shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a Weight Watcher''s thread?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
DH and I just joined last week and are really excited about it! I was wondering how many other pricescopers were on the program and if anyone would be interested in swapping stories/recipes? We are doing the meetings, not just the online part, but I''m using their web tools which have been really helpful so far!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Yes Yes!! I joined WW three weeks ago and I've already lost 7 pounds! (With exercise of course) But I can't tell you enough how WW has changed the way I think about food! I was overeating like CRAZY before I discovered that I could be happy and satisfied with healthier alternatives!

Great idea oobie! I'd love to hear about others experiences on WW!

ETA: I'm only doing the online portion, no meetings....but I find their online tools so very useful for what works for me!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Yay! DH and I may just do the online program later on but right now we (I, really) need to go to the meetings so I''m held accountable. I find it incredibly difficult to lose weight so I''m really hoping this actually works. I hate feeling deprived so I''ve had chocolate or ice cream everyday since we joined on Saturday. I found a really great chocolate pumpkin muffin recipe for only 2pts each so thats part of my breakfast usually. I can''t taste the pumpkin at all although I think they''d still be good if I could.

7 pounds in three weeks is very impressive! Any words of wisdom or good recipes that work for you? I''m also a serious over-eater. I''ve tried to portion out things where I can eat 2 for the points of 1 if that makes sense. Last night we had turkey burgers and I purposefully made them small so that I could eat 2! I''ve also had to eat lots of 0 and 1 pt snacks to keep from having a meltdown. I think my blood sugar has just been getting too low since the change in diet so hopefully that works itself out soon.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really have any words of wisdom, as I've only been at this for 3 weeks - but I can say that I'm most successful when I'm organized. DH and I plan our weekly meals before we grocery shop every Sunday - so, we know exactly what we're cooking each night - I also have to plan out my daily foods every morning - I pack my lunch, healthy snacks, and when I get home, I know exactly what to cook. I find that on those days, I always stay within my 20 pts allowed. Organization, for me, is key.

A few favorite recipes we've tried are the turkey burgers, panko crusted fish, shrimp scampi, to name a few of the online recipes. I've also found tons of great recipes on Whole Foods website - they are all pretty healthy and low in WW points! Also, we picked up the cookbook, Best of WW, and it's awesome! We want to try nearly everything in the book!

For snacks, I usually take along to work some Light Yoplait Yogurt - have you tried the "light, thick, and creamy" line?! The Cinnamon Roll is TDF! I also buy tons of fruit at the beginning of each week, like grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, watermelon, and make a huge fruit salad - I usually take a small bowl full of that each day for a mid morning snack.

I also eat a filling breakfast each morning - on days I'm running late, it's usually a bowl of Kashi, but on days where I'm not running late, I usually do some scrambled egg whites and a piece of toast! It's important to get both carbs and protein at the beginning of the day! It definitely helps to keep you on point for the rest of the day!

I've joined a new women's gym and I'm there every afternoon right after work and do about 45 minutes on the elliptical! I feel great! Although, I still consider myself fat, I feel fantastic and on the right track to being a slimmed down healthier version!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow Weight Watchers, I hit goal I think it was 2 months back ago. It took me about a year and a half to lose 34 lbs; I was super slow though. I loved etools! I think Weight watchers is a great program!

I have posted some weight watchers recipes in Mara's recipe thread up top.
YAY for losing 7 lbs Cleopatra!!!
36.gif
Yay for joining Oob!!!!!
36.gif

Fiber one bars chocolate chip 2 pts
Trader Joes low fat mozzarella 1 pt
Alternative bagel 1pt
Trader Joes low fat spinach pie 4 pts a big slice
TJ's fig bars 2 pts
WW fudge bar 1 pt
Thomas light english muffins 1 pt
laughing cow light cheese 1 pt
canadian bacon 1 pt
egg whites 1 pt for 3

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! I joined WW in April and have lost 32 pounds so far. I use e-tools, and I track every single thing I eat. I use the mobile site on my iphone to log everything during the day while I''m away from a computer. My husband and I have been walking 2-3 miles every day, which is pretty good for lazy me! I measure my portions and home, and even bought a food scale. I found a website that has an awesome listing of point information for restaurants. I found it by doing a search for "weight watchers restaurant points." I have completely changed my eating habits, and foods I used to treat myself to at the end of the week when I had lots of extra points (like carrot cake) don''t taste good to me anymore. I don''t want it, which is great! I have had to learn to plan food for the day either the night before or first thing in the morning so that I won''t accidentally go over my points. I am tickled with my weight loss so far. I joined a WW at work program, so we have a big support group at work and people are always sharing little tips and recipies.

When I first started, I was being too careful and trying not to dip into either my 35 weekly points or my activity points. I lost all my energy and was exhausted all the time. The leader checked my food log and told me I had to start eating more points each day. When I started eating more, I started losing more weight each week. Eat your points!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Just would like to share this with my fellow Weight Watchers! I weighed myself this morning, Mondays are my official "weigh in" days, but I wanted to do a mid way check to see if I was on the right track - well, I lost another pound...which makes me....drum roll please....Back to the weight I was a year ago when DH and I got married! Whew! It took me 3 weeks to take off the 8 pounds I managed to gain in a year! Definitely feels good!

So - on another point. I had a half a whole wheat bagel and 1 tblspn of Weight Watchers Reduced Calorie Whipped Cream Cheese - and I must say - their cream cheese is actually pretty darn good! A half of a Lender''s Wheat Bagel and 1 tblspn of the cream cheese comes out to a 2.5pt breakfast - which isn''t too shabby!

Also, my new favorite snack during the day is a mini bag of reduced fat popcorn! I found a "salt and cracked pepper" popcorn that is just SO yummy and totally satisfies my salt cravings - 6 cups of the stuff is only 1.5pts! Which makes a great snack during the day! And it definitely fills you up as popcorn is listed online as one of their "filling foods."

Hope everyone has a great day!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to wish all of you guys on WW good luck. I know it is a great program and I will probably be starting it after my baby is here in Jan. I am going to be lurking for recipes though b/c I love healthier alternatives!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, are you finding it hard to maintain your goal? Do you still attend meetings?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 8:18:58 PM
Author: steph72276
Skippy, are you finding it hard to maintain your goal? Do you still attend meetings?
Steph, I don't it is surprising. In the past I would have had a problem, lost the weight but then gone back to my old eating habits and slowly gain. We went on two vacations and I was super nervous about that but stayed the same weight and part of it was just being aware of what I was eating, etc.

Like I said this time I am super aware of feeling full and that food will always be there (unless it is a vacation and there is something I really want to eat then I go for it but in moderation). I think the reason I am doing better this time too is because it took me longer to lose weight so I was sort of forced to focus on healthy eating habits for a longer time frame and I am more aware of what certain foods do to me. I know you and I have talked about refined flours and sugars make us crave more of those things so I avoid those more and I don't get those crazy cravings. I eat more whole grains, lean meats, dairy, fruits and veggies.

I do go to meetings but if I can't make it then I make sure to go the following week. I would like to get a job there once a week just to weigh people in and be inspired by others. I also picked a manageable weight for me; I am okay with being a size 8 instead of smaller size because I can maintain this. Thanks for asking; you are such a sweetheart. You have great healthy eating habits so I bet the baby weight will fall off. Congrats on the baby, friend!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, thanks for the reply. That is great that you are maintaining easily. A size 8 is where I can easily maintain too. I got down to a 4/6 at one point after Andrew, but it only lasted a little while before I was back up. I just don''t think my body wants me to be that small! That would be awesome to work there just to stay accountable. You look great and so proud of you for reaching your goal in a healthy way! I will be back over in the HLT in a few months!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I joined the online version 4 weeks ago and lost 6.5 lbs. It has definitely helped me be aware of what I''m eating.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I joined the online program about a month ago. I don''t know how much I''ve lost because I refuse to get on the scale. I''m more into how my clothes fit. I''m seeing a difference thus far, though it''s small. I try and do an hour on my treadmill at least 4 x''s a week, but it varies. I travel for work a lot, so I spend a lot of time researching where I''m going to eat ahead of time, which is a complete pain in the neck, but I am determined to not blow it during the week. I try to ease up on Friday evenings so DH and I can go eat out. I want to lose 20-25 at the end of the day (or at the rate I''m going, YEAR)

My current obsession is eating a Boca All American Griller (1 pt) on a light Thomas english muffin (1 pt) and baked fries (4 pts). I love that I can get a "burger" and fries for lunch for 6 pts! I make my own condiment for the fries that is nearly "free" as long as I eat 1/2 or less.

I''ve made the szechwan pork recipe and the tandoori chicken wraps from the recipes on the website. Both were really good. I was really skeptical about the szechwan pork and was more than pleasantly surprised with how it came out.

Oh! I''m also addicted to making flat bread pizzas. Has anyone eaten those Flat Out Wraps? They have 8 or 9 grams of fiber depending on which ones you buy. They come in at 1 pt each and are about the size of a large tortilla. I''ve been putting homemade pizza sauce on them, turkey pepperoni and 1/4 c of skim mozzarella cheese and stick in the oven at 400 for 10 mins. It comes out to 5 pts.

I''ve got a digital food scale too, which I love. It really helps make me accountable to what a "serving" is.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please!! I tried to keep up with the Healthy Living thread and it was just too much to keep track of.
7.gif
Having a place for ww specific ?s, ideas, and support would be great!!

I''ve been "on" ww since April. Lost 10 lbs rather easily (ok, so I got a little ww obsessed - all I could think about is points) and I''ve managed to keep it off all summer even though I''ve been awful about getting to my meeting/staying on the plan. I''m slowly getting back into the swing of things, and I think I''m going to have a better perspective this time around. Being obsessive wasn''t helping me because I clearly burned out, but I know that the plan works and that I''m better off when I''m following it, so this time I''m hoping to achieve a happy medium.

In my last meeting (two weeks ago) we did the "Swap Meet". There were some great ideas about ww friendly foods, and I was just curious if anyone heard some good ones/has some ideas to share.

The two biggies for me were Arnold''s Sandwich rounds (1 pt for 2 pieces of bread. Hello, awesome! And they taste good) and PB2, a powdered peanut butter that you add water and it''s 1/2 (or a 1/4? I can''t remember) the points of real peanut butter. There''s also a chocolate PB2 that is yummy. Think a diet-friendly version of Nutella.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh yes, elmorton - I agree about those Arnold''s sandwich rounds. That was a great find! I have the powdered peanut butter, but I haven''t tried it yet. My boss gave a whole jar to me because she didn''t like it, and I just haven''t gotten around to trying it. One of my friends mixes it with fat free cool whip and uses it for topping for the weight watcher chocolate cake. Our leader had told us to try mixing a low sugar chocolate cake mix with diet coke and 2 egg whites. It''s pretty low point per serving.

I''m having a hard time figuring out what I want my goal to be. Skippy, I''m like you because I want to get to a goal that I can easily maintain. I''m afraid the goal I have in mind might be too low, but I really want to get there. The leader asked me this week to set a goal, but I told her that I wasn''t ready to just yet.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Woah, woah, woah- what is this powdered peanut butter stuff you speak of? Is it really good? Does it work in recipes? I LOVE peanut butter. Love it. But have all but given it up these days. I''d love to be able to get the flavor into some dishes without the points.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Haha April, that''s what I said!!

Here''s the linky: http://www.bellplantation.com/

My local grocery carries it in the healthy foods section. It does not taste exactly like PB, but I''ve found that if you use cold (as in from your fridge, not tap) water, it''s better. And there are a million different uses for it on the site. Some are ww friendly, others are...not. My leader said on days where she doesn''t get her oil intake, she''ll add a tsp or two of oil to her PB2.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
A WW thread would be great! I just joined Friday and am looking forward to sharing tips with fellow PS-WWers. I''ve printed out some recipes off the WW site and I''m working on my grocery list for shopping tomorrow. Today I picked up a bunch of veggies at the farmers market.

I''ve tried in the past and just wasn''t serious about tracking and really putting the proper effort into making it work. I am this time and hearing others stories really helps. Thanks!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to all the "LOSERS" out there! I definitely feel more inspired knowing you have have had such luck with the program.

So I went to my second meeting on Saturday and I had lost a pound! I hope it comes off steadily because I easily get discouraged with diets and weight loss plans.

I LOVE those sandwich rounds... I''m eating one right now with some ham and swiss that only makes it a 3 point sandwich. That is pretty much what I have everyday for lunch although sometimes I have the progresso soups that are 0 or 1 point. I''m really intrigued by this "peanut butter"! I''ve wanted a PBJ sandwich lately and also want to make some sort of asian chicken with peanut sauce so I bet it would work in a recipe like that. It looks like they don''t carry it anywhere near me though...maybe I''ll order their samples to try it. This may be a stupid question, but what do you do with the egg yolks if you just eat an eggwhite omelette or something? Do you just throw them out? I hate wasting but I can''t think of anywhere else I could really use them.

Do y''all usually eat your 35 extra weekly points? What about your activity points?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Oobie! Congrats on the 1 pound! That''s something I''ve learned about WW - it''s a slow loss, but steady. And it''s definitely coming off for good, not because of a fad diet or pills! Keep doing what you''re doing! Great job!

To answer some questions, I eat egg whites every morning, and I''m wasteful, because I can''t find any use for the yolk, so I toss them....As far as Activity Points, I average about 25 Activity Points per week - I love doing the elliptical after work!

Every now and then, I will use my "weekly points" - I usually save those for the weekends when DH and I go to restaurants - it''s much harder to stay on point at restaurants, so I like to give myself that cushion! But as far as during the week, I rarely use them - I tend to stick to my 20 per day!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I''d love a WW thread!

I''ve been in the program for almost a year and I''ve only lost 10lbs (On the plus side, I''ve kept 10lbs off for a few months now!). That''s all my fault, though, because for the past, oh....20 weeks or so I just lost my motivation. I finally had a talk with myself about it, and I''m doing a lot better. Hopefully I''ll have a loss this week!

I find that I''m fine throughout the day, but I just lose it when I get home. I only get 23 points per day, and I use about 12 of them at work, so I can have fun when I get home...but then I get lazy and don''t portion things out. I know I need to, but for some reason I just...don''t. So I''ve been back to my old stand bys and I''m trying to just stick with what I know for a few months. I''m also trying to only use weekly points on the weekends or for special occassions. For instance, next week (my week starts on Tuesdays, which is my weigh-in day) I''m having dinner with friends on Thursday and brunch with another friend on Saturday. So I''m trying to focus on not eating my weekly points each day (I usually break them up and have 4-5 weekly points per day), but saving them up. Things are more special that way, but it''s hard to cut back.
7.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh hey, I have a quesiton about weekly vs. activity points. Do we get to use both, or just one? Like, do we get weekly points and then activity points on top of that if we work out? I thought we did, but then my leader confused me and said you had to pick. Lame.

Also: Nature''s Own Whitewheat is 1pt for 2 slices, and Thomas 100 calorie high fiber English Muffins are 1pt. My breakfast (I spread it throughout the morning) is 1 English muffin w/ spray butter (0 points!), 8 oz. of milk, and a WW yogurt. Yum!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I joined WW in April and have just reached Lifetime membership--didn''t have a lot to lose, 13 pounds, but I wasn''t successful at losing it until I Joined. I like the weekly meeting a lot, but DH refused to go, so only I joined and came home and told him what to do (I;m so good at that LOL) He has lost 27 pounds!

Re: Activity points-- I think it is totally separate from those extra 35 weekly points. But the leader cautioned how people often overestimate how long/hard they exercise. for example, did you warm up and cool down for 20 min, then you can''t count that as heavy exercising time.
In general, if you aren''t losing, you''re probably underestimating what you eat and overestimating your exercise. DH had to decrease his points several times until he got the right amount to lose.

My best changes for me were portion control for snacks since I am a nibbler, I am much more likely to make a bowl of berries, where it used to be cookie dough (and heaven knows how much, I just ate and ate) I just had blood test for life insurance and I am very interested if my cholesterol is down.

Good luck all!!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At first I wasn''t eating many of my weekly points, and the leader lectured me every single week. She explained that the diet works using those points, and that it is easier to maintain your goal weight if you have been eating your points all along. When I started eating more, I started losing weight faster. I''ve been doing really well, and haven''t been hungry at all. Unless I have something planned during the week (like a night out with friends), I usually try to divide the 35 points up by adding 5 extra points a day. I have never used all of them, and haven''t used any activity points, but I don''t purposely try not to use them. More than anything, I want to get to my goal weight and be able to maintain it.

princess - the activity points are in addition to the weekly points. My leader stresses using the weekly points, and says to use your activity points if you need them. Happy Anniversary is right in that you have to watch what you count for activity points.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, that''s what I thought. I don''t generally eat my activity points unless I''m working out like crazy (for instance, 3 times a week I play sports for about 2 hours. I average it out to a medium intensity since it''s some high intensity and some sitting on the sidelines, but that''s still quite a bit). But if it''s just a bike ride with BF or a walk I don''t count it. But I do eat my weekly points - oh boy do I love those points! I''m hoping today will be a loss. I weigh in at noon, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

20 lbs to go....20 lbs to go....

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
I joined WW this past Monday, and so far am very motivated and excited! Happy to see a thread started.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think this thread would be a great idea! I have a hard time keeping up with the healthy lifestyle thread, but would still like to check in!

DH and I started 3 weeks ago. I''ve lost 5lbs, he''s lost 11.5lbs.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in to wish you luck on the thread, its a great idea!!!
35.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Just popping in to give a little update!

We''re starting week #4 on WW - so far, I''ve lost 9lbs (and 5 inches!) and DH has lost 20lbs!!!

I''m definitely finding that when I pack a ton of veggies in my lunch, I don''t get crazy hungry in the mid-afternoon like I usually do! I''ve been eating a salad with lots of chopped veggies for lunch and on those days, I feel the best!

I''m going to try to find a great muffin recipe in the Healthy Recipes thread to make for breakfasts for next week!

Good luck everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results