shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 14th Sept till 20th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

Sorry to be brief again but I have a household issue and am waiting for assistance - nothing serious, just a pain!

Everyone is doing great, I will catch up later!
35.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lorelie!!!! I hope your household issue gets fixed. It''s annoying but at least it''s fixable. :)

Hello everyone! I''ve missed you this past week, but I''ve been reasonably good. Had out bi-weekly training session and did yoga this weekend. Took the dog to a mushing (dog sleddng) clinic at a forest preserve in the suburbs, then ran around the lake with her. That''s about it for the weekend. I''m taking the dog for a run tonight after work too.

I''ll go back and read last week''s thread to say hi. Just popping in to say hello.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 2:04:15 AM
Author: vip0802
hey all! i'm new to the thread here and it's really great to be able to read everyone's accomplishments and daily ventures.
1.gif

so, it's been about a month since i started changing my eating habits for the better and so far, i've lost 10lbs. besides the better eating, i think a lot of that was due to my work. i'm an asst. manager at a sports bar and i'm constantly on the go and on my feet for about 9 hrs/day. the job also requires that i do some heavy lifting, cleaning, bar-tending, waitressing, etc...

i recently got a pedometer and based on it's readings this past week, i average about 9,000 steps/day and i'm always below my calorie limit. however i think i've reached a plateau and i'm not sure how to get around it. i've recently started doing some aerobic exercises on my days off, and i've read that i should 'zig-zag' my caloric intake every so often but, i'm curious as to what you ladies do when this happens.
VIP posted so I thought I would move it over here. CONGRATS on the 10 lbs Vip
36.gif
thanks for the congrats!

SS, thanks for the congrats on my new nephew, everyone is doing great!!!

LORELEi hi friend!!!

LISA, yay for eating healthy and all your workouts!!!

ROD, yay for a lazy Sunday and crab sounds WONDERFUL!!! aw, Rod, you always say the sweetest things. hehe thank you

DEGEE, yay for football and a walk. sounds like a nice Sunday. thank you for the congrats!

MARCY, yay for knitting, have a safe trip to your hubby.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei~ I hope everything goes ok!! And, thanks for always starting this thread even when you have more pressing issues.

Hi, lliang! Mushing sounds like fun!! Great job on keeping up your training and YAY for yoga!

Skip~ Glad that everyone is doing well. I hope you get to see that baby lots! Thanks for posting VIP''s post.

VIP~ Welcome! Sounds like you''ve made some really healthy changes and are getting workouts while at work! I don''t have any info for you about hitting a plateau, but there are very smart HLTers around here and I''m sure they can give you some ideas.

I just perused a bit of last weeks thread and it looks like you''re all doing well! (of course, I''m sorry if I inadvertently skipped over something) Yay for lazy, fall days!

Rod~ I just need to know something....What temp do you consider "chilly?" My family in TX thinks anything under 70* is chilly so I was just wondering about you Floridians.

Have a great day!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
lorelei - sorry about your issue, hope it resolves itself quickly!

lisa- that sounds so fun! I bet your poochie loved it! :D

SDL- sorry about the shift making wl hard, but I''m sure if you keep up your great work, things will happen!

skippy- yay for being done painting!!! I hope you get the WW job, even if you dont need it... I think you''d be a terrific coach! CONGRATS TO YOUR SISTER ON HER BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY BABY BOY!!!

shiny- yeah for the crane! yippeee!!! that is awesome... and I''m glad you''ve renewed your love for it!

Rod- the thunderstorm sounds beautiful. I love to listen to the rain, but I hate to get drenched when going out for the evening.. so I hope you weren''t too soggy! I hope you love your haircut. I guess practice makes perfect though! I tried cutting my hubbie''s hair once. I can trim up the neck and what not... but other than that, I''ve basically been banned from it.

marcy- well only a few more months of this intensive travel! Crazy. At least you did laundry and not any ccard damage!
28.gif
I love digital photo frames! It is fun seeing the changing images from fond past memories. An Alaskan cruise! I''ve always wanted to do one of those... I bet those pics were fab-o! Sorry to read about the lower temps bringing some aches and pains. Maybe some quality time w/ a heating blanket, and some hot tea will help. I have a twinge of arthritis in my knees, and whenever the barometric pressure drops, I get achey, and that is what I do to feel better.

deegee- I hope you had a nice dinner w/ your family! and had a nice walk. Wow you head home for Sunday dinner''s!?! Crazy. Sometimes it is nice not to have to travel a distance even if you don''t see the family. I watched football all day yesterady too, the Denver game and the Pack game were CRAZY!

vip- congrats on your 10# weight loss. Actually you should try to increase yoru calories by 200-300 a day for 2 weeks. (A banana and a yogurt - so not a lot of food)... and then see what happens. You may be eating too few calories and at a standstill... or just 2 weeks eating a few more calories, and then dropping back down again, can give your body a jolt to get back down... it just depends on how many/few calories you are eating... because if you''re eatting too few calories you may just be munching up muscle mass - and holding on to your fat. So you''ll see #;s lost on the scale, but the loss of muscle mass can lead to burning fewer calories. Just a thought.

Hello everyone and happy monday!
35.gif
Weekend was good and lazy. Opted not to do the 10k at the last minute, because I wanted to go for a longer run. (So much for using the recovery... but I''ve decided to go into THIS week as an active planned recovery week, so I make sure my nutrition AND my exercise are in line with each other.) I ended up running 10.5 miles and watching the Special Olympics Triathlon and cheering on the althetes. It was pretty cool and caught me by surprise... as I had to turn around a bit earlier than planned so I wouldn''t interfere with their course. My hubs ended up running into me, and was like - hey! and so we kissed, and some other guy came running by and was like talking with me... as we were running in the same direction. It was odd, as he was running my pace intentionally, and I''m like... slow down or speed up bub. But I was like - eh, if he wants a running buddy that is fine. So we chitchatted for about 1/2 a mile or so until he turned down another street. I guess I''m a pretty social runner.. or maybe he was just waiting to see if I''d pucker up for him too?!? haha... who knows. This weekend was interesting. My desire to eat was zapped. I mean, I ate, but man, NOTHING sounded good. It was like - eh, just pick the food out, and I''ll shovel it in. I hate it when I don''t have any cravings... and everything seems blah. My attitude is probably reflective to my energy expelled in training. I think I probably should have run the 10k this weekend... as racing gets my head in the game... and re-routes my focus. I''m looking at a half marathon in about 10 weeks or so... but we might have guests... so that one is up in the air. I''m sure I can do one in a few more weeks... but eh, I don''t know that I like the course. Aren''t I a silly goose? Well I watched football yesterday. my hubs told me not to watch anymore as I''m scewing his fantasy teams. he didn''t like it when I made comments, and everyone came true. Like when I said " I love it in the last few seconds of the game when someone goes for a long unpredicted game changing touch down... in the last 40 seconds of the Broncos game. We didn''t care about either team... but he didn''t like it when I said " it is alwasy so humiliating when a team gets shut out and doesn''t even score a field goal." then the rams get SHUT OUT... and that broke his little heart. Then he made me turn off the packers game in the last 2 minutes because he said I was a jinx... so I did, and it is probably the reason aaron rodgers threw that pass... football fans are soo superstitious.
9.gif

"What good are fans? You can''t eat applause for breakfast. You can''t sleep with it." Bob Dylan

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Happy Monday all! I had a busy busy weekend. I got in some yoga and a walk with my mom yesterday. We went to my friend''s Birthday dinner, finalized papers on our pup we adopted, got the rest of the things we needed to hang up hung, and I did some cooking. All in all it was a good weekend. I''m hoping to get in some exercise tonight after cooking dinner. We''re having tuna burgers. Hope everyone has a good Monday!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Howdy!
35.gif

Happy news Miss Skippy--congrats! Good for you Rod for graduating from PT! Shout out to TLH, Marcy, Lisa, SS, DF, and Lorelei! Sorry if I missed anyone--I don''t usually mention everyone in specific.

Leaves are turning and it made for a beautiful run/bike by the river. Brisk weather tho, kept me on my toes. Rode back against the wind and the resistence was great--my legs felt like noodles....

Take care everyone!

cheers--Sharon

tlh

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly - good news about the pup and your workouts! I took my poochie on a run with me. He is a little guy, can''t handle more than 4 miles walking or 2 miles running... but it is so hard to deny him his little pleaures! What a great motivator those brown dog eyes are!

Sharon - noodle legs... now that IS A RIDE! enjoy the cooler weather! Hope your swimming classes are still enjoyable!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I am at school and the students are doing a work sheet. Life is good on such evenings. Tee Hee.

I kind of messed up my calories tonight but only about 200 more calories. I wanted a sour dough grilled cheese - quick and tasty before school. I picked up the San Francisco sour dough bread and 49 grahams is 130 calories. I cut 2 pieces to be smaller for my sandwich and they weighed 66 gms. In my head I figured about 100 calories for it instead of 175. So then I cut off some slices of cheese. A friend just brought us some great cheddar cheese from Wisconsin so I thought ooh, I''m good so cut off about 1 1/2 ounces of cheese. I added a little butter and cooked the sandwich. I thought wow I am less than 400 calories so I had some baked lays too and a ww chocolate bar. I am STUFFED so I start doing the math on the bread again and I am like "D''oh!" Oh well, i won''t go to bed hungry tonight. Nice math there Marcy!

Work was okay today. My one employee quit on Friday and another one is leaving in 2 weeks so we are going to start interviewing soon. I don''t feel I am a good interviewer because I sure end up with some lulus.

Lorelei, good luck on your household problem. I love those kind of things.

Lisa, we missed you too. Glad to hear you and the dog got in some running.

Skippy, I started the vest I am working on a year ago March so it''s about time I finished it.

VIP, welcome to the thread. Congratulations on losing 10 pounds. I got a pedometer for Christmas and still haven''t taken the time to set it up for me and use it. I think Marty (my DH) is taking it with him to Hong Kong. He''s interested in seeing how far he walks over there.

Somethingshiny, I''m in Wyoming and under 70 is chilly to me too. Of course I am ALWAYS cold.

Tlh, I try not to buy things on cc and my teaching check this month will buy some very inexpensive pieces I need to complete a few sets and the rest is going in checking. Marty has to take out cash for Hong Kong so I want to make sure there is cash in the savings for him to use for food and taxis. I want to go on an Alaskan cruise sometime too. I told Marty it should wait until we win the lotto though. My mom brought me the magazine they have on the ship and it is full of very nice and expensive jewelry and watches. Sorry to hear you have arthritis too. Mine was brought on my my 4th case of 3 days measles in high school. I thought a had a bad case of zit but strange thing was none of my joints would bend and they were all inflamed. I went to the doctor and he told me it was merely the measles and that I would probably have gotten arthritis later in life but the measles just accelerated it. Only my knees and one of my thumb joints bother me all the times. Some other spots get achy with weather changes. I guess the measles is responsible for 3% of all arthritis cases. Congrats to you and your husband for running this weekend. That is exactly what I thought - the other guy wanted a kiss too. Too funny. I loved the end to the Broncos game but only because I am a fan.

Dragonfly, yay for walking with your mom this weekend. Enjoy your tuna burgers.

Sharon, yay for a great ride that worked out your legs. I think we are not too far behind you with fall. Ready or not; here it comes.

Hi Rod. I hope you had a pleasant day.

Well, we are going to go over their work sheet and then watch a video.

Take care.
Marcy

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys and gals :D

My first post in here; just some food for thought.

*good health is a lifestyle change, not just something we choose to do here and there*

I just got out of one of grad classes and there was a health education major who recently lost 60 pounds in the past 6 months!

We HAD to talk about it naturally. He stuck to a diet book called "Fat Smash Diet". The first/original book only. Thats 10 pounds per month, 2.5 pounds per week.

We discussed what the diet entailed and agreed that the theory seemed right on to help loose weight SAFELY! I wanted to mention that most recommend weight loss between 1-2 pounds per week. I suppose 2.5 didn''t hurt him lol, he was there in class and had excellent energy.

The book walks you through step by step on what you are entailed to eat each week. Starting with a "detox" of veggies and fruits, and then weekly adding more.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey and Happy Monday Everyone! This has to be short as it''s alreay almost 11. It was a really long work day. I met Charlie for Sushi for dinner, which was terrific as usual. Then, I came home and have been working on a project till just now. I still have my stretches to do. Tomorow''s a gym night, and I should be in shape to do at least a 2.5 hour workout for the first time since my leg pain, but now that it''s pretty much gone, the workout should be pretty much the way it was BP (before pain!).

I''ll check in tomorrow night, but it will likely be a short checkin too.

SS, I guess those of us who live in warm climates, don''t have very think skin. The reality is that temps below 70 here do feel colder. Perhaps it''s because there''s typically so much humidity here, since we''re surrounded by lot''s of water. To me the 50s in Florida is brrrrrr and if we get down into the 40''s, we break out the heaviest coats we own!!

Welcome tap. It will great to have you here. Now, I won''t be the lone man on the HLT (except when Jeff pops in occassionally). You''re advice on weight loss mirrors many of our personal experiences. I personally lost a lot of weight and went from a 42" waist to a 33" waist, and I lost about a 1lb per week for a loong time. And Marcy would likley echo this as well. We call her the amazing shrinking woman. Maybe she''ll post her amazing pics for you. Anyway, welcome again.

OK.......sorry I can''t say hey to you all. I hope you had a great (or at least a decent) Monday!

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
excellent! I really do love hearing about people being able to make that change for their health, and for themselves!

36.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!!!

Marcy, awesome you snuck in some PS time with giving the class a worksheet. I would be such a bad teacher and give students busy work all the time. Which is ironic because I used to *hate* doing it as a student. I''d make such a bad teacher... Hats off to everyone who is one. You guys are incredible. Your gum paste class sounds pretty cool. How very nice of you to give all the ladies'' rings a nice bath during class. That''s okay with messing up on the calories. Get back on the horse tomorrow. :) I hope your nephew''s

TLH, cute run you had today! James and I never run together but that might just inspire a family fun run together. Aw... I''m glad your hubby''s recovering well. I really hope he can do his race, but a mile+ swim is asking a lot on his shoulder. Tell him to pay attention to it. Aw, poochie loves to go on runs with you. You guys are such a healthy family.

Skip, CONGRATS to your family. Such a happy occasion!!!! Hope you got to see him this weekend. AWWW! Happy babies!!! Glad your painting is all done. I''m in the mood to paint my house, but want to wait until they fix the water damage from the windows and sliding doors.

VIP, welcome!! Huge congrats on the 10lb loss. That''s fantastic!!!

Shiny, sounds like you''ve been busy. Stay well friend :) How''s JT doing?

Sharon, leaves turning! I''m going to be sad when the leaves turn here. We''ve had such a wimpy summer, I don''t want fall and winter to come just yet. But I do agree, I love the autumn and the leaves. :)

Tap, hello & welcome!!! Awesome suggestion on the book. Sounds like it definitely worked for your coursemate.

Rod, WOO HOO!!! PT Graduate that''s awesome. I''m so happy your leg is better. AWESOME you''re back to your super Rod workouts :) Quick question, what do yo do for dinner on your super workout days? Does Charlie make them? Do you guys eat leftovers? I get back from my workouts so late, we sometimes eat around 10PM!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends, I went for a nice long walk tonight! It is so cool out in the evenings and I was treated to a lovely sunset too! It definitely is getting dark quick!! Oh gosh, I forgot to mention that I use to do muscle hour like 2x a week up until summer came so I went back Friday and we did so many push ups, squats and lunges. Oh my gosh I could hardly walk and my arms are so sore over the weekend. I need to make this a habit again; I made a weekly date to go with a friends so we are accountable but I think I will ease into that interval training class because I don''t want to be this sore again. Sore is good I know but this was a little too much. lol

HAPPY MONDAY Friends
35.gif

SS, yay for fall! Are the leaves changing where you are? thank you

TLH, you always say the sweetest things; people irl must adore you! YAY for a longer run; you are so awesome and even more awesome to go cheer those kiddos on in the Speacial Olympics. lol about puckering up; he probably was thinking that!!! hehe Yay for watching football.

DRAGON, awww, the puppy is precious!! yay for yoga and a walk

SHARON, thanks!! yay for biking and eek to noodle legs; I was that way too. lol It sounds gorgeous out where you are; nice!!!

MARCY, yum to grilled cheese. a treat every once in awhile is great!!! no worries.

TAP, hey so glad you joined us!!! I lost 35 lbs but it was over 1 1/2 yrs, talk about slow but I think I learned many good tools for my long term health. hehe I am a weight watcher and get 4-5 fruits and veggies in! Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

ROD, yay for sushi! wowweee, awesome Rod for going from a 42 to 33, that is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

LISA, thank you so much!!! oh no to water damage. How are you doing? How is your sis?

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good evening!

Hi Lorelei. I hope your household issue gets resolved!

Hi Lisa! My pooch tried to run with me tonight, but running isn''t my thing. We took a very fast walk instead.

Skippy - I hope you''ve been able to get lots of new baby time. I have 9 nieces & nephews, and I''m scared to death of new babies with their floppy heads!

Hello shiny, dragonfly and Sharon!

tlh - Matt is a life long Bengals fan. He''s so full of hope at the beginning of the season...it''s really kind of sad. At the end of the game yesterday I just got up and quietly left the room. He needed a moment. His Buckeyes lost on Saturday, so it was a bad weekend for him. This is Lily the pooch''s first football season with us, and it was hilarious watching her watch Matt with all the screaming at the tv and jumping around. The cats don''t even look up anymore!

marcy - I have faithfully logged every single thing I have eaten since April (since joining ww). One day we decided to go out to lunch, and I forgot to log one little part of my meal. After dinner I realized I had forgotten, which made me go over on points for the day (but not for the week). I got aggravated with myself because I plan those dang points each day and I messed up! That''s okay - in the long run it made no difference. My co-workers have nicknamed me "the point freak."

VIP - congrats on losing 10 pounds!

Rod - I live in WV, and I don''t have very thick skin at all. I think it got down to 55 last night, and I got so cold that I got up in the middle of the night and put on sweatpants, socks, and an extra blanket. Hubby says I''ve lost my insulation! I''ll be in Orlando in November. Will I freeze?

tap- hello! I joined weight watchers in April and have lost an average of 1.9 pounds per week. I''m thrilled with that! Hubby and I used to eat out every single meal, every single day. We''re eating in most of the time now, and I''m cooking a lot of healthy meals. I''m so looking forward to reaching my goal, and staying there!!!

I was doing so well tonight that I thought I''d be in bed by 10. I don''t know how I always get off track in the evenings! By the time you eat, clean up the dinner mess, and exercise it''s already time for bed. We walked a little earlier than usual tonight, and ran into lots of other people out walking. I looove to see that! Someone told me that I inspired them because they have noticed me shrinking over the past few months. I can''t even begin to say how good that made me feel!! All of the smaller pants I bought a couple weeks ago are now too big, so tonight I washed them on hot and threw them in the dryer for a few rounds. I refuse to buy anything else until I reach my goal, even if it means wearing jammies to work! Have a great day tomorrow everyone!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Tab. It’s nice to have you join our group and we definitely believe in slow and steady wins the race here.

Rod, how nice to hear you say the pain is pretty much gone and your workouts are back to normal. That is AWESOME my friend.

Lisa, I like nights where the students are doing all the work, I alter between work sheets and lectures. I know it gets old listening to someone just talk all the time. I have my meals all planned for tomorrow so I won’t have to do quick math on anything. LOL. I am sure a few extra calories won’t kill me. I would hate to eat at 10; I’d be starving by then but probably after you work out you aren’t that hungry anymore.

Well, I am off to bed. I actually slept enough last night that I could wear my contacts today so maybe I can wear them tomorrow as well.

Laters,
Marcy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! All sorted, it was a revolting blocked drain.....
emotion-41.gif

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
So deegee, i was reading your post.

I just wanted to re-affirm, as a reminder, that when you go out to eat, the usual serving is about two meals! I''m not saying going out to dinner is bad, but eat half, take home the rest for lunch! Nothing wrong with left overs. Also, what you might forget is when you go out, you might have a few glasses of alcohol... this is the death of people trying to lose weight.

Dry red wine is about 80-90 calories per glass

And any fortified wines are about 150-200 calories =X yikes!

Good luck this week in making healthy choices!

-Ted

tlh

Ideal_Rock
marcy- mmm your sandwich sounded delicious! And sometimes a higher calorie day, in the midst of low calorie days, can help your body know it isn''t starving, so it helps keep it in the calorie burning range. At least that is what they tell me. What a treat the Broncos game was for you! Sorry to read that you had measles! That is horrible! I don''t know what caused mine, the thought was excessive running when I was in my formative stages, but eh... I''m still truckin''.

TAP- thanks for the info. I know Rod gets overwhelmed by all this estrogen! wink!

ROD- You are a ROCKSTAR!!! Enjoy your workout, and I can''t wait to read all about it! 42"-33" look at you... do I hear Hot Chocolate, you sexy thing?
28.gif

Lisa- yeah,the best part though, is that we''ve usually killed a grand or more in calories, showered, and have had a full day... all before noon! So it really takes the stress off of the weekend, when you go out the door with such gusto! Try running with the (soon to be!!!) hubs, it can be a lot of fun... when you''re aren''t like goal focused. I get sidetracted and run soo much slower when he''s next to me cuz I like to chit chat! You are awesome... and your wedding is on the horizon... here comes Mrs. Sexy!!!

skippy- ooh your walk sounds divine! I love sunset walks (other than the stupid skeeters!) Your muscle hour workout sounds fanatical! I think I need to try it! I love that your friends are all involved, and help you stay on track. Though it is more like YOU keeping them on track, cuz you know... you ROCK! (yeah, I think people in real life think - wow... that chick is super amazing! wink! and if they don''t eh...well I''ll tell myself they do!)

deegee- oooh, I''m sorry. Yeah, only one of the dogs really is affected by our tension. He actually tries to hide and jump on us during scary movies or the World Series/Superbowl! haa! Poor lily! YAY SHRINKING YOU!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! How awesome is that, you are INSPIRATIONAL! That is freaking amazing!

lorelei - glad your drain is unclogged? sorted out!

Everyone, Happy Tuesday!
35.gif
I am in my recovery week.. so my mileage is reduced and my eats are modified a bit. I''m super excited because my hubs is doing well. We went for an "open water" swim yesterday. I DID NOT LIKE THIS. It wasn''t so bad because there wasn''t hoardes of people around, but the lake water was ICKY! But my hubs couldn''t go out there by his lonesome for safety reasons, so I was dragged along. I was a little miffed about the boats coming into the restricted areas.. but they did provide a nice choppy water which was good conditions for my hubs to practice in. The funniest part was I was trying to talk him out of the lake swim, and swim in the nice lap pool. So I started talking about undercurrent, and riptides.. and he''s like it''s not the ocean... and I''m like... well what about the creatures! and he''s like creatures? and I''m like - yeah.. like the creature from the lagoon. And he''s like well it is a lake, not a lagoon. Nasty water... bleh... so anywho (that was the backdrop) he''s swimming, and mind you it is a lake, and he swims directly into a thatch of high grass. and he''s all like... EWWW ick ick ick! and like freaks out like a girl. I am laughing at him, and I''m like Did the creature get you!?! and so that was our funny little swim in the brackish water. Just 2 more weeks til his tri- and I think he''s ready. He''s doing a splash and dash next week to prep him for it... and I may just go down to cheer him on. I don''t know if I want to pay the entry fee for it. He wants me to do it - but we''ll see... I like him having his moments to shine... and I make one heck of a sideline cheerleader. Eats were good. Made a chinese salad and had a popcycle for desert. Oh and the popcycles my husband buys he buys for me... and I like ''em so so... and last night he''s like I HATE THESE POPCYCLES THEY TASTE LIKE WATER... and I asked him why he continues to buy them if he doesn''t like them, and he''s like, well because you like them. And I had to laugh, cuz they aren''t my favorite either. I guess we need to work on our communication.

“The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” Oprah Winfrey

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Howdy everyone! Happy Tuesday!!! This morning I got in a 2 mile run. I meant to do more but ran slightly late getting to the gym. Boo on that. Tonight I''m either doing yoga or doing some sculpting moves, I haven''t fully decided. Last night I did crunches, squats, one leg squats, and reverse crunches. So we''ll see. It sounds like everyone is doing such a fantastic job too!!

Skippy - yay for your walk!!!

Rod - 200 calories doesnt sound so bad. I def ate two too many cookies today
15.gif
make me stop baking pls?

Ted - glad to have you aboard. I am currently getting started in school to major in nutrition and food sciences, so how fun to have a fitness person to add to it!!!!

Hope you all are having a great week!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
tlh~ wanting MORE than a 10K had me laughing. You''re such a nut! Some of our lake water is totally disgusting and it''s hard to enjoy a swim when you''re playing what''s-that-smell.

dragon~ I''d love to see pics of your pup!

Marcy~ I''m surprised that you find under 70* chilly considering how much snow you live with!! Sounds like your cheesy was delicious and probably worth the math mix-up.

tap~ Welcome!!

Rod~ I used to live in TX and I was MISERABLE most months of the year, I think some people just naturally handle the heat or cold better. I love the fall and winter. YAYAY for your leg pain being nearly gone! You deserve a happy workout finally!

lisa~ JT''s been doing well, thanks for asking. I was just counting up his bruises and abrasions today, and I was thinking how each one was an adventure. OH to be carefree! I didn''t know you were wanting to paint your house. Which rooms and what colors?

Skippy~ Glad you got to see a sunset. I was just realizing last night that I haven''t been able to see a sunset from my house in almost a year (when we bought the new house). I just don''t have an appropriate view in the evening so I can''t see it unless I''m elsewhere. The leaves are starting to change and fall! I just love the smell in the air and it makes me want to go for long walks.

deegee~ YAY for pants that are too big!

So, Dh has begun looking over an hour and a half away for employment at this point, and still no luck. I''m thinking I may be going back to work sooner than planned. We all went to the park today and did lots of playing. Our town is so small there usually aren''t many other people around. But, today there was a dad and his two kids. The kids saw us playing with JT and thought their dad should play but he was having no part of it. I felt bad for the kids but I also felt bad for the dad. Most adults don''t remember the joys of wind-in-your-face swinging or monkey bars. (not that I''m very good at the latter!) We''re (hopefully) going to go hiking tomorrow. My nephew may be going with us. JT is already excited. DH and I are designing some furniture that my mom wants and repurposing a buffet into an entertainment unit. That should help to tone up my arms!

That''s all for now. Have a great tomorrow!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!!

Quick check in before my training session. Sis and I have been SOOOO good this past week, we''ve worked out everyday since our last session. We''re going to try to ride the momentum while we have it and do something every day. We were SOOO bad the week prior so we promised our trainer we were going to hit the working out everyday and we did! Yay!!!!

Today is another training session. Tabatas. Should such while we''re doing it but be OK after.

Shiny & Skip, I want to paint both bedrooms, the master bath (it''s streaky) and the living room/kitchen/dining room (open floor plan). The water damage is from the windows & sliding door, the builders didn''t install the flashing properly. The building is supposed to get it fixed and our building insurance should cover the cost to fix the dry wall (yes the dry wall got damaged), so I''m waiting to paint until the dry wall is replaced. Dunno what colors yet. I want to get James''s input but he''ll most likely just shrug his shoulders. Boys!!! HMPH!!!

TLH, Splash and Dashes sound like so much fun. I loved your creatures tid bit. Sounds like something I''d moan about too. Those splash and dashes remind me of pop ups we used to do when I was swimming competitively. Sprint 25 yrds, then jump out and do push ups, then Sprint back down and do sit ups. UGH! Hated them.

Ted, great tidbit about eating out. I try to push half aside on my plate and try very very hard not to eat it. It works sometimes. :)

Lore, glad your drain is cleared. I hate plumbing problems. It''s so yucky and wet... I could never be a plumber..

Marcy, I AM starving when I get home. But I really try to be good and just eat some cold cuts to get the protein in and then dinner. I think I''m still over-eating though so I hate that part. I haven''t lost any more weight since we started all this training. Frustrating.

Deegee, SO awesome you''re such an inspiration. I''m just trying to fit back into my "skinny" clothes.... I''m sure pooch loved the fast walk too. :) I love exercising with the dog. It makes it so much more fun than doing it by myself. :)

Catch you guys later!

~Lisa

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......The day didn''t turn out the way I planned. I had a big project to finish at work before I left tonight, so I didn''t leave till after 7:00 PM. I couldn''t go to the gym, as once I got going, I wouldn''t have gotten home till well after 10 and I have a rough day coming up tomorrow. So, I just wound up coming home and having dinner with Charlie (a nice option). I was disappointed about missing my workout. I WILL go to the gym tomorrow night. PERIOD. Charlie fixed baked chicken and steamed brocolli and carrots.

Hi tap.......you''ll find an incredible group here on the HLT. I agree with you about restaurant food. When I started to workout and Rebuild Rod, we couldn''t continue eating at the types of places we used to eat in. Italian was out. Chinese was out. Fried foods. Pizza. Just about everything we used to eat in huge mounds was off limits. So, we started eating sushi and now I love and crave it. We have it at least twice a week. And it helped me lose weight and helps me keep the weight off.

Thanks Lisa! Since my workout days are planned on specific days, we usually plan a meal a day or two in advance that can be eaten cold after my workout. I like cold chicken, so tomorrow night when I get home from my workout, I''ll have a small salad (and for dressing I make Russian dressing out of vegannaise and catsup and btw, vegannaise has no cholesterol, has 1/3 the calories of mayo and tastes better to me) and a couple pieces of cold chicken. I am lucky that on most gym nights, Charlie can either cook something while I''m at the gym, or he can pick me up a salad after he get''s off work. Plus, we always have Lean Cuisines in the freezer. They''re surprisingly satisfying and low in calories. And like you, I often don''t get to eat until around 10 PM. BTW., it''s not true that eating late makes one fat. Everything I''ve read says that it''s simpe math. Burn more calories than you consume and you''ll lose weight. Of course it helps if the calories you consume are healthy ones!!
19.gif

Oh Skippy, please send some of that cooler air our way, OK??!! Yay for a beautiful sunset and an extra YAYAY for being so sore you could hardly walk!! Keep it up dear friend!

deegee, 55 degrees to us in Tampa, would be brrrrrrrrrrrr. I didn''t know lived in WV? I''m a graduate of WVU, in Morgantown (of course that was about a million years ago) and I know I couldn''t handle that kind of winter again, that''s for sure! November is a transition month down here. It can be cool one day and warm the next, but by November, you can expect the highs to be no hotter than the low 80s (maybe even 70s) during the day and in the 60s (or high 50s) at night. Isn''t it wonderful when people notice you''ve lost weight. I love running into people who haven''t seen me in a few years. Sometimes they don''t even recognize me at all. One of these days, I''ll have to post a pic of Rod before Rebuild Rod began. Keep up the great work!!

Oh thank you dear Marcy!! Yay for a great nights sleep. I didn''t sleep that well last night, which is another reason I will do the gym tomorrow night instead.

I''m so glad there was nothing worse than a blocked drain Lorelei. So you had Pants conditions inside the house eh?? We all hope everything is good with our "hostess with the mostest!!"

I laughes out load when I read your post tlh!!! I must admit it''s nice to have a little extra testerosterone, but I stand on record as saying Rod Loves all his girls on the HLT and is humbled to be a part of this healthy family! It''s great that your hubby''s doing well. Icky water? Oh my.......I''m sure he''ll do great in the tri!! I think it''s great he wants to do the tri too.

dragon, you don''t have to stop baking. You just have to eat less of what you bake......LOL Your friends will appreciate the extra goodies for sure. Wow, working out tonight on top of a 2 mile run this morning is awesome!!

SS, there''s heat, then there''s Texas heat. I''ve been in TX during the summer months and it was SO hot there. It''s hot in Tampa, but not that kind of heat. Because we''re coastal, we almost always have breezes, but it is humid. Actually, the temperature in Tampa, has never broken 100 in recorded history. We just have temps in the 90s for 5 straight months.......ugh......I''m sorry it''s been so difficult for hubby to find work. I don''t know what he does, but if you know Skippy''s email address or Lisa (lliang) or Lorelei or DeeJay, they know my email address and you could send me his resume. As you likely know, I am a headhunter and I could get his resume in our database to see if there''s anything we might have going on for him.

Lisa, maybe the reason you haven''t lost weight since you started training is you''re building muscle, while burning fat. Muscle weighs more than fat!!

OK......enough from me for the night. I AM going to the gym no matter what tomorrow night, so my check-in will be short.......Rod Out......

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
This is a reply to a common misconception that i read;

here is the true FACT: Only after 6 weeks of moderate/intense lifting, or any other type of stress on the muscles, does one start to build muscle.

So, when you start hitting the gym, for the first 6 weeks you will not build muscle mass. So people ask the questions, 1) How come I can see muscle strength gains, and 2) How come I see size increase?

Answers: 1) For the first 6 weeks of a resistance training program, you body recruits more muscle fibers to be used by increasing the number of nerves that stimulate the muscle. Example, say i havent worked out in 2 years. I go to the gym and do a bicep curl. I am only using about 40% of the muscle fibers that I have. (the muscle is not used to getting all this stimulus, thats why). SO the next time i go to the gym, my muscles say, we need more help, and the nerves "recruit" more muscle fibers, NOW im using 50% of my muscle fibers. So remember, it will take a commitment of 6 weeks before you start adding muscle. (This is done through a process where proteins pack the muscle.. for another day lol)

Answer numbero 2) During your workout, and about 2 hours afterwards your muscles are filled with blood and other fluids to increase the supply of oxygen and other nutrients. (we know that muscles are HOGS for blood.. in need of o2 and nutrients. This fluid is similar to the fluid when you sprain your ankle. To heal, blood and fluid fills around the area (it gets HUGE). This happens to muscles.. because you are breaking down the muscle fibers with micro-tears, fluid fills the muscle area, and people feel like their muscles are bloated or bigger. This can last up to a day or 2 at the most.

So a possible solution why someone is going to the gym and not losing weight: An hour a day at the gym lifting weights is equal to burning about 250-470 calories, depending on rest taken. You go home, had a great work out and reward yourself with a nice dunkin donuts coolatta. 410 calories. BAM see ya work out =/

The good news is, after 6 weeks of lifting, the muscle you gain will increase your metabolism, and the calories you burn while resting and doing every day activities will increase more than the works you do!

Good tip to remember for first time starters trying to lose weight: Lift weights, stay with it! but also add cardio to burn calories. Lift 3-4 days a week, cardio 3 days a week+ More importantly: HEALTHY CHOICES- dam that coolatta! lol

-Ted

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. We rushed home from work today and I made some of the cheese raviolis you buy in the deli for supper. They are quick so I got them cooked, made each of us a piece of garlic bread, did the dishes and made it to cake class only a few minutes late.

I got my order from Land’s Ends today but will wait until the official first day of fall before I start to wear my fall clothes.

I am getting stressed with work. Another one of my employees turned in an internal transfer request. That would put me at ½ staff going in to our busiest season. Ugh! She was moved against her will from another department back to mine a few months ago so I completely understand her wanting to make a fresh start. She’s been a great addition to the team but if she gets the other job I would be happy for her.

Lorelei, glad to hear all is well now.

Ted, that is exactly what I do when we eat out – only eat half.

Tlh, that is all we can do is keep on truckin! Your story on the creature in the lake made me laugh. You guys sound like me and Marty. The popsicle story sounds like us too. I like the idea of you cheering him on; but I am sure he won’t mind you joining in on the fun too.

Dragonfly, yay for starting the day out with a run.

Somethingshiny, I take aspirin for arthritis so that is probably why I am cold all the time. I think I was so excited to have real bread for my sandwich instead of the 45 calorie bread that it might have been wishful thinking. Sorry to hear job prospects for your town continue to be elusive. I would hate to hear your husband has to drive 90 minutes to go to work. Good luck to him in his continued search.

Lisa, rats for not losing more weight since you started this training session. I ran in to times when I wasn’t losing weight for weeks but I was usually losing inches then. Hang in there lady.

Rod, sorry you missed going to the gym tonight. Good luck with your rough day tomorrow. Sorry to hear you didn’t sleep well last night; neither did I. I hope to do better tonight though.

Take care.
Marcy

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 11:10:07 PM
Author: tap02150
This is a reply to a common misconception that i read;

here is the true FACT: Only after 6 weeks of moderate/intense lifting, or any other type of stress on the muscles, does one start to build muscle.

So, when you start hitting the gym, for the first 6 weeks you will not build muscle mass. So people ask the questions, 1) How come I can see muscle strength gains, and 2) How come I see size increase?

Answers: 1) For the first 6 weeks of a resistance training program, you body recruits more muscle fibers to be used by increasing the number of nerves that stimulate the muscle. Example, say i havent worked out in 2 years. I go to the gym and do a bicep curl. I am only using about 40% of the muscle fibers that I have. (the muscle is not used to getting all this stimulus, thats why). SO the next time i go to the gym, my muscles say, we need more help, and the nerves ''recruit'' more muscle fibers, NOW im using 50% of my muscle fibers. So remember, it will take a commitment of 6 weeks before you start adding muscle. (This is done through a process where proteins pack the muscle.. for another day lol)

Answer numbero 2) During your workout, and about 2 hours afterwards your muscles are filled with blood and other fluids to increase the supply of oxygen and other nutrients. (we know that muscles are HOGS for blood.. in need of o2 and nutrients. This fluid is similar to the fluid when you sprain your ankle. To heal, blood and fluid fills around the area (it gets HUGE). This happens to muscles.. because you are breaking down the muscle fibers with micro-tears, fluid fills the muscle area, and people feel like their muscles are bloated or bigger. This can last up to a day or 2 at the most.

So a possible solution why someone is going to the gym and not losing weight: An hour a day at the gym lifting weights is equal to burning about 250-470 calories, depending on rest taken. You go home, had a great work out and reward yourself with a nice dunkin donuts coolatta. 410 calories. BAM see ya work out =/

The good news is, after 6 weeks of lifting, the muscle you gain will increase your metabolism, and the calories you burn while resting and doing every day activities will increase more than the works you do!

Good tip to remember for first time starters trying to lose weight: Lift weights, stay with it! but also add cardio to burn calories. Lift 3-4 days a week, cardio 3 days a week+ More importantly: HEALTHY CHOICES- dam that coolatta! lol

-Ted

Is this an appropriate thread for information such as this? or do you guys want me to post this stuff somewhere else?

-ted

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Good Wednesday all!

First and foremost so you see it right away TED!! I REALLY appreciate you posting this here, it is helpful and interesting and I''m sure others agree!!!

I didn''t get a ton in last night, just some crunches and squats again mainly b/c I had a REALLY HARD homework assignment to finish. I''m upping my studying some this week as we have a test next week. Tonight I''m doing yoga and probably some weight work. I did perfect my pasta recipe and also added baby shrimps to it which made it REALLY GOOD! My dad had dinner with us and really liked it, and I sent him home with the extra loaf of banana bread
2.gif
. For those who wanted to see Scout his pics are in the Hangout thread, I''m having trouble attaching at the moment.

Lliang - Awesome for you working out every day. Now THAT is an inspiration!!!! Just make sure you are getting rest too!
Rob - You''ll catch up, don''t take it so hard, remember you''re still building back up too so it might be good on the muscles to have that day of rest
Ted - again, you are providing some really awesome info, and it''s really beneficial for me for sure, not sure about others, if they didn''t want you here I''d tell you to make me a thread haha! I''d love to hear more about your schooling too and what you do day to day on top of the info if you have time
35.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
lisa~ Sounds like you have a lot of painting ahead of you! I love picking out colors especially when repainting most or all of the house. I'm glad that the insurance is going to cover the structural costs. Keep up with your great workouts, you'll see the changes soon!

rod~ I hadn't realized "Texas heat" was a whole different heat! Still months of 90* would just about kill me! I am built weather resistant, I wouldn't last a week in Tampa! Thanks for the offer for DH, but I don't have anybody's email. I joined after PM left PS. DH is/was a machinist for Caterpillar. I don't understand what's exactly going on with it. He is laid off "permanently" but he's still a member of the union (they still want their dues) and he's still listed as a Cat employee. He can't do anything with his retirement account because he's listed as "active." But, like I said, the entire Cat lay-off is permanent. Your dinner with Charlie sounds great! Hope you get in a nice workout tonight!

marcy~ I love those cheesy ravs! I'm sorry that your staff is changing so drastically, it must be frustrating. LOL to real bread. Actually, since I switched to a low calorie whole wheat bread, I am not a big fan of white bread now. But, a nice ciabatta, tx toast, all those really great breads are too much temptation!

Ted~ As you can see from some of the randomness here, this thread is appropriate for anything you want to share. I wasn't aware of the info you posted, so I think others are probably learning too. And, remember, there are a lot of lurkers that follow this thread, so even if you have info that doesn't pertain to a posting individual, odds are that you're still helping someone who isn't actively posting. One thing that I would find beneficial, if it's not too much work for you, is if you could link or reference where some of your facts come from. I like to be able to read an entire article or excerpt of what I find interesting like proteins packing the muscle.

We may be hiking for a short while today, we've had to put off the longer hike until Saturday but the in-laws want to go so that should be fun. I've been holding off on making apple crisp but my defenses are weakening. I'll have a salad for lunch and probably some form of chicken this evening. (gosh, that sounds like I'm eating mutant chicken or something!)

That's all for now!

Have a great day!

eta~ Hey, dragon!! Yay for perfect pasta and yoga!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly- great job on your workouts! and your 2 miler!

shiny- THAT IS IT ON THE NOSE, the water was BLEH! I''m sorry to read that your hubs is having a hard time. ***awesome job dust!*** Just thought I''d sprinkle a little dust your way, and I''ll keep your family in my prayers. I''m glad that you are able to play and let go! Dance like no one''s watchin'' is my motto!

Lisa- YIPPEE to daily workouts! Yeah, the splash and dash is tough, because they have like bleacher/steps into the water... and there is not a natural grade- so it is hard to find the footing. You doing any swimming workouts in the middle of your trainer/ training? You could get a killer one in w/ your background, and spare your joints from working out daily... just a thought. You and your sis are gonna be mega hot on your wedding day!

Rod- your dinner sounded delicious. I''m glad you were able to have a nice meal w/ Charlie. Darn about missing the gym, but eh, having a flexible schedule lets you enjoy the time with your loved ones in the middle of work stress (BLEH!). I hope your day isn''t too insane at work today - or stressful - and that your workout tonight goes swimmingly well! You gonna take a crack at the ellyptical tonght? UPDATES!

TAP- thanks for the info! It was fun to read!
9.gif
I like having it in the middle of the HLT. Keep on posting!

Marcy- sorry about the work stress, being at half staff is really no fun at all. I just think you are an incredibly upbeat woman, and find it wonderful that you are happy at losing a person at work for her happiness. - I love that you got your new fall clothes in! EXCITING! Your dinner sounds YUMMY TOO!
18.gif
If me and my hubs sound like you and marty, then you guys must be AWESOME!!!

Happy HUMP DAY! (Doin my middle of the week dance!) All is good here. Went on a slow paced run this morning. It is funny how just a small change in pace can really make you focus on your footing. Which is good because the 1/4 moon this morning made things really dark out. What was funny was that on my run I ran into one of the managers in my building. She was running with her dogs, and I was like - I know you! It was funny. I was glad I looked cute, even though my face and hair was a hot mess. Sometimes I dont even wear matching clothes on my morning weekday runs... so I was glad to be color co-ordinated this AM. I will also be a little vain, I like running in the dark, because I can''t see my thighs jiggle as much, and wow they look slender in the moonlight! HAHA! My eats were good last night. We had a nice meal of bell peppers and steak. It was really funny, because I was eatting dinner - and was like OMG it is soo much HOTTER than usual (from the chili paste) - then I realized, I forgot to make the brown rice ... and the Sriracha on the peppers was like FIRE. YUM hotness! Tonight I''m making an eye of round roast w/ some grilled veggies... so I''m excited about that...

"Running is a mental sport...and we''re all insane!" -Anonymous

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends, I went for a super quick walk last night, only 1 mile but I will be going for a longer walk tonight. It is only 75 degrees here today!
emhot.gif

I called my sister today to ask about her new baby and my nephew called me back (I couldn't get to the phone in time). My nephew cracks me up; he left a long ole message. I am not quite sure what he was saying but he did have a whole lot to say. lol
9.gif
I ended up saving the msg because it made me laugh! Kids are too funny!

My hubby found out he has high cholesterol, so I need to really make sure to make super healthy meals. His dad is in great shape and incredibly skinny but has high cholesterol too so I guess it runs in his family. Any suggestions for lowing your cholesterol; the doc say veggies/fruit and whole grains and lean meats.

HAPPY HUMP DAY FRIENDS
35.gif

DEEGEEE, woooohoooo for inspiring someone on your walks that they noticed you gettting tiny and woooo for smaller pants
36.gif
AWESOME!!! You should be soooo proud!!!! YAY you!

TLH, hehe about the monster in the lake. ahahahaha Ick to a dirty lake but that was really sweet of you to be there for your hubs; glad he is getting better. Aw, thanks friend! Your dinner sounds delicious for tonight!

DRAGON, YAY for your run!!!!

SS, aw, that is so sad the dad wouldn't play with his kids; that is such a blessing you and your dh play w/JT. Yay for designing an entertainment unit. sending good job vibes your way.

LISA, oh no to damaged dry wall. hey you are lucky your man shrugs his shoulders about paint; my hubby and I argue over colors. lol YAY for your training session!!!!

ROD, wow you had a long day honey. Yay for the gym tomorrow; oh your dinner sounds yummy and super healthy great job! Sending cooler air out your way! I don't want to be that sore again though. lol hugs to you honey

TAP, great info, thank you for posting it!!!! wow, 6 weeks I didn't know that. does muscle work boost your metabolism a bit?

MARCY, yay for new Land's end clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results