shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a Weight Watcher''s thread?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I would bump this thread since TGal mentioned it. I have not read the whole thing but I think I will when I get a chance.

Last night I said enough was enough and signed up for WW online. DH and I are both doing it so it is nice to have a partner. I really like the calorie tracking tool, very user friendly. I also like how you can log your excercise, I find it challenging to log as much as possible and to have a number associated with it so it is quantifiable. So the game element is there. DH also likes it a lot and finds it motivating. He never would keep a food diary, much as I pestered. I used to write my calories down, but obviously I was not being strict enough because after calorie counting for a month or more I lost only 2lbs. So now we mean business I found out one of my close friends also had success on it.

I want to lose 40lbs and DH wants to lose 30lbs. I would be happy with a 25lb loss though, and a 20lb loss for DH
4.gif

Here is something funny... we signed up last night but I suprised DH with my decision for us both We logged our calories for the day and I was on target... he on the other hand spent the day golfing with business associates and managed to eat.. drumroll please... 59 points! haha... almost double his daily allowance. Thank goodness for flex points. He also logged 10 activity points so I suppose he is forgiven. We had some good laughs and still talk about that day, it is so much food! The really funny thing is that he came home and said he was really good at dinner because he only had one plate of food! Amazing how you can be so out of touch.

We are also running. We started training in January and I could only run for like one minute. Now we run 5km and are aiming to work up to running 5 days a week! At the moment we are running 3 days and will increase to five in another couple weeks when we get used to the extra distance, we just increased from 3km to 5km and don''t want injuries.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
I''ll be an active member of the thread if you guys will stick around too
9.gif

I joined a few days ago online. I was waiting for the one at work to start up (and also my insurance provides discounts but have to go to a meeting). Anyway, they don''t have enough participants yet so I got tired of waiting.

I mentioned in this forum that I signed up for a 6 week exercise challenge. "They" say that it takes 3 weeks to form a habit so here''s to hoping that an exercise habit forms
drinkingbuddies.gif

I think I''ll join you in your running goal dreamer. I usually walk with Sophia but I don''t consider that working out. We don''t have a jogging stroller so I can''t go fast. I don''t even work up a sweat. But I''d be willing to head out the door after Sophia''s asleep. I''d LOVE to be a runner one day.

I have a significant amount of weight to lose: 80lbs
39.gif
32.gif
39.gif
14.gif
. I''m trying to wrap my mind around the fact that this will not be a 2 or 4 month effort. I will not be 80lbs down by Christmas. I just need to take it slowly and it''ll come off. I like that weight watchers is all about changing your lifestyle and having the weight come off too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yah Fiery!
36.gif
The first step is accepting there is a problem, which is so hard. It is easier to just float along in denial I think.

I think if you work the plan it will work for you. I know that I was really convinced it was impossible for me to lose weight, and then when I was 23 I did a program a lot like WW with a nutritionist and it work so fast it was amazing! But this time that was not cutting it for me. 80lbs is a lot to lose but I think if you make a real lifestyle change you will be shocked how fast it comes off!
1.gif

I know that for me, the only way I lost weight in the past was by working out for like an hour HARD 4-5 days a week. Like sweat pouring down, panting, want to quit so bad, hard working out. Anything less and the weight does not budge for me. But when I was serious about my calories -- like using WW is -- and I worked out like that the weight seemed to melt off. I only gained when I stopped working out and then my diet just slipped and it all inched back on.

You and I have similar bodies and I think for us, working out is so key.

So is running going to be your activity? Is their a running club you can join near you? Often running show stores will have them. When I was learning to run I did a running clinic to prepare for a 10k charity run, it was once a week with the group, and it taught me so much.

Our goal is to run 20k per week and to run 10k charity races! We have run 13k this week so far. I''ll be honest, it is murder. I want to stop the whole time.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and what day is your weigh in day? We are doing Monday... want to check in on Mondays for sure and report our progress? Like "X - 3" or something... no need to report actual values
2.gif
And we can report on our excercise?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 8:03:46 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 6/24/2010 7:36:09 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Oh, and what day is your weigh in day? We are doing Monday... want to check in on Mondays for sure and report our progress? Like ''X - 3'' or something... no need to report actual values
2.gif
And we can report on our excercise?
I heard Tuesday was the best day to WI because you get 34 flex points for the week.. and.. most of them are normally used on the weekends. ;-) Just a thought. Normally your WI will be higher than normal just after the weekend.. just my past WW observations..
emangel.gif
Do the flex points "recharge" on the weigh in day? I didn''t really think about that... I can see weight being higher on a Monday. Maybe we will move it to Wednesday since that is when we started!

Date: 6/24/2010 8:03:46 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

I finally got hubby to agree to do WW with me.. my son will eat pretty much anything so he''ll go with the program. Hubby''s complaint on WW is that he is always left feeling hungry.. I tell him, sweetheart that''s because the plate you are eating is enough for two people realistically. DOH!
LOL! My DH too. I think your stomach shrinks and it takes a while to get used to eating less. Maybe your DH just needs to wait for his stomach to catch up with the new smaller portions?
4.gif

How much are you hoping to lose SDL? Do you hop on or off WW depending how your weight is doing?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only have 6 points for dinner because I ran out of 1% milk so I used my sons 3.5% on my cereal! haha! And because we ran I was extra hungry at lunch. I really don''t want to use my flex points at all, but if we use them I want it to be for something gooooood, not just dinner
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mmm that looks awesome! I am vegetarian, but I bet I could substitue tofu for the chicken or leave out the meat all together.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, posting here...Going to quote you first Dreamer, so you know what I''m replying to...

I did see that you were doing it TGal and I was going to ask you about it! I am so happy you are seeing success! DH and I are both doing it online as well so it is nice to have a partner. I really like the calorie tracking tool, very user friendly. I also like how you can log your excercise, I find it challenging to log as much as possible and to have a number associated with it so it is quantifiable. So the game element is there. DH also likes it a lot and finds it motivating. He never would keep a food diary, much as I pestered. I too used to write my calories down, but obviously I was not being strict enough because after calorie counting for a month or more I lost only 2lbs. So now we mean business I found out one of my close friends also had success on it.

I managed to lose 55lbs of baby weight (moe like 25lbs of fat though, I gained a lot of water) but still have 5lbs hanging on So BFing was worth it in that respect, since I did nothing else to lose that weight. Still, next time I will *not* be gaining 60lbs

Here is something funny... we signed up last night but I suprised DH with my decision for us both We logged our calories for the day and I was on target... he on the other hand spent the day golfing with business associates and managed to eat.. drumroll please... 59 points! haha... almost double his daily allowance. Thank goodness for flex points. He also logged 10 activity points so I suppose he is forgiven. We had some good laughs and still talk about that day, it is so much food! The really funny thing is that he came home and said he was really good at dinner because he only had one plate of food! Amazing how you can be so out of touch.

Sorry for the thread jack AN But it is related, right?

Yes, I like it so far. I''m 6 weeks in and it seems more second nature. I don''t mind splurging...like tonight for date night, I had wine and greek tacos (which included fluffy pita bread - bad bad bad) I dip into my flex points....the daily allottment of points is supposed to be your MINIMUM intake. I''ve been using a good portion of flex points and still losing about a pound a week. Maybe using less would mean more weight loss, but I''ve also read that people lose more when the use the points. Who knows.

Re: Monday weigh ins, I''ve found I weigh more on Mondays for sure. But I weigh throughout the week and I now know there is a range where I am throughout the week. I''m noticing the range keeps moving down, so I am happy. So even though I weigh more on Mondays, I am seeing that on Thursdays I''m down more compared to the previous Thursday, etc.

I got my three workouts in the for the week, so I''m happy there. You can count me out for doing runs, but I''ll cheer you all on. I''ve done two marathons and I don''t care to ever run again.
14.gif

SDL, I was hungry at first, as you probably know since you''ve been on WW, the hunger fades dramatically after the first few weeks. Now I am rarely hungry at all. I was starved in the beginning. Tell you DH to stick with it!
36.gif

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

I''m on my 29th week of WW. I''ve lost 32 lbs so far and couldn''t feel better. I have 1 pound to go until I''m at goal :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you all think it is a good thing or a bad thing when the hunger fades? Seems to me the hunger feeling could be the metabolism going gangbusters and then when it goes away then it means you got used to the fewer calories... or it could mean you stomach is not longer stretched the size of a basket ball because of all the overeating you were doing
3.gif

DH and I managed to get through the day and stick to our points
36.gif
I admit, this feels like a very small amount of food to me especially on a run day. I keep weighing the options of using the flex points each day, buying an extra 5 points per day, or saving them for something I love like Pizza or something like that.

When you bank activity points do you use them or just look at them and enjoy them?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 1:02:32 AM
Do you all think it is a good thing or a bad thing when the hunger fades? Seems to me the hunger feeling could be the metabolism going gangbusters and then when it goes away then it means you got used to the fewer calories... or it could mean you stomach is not longer stretched the size of a basket ball because of all the overeating you were doing
3.gif

DH and I managed to get through the day and stick to our points
36.gif
I admit, this feels like a very small amount of food to me especially on a run day. I keep weighing the options of using the flex points each day, buying an extra 5 points per day, or saving them for something I love like Pizza or something like that.

When you bank activity points do you use them or just look at them and enjoy them?
Hm. Maybe it''s not the hunger fading..I do feel my stomach growling from time to time (and I feed it if I do). I just don''t feel starving, nor do I crave processed foods. But yes, I think my stomach isn''t the size it was.

Congrats on the sticking to the points. If you run, eat extra. You need it.

I rarely need to go into activity points, although I did go into them one week. I use the flex points often. Keeps me feeling happy and not on any type of "diet." Feels just more like a healthy lifestyle with the occasional splurge.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hi SDL and TGal
35.gif

Re: weigh-ins-I chose Mondays. I find that I do really well during the week mostly because we have a wide variety of food options in the cafeteria as well as a wellness meal option that is 500 calories or less. The weekends are the hardest for me what with bday parties, bbqs, shopping at the mall, going out with friends, etc. When I make Monday my weigh-in day I keep that in mind all weekend and make smarter choices.

Dreamer-I agree that I can''t just eat well or work out. I have to do both and I have to be really strict. This exercise challenge will force me to workout every day, even if it''s just walking for 30 minutes. That''s awesome on sticking to the points
36.gif
36.gif

Did anyone have trouble figuring out what to eat?

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi! Can I join this thread??

I joined WW a week ago because I am so fed up with myself. I''ve slowly packed on the lbs and have about 30 to lose. I''m finally ready to get back in shape.

Thankfully my employer offers a $500 allowance for any sort of wellness equipment/program so they will be paying for my subscription.

Are you ladies doing the online program or going to meetings? I decided to use the online program only.

I weight in on Monday and lost 2 lbs the first week and it felt great! As far as exercise goes, my husband purchased the Insanity workout series and I may try that with him although I''ve been considering trying to run. I am terrible though...I''d be surprised if I could run for 3 solid minutes.

My DH wants to lose some weight too (hence the Insanity workouts) but isn''t to the point that he''s willing to change his eating habits so I''m going at this alone which is why I''m so glad to have a thread to come to!
36.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, gals. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone doing WW. I''ll be checking this thread for recipe ideas (SDL those shells look so yummy. I make some like that, but never thought to add chicken
18.gif
). I''m flip flopping on whether or not to sign up as well. I''m plugging along loosing about a pound every 2 weeks...super slow, but I''m eating healthy and working out so not much more I can do besides monitor portions more closely. I think if it doesn''t start picking up some speed soon, I might join in. Thanks for all the recipes and inspiration!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery I was ok knowing what to eat from my past experience losing weight... it was not lack of knowledge that was stopping me
20.gif
but willpower and portion control. I do like the Filling Foods menu on WW online, though. Have you checked it out? And peruse their recipes? I am planning to do that more because we need some more variety in our diets.

ImperfectGirl Yah for 2lbs! That is great! I am doing it online. I could not run either when I started. Try this: speed walk for 2.5 mins then run for 30 seconds, and repeat for 30 minutes. Do that three times in the week, then the second week run for 1 min walk for 2 mins 3x. Then Run 2 mins walk 1 min, run 5 mins walk 3 seconds... and so on until you care running for the whole time!
1.gif
It really takes time.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dreamer - Thanks for the running tip! I''ll have to try it out this weekend.

Fiery - I second checking out the filling foods list. I really didn''t want to feel constantly hungry so I stocked up on lots of items from the list. I rarely feel hungry (meaning a gowling stomach) when I''m incorporating them into my diet.

I am now trying to re-train my brain to understand that I don''t have to have that ''full'' feeling. After I eat, I feel fine until it''s time to have a snack or another meal, but I don''t have that complete full feeling that I''m used to because I''ve been overeating for so long.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 12:37:43 PM
Author: ImperfectGirl
Dreamer - Thanks for the running tip! I''ll have to try it out this weekend.

Fiery - I second checking out the filling foods list. I really didn''t want to feel constantly hungry so I stocked up on lots of items from the list. I rarely feel hungry (meaning a gowling stomach) when I''m incorporating them into my diet.

I am now trying to re-train my brain to understand that I don''t have to have that ''full'' feeling. After I eat, I feel fine until it''s time to have a snack or another meal, but I don''t have that complete full feeling that I''m used to because I''ve been overeating for so long.
Yes, I was just thinking about that this morning too! Instead of eating until full, I guess we are supposed to eat just until the edge is off, which is a new thing. My nutritionist said to eat every 3-4 hours but smaller amounts, sort of just topping up the tank.

So I have been thinking about how I will use my flex points. I really love pizza, and realized that for like 24 points I can eat a whole bunch of pizza, like a whole small pizza
4.gif
I am also a candy FIEND and discovered that a bag of skittles (or similar) is only like 2 points. But somehow I feel like if I binge my points then it is really supporting the bad habits that I am trying to break, no? And it cannot be good for your blood sugar and metabolism.

Thoughts?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 2:03:07 PM

So I have been thinking about how I will use my flex points. I really love pizza, and realized that for like 24 points I can eat a whole bunch of pizza, like a whole small pizza
4.gif
I am also a candy FIEND and discovered that a bag of skittles (or similar) is only like 2 points. But somehow I feel like if I binge my points then it is really supporting the bad habits that I am trying to break, no? And it cannot be good for your blood sugar and metabolism.

Thoughts?
I am not on WW, but I am doing calorie restriction. I am at about 1300 cals per day and allow myself one "free" meal per week (which I would equate to your flex points).
I have successfully lost about 35lbs using this method (it did take a while, averaging about .75 - 1lb per week), but I think it keeps me sane.
I guess you could call it binging since you restrict though the week and then have a large meal (for me this is typically Friday dinner). I would sometimes eat in excess of 2000 calories in that meal bringing my total for the day well over 3000. I have actually found that this weekly "binging" brings my metabolism back up (you don''t want your body to go into starvation mode which will cause it to hold onto everything so even if you eat 1200 cals a day you will not lose weight), and tricks it into thinking that it is going to get more food and that the calorie restriction will not last forever.
It really does depend on how the psychological aspect of this behavior will affect you, for many free meals keep them sane, and for some they ruin the healthy eating and start into a week-long binge, it’s just about finding what works for you.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer - Don''t do the Skittles. Your body will hate you! I''ve found that if I let myself overload on sweets like that I end up craving more and more sweets which never turns out well. If you are running, try adding in good "healthy" calories. And it is extremely important to up your calories/points a bit while working out heavily. Running burns about 110 calories per mile. I try to take back in half of what I burned during a run. So if I''m doing a 5 mile run (my mid-week distance right now), I figure I''ve burned about 550 calories so I try and eat about 275 extra calories that day. Makes a big difference in how quickly my body recovers from a run. Not such a big deal while running shorter distances, but as soon as I started running more than 15 miles per week those extra calories were necessary. My favorite pre-run snack is 5 points - 1 slice of whole wheat toast with 1tbsp peanut butter and half a banana. Oh, and when you are calculating points earned for exercise, the rule of thumb is 100 calories burned = 1 point.

I''m still doing WW, although I''ve had to heavily modify it as I become more serious about my running training. I am counting points but not really following the program. I keep paying because if I''m paying I''ll go to meetings, and that keeps me honest. I''ve lost 31lbs in just shy of 6 months and am less than 10lbs from my goal. Six months ago if you had told me that I would lose all this weight and be seriously training for a half marathon I would have laughed right in your face.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
ImperfectGirl - try googling Couch to 5k. It is a running training program that takes you from being a couch potato to running a 5k in 9 weeks. It is similar to Dreamer''s interval training, but has 9 weeks of workouts. The best part is that it''s free!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
EricaR How far in advance of your run do you eat that snack? I need to start doing a snack before a run because I feel very tired and currently we run in the am and I don''t eat breakfast first.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I''m interested in joining WW - I think it would be great for FI and I (though it may have to wait until one of us gets a steady job). I think it''s funny that he''s like a lot of your ladies'' SOs, where he complains that healthier foods aren''t filling enough, and he''s "being good" when he has one McDonalds sausage biscuit instead of two.
20.gif

This might sound a little a dumb, but I''d love some basic information about it. I know there''s a points system - which I guess makes it easier to add up calories and so forth? How many points is one allowed to eat - and is this dependent on body size?

Structure is very important for me. I think I would definitely benefit from structured meal plans, healthy living tips, and the like.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 6:07:48 PM
EricaR How far in advance of your run do you eat that snack? I need to start doing a snack before a run because I feel very tired and currently we run in the am and I don''t eat breakfast first.
YES! Snack first. The trick is going to be in playing around and finding what works best for your body. Right now I eat my toast and half a banana at least 30 minutes before running, sometimes 45. If I eat any closer to the run I''ll end up with stomach cramps. If Iam running soon and I don''t have that much time I need something that is super easily digested. Lately I''ve turned towards GU Chomps and/or Jelly Belly Sport Beans in those situations. If you like Skittles you might like the Chomps - they are these candy-like things with the texture of gummy bears, and they have electrolytes, amino acids, and easily digestible sugars to help keep you going while you run. I buy them by the box from Amazon. A box runs me $25 or so and lasts two months. On longer runs I bring a few along and gobble down a few after 45 minutes or so. Some have caffeine, so watch the packages when you buy them. Caffeine isn''t necessarily a bad thing, but just know what you are buying.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merelenda I do no know what it costs in person , but online is only about $80 for three months! Totally worth it. Much easeir than counting calories for me so far and very structured. You are given points based on your body mass, and then one point takes into account the caloriesand fat and fibre content of a food.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 8:47:46 PM
Merelenda I do no know what it costs in person , but online is only about $80 for three months! Totally worth it. Much easeir than counting calories for me so far and very structured. You are given points based on your body mass, and then one point takes into account the caloriesand fat and fibre content of a food.
Here in the US, it's about $20 a month. Go to retailmenot.com and check for coupons. There are usually some that give you free registration. So I think I registered for 3 months for somewhere in the $50 range.

Re: how it works:

Points are given based on sex, weight, whether or not you are pregnant, and how active you are during the day. I am sure there are other factors too, but generally there is a basic formula that's pretty easy to find if you google it.

So, say you are given 20 points a day. That's what your daily target should be a day to eat (and not less). Then you have 35 flex points a week to use how you see fit. So basically 5 extra points a day. So you can eat 25 points a day total, or just do 20 points a day and then splurge for a couple of nice meals.

Exercise gives you "activity" points. If you deplete your flex points, it starts taking away from your activity points.

See how this becomes kind of like a game? The idea is to make sure you have some points leftover!

There is a daily points tracker where you track what you eat. There is a recipe builder where you enter the ingredients and it will calculate points per serving. Every week you log in your weight (and if you want, measurements) and it keeps track of them on a chart.

WWOnline gives you the tools, but it's really up to you to research how to eat well and how to exercise. It's a fun game for me because I like to see how I can stretch my points every day and feel full. You could lose weight eating 10 skinny cow ice cream sandwiches a day, but I wouldn't recommend it.
41.gif

There are tips and recipes throughout the site. There's also a nice tool where you plug in what you have in your fridge and it will give you recipes to use them. I personally like going to cookinglight.com and finding good recipes from there. I convert the nutritional info to points.

Dreamer, if you love skittles, I say save them for the end of the day after dinner. I do have a dessert and I like to have it at the end of the day a reward. I love sugarfree Jello Pudding cups...just a point each and they are sweet enough that they leave me satisfied (and sometimes feeling a little sick to be honest) at the end. Then I polish off the evening with a cup of tea to get the sweet taste out of my mouth and find I'm pretty content.

Merilenda, to give you an idea of how many points certain items are:

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich - 2 points
Chicken - about a point per oz
Beef, around 5 points for 3 oz (which is a pretty small portion, btw)
a cup of spinach or broccoli - 0 points (the idea is that it's so low in calories, it's negligible)
a slice of whole wheat, high fiber bread - 1 point
a slice of white bread - 2 points
an egg - 2 points
egg white - 1 point for 3 of them
cup of lowfat milk - 2 points
a SMALL glass of wine - 3 points
most beers, 12 oz, - 3 points
Subway Turkey sandwich on wheat, no cheese, mustard/and or vinegar only with veggies - 6 points

So you can see how it's fun to plan out points and meals. It's very doable if you like generally healthy foods. I won't even tell you how many points some of the "bad" stuff is. You can literally blow through your daily point allowance on one meal. Eating out can be a total killer.

Typically, I do 3-4 points for breakfast, 1 point mid morning snack, 4-6 point lunch, 1-2 point afternoon snack, and an 7-8 point dinner. If I have leftover points, I'll do a 1-2 point dessert and 0 point tea to wrap up my day. It's very very doable.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, since I started doing this, I find I NEVER skip breakfast. I think this has really helped.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
TGal - thanks for all of the great info! It makes more sense to me now. I had an idea of how it worked, but I didn''t quite get the specifics. I can see how making it into a "game" could be really motivating and fun at the same time. I''m definitely not new to weight loss/dieting, but in the past I''ve just had a calorie limit and strictly counted what I ate/burned in a free online program. It''s all the same idea, but this way seems a lot more fun.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:10:05 AM
Author: merilenda
TGal - thanks for all of the great info! It makes more sense to me now. I had an idea of how it worked, but I didn''t quite get the specifics. I can see how making it into a ''game'' could be really motivating and fun at the same time. I''m definitely not new to weight loss/dieting, but in the past I''ve just had a calorie limit and strictly counted what I ate/burned in a free online program. It''s all the same idea, but this way seems a lot more fun.
No problem. As I said, it''s totally MENTAL. Counting calories add upward. Everything you eat, you pile on the numbers. So it makes you not want to eat more. WW points system makes you count downward...so you''re trying to eat up what you have in points. At the end of the day, if you have 3 points or left, you find ways to eat it. Much more fun than not wanting to add a few extra calories at the end of the day.

It''s the way it''s presented that''s making the difference to me. The mindset.

Oh, and another weight loss tip, don''t stay up until 1 am like I am...you just end up being hungry because you''re awake longer!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:18:42 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 6/26/2010 4:10:05 AM
Author: merilenda
TGal - thanks for all of the great info! It makes more sense to me now. I had an idea of how it worked, but I didn''t quite get the specifics. I can see how making it into a ''game'' could be really motivating and fun at the same time. I''m definitely not new to weight loss/dieting, but in the past I''ve just had a calorie limit and strictly counted what I ate/burned in a free online program. It''s all the same idea, but this way seems a lot more fun.
No problem. As I said, it''s totally MENTAL. Counting calories add upward. Everything you eat, you pile on the numbers. So it makes you not want to eat more. WW points system makes you count downward...so you''re trying to eat up what you have in points. At the end of the day, if you have 3 points or left, you find ways to eat it. Much more fun than not wanting to add a few extra calories at the end of the day.

It''s the way it''s presented that''s making the difference to me. The mindset.

Oh, and another weight loss tip, don''t stay up until 1 am like I am...you just end up being hungry because you''re awake longer!!
Yes, this is really how Dh and I are finding it to! a GAME.

We are trying to rack up the activity points and save our flex points for splurges. But DH of course gets a lot more points per day than I, like 8 more, so I am finding I need to dip into my flex points some days just to get enough calories in especially when we run. Still, I have like 13 more flex points for the next two days and I doubt I will use all of them!

Last night I had some candy and it was 8 points. So not worth it! I kept thinking how I could have eaten a LOT of food for those 8 points and how I would have rather eaten something else for those points that was more satisfying and fulling! That isa first for me that I would want to eat something other than candy.

We ran 5km this morning, so this week we ran 18km
36.gif
, which is like 22 activity points or almost a whole days worth of points for me (I get 26 because I am actually very heavy). I am really proud of us and I hope it pays off when we get on the scales on Monday! DH also golfed twice which apparently gets him like 10 points each time because he walks and carries his bag, so he is really off the chart in the activity points - 42!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 3:36:03 PM

Yes, this is really how Dh and I are finding it to! a GAME.

We are trying to rack up the activity points and save our flex points for splurges. But DH of course gets a lot more points per day than I, like 8 more, so I am finding I need to dip into my flex points some days just to get enough calories in especially when we run. Still, I have like 13 more flex points for the next two days and I doubt I will use all of them!

Last night I had some candy and it was 8 points. So not worth it! I kept thinking how I could have eaten a LOT of food for those 8 points and how I would have rather eaten something else for those points that was more satisfying and fulling! That isa first for me that I would want to eat something other than candy.

We ran 5km this morning, so this week we ran 18km
36.gif
, which is like 22 activity points or almost a whole days worth of points for me (I get 26 because I am actually very heavy). I am really proud of us and I hope it pays off when we get on the scales on Monday! DH also golfed twice which apparently gets him like 10 points each time because he walks and carries his bag, so he is really off the chart in the activity points - 42!
I think that''s the beauty of what I am finding about WW.

After awhile, you know in your head what the point values of certain things are. So you think, with my daily allotment of points, what do I want to "spend" it on? With regular calorie counting, I found this mentality didn''t exist. If I ate it, I just added it. If I didn''t eat it, no adding. But with the points, I think. OK, if I have this cup of coffee with a bit of milk, it''s a point. I''ll save that point to put toward a glass of wine later. And I rarely eat anything that huge in points like candy for the reason you mentioned. 8 points, off the top of my head is many many slices of whole wheat bread. Yes, not nearly as delicious, but holy cow, that''s a lot of food! It''s making me think about what I''m eating a bit more than usual.

I''d happily have a point or two worth of something sweet though...helps not to feel deprived.

Sounds like you''re doing great Dreamer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results