could stand it, then I would eventually get so sick of it that I would rebel and eat everything in sight. Then along would come the thoughts of hopelessness and feeling worthless along with' well I have blown it whats the point, might as well eat the cake and everything else - I can't do this...'

So I struggled along, never feeling as good as I could, or feeling that I looked good - in fact those few extra pounds made my life a misery - but I didn't want to go back to the deprivation/ binge cycle as that was all I knew.

Until the penny finally dropped over 3 years ago that if I ate carefully and became more active, maybe I could change and still enjoy life in the process - and it worked!!!!!! I try to always eat as well as I can watching the calories and fats - but I try to fuel my body according to what it needs and what it can burn. I workout to try to keep my metabolism up and for other health benefits. And I enjoy the occasional icecream. This is what works for me and many others on the HLT.

I have found a plan I can live with FINALLY and in order to do so I had to have a major attitude overhaul as that was what was really keeping the extra pounds on. I have made a commitment to my plan and this way of life - indeed it will be MY way of life for the rest of my life. I no longer expect perfection but I do the best I can every day to make the best choices but I no longer feel despair if I do eat some cake - I enjoy it and move on as my plan allows me to have some of the foods I enjoy in moderation. I aim for balance and vigilance, if I overdo the eating for a couple of days then I know if I work out a little harder and eat a little less for a day or two, that will balance things out.

And above all I am grateful for what my plan has done for me, and the support of all you HLTers! I have confidence in my plan that I will be able to keep the extra pounds off now, I have the tools at my disposal. And I hope that others who may be struggling with weight issues can find their plan which will help them too! It is fairly simple - if you continually overdo the calories then weight gain is inevitable. If you aim to eat what your body can use as fuel according to your size and activity level then you will be able to keep the pounds off or continue to lose them. If you have some of the foods you particularly enjoy in moderation and work them into your overall calories then you needn't miss out. If you keep practising and working towards a healthier lifestyle even if you fall off the wagon at times, the results will come! Just pick yourself up if you do slip and get right back on track!

Have a great week
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, I'd just like to say once again you hit a home run with a wonderful opening and I feel like you are talking directly to me. I was just thinking about Rod's comment again this morning and I am determined to continue to beat the odds.

ETA: Now that i have my BF packed and rollers in my hair I wanted to add. I've been on many diets, that either worked or failed but as soon as I was done with them I went back to my old ways of overeating and not exercising. Now that I have changed my lifestyle - if i overeat I go back to my "old" ways of counting calories and working out.

Have a great day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 9:05:27 AM
Author: marcyc
Lorelei, I''d just like to say once again you hit a home run with a wonderful opening and I feel like you are talking directly to me. I was just thinking about Rod''s comment again this morning and I am determined to continue to beat the odds.

Have a great day!
Oh Marcy I am so glad I am able to help - I have NO DOUBT AT ALL that you will be in that 3% for sure!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 9:11:22 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/17/2008 9:05:27 AM
Author: marcyc
Lorelei, I''d just like to say once again you hit a home run with a wonderful opening and I feel like you are talking directly to me. I was just thinking about Rod''s comment again this morning and I am determined to continue to beat the odds.

Have a great day!
Oh Marcy I am so glad I am able to help - I have NO DOUBT AT ALL that you will be in that 3% for sure!!!
You always help me out and thank you for the vote of confidence my friend.
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 10:42:36 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Good morning my friends!! I have been away for what seems forever. I am THRILLED to announce I ONLY gained 1.5 pounds while I was away in South Carolina last week. I fully expected more. lol I had a great time and my ex was quite civil which made the time there even nicer for all. I am a proud Army Momma..
9.gif

I will be on a different schedule in the next two weeks (sadly) due to training and it will be touch and go on checking in.. I am looking forward to getting back into my normal routine at the end of the month.

I''ve not gone back and read anything but hope to... I just wanted to drop by and give everyone my best and huge hugs all around..
slider_grouphugg.gif
Hugs back to you and great job!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Good morning ladies. Lorelei once again you have given us a fantastic opener. That top 3 % is a dedicated three percent who made a change in their lifestyles. I just know that each and every one of us can be one of that top three percent, I"m positive it is possible. I had a rather busy weekend. I jogged Saturday for about an hour but then it started to rain, so I was forced to stop. Yesterday I didn''t get to work out because I had to help with a joint baby shower, but I did clean stalls in the morning which works my back (which I need). I too have noticed that I have made a complete change in lifestyle. I no longer crave unhealthy things, I look for things that are healthy and good. I also love love to work out, and feel so energized when I''m done. I definitely think that people fear that the lifestyle change will include them having to eat dull and bland foods, and that is something that many people balk at. So for our challenge this week, I''d like everyone to try three new HEALTHY recipes. Share the experience and the recipes with the group if you would, so we can all try each others! There are many great resources for recipes such as the food network, self magazine, cooking light, and many many recipe websites, All of the mentioned have websites as well. Find something that is different from what you normally try, that is healthy, and that will fall in with adding variety to your diet rainbow. I would also really like to see everyone posting their rainbows daily. Keeping a food journal is one sure fire way to make sure you are getting all the servings your body needs and it also really helps you to stick with it. This has been proven time and time again. I''ll post now with my morning rainbow and finish it off tonight. This morning mine is
white - yogurt
brown - granola bar, peanut butter (on the granola)
green - pear mid morning
and I''m going to go ahead and add red - cranberry juice now since I''ll be drinking it throughout the day..

So let''s see what recipes everyone can come up with. If anyone needs recipe ideas, feel free to ask, I have 1000 vegetarian recipes and some other great healthy cookbooks at home!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei-maintaining is something that I have been thinking a lot about this weekend.

According to my Wii Fit (the only scale I have) I have lost around 28lbs. I went shopping this weekend, and am down 2-3 pants sizes. I had no clue. I knew I had lost weight, but I went into the dressing room with a bunch of 8s and some optimistic 6s. But all the 6s were too big and I ended up in 4s.

This made me feel a lot better about last week, and hopeful that I will be able to maintain not only my weight but the better habits I have adopted. It is hard, people that I used to eat with a lot look at me funny if I say I don''t want to go somewhere/eat something that I would not have thought twice about in the past.

For the first time in my life I feel really comfortable in my body. I know I am not perfect, and I will never be, but I am happy where I am. I think this is where my body wants to be, weight wise. So now my focus is shifting to the maintenance part of this journey. It has taken me the better part of a year to get here, and I will be darned if I ruin it for some unhealthy food in a moment of weakness. I still allow myself treats, just not to the extent that I used to.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a lovely weekend!!!

Dragonfly-how is the no candy thing going for you?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - I swear you have a gift for saying the right thing.
5.gif

Alright all. I am officially a member of WW online. I''m paying. I have the tracker. I''m ready to rock and roll. I had a sobering moment when WW remembered me and popped up all of my food categories I had saved from the last time I did WW. *sigh* But I''m realizing that I have to have some way to be held accountable. And WW is it.

I have my iPod and my shoes with me. I''m going for a walk. And I had a long chat with Adam and I think he finally understands that I need his support to do this. He''s the one that handed me my shoes this morning.
1.gif

So - here we go. And I''m paying for it this time, so I better do it, LOL.

Dragonfly - mucking out stalls is a huge workout!

SDL - I''m glad you had a good trip!

Go Miscka!!!! Rock those size 4s!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning all;
emhot.gif
I got my gym workout in and I am already feeling sore from all the weights.
9.gif
Tomorrow my sister will be meeting at the gym for muscle hour so she has plans to workout with me this week. hehe I need to run to the grocery store and buy shrimp because I want to do shrimp and rice w/some veggies tonight.

I thought I would post this article on holiday weight gain. The article says the average person eats an extra 600 calories a day from Thanksgiving to New Years.
32.gif
I know we won't because we are this healthy lifestyle journey and during this time we will be here for each other but I am going to make my hubby and friends aware of this; also some of the things they recommend are eating spices, sitting while eating (being aware of eating), etc.
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/4782/prevent-holiday-weight-gain/

Have an aweome day all
1.gif
and keep up the healthy strides friends!!!

LORELEI, great opening!!
36.gif
Thank you. I agree losing weight is easier than maintaining. I always heard that people think once they hit there goal they can stop w/their healthy strides but you are right it has to continue.

ROD, that is eye opening that the doctor said that people who elect that surgery are so addicted to processed foods. I have come to believe eating too much white (refined) flour and sugar and high fructose corn syrup has something addictive in them. I hope that our school system starts working on serving healthy lunches to kids; it is such a shame because children learn about healthy habits so young and if that foundation isn't there then they suffer. Thanks for sharing that info!!!

MARCY, I know you will do it; it sounds like you made lots of healthy changes, not just some diet!!! Good for you and I read you hit your maintenance goal; that is a HUGE accomplishment!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am so proud of you friend, that is awesome!!

SDL, you did great, especially being in the South!!! Glad you have a wonderful trip and glad you are back!!
1.gif

DRAGONFLY, I love your rainbow idea. I had a slice of low fat cheddar cheese - orange, bowl of raspberry's- red, spinach salad today - green, shrimp - white I guess. hee hee Wooo hooo for your awesome healthy strides. I agree to use my healthy cookbooks!!

MISCKA, that is awesome you feel comfortable in your body and at maintenance
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
HUGE accomplishment friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eta: GECKO, I love etools; I track my food everyday and it is awesome!! It really keeps me in line for tracking what I eat and making sure I get my water, veggies/fruit, oils, vitamins and calcium in a day. Yay, that is awesome; good for you!!!!! Ah, that was sweet of your hubby! A buddy totally helps
9.gif
Kudos to you both!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Miscka - I have not had one TOUCH of candy! You? How are you doing? Are we including chocolate chip cookies as well? Just curious since holidays are coming up, gotta know where I''m limiting (still leaves oatmeal pumpkin and raisin LOL)CONGRATS on losing sizes!!! Sometimes inches mean more than weight you know
2.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gecko - Glad you are taking strides with WW

Skippy - I hope you have fun working out with your sister!!! Your rainbow sounds great!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Good Morning all

Lorelei, you''ve once again hit a homerun with your opener! I was thinking quite a bit over the weekend about the changes i''ve made in my lifestyle, and how i need to work to make them permanent ones. I''m on the right path and have seen success thus far, but there''s a little voice inside my head that keeps asking "what will you do when you stumble on that path?" It''s not an if, but a when, as that will certainly happen. All I can do is pick myself up and keep strolling down it!

I was supposed to begin another round of bootcamp today, but it''s been postponed due to the awful air quality from the fires in the area. So we''ll be starting on Saturday. I was bummed when i got the news yesterday, but made a promise to keep on trucking on my own this week.

I hit the gym this morning, and plan to get in at least 3 more workouts by Friday. I weighed myself today, and am pleased that i''ve lost weight during the 2 week bootcamp hiatus, which includes the Boston biz trip, and a overnight wine tasting trip this past weekend. I''m down another 1.5 lbs, for a grand total of 7.5 over the last 6 weeks.

Lorelei: I think i''ve found the plan that works for me, which includes motivation and support from the awesome HLTers!
Marcy: I too have no doubt that you''ll be in that successful 3%. you continue to inspire me!
SDL: Glad to have you back! No worries about that 1.5 lbs- it will be gone in no time!
Dragonfly: We''re in similar places, as i too have discovered a "love" for working out, and don''t really crave unhealthy things!
Miscka: YAHOO for the size 4''s! that must''ve been a great feeling in the dressing room.
Gekodani: Congrats on joining WW!
Skippy: THANKS for the eye-opening article. 600 calories? YIKES!

One more thing, Geko... I''ll take you up on the healthy recipe challenge! I like using http://www.myrecipes.com -- it''s from the CL folks.

I''ll come back and share my rainbow after lunch. It''s kinda bleh so far with just brekkie in my belly!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 1:18:39 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
Good Morning all

Lorelei, you''ve once again hit a homerun with your opener! I was thinking quite a bit over the weekend about the changes i''ve made in my lifestyle, and how i need to work to make them permanent ones. I''m on the right path and have seen success thus far, but there''s a little voice inside my head that keeps asking ''what will you do when you stumble on that path?'' It''s not an if, but a when, as that will certainly happen. All I can do is pick myself up and keep strolling down it!
Thanks CG!

And you are absolutely right, it is GUARANTEED that we will stumble on our various paths sometimes, they key is to not fear doing so but to accept it when it happens and carry right on. The danger lies in NOT carrying on working towards our healthy goals, not the stumble itself! Also stumbles can be useful as a learning process so they can have a positive effect if we use them in the right way.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday kids!

This morning the scale gave me 129.5, which is 28 lbs from where I was at the beginning of July. Woo hoo! Now only 20+/- more to go...
39.gif

Did 65 mins on the dreadmill and then two sets of arms. I was trying to coordinate the trainer for this evening but schedules don''t seem to be working out. Oh well, maybe later this week.

Lorelei, such a great opener--as always!

Marcy, I am 100% confident you will be a part of the 3%!

Michelle, good for you for doing so well while you visited your son!

Dragon, 1000 vegetarian recipes -- wow!

Miscka, size 4! You go girl!!!

Dani, LOL about Adam handing you your shoes this morning! That''s great!

Skippy, extra 600 cals/day?!?
23.gif

Charger, we all fall off the wagon every now and then, but the important thing is to get up and climb back on when that hapens!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great opening Lorelei!! Sorry I haven''t been posting much-have so many exams in the next few weeks. I went to the gym four times last week and D and I took Amber out for a nice long walk at the weekend. I''ll try and post a bit more tomorrow!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the great opener, Lorelei! Your advice about picking up where you left off after an unhealthy meal or two (paraphrasing, of course) is good to keep in mind. I know there have been plenty of times when I''ve beaten myself up over making choices that could have been better. It IS a process, and one that can''t be fixed overnight.

I hope everyone had a good Monday. It was a busy day at school with parent conferences, and the rest of the week will be the same. There has definitely been a full moon recently -- the kids are batty! I can''t wait for Thanksgiving break. It couldn''t come soon enough.

SDL -- welcome back! I read your other thread, and I''m glad that you had a good time (dare I say a pleasant time?) with your ex-husband. Congratulations to your son. You must be so proud.

Dragon -- so you really don''t crave unhealthy things?! I''m impressed. How did you do it? I have a major sweet tooth and I could live on carbs. I think I''ve had a pretty good handle on things for the most part, but I still have plenty of cravings.

Miscka -- congratulations on the weight loss!!!
36.gif

Gecko -- congrats on joining WW! I''ve known several people who have done well with it. I''m glad to hear that your husband is supportive of your efforts.

Skippy -- thanks for posting that article. I know I''m planning on taking Thanksgiving off and enjoy myself but I can''t imagine going over by 600 calories. Who knows -- maybe I''ve done it and not even known it. Holidays can be tough.

Dee Jay -- congrats on the weight loss!
36.gif
Good for you!

Bee -- good for you for going ot the gym 4 times last week! Good luck with your exams!

Okay, I''m off to make dinner. Bye!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Here's my diet rainbow so far for today...

creme/tan (ish)- oatmeal with apple sauce, string cheese, white kidney beans, chicken breast
red- apple
green- green tea, salad greens & broccoli
orange- shaved carrots in salad

We're having salmon, asparagus and frekeh for dinner- colors all covered above
Just need to eat blue and purple food and i'll be set!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 6:15:18 PM
Here''s my diet rainbow so far for today...

creme/tan (ish)- oatmeal with apple sauce, string cheese, white kidney beans, chicken breast
red- apple

We''re having salmon, asparagus and frekeh for dinner- colors all covered above
Just need to eat blue and purple food and i''ll be set!
OK, maybe I''m just not being creative enough, but outside of blueberries and blue popcicles (which I highly doubt are on your list!) what else is there?

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 6:51:15 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 11/17/2008 6:15:18 PM
Here's my diet rainbow so far for today...

red- apple

We're having salmon, asparagus and frekeh for dinner- colors all covered above
Just need to eat blue and purple food and i'll be set!
OK, maybe I'm just not being creative enough, but outside of blueberries and blue popcicles (which I highly doubt are on your list!) what else is there?
I was telling smart-a** DH about my diet rainbow and how it was lacking blue/purple, and he came up with:
-blue corn tortilla chips
-blue cheese
-blueberry pie
-purple peruvian potatoes

three out of the four aren't exactly healthy. so we're tossing out the frekeh and roasting some potatoes with rosemary and garlic. TJ's has a tri-color grab bag with red, yellow and purple taters. YUM!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I went for my walk/jog this evening when I got home from work...its first time I''ve gone after work since the time change. I''m not going to have an opportunity to work out during lunch week so I''m making myself go as soon as I get home several nights this week.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.........

Another long day at work, but a good one. Being in the placement business during these troubled economic times is a challenge, but I''m making good progress each day. It was our normal Monday night sushi night, which was really good. I was quite late though. I didn''t leave the office until about 6:30 and Charlie got to the restaurant to meet me at 6:00. So he had already had a nice glass of wine by the time I got there and he was in a relaxed mood.....LOL We stopped off at Sbucks on our way home, but it was too chilly to sit outside, wo we sat inside for a change. Tomorrow will my regular "uber" long Tuesday as I''ll go to the gym directly from work and won''t get home till well after 9:30 PM.

Lorelei, another fabulous weekly opener from our First Lady of the HLT!!! Like you, I used to diet (and some pretty weird ones too, like the all spinach or all hard boiled egg diets - yuckkkk) and like you when I went back to my old ways, I felt bad, depressed, and in so many ways a failure. So, for many years I just got fatter and I believed it was my "lot" in life. Well, as we all know, it wasn''t. Like Lorelei, I had to change my entire outlook on food and exercise and I have undergone a transformation I never thought possible. If I can do this, anyone can. Thanks againLorelei for getting us off on such a great note this week.

Mary, you will be in the 3%. I have absolutely no doubt about that. At work we have a saying that is perfect for us........"Failure Is Not An Option!!" Another one we use is......"In Defeat Become Defiant!"

Hee Michelle, I''m glad you had a good time, didn''t gain much and your ex was civil to boot! We''re glad to have you back!

I like the rainbow diet dragon. My first thought was blueberries and I eat some every single day!!

Woo Hoo for 28 pounds lost Miscka!!!!!

That''s great that Adam handed you your shoes this morning gecko. Having a supportive partner is such a great thing!!

Yay for getting your workout in early Skippy! Thanks for the link on the holiday weight gain. That was me long ago, but not anymore!!!

Good for you continuing to lose weight while not in bootcamp Charger!! I hope the fires are gone and you can resume bootcamp this weekend.

WOO HOO for being down 28 lbs since July DeeJay!! You keep up the dreadmill workouts and those additional pounds will just melt away!!

I''m glad you and D are still going to the gym regularly bee*!!

Hey Zoe, how are things going with hubby? I hope everythings OK.

Good for you doing your walk/run after getting home from work apple.

OK....enought from me. I hope everyone''s week is off to a good start. I''ll check in tomorrow night, but it will have to be a brief one..........

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A very sleepy check in...

Miska, how awesome! Congratulations.

Dee, I''ll bet you look even more fab than ever. I can''t picture you -40 lbs. You are so darling as is!

Lorelei, thanks for another great opener.

Rod, I''ll bet work is challenging right now. When people complain at work I think "I''m so thankful to have a job at this point!''

CHarger, how do you prepare your salmon, it''s a fish I''m totally afraid of. It just seems to fishy for me. (I have only ventured into the world of seafood in the past 7 months or so).

Apple, hooray for an after work walk/jog.

White: pasta
Yellow: banana
Orange: nothin''
Red: Tomato Sauce
Green: basil/lettuce/heirloom tomato
Blue: nothin''
Purple: lettuce

Work, workout, work/tutoring/kidsitting/whateveritisthatidoforthatfamilyiadore, dinner...it''s time for bed.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone...

I've been lurking and I wish I could say that I've been busy eating right and working out but sadly, I haven't. In all honesty, I've been struggling, BIG TIME, and feel like I'm falling into a mini-depression, based solely on my battle with the bulge. I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't seem to find the motivation even though I'm unhappy with the status quo. I'm sad everytime I have to get dressed in the morning because I'm living in my few "fat" clothes but whenever any meal time comes around, I haven't been able to make healthier choices. I know everyday is a new day to be better and I'm trying to get back on the wagon... I bought a crock pot over the weekend and planned a week's worth of dinners. Tonight, we had sauteed shrimp "tacos", lettuce wraps with shrimp, pico de gallo, and spicy jack yogurt cheese and some horseradish coleslaw.

Thank you, Lorelei, your your timely opener. It made me think about my history. I've been up 15 lbs, down 15 lbs and have had a hard time keeping it off after I take it off. It's awesome that you've been able to keep the weight off for the last three years!

Marcy, your achievement has been nothing short of amazing and your maintenance is really what I'm SO impressed by!

SDL, YAY for staying in check while you were away. I'm glad you had a great time in So. Carolina!

Dragonfly, I'll report back on the dinners I'm making this week and post any good recipes. I like your "rainbow" way of eating too.

Miscka, congrats on 28 lbs., size 4 pants AND feeling really comfy in your body!!!
36.gif

Geckodani, YAY for joining WW online, gaining support from your DH and for your walk!

Hi Skippy! I finally made it back over to this thread! YAY for your gym workout! Thanks for the timely article about holiday weight gain. That's definitely something to be aware of. The last two Thanksgivings, I went to the gym before dinner, it made a big difference! I hope to do that again this year... but in Hawaii!

ChargerGrrl, Congrats on 7.5 lbs. gone in 6 weeks!!!
36.gif

Dee*Jay, WOW, 28 lbs since July! That's awesome!!!

Hi Bee! I don't think our paths have crossed before. YAY for going to the gym four times last week! Good luck with your exams!

Zoe, LOL! My FI says his kids drive him batty sometimes too! I know he's also looking forward to our Thanksgiving break in Hawaii.

Apple, YAY for your evening walk/jog!

Hi Rod! You have sushi on Fri AND Mon. nights? My FI would love to hang out with you guys! I really admire the transformation you've undergone as well as the discipline you have.

Hi Kim! Oooh, nice rainbow list! Hope you get some rest tonight!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I continued to think about beating the odds today.I know I have come a long, long way and I have no intention of going back.
1.gif

Let’s see my rainbow today – red – strawberries and tomatoes, orange – oranges, carrots, green – cucumbers, white – bun cheerios, brown – hamburger, yellow – does mustard count on my junior hamburger?
SanDiegoLady, I am delighted to hear you had a nice time in SC.I am sure graduation was lovely.That’s great your ex was decent.Congratulations on being a proud army mom.
36.gif

Dragonfly, cleaning out the stalls sounds like a lot of work.Marty tried a new recipe tonight with pasta, garlic, parsley and fresh tomatoes – it smells good but I haven’t tasted it yet.
Miscka, congratulations on the tremendous weight loss and buying size 4 pants.
36.gif
I think maintenance is a almost more overwhelming than the beginning of the journey.You expressed my thoughts very well – of course about yourself and being on maintenance but I am right there with you.I also feel very comfortable with where I am right now and I am not going to ruin it by eating unhealthy food.
Gecko, good for you signing up online with WW again.That is awesome Adam is on board with your program.
Skippy, that is wonderful your sister will be joining you at the gym.Thanks for the great article about eating during the holidays.I will go read it next.Thanks for the congratulations.I certainly have made many healthy changes in my life and they are very much my routine now.
ChargerGirl, congratulations for being down another 1.5 pounds.
36.gif
I know you are anxious for the next round of boot camp.I hope the fires get put out soon and the air clears up.Thank you so much for the nice compliment.Yes, we all do stumble but we keep going towards our healthy goals.
DeeJay, congratulations on losing 28 pounds.
36.gif
I will be hitting the treadmill again tomorrow.Thank you so much for the vote of confidence.
Bee, good luck on your tests.

Zoe, I am pretty anxious for Thanksgiving vacation as well.I am giving my campus class the night off on Monday so I only have internet classes next week.I am taking off work as well on Wednesday and Friday so I’ll get a long weekend.
9.gif

Appletini, I am glad you got out for a walk/jog tonight.I parked 3 buildings away from class tonight and walked through the halls for a few extra steps.
Rod, sorry you had a long day.Thank you for believing I will be in that 3%.I like your 2 sayings and will keep them in mind – I believe I already use them both in my daily life.
Kimi, sleep well.
Panda, hugs to you girl.You continue to keep trying and that is what is important.We are here for you.Good idea to go to the gym before dinner on Thanksgiving.Thank you so much for the kind words about my success.It means a great deal to me.
Well, I am cold and sleepy so I’m off to bed. Take care and have a great Tuesday.

Marcy

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We wound up watching a really long movie last night,s o I didn''t get a chance to pop back in. We needed to cook the ground beef and chicken we had in the fridge, so we now have enough food to last us the rest of the week I think. I made a refried bean (vegetarian style), salsa, and chicken quesadilla without cheese for myself, and my husband made burgers. The burgers looked really good and I''ll probably have one for dinner tonight. I was amazed at how low in calories my dinner was last night, considering how big the quesadilla was. The only problem was that it was high in sodium. I need to learn how to make refried beans myself. I don''t have them too often but they''re really yummy.

I''m planning on going to thy gym today after school and I''ll let me trainer know that I need to take a break. I REALLY don''t want to do that, but it''s the right thing to do now, given our financial state. Man, I hope my hiusband can find a job soon! There doesn''t seem to be anything out there in our area for him, which is disappointing.

Charger -- what is frekeh? I''ve never heard of it before. I love salmon, and we try to have it a couple times a week.

I wish I could write more but I have to finish getting ready for work. I''ll be back later. Have a good day everyone!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! There was walking, there was tracking, there were too many points last night, but they''ve been tracked. Yay for etools! And WOW I''ve been eating a lot without even realizing it!
20.gif

Charger - Awesome that you lost - even with the wine tasting. Yay for wine.
9.gif

Go Dee!!! What an awesome loss!!!

Hmmm. I''ll have to work on my rainbow...

Red: Tomatoes in the meat muffins
Orange: Carrots. There was cheese this morning too, LOL.
Yellow: Corn Soup
Green: Green Beans
Blue/Purple: Hmmm. I''ll make a berry smoothie.
White: Potato with dinner

Thanks for all the support - you are all an inspiration!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome opener yesterday, Lorelei!!!

I am sooo not looking forward to the Thanksgiving Day pig-out. My dad''s side of the family (where we celebrate) are all really unhealthy eaters, my grandmother still uses lard to make dumplings with...blech. I need to contribute something but I have a feeling it won''t be touched since it will be healthy. When I call my aunt this afternoon to ask what she needs me to bring I am pretty sure she''s going to say "dinner rolls." Meaning: store bought white bread packaged heat-and-serve rolls. I will get through the day, we don''t eat "dinner" until around 3-4 p.m. so I will be sure to fill up on healthy food at home first. Ok, vent over.

Dragonfly, I meant to respond last week to your post and forgot. Thank you for the advice regarding how to fit in exercise when you don''t have time to work out. All of your tips were very helpful and I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Gecko, Skippy, Dragonfly, Charger, DeeJay, Zoe, Rod, Kimberly, Marcy, and Panda for the kind words. It really warmed my heart and made my day!

The last few days have been really good, I am finding it less and less difficult to stay in my desired calorie range.

So, since I love to talk about foods I find and love, have I mentioned the little Ben and Jerrys cups??? I know, its ice cream. Never going to be good for me. BUT they are 220 calories and SO good. They really satisfy my sweet tooth, more so than a sweet 100 calorie pack or similar. Sometimes I just need the real deal! Plus I can''t ever eat more than I intended, which is my ice cream downfall. If I feel a sugar craving approach, I plan around those calories in my day.

Gecko-how great to have support. That is so essential. I have found this as well, as I have close people in my life on both sides-those that support and those that enable. Good for you for walking! Is it cold where you are?

Skippy-600 calories?? If I am doing the math that is 6lbs straight up. Yikes!!! I need to stay out of the kitchen at work, that''s for sure! Last week I had some pumpkin pie crunch for breakfast one day-that stuff kills me. With coffee...so good. Hmm I need to work out a happy medium! Yay for being sore from a workout, that is a great feeling!

Dragonfly-Wellllll I have cheated a few times, I am ashamed to say. BUT I am back on track and committed to staying away from the candy! If we include choc chip cookies I am done for! Those are my fave. We can include oatmeal raisin since I don''t like those
12.gif
Just kidding, I am thinking about including something else as well since the candy thing won''t be as hard now that Halloween is way past.

Charger- 7.5lbs over 6 weeks is great! Sorry your bootcamp got postponed. I like your approach to slip-ups, I think it helps to acknowledge that they most likely will happen. That way when they do it is easier to be kind to yourself about it, not start a vicious cycle with being to hard on yourself. That always makes me want to eat more.

DeeJay- congrats on the weight loss! We are 28lb buddies!

hi Zoe
35.gif
! Dust to your husband, I hope he finds a job soon. I am sure letting go of the trainer was hard, but I know you can stay motivated in the meantime.

Rod, hope your busy Tuesday is going well. I had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the year at Starbucks the other day...yum. I never go anymore since mine closed, so it is fun to splurge once in awhile.

Kimberly-what is your avatar? Is that this years ornament and I missed it??

Panda-your dinner sounds really yummy. I am sorry you are having a hard time. It is so hard to think about the long term, when making better choices isn''t instantly rewarded. But it sounds like you are forging ahead, with the crock pot etc. Hugs!

Marcy-you are SO TOTALLY going to be that 3%. Your story is amazing, and there is no doubt in my mind! Maintenance is a funny thing. It is really intimidating, since you know what it felt like before and know that you don''t ever want to feel that way again. It is a really "real" feeling to understand what slipping up could bring. I am trying to stay positive about it though! We can do it! It is astonishing to realize how much weight/body image affects the rest of our lives. I am continually amazed.

Monarch- I hear you on Tgiving. I don''t like it, never have. I just don''t like those foods (and I am a veggie) but sometimes I get stuck eating just rolls and mashed potatoes. Yuck!! I confess it would be hard for me to stay away from the dumplins
32.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, Sorry I didn''t make it back with the rest of my rainbow yesterday, here''s the finishign touches
brown - beans bread crumbs, chicken
red - tomato sauce, beef, tomatoes
white - onions
green - broccoli, green beans, lettuce
orange - carrot
purple - purple cabbage
yellow - shredded cheese

Today including lunch and snacks
White - yogurt
brown - granola bar, peanut butter, chicken, bread crumbs
green - broccoli
red - apple
orange - orange and goldfish''

SO GUESS WHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTT?!?! I hit my goal weight

16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
I am officially 35.2 lbs lighter (having lost another 2 lbs) than I was in January. From here I want to finish toning through my abdominals, legs, thighs, butt, and arms, and keep training to run, but will be increasing my protein intake and also monitoring my diet to make sure I''m getting everything my body needs fully and completely. I don''t want to drop below 108 and I''m at 114.8 now so.
36.gif

zoe - I weaned myself from carbs by not having much of any my first few weeks of dieting and slowly adding whole grains back in. I still ALLOW myself to have treats now and then, but I don''t look at SO and say (OMG I sooooo want a chocolate bar right now). I look at him and say (wow a pear sounds great right now). My body is just adapting to wanting different things
Dee = there are very few natural blue foods
apple - you can always do indoor stuff at night too
Rod - I LOVE BLUEBERRIES
Marcy - how was the dinner? I''m going to try out a new one tonight I think
Monarch - I''m glad it was helpful!
Miscka - Oatmeal Raisin are my favs so we can''t cut those.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Morning all! Last night we had vegtable lentil soup and raspberry's and yogurt so that is green, orange, white, and red. We were going to have shrimp but hubby wasn't feeling too well so we had soup instead.
Tonight is Muscle hour at the gym.
9.gif
Yesterday was a gorgeous 68 degrees outside so I probably will go for a walk and then head to the gym and meet my sister. I am so sore from yesterday. hehe I will be meeting hubby for lunch. Have a great day all
35.gif

Oh and Miscka figured out the lbs gained w/600 extra calories a day from the article is 6 lbs over the holidays, just as an fyi. Thanks M!

MONARCH and MISCKA I am so glad to read your posts this morning, regarding w/Thanksgiving coming up and they soooo speak to me. My sister is a fab cook but she doesn't do anything low fat/low cal so I was hoping since she is trying to watch her weight she would make it a little less fattening, nope. I understand that is once a year and one day won't kill me, but I COMPLETELY understand how you feel; glad I am not alone. This may sound weird but I think I will bring my own baked sweet potato; they are plenty sweet to me w/out all that stuff people put in them. I think bringing a side dish you can eat is excellent. Can you make fresh bread Monnie?

DRAGONFLY, yay for not eating candy. LOL to the cookie question; I am guessing you two have a pinkie swear going on. heehe Yay for 32 lbs thinner, awesome
36.gif
36.gif

CHARGERGRL, Yay for your workout and being down a total of 7.5 lbs
36.gif
Purple is close to blue so purple cabbage, some lettuce, blueberry's, taro root (purplish) found in poi. hehe

DEEJAY, yay for being down to a skinny 129, awesome!! I know the extra 600 sounds nuts but pie crusts, cookies can add up so I am guessing those things are found a work maybe or lots of holiday parties? I hope I don't hit that eeek.

BEE, love your avatar!!

ZOE, one day off won't hurt so enjoy. hehe You are right the holidays are tough; I just posted that so others are aware. You will do great! Yay for your gym workouts!!!

APPLE, yay for the walk!

ROD, lol to the boiled egg diets. peewww. Glad you had some yummy sushi; I am still needing my fix! um, that was me last year; I thought it was the holidays so I would throw caution to the wind, not this year!!!! Thanks for your motto's they are very inspiring!!!

KIMI Your meals sound yummy!

PANDA, jealous of your Hawaii Thanksgiving. hehe Yum to shrimp tacos!!!! Ah, sugar, you can do it! Do you have a Trader Joe's; they have some nice prepackaged low cal items. I do think this time of year is tough for sure; I struggle to but sometimes I will read something here or hear something at my WW meeting that really helps. You can do it friend!!!

MARCY, you are doing awesome and you will beat the odds skinny minnie!

GECKO, yay for etools! You know the same thing happened to me when I wasn't tracking; I thought I was doing great and then realized how many things I wasn't counting. Good for you!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Morning all!!

Last week I was getting pretty down with the grey weather that we''d been having. Sorry I kind of fell off. But the sun came out yesterday and I felt a TON better.

I took the dog out for a short run yesterday. I was planning on a 5 mile run (to get ready for my 8K) but it started snowing so we cut it short to just under 2 miles. I''ll try again tonight or tomorrow. I did some yoga as a consolation. The dog has learned to leave me alone during my yoga time. She used to keep licking my face whenever I got down low enough. ( Thanks Shiny for pointing me to that Namaste Yoga program). I must''ve drank like 3.5L of water yesterday. I did eat a too big snack before dinner so that was my downfall.

Lunch yesterday was some leftover Chinese food from the weekend. Dinner was fresh made spaghetti & meat balls, one of James''s faves. That''s why I wanted to eat a little snack before dinner (so I wouldn''t eat too much pasta), but I got carried away. Must try to do better next time.

Dragon, congrats on reaching your goal weight. That''s awesome!
Panda, don''t beat yourself up! It''s easy (especially in the winter) to get lost in the blah-ness. But start a little

My diet rainbow so far:
brown: tea (with milk), beef
red: marinara sauce
green: veggies from stir fry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results