shape
carat
color
clarity

You just can't make this stuff up.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Some farmer needs to get a ticket for not keeping his fences fixed up! That sight would sure wake you up on your morning commute. :shock:

--- Laurie

P.S. A peacock has adopted our neighborhood. Everyone has been warned to drive slowly; 2 families feed him & he wanders across the road from house to house (chow to chow), stopping to check out dindin possibilities in the bushes. Sometimes he just hangs in the very center of the road -- won't move until he's good & ready and cars simply have to wait for him. He lives way across town -- his owner says he wanders in search of a lady. For his safety, I wish they'd get him a wife to keep him close to hearth & home, but this is the South, after all, so little effort expended. He's been here most of the time for about 3 years.

img_0749.jpg

img_1897.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1378860441|3518334 said:
Some farmer needs to get a ticket for not keeping his fences fixed up! That sight would sure wake you up on your morning commute. :shock:

--- Laurie

P.S. A peacock has adopted our neighborhood. Everyone has been warned to drive slowly; 2 families feed him & he wanders across the road from house to house (chow to chow), stopping to check out dindin possibilities in the bushes. Sometimes he just hangs in the very center of the road -- won't move until he's good & ready and cars simply have to wait for him. He lives way across town -- his owner says he wanders in search of a lady. For his safety, I wish they'd get him a wife to keep him close to hearth & home, but this is the South, after all, so little effort expended. He's been here most of the time for about 3 years.

Your description of the peacock made me absolutely die of laughter hahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: Especially the part about finding a lady ;-) He IS gorgeous tho!

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I have a lonely peacock in my neighborhood too. Before I knew he existed I literally thought I heard someone being murdered. My husband said it sounded like a peacock. I thought he was crazy until we actually saw him... Here's a picture I snapped of him while walking the dogs. With the recent fire it's supposed to drive more wildlife into the neighborhood. Hopefully a coyote won't get him!

20130516_154418.jpg

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny about the cow! I can see how it would be a hazard though.

Beautiful peacocks!

A guy at the company FI works for e-mailed everyone wondering where he could find a peahen to turn loose in his neighborhood. Turns out there was an accident a couple of years ago and a peacock got lost from a truck. It has been wandering around screaming in search of a female. The neighbors are tired of the noise so have gone on a search for a suitable peahen.

I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard (nice of the people to take an interest in the health and happiness of the peacock) -- didn't realize this was a common thing!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, neither did I! They do sound like crazed ghosts, especially in the night, don't they? Many a night, walking my aged dog at 2 am, I was thankful I knew what that supernatural sound was; would've sent ice up my spine otherwise.

Getting a lady for him is an idea we never thought of! Might pass it around & see if everyone's on board. We have foxes, loose dogs, & coyotes around here & none have touched the peacock. They'd regret it -- he takes no prisoners when crossed, that pirate fellow. Fierce boy.

--- Laurie

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1378906293|3518579 said:
Gosh, neither did I! They do sound like crazed ghosts, especially in the night, don't they? Many a night, walking my aged dog at 2 am, I was thankful I knew what that supernatural sound was; would've sent ice up my spine otherwise.

Getting a lady for him is an idea we never thought of! Might pass it around & see if everyone's on board. We have foxes, loose dogs, & coyotes around here & none have touched the peacock. They'd regret it -- he takes no prisoners when crossed, that pirate fellow. Fierce boy.

--- Laurie

I'm not sure how the female search turned out.

Some people have suggested that a female wouldn't help because then he'd always be calling to her. I've seen them in zoos but never outside of there so don't really know what would happen!

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
Our poor peacock has an injured wing now so I don't know if he could escape a predator now :( We contacted a wildlife center and they said they would euthanize him. So we all just keep an eye on him. I'm going to look into the finding him a girlfriend because the screeching has to stop.

April20

Ideal_Rock
A guy I knew years ago hit a cow on a country road. Came over a hill and there was a cow that had escaped the pasture in the middle of the road. No time to stop. It totaled his car. But the cow had insurance, so it (the farmer) covered the damage.

What gets me about this story is that it appears to have been occurring for some time now and no one is stepping up to missing a cow!

Those peacock pics are great. He is beautiful. I've heard they're screamers though!

There's a turkey that lives behind us now. I hear "gobble gobble gobble" every morning. I'm living in Haiti right now though and there are animals everywhere running loose. I'm never sure what I will see.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'll bet you see a lot of animals, April. Must be a veritable Dr. Doolittle around there.

Makhro, can't somebody take the peacock to a vet that works on birds? Maybe he's crying because he hurts. That would be my first impulse; he'll die slowly otherwise, from infection or predators. Here I go, all upset again! ;(

--- Laurie

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
Honestly now with the broken wing he cries way less. I guess the vets said the same thing. We all keep an eye on him. We feed him and look out for the coyotes. Hopefully we have enough raccoons, turkeys, and possums to keep the coyotes busy. There's a farmer near me with lots of peacocks but he can't go there with the broken wing since they can be vicious.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooo, the peacock stories are great! Get a peahen! I wanna see their babies!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Baby peacocks! Never thought of that! Wouldn't that be fun? They'd have to be protected from predators (btw, good for you folks, makhro, for watching out for your injured guy). Wondering what they look like, I did a search for peachicks:

Aren't they cute?? Takes 'em 28 days to hatch -- making all those fancy feathers-to-be is time consuming.

_9908.jpg

_9909.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You might want to see about a small zoo in your area if they are intersted in helping out. We have a family run zoo in my area that has several peacocks. When something crazy turns up I'm told they do everything they can to take the animal in. They also have a white tiger and a giraffe among other things.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Babies are pretty cute, and they're really cool to watch as they mature. SO's family friends raise them! They have white and traditional colored both male and female, and each year they have between 10-20 babies. They hand make us decorative gifts from the feathers. have a smaller wing feather that has green tinges hanging in my truck, it's about three inches long.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We have wild horses in my area. They wander down from the hills and hang out in neighborhoods. It's not unusual to see an entire herd (pack?) of them running down the main street.

Heycurt

Rough_Rock
A SuperSoaker is a proven way of reminding semi-domesticated animals some things not to do like stand in the road.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a reminder - peahen + peacock = peaflock. If you think one peacock in your neighborhood is bad...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1379018234|3519659 said:
We have wild horses in my area. They wander down from the hills and hang out in neighborhoods. It's not unusual to see an entire herd (pack?) of them running down the main street.

Herd :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

OMG!!! What a sight that must be. I'm greeeeen with envy.

--- Laurie

amc80

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1379086163|3520097 said:

Herd :wavey:

Ha I thought so, thanks!

JewelFreak said:
OMG!!! What a sight that must be. I'm greeeeen with envy.

It is really neat. My house backs up to some undeveloped land and the horses would hang out in there a lot. About six months ago they corralled all of the horses and trucked them back to the wilderness. Of course they are now back. My friends who live about a 1/2 mile away said they had an issue with the horses sleeping on their lawn (after eating it for dinner).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
The horses were about 200ft from my house so I took a picture. There were about 10-12 total.

image-1943980930.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Contact Noah's Ark in Georgia for help with the broken wing peacock.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
A cow hit my mon when she was driving one evening. Not the other way around; she was driving down the road and the cow just ran out of the pasture through a break in the fence and smack into the rear passenger side door. Try explaining that to the insurance company! Anyway, the cow was fine, it just shook itself off and continued on its way, but it made a mess of the car. Then they had to try to track down the farmer to go find his cow and fix the fence. Fortunately it was a rural area and not anywhere near an interstate, that could really be bad!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1379990289|3526065 said:
The horses were about 200ft from my house so I took a picture. There were about 10-12 total.

This is so cool! Generally they are smart enough to avoid moving vehicles, just make sure to drive slow.

I cannot say the same for cows. Cows don't think the same way, and it scares me when they get loose. We had to help herd a bull back into his pasture once. He was loose in a relatively high traffic area.

My neighbors used to let their horse roam the property corner when I was a child. We had a dirt road that only accessed their land and ours. He would never leave the dirt roads. His name was Chico. Sometimes we'd find him in the yard, quietly munching on the grass.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results