shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 11th May till 17th May

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week!

Everyone is doing great - well done!!!! I know it can be hard to keep going sometimes, life intrudes, we get tired, don''t have time etc or find exercising or watching what we eat just plain HARD. It can be, this journey isn''t all roses, but the thing to remember is how we would look and feel if we didn''t put the effort in. I know what the consequences are of not taking care of myself and I don''t want to go back there. So to me it is non negotiable and a very important part of my personal happiness to make time to exercise and keep an eye on what I am consuming, as I know well how miserable I would be if I didn''t work at it!

So if you are finding the motivation a bit lacking, sometimes thinking about how things used to be or how you know you would look and feel without putting in the effort can be enough to send you determinedly towards the treadmill!
9.gif
Works for me anyway.
25.gif

Have a great week
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great opener Lorelei. I never want to forget where I came from and that certainly keeps me focused on the healthy lifestyle.

Have a great day!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
beautiful! I thought it would be time to join (again). I have been able to use the elliptical everyday last week except for wednesday, in which i still did weights, and saturday, where we walked around alot, shopping. I''d say not to shabby coming off a broken foot!
I have 1 month to go to hopefully shed a couple inches and feel better about myself in a bathing suit. Short time, but every little bit helps.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Good morning! Just a quick min to pop in - I never did go on that bike ride over the weekend (it was super windy), but I did keep really busy and did really well for meals - thai with brown rice, sushi, grilled out, made an angel food cake for dessert. Even did well at a baseball game! Too bad I didn''t take care of my skin with some sunblock - I''m a little burned today. Just got back from the gym where DH and I did weights. Looking forward to a great week!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Morning Friends; I went jogging again for 2 miles this morning and then walked.
1.gif
I had a busy weekend so I didn't check in (babysat nephew on Sat and had family over for dinner) and Sunday I was worried I would lose my post so I thought i would check in today; I stayed the same at WW which is fine since I we ate out a bit. Yesterday I went walking with my friend for 65 mins and mowed the lawn also. It has been great because I have seen my little turtle all over the yard this weekend; he is such a cutie. hehe

I got a new bike helmet and socks from REI since they had their annual sale. next weekend I want to go biking. I have some errands to run today. Hope everyone has a great Monday
35.gif

LORELEI, great opener!!! Woo for the treadmill workouts!

MARCY, yay for a new tv!!! Did it snow out there?

JCARLYLEW, yay good to see you; great job doing the elliptical workouts and weights! Hope the foot is doing better.

ELMORTON, ick, I don't like wind so I don't blame you. Your meals sound yummy. Ouch to the burn. great job on the weights w/your hubby.

BEE, yay for having your exams over with!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
CHARGER, wooo hoo for losing 20 lbs total!!!!!! AWESOME girl!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Howdy folks!
35.gif
Hope this note finds you all well as I am.

First formal day of exercise in ages, did a run/walk outside as the weather is fine. My DH look my bike down, so I might ride that later today. I want to go to the pool later this week, if the weather is yucky outside as predicted , off I''ll go...

cheers--Sharon

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Morning everyone! It''s finally time for my sister and I to get back on the horse so we''re doing yoga again for the first time since February! Yikes!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

My job interview stuff is going well. I should hear back tomorrow if I''m going for a 2nd round. :)

That''s about it. No working out and a fair bit of mindless noshing this weekend. But my sister and I have decided to put our foot down and work out and stop snacking!

Skip, sounds like you had a great weekend. 2 miles is awesome!

Elmorton, wow, great job with the weights this morning. I dunno how you wake up early enough to work out

Jcarly, great job on the ellipitcals. How''d you break your foot??

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei my dear, you continue to hit the nail right on the head with your weekly openers! Life certainly can intrude on the path to a healthy lifestyle, but i agree that it's key to remember what kind of shape we'd be in if we didn't make the effort!

Life will be intruding in a big way for me this week and next- I'll be on VACATION beginning Wednesday! We're headed to Argentina, and I'm sooo looking forward to it. I honestly cannot say that I'll "be good" 100% of the time, but i'll do my best not to overdo it on Malbec, beef and empanadas (among other Argentine culinary delights)

But i've still got a couple of days before we depart, and it will be the usual routine for me: bootcamp and work. We began the final week of BC today, and our trainer pushed the group extra hard- i'm almost scared to see what she has in store for us tomorrow and Wednesday!

Here's a great big HELLO for everyone
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday kids!

Was going to go run outside today but (a) it looks like the sky is going to open up any minute now and (b) my lift shin is really really sore so I just did the bike for an hour today. And a lazy hour at that. Oh well, just thinking about my laziness will probably be enough to keep me on track calorie wise for the day.

As always, great opener Lorelei!

Marcy, how goes your search for a new EC?

jcarlylew, hello (again)! Good for you for working out every day!

Elmorton, holy cow, wasn''t that wind just CRAZY, especially on Saturday? I was on the treadmill right inside from the pool and the wind was actually blowing big sheets of water out of the pool!

Skippy, say hello to your little turtle for me!

Sharon, hope you get to go out and enjoy your bike!

Lliang, fingers crossed for a second round!

Charger, enjoy your vacation!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I was MIA Last week. My grandma passed away unexpectedly the Saturday before last. She raised me since I was 3 years old, so its like I lost my mom. Last week was very challenging I was very busy the days I was at work and the other days I was busy getting things done around the house to prep for the post funeral reception, and my inlaws were staying with us starting Thursday and through the weekend (we were supposed to visit them but obviously those plans changed). I did manage to get in 5 days of exercise that were either walking or my walk/jog routine. But I did not eat well, mainly because our dinners were brought to us by friends so they were tasty but not healthy and my MIL had made a gazillion cinnamon rolls so I had those for breakfast instead of smoothies. As much I love cooking I definitely didn''t have time and I wasn''t in the mood to cook.

This week I''m trying to get back into my regular routine. I made tabbouleh for our lunches this week and I went to my TBT class during lunch. My trainer offered to give me a comp session, which was really nice, but I declined so I could have my usual Monday.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
APPLETINI, I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear grandma. Prayers and huge {{{hugs}}} outgoing during this time. take care and I am thinking of you.
emrose.gif

LISA, I have fingers and toes crossed for you for the 2nd interview great news!!! How are you feeling?

DEEJAY, I will tell him hi; he is just so cute! hehe Yay for the bike!

CHARGER, have a great trip and I would love if you could pack me in your bags. hehehe

SHARON, yay for your workout; good to see you.
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple, I am so sorry for your loss.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 4:04:33 PM
Author: appletini
Sorry I was MIA Last week. My grandma passed away unexpectedly the Saturday before last. She raised me since I was 3 years old, so its like I lost my mom. Last week was very challenging I was very busy the days I was at work and the other days I was busy getting things done around the house to prep for the post funeral reception, and my inlaws were staying with us starting Thursday and through the weekend (we were supposed to visit them but obviously those plans changed). I did manage to get in 5 days of exercise that were either walking or my walk/jog routine. But I did not eat well, mainly because our dinners were brought to us by friends so they were tasty but not healthy and my MIL had made a gazillion cinnamon rolls so I had those for breakfast instead of smoothies. As much I love cooking I definitely didn''t have time and I wasn''t in the mood to cook.

This week I''m trying to get back into my regular routine. I made tabbouleh for our lunches this week and I went to my TBT class during lunch. My trainer offered to give me a comp session, which was really nice, but I declined so I could have my usual Monday.

I''m so sorry for your loss.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evening everyone! Today was just exam day for me and I''m so upset. Two of the exams went brilliantly, but the middle one which we can''t repeat went absolutely awful. It couldn''t have gone worse for me and I''m just devastated. I''d studied for it so much but I just couldn''t remember anything for it. We have to repeat the year if we fail it so I''ve spent the whole evening crying into Amber and then D and I took her for a walk. I emailed the lecturer but I''m not hopeful. Just feel like I want to crawl into a hole.

Lorelei-your post really resonates with me today as all I felt like doing when I left my exam was stuffing myself with some chocolate or pizza. I''m actually quite proud of myself that I didn''t.

Hi jcarly!

El-well done on the healthy eating and hte gym!

Skippy-that''s great that you stayed the same and ate out lots! Well done!

canuk-well done on getting some exercise in!

lliang-best of luck with the interviews!

Charger-best of luck in bootcamp!

Hi Dee*Jay!

appletini-sorry to hear about your grandma. That must be so hard.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2009 5:38:28 PM
Author: bee*
Evening everyone! Today was just exam day for me and I''m so upset. Two of the exams went brilliantly, but the middle one which we can''t repeat went absolutely awful. It couldn''t have gone worse for me and I''m just devastated. I''d studied for it so much but I just couldn''t remember anything for it. We have to repeat the year if we fail it so I''ve spent the whole evening crying into Amber and then D and I took her for a walk. I emailed the lecturer but I''m not hopeful. Just feel like I want to crawl into a hole.
HI:

Bee--I am sorry you are not feeling optomistic about your exam--we always tend to think the worst--but don''t let that self doubt get the best of you. I am sure you will do better than you think!

Appletini--sorry for your loss.

kind regards--Sharon

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Apple, sorry for your loss. Prayers outgoing to you and your family.

Charger, 20lbs is AWESOME!!! Go you!!! Hope boot camp goes well for the next few days. Just think about your lovely vacation when you're grueling through it. I hope you like Argentina. And the empanadas are SUPER tasty, but they're baked so they're not *so* bad for you...

Sharon, hooray for bike rides :) I'm glad it finally stopped snowing around you.

Dee, we've had some pretty crazy weather!!! Take it easy on your shins. How are you knees doing? I'm so impressed you have the discipline to stay on track calorie-wise. I've taken to having conversations with myself, "Why do you want to eat that? you're not even hungry..."

Skippy, I'm feeling a lot better this week. I'm back to 100% I'm sure. I'll hear about the interviews tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed but I'm pretty confident. :)

Bee, sorry you you're nervous about your exam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes emailing the professor can work out, so I'm staying hopeful for you.

Sis and I did hot box yoga for the first time in MONTHS. I actually felt pretty good. But I'm SOOOO tired now. I made some chicken skewers & fresh spaghetti & sauce for dinner. It was quite tasty. For lunch I had a bunch of salads and was really good with the snacking today. I just need to repeat the snacking success (or lack of snacking) every day :)

~Lisa

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.I finally started the week with my pants fitting okay.Woo hoo!!!I stayed in my calorie range today as well.Breakfast was cheerios and strawberries, mid morning break was a min bagel with a little cream cheese, lunch was some noodles with leftover steak and raw veggies, afternoon snack was a 100 cal snack pack of shortbread sandies, supper was tacos.We went to the mall and had some frozen yogurt for dessert.

Appletini, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother.My thoughts are with you and your family.Hugs to you lady.

JCarly, I hope your foot is doing better.Ouch!

Elmorton, glad you had a healthy weekend of eating.Rats for the sunburn.

Skippy, yay for a jog this morning and for mowing the lawn.We had rain this weekend but didn’t get any snow.

Sharon, is the snow at least gone there yet?Ours has all melted.

Lisa, I am glad to hear your interview went well.Good luck with that.

ChargerGirl, your trip sounds marvelous.Have a blast.

DeeJay, I hope your shin feels better tonight.I didn’t look for any EC today but sure thought about it.

Hi Lorelei!

Bee, PS dust coming your way that you did much better on your exam than you think you did.

Hi White Orchid.

Take care.

Marcy

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you canuk, lliang and marcy. Still feeling crappy today and didn''t sleep a wink last night. D booked me in for a hair appointment to try and make me feel better so I''m going to go to the gym now and then get my hair done and then study for the day. Talk to you all later!!

canuk-Thank you. I''m just so disheartened at the moment
7.gif

lliang-what''s hot box yoga? Sounds intriguing!

marcy-yay for your pants fitting okay! WOOHOO
36.gif
36.gif
I forgot to do the calorie counting yesterday so I''ll have to try it today. All I had yesterday for my breakfast and lunch were wheetabix. I love those things.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
It''s been a great week so far. We''re playing The Biggest Loser at work and we had our weekly weigh-in the other day. According to the work scale I lost 2 pounds! According to my home scale I haven''t lost anything... I definitely like the work scale better!

Lorelei you''re so right, staying motivated is the hardest part of staying fit. Finding what motivates you is the only to make sure you commit to a healthy lifestyle.

Bee, have fun at your hair appointment! I love how good a little pampering makes me feel!

Hi Marcy!
1.gif

Liang, hot yoga sounds like so much fun!

Bee, I''m keeping my fingers crossed for your exam. Good job on not pigging out afterwards! I know I would have eaten everything within reach...

Appletini, what is tabbouleh?

Dee*Jay, congrats on exercising even though the weather foiled your plans. Rain''s done that to me more than once too!

Charger, have fun on your vacation!! Argentina sounds sooo nice!

Sharon, you''ve put me in the mood to go for a swim too!

Skippy, sounds like you''ve been doing a lot to stay active lately. I wish I had your motivation!

Elmorton, that meal sounds delicious. I really like wild rice, it''s one of my favourite foods.

Jcarlylew, I''m impressed my all you can do with a broken foot! Good job!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all for the kind words and support...it means a lot to me. I''m super busy at work so its a nice distraction and helps the day go by faster. I''m planning to go to yoga during lunch today.

White Orchid,
Tabbouleh is a dish made with a type of wheat. Here is the link to Ina Garten''s recipe on Food Network. You can add chicken and other stuff if you want. I don''t like too much mint so I do a combo of parsley and cilantro. I also only use 1.25 cups of water instead of 1.5 b/c I think the 1.5 is a little too much. This time I also added a little lemon zest. I also buy the crumbled feta and add that instead of the giant "shards" since it has such a strong flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pita-stuffed-with-tabbouleh-and-shards-of-feta-recipe/index.html

Here is Ellie Krieger''s version to give you an idea on the nutrition info. Both recipes are good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/tabbouleh-recipe/index.html

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i was bad yesterday... i only worked out for 10 minutes! our apartment manager came in to work out, and i get along with her like oil and water... *grr*. which should have made me work out harder but alas, i was too steamed (i just got a nasty gram on my door for our "barking" dog...after living there no problems for 2 years!!). So today i am going to take that pent up energy and take a nice walk in between jobs. also, i started WW about 2 weeks ago, but find it hard to stay motivated to fill out my points tracker. *sigh* alas, i will have to put the mac and cheese on there eventually!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Friends
1.gif
Lorelei, great starting thought for the week - it is very true and I needed that reminder. Tomorrow (Wed.) is my first ''formal'' workout of the week but I feel like I have been on my feet forever! Monday was our pack date for our sea shipment of goods back to the US - and you know what moving is like!
6.gif
11.gif
14.gif
And today I went over the border into China to do some shopping, have some tailoring done, etc. so I am tired . . back to the routine tomorrow! Have a wonderful week everyone
35.gif

Appletini - I am so very sorry for the loss of your grandmother

Hi jcarlylew - you are doing great having been injured! (BVI - I am jealous!)

Marcyc - having pants fit is one of the best feelings - yay for you!

Bee* - {hugs} I know you are feeling so down, I hope that the exam results are better than you anticipate - you have been so diligent and my fingers are crossed for you - hang in there!

Elmorton - you ate so well over the weekend, kudos - that is my tough part of the week!

Skippy - you rock! 2 miles is great . . . you are cruising toward a 5K
36.gif

Hi Canuk-gal - exercising outside is so nice after so many months of ''ick''

Lliang - you are inspiring me to head back to yoga - I''m a drop out since March. Good luck w/ the interviews!

Chargergrrl - wishing you a fab vacation and good luck at bootcamp!

Dee*Jay - the COUCH would be lazy
9.gif
- the bike is good!

White Orchid - so glad you are having a great week (I love Biggest Loser - it would be fun to do it in a group!)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got up early this morning and did the spin class and the tone class and it made me feel a bit better as I didn''t sleep a wink last night. I got a reply from the professor and there is nothing that they can do so if I failed it, I have to take a year out and repeat it next year.
39.gif
39.gif
I''m so upset at the thoughts of this and it''s kind of ruined the hen night this weekend for me as I''m going to find it hard to celebrate when I know I''ve messed up so badly. Plus the worst news is that we get our results on the day I''m getting married
7.gif
. I''m going to see can I get mine a day or two early.

White Orchid-yay for the 2 lbs. Definitely stick with the work scales!!

Jcarly-enjoy the walk today.

babysteps-thank you. Enjoy your workout! Sounds like you''re busy.

Talk to you all later. Better go back and study for the next one.

veryprettygood

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! Can I join? I am working on getting back into jogging after I had a baby 10 months ago. I have about 50 lbs to lose. My Husby is the best for inspiration but he also has a sweet tooth.

How do you all keep track of each post and response you give?

All I can remember is
Apple, I am sorry for your loss.
and Bee, I hope you got the grade you needed. Is it med school? I am 75% done with my RN program and I had to repeat a semester. ARRRGH I cried for a month!

Lorelei- That is truly helpful to think of how I could look and feel if I didn''t take responsibility for my health. I love how I feel when I work out. I remember that 24 hr fitness commercial (maybe or was it Baly''s?) that showed the girl feeling like a tiger on the days she worked out.

bye for now!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi friends! I am pooped out today for some reason, oh well, maybe my energy will kick in during Intervals workout class (I hope).
1.gif

Well yesterday at Costco I bought some Tilapia to make for dinner tonight and I bought some broccoli and some onion so I will saute that in white wine with some chopped tomatoes for dinner. For lunch I had turkey breast roll ups with a slice of cucumber and thin slice of avocado; it was yummy! Next time I think I will throw in some sunflower seeds and sprouts. I love this time of year for all the fresh fruits and veggies.
1.gif
I also bought strawberries and raspberries to have with fage (greek yogurt) tonight for dessert.
3.gif

BEE,
hang in there, I bet you did better then you thought. huge hugs and good thoughts sent your way hon. hope you sleep better and glad you worked out!

LISA,
glad you are feeling better and fingers still crossed for you today. Yum to chicken skewers and spaghetti. woo, for yoga!

MARCY,
ya for your pants fitting! do you do the light cream cheese, is it yummy? I am loving the laughing cow spreadable cheese! Oh rain is good, glad you didn't have snow!!!

WHITE ORCHID,
yay for motivation for all at work; how fun!!! Yay for losing 2 lbs
36.gif

APPLE,
thinking of you honey, hugs. Did you hear Ellie won a james Beard award for one of her cookbooks?

ROD,
I miss you, hugs.

JCARLYLEW,
10 mins is great; whatever you can get in works better than nothing, sorry about the note. Yay for a nice walk today!! Yay for WW; I am a WW.

BABYSTEPS,
how is body pump? go babysteps go, kudos girl!!! Yay for some shopping, how fun! Wow, you are busy with moving.

VERYPRETTYGOOD,
welcome, yes please join us! Congrats on the baby. You can do it; we are here to support each other and cheer each other on along the way. glad you are with us! Happy Nurses day btw.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday kids!

Did 65 mins on the hampster wheel this morning, two hard sets of arms (added in a new tricep exercise!) and 100 bridges. The scale has dropped below 125 for the first time in a while so I'm pretty happy. (Of course I'm going out for drinks/dinner for the next 5 nights in a row so I'm sure that won't last long.
20.gif
)

Weather here is beautiful! Walked over to meet a client in the Loop and enjoyed the sunshine. Stopped at CVS on the way home for ONE THING... managed to spend $43 and they didn't even have what I went in for.
33.gif
Whatever.

Skippy, your tilapia recipe sounds wonderful!

Veryprettygood, welcome! We're happy to have you!

Bee, I really bet you didn't do as badly as you think. Seriously. I've had things like this and they don't turn out as terribly as we think. Hugs!!!

Babysteps, LOL on the *couch*!

Jcarlylew, 10 minutes is a million times better than 0 minutes! Enjoy your walk.

Apple, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Biggest hugs outgoing.

White Orchid, go with the work scale!

Marcy, my shin actualy does feel pretty good today... so I will go for a long run tomorrow and screw it up again, ha ha!

Lliang, my knees are miraculously doing OK. I swear this glucosamine (sp?) is working for me! And yes, I have those conversations with myself too. Unfortunately I often lose the argument!
3.gif

Hello Sharon and Lorelei!

Rod, honey, where are you?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hello gangaronni!!!
35.gif

I ran/walked outside today--black clouds looming and we got hail/snow....whatever!!! And all you folks are enjoying wonderful warm weather--can I come over?????????????????

Take care folks and keep up the good work-outs!

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, 70 and sunny here! Meet you up on the roofdeck with a margarita in an hour!
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2009 5:28:54 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Sharon, 70 and sunny here! Meet you up on the roofdeck with a margarita in an hour!
2.gif
See ya!
emcocktl.gif
emhot.gif
10.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results