shape
carat
color
clarity

Couch to 5K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Has anybody done this series? It''s a podcast that you can download, and apparently the guy on it uploaded a playlist and talks you through when to run and when to walk. It''s a 9-week program, and I''m getting anxious to start. It seems silly but...

BF is moving out at the start of November. Pretty soon after that he plans on getting a dog. Not just any dog, of course. A boxer. A dog that needs a LOT of exercise. So BF decided he wants to start running 3 miles a day when he gets a dog. And I decided that sounded like fun (crazy, right?). But I want to be one of those couples - one of those sickeningly cute, active couples that are always running or biking or climbing together, you know? So since I''m a bit of a couch potato now I was hoping somebody had experience going from lazing around to actually being active on a daily basis.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I was a couch potato but I decided to tackle my first 10K. I trained for about 6 months. I walked then moved up to a power walk then up to a slow jog mixed with walking and eventually onto running. In addition to the basics of walking/jogging and running I also started taking Zumba, Pillates, Yoga and Step Areobics.

I''ve lost almost 30 pounds, I''m not even sure how many inches off assorted body parts, lowered my cholestoral and blood pressure. Although I am not at the size I want to be at by the time my wedding rolls around next year I feel more confident about my body. Taking up a routine with a goal in mind has done nothing but motivate me and raise my self-esteem.

I completed my first 10K yesterday (running and walking the race) and am already starting a new training routine so that I can run the race again next year but try and finish in an hour or less.

Start slowly. Give yourself realistic goals and even think about entering yourself into a 5K road race if you can find one in your area. For me, knowing I had a race to be ready for really pushed me to keep on keeping on! GOOD LUCK!!!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! I didn''t know about the podcast. I''ve done the program before, and it does work, but I was just going from a website I printed out. I''m going to have to go look for that now...

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Also, Princess, not sure if you''ve heard of Cesar Milan before, but you might want to check out his books or his TV Show (Dog Whisperer) if you''re going to be getting a dog. My BF and I have been trying his techniques with my dog, and they really work! Short leash walking is a must for us when we''re out running on crowded trails.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Krispi, thanks! We''ll definitely have to check out his books. One of our friends is incredible at training her dog (she''s got a 150lb mastiff that''s *completely* under her control) so I''m sure BF will be calling her a lot, haha. He''s off meeting with a potential roommate now, so I really hope he''ll be getting a puppy/dog soon.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
First, I LOOOOVE boxers. And will need to see pics!

I did some of the program, but not through the podcasts. I actually REALLY loved it, but I moved out of my building with the treadmill. I was NEVER a runner, but I found the workouts to be really fulfilling, short, and I felt good about the progress. My only advice (assuming the podcasts are similar to the online program) is to go at whatever pace you want. I had to repeat weeks starting around week 4. I just wasn''t ready to move on, and I didn''t want to get discouraged and/or burnt out.

Good luck!

edl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 9:50:58 AM
Author: Miscka
My only advice (assuming the podcasts are similar to the online program) is to go at whatever pace you want. I had to repeat weeks starting around week 4. I just wasn''t ready to move on, and I didn''t want to get discouraged and/or burnt out.
EXCELLENT advice. I was cycling for about 4 years (and had completed a 580 mile weeklong ride) when I decided to start running to mix-up my workouts. I was up to 2 mile runs and all was well for about 3 months when I got the worst shin splints in the world! I could hardly walk, so I stopped running for about a year.

Anyways, fast forward 4 years, I''m still into long-distance cycling, but managed to increase my running activity with more workouts on the treadmill (less impact). My typical run now is about 4-5 miles on the treadmill or 5K outside. Still only running around 9:30 miles for those distances.

Get good shoes, and make sure you''re not running too fast! Pace yourself, and ease into the mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results