shape
carat
color
clarity

Yorkie Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cosmo_Gal

Shiny_Rock
Just purchased a yorkie on black friday, looking for any advice yorkie owners have to offer such as food, training, housebreaking. Thanks :)

ollie.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
such a cutie!!!!!!

we have yorkie named cosmo. we trained it to sleep in his kennel from very early on. this helped immensely. we also brought him to the puppy training classes at petsmart. there i think it was good to get a little doggie socialization in. plus he learned [and we learned how to teach him] tricks like sit, stay, come, etc. with those skills we were able to teach him more advance tricks. he''s my first pet, so i thought the classes were very useful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo cute.
Hugs to the puppy.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I have two tiny yorkies and the best place to get tons of information on everything from food to grooming is Yorkie Talk. Yorkie Talk

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
*head bonk*
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cutie! I don''t have any experience with Yorkies but you can go to the American Kennel Club''s site (www.akc.org) and look for yorkies under one of the search options. There should be a site given for yorkies specifically (like an off shoot of the AMC, dedicated to each type of breed).

I''m not sure where you''re located, but my sister is a a performer and a dog trainer (yes, odd combination!), and she''s worked with yorkie puppies before. She specializes in puppies actually. If you''re in the same area she is, I can give you her contact info (well, I can ask the mods to do so).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cutie! I have a Yorkie that is now 14 years old. She was definitely challenging to train. I previously had a poodle that trained in just a few days. Chloe was much more stubborn! I just kept at the same routine day after day and she finally caved and gave into the peeing outside! I say that because it almost seemed deliberate on her part to not catch on!

As long as she had toys that she was interested in - and mainly those were latex (very soft) squeeze toys - she didn't try to chew the furniture and such. She had lots of toys to choose from so chewing wasn't a huge problem for us. She was smaller when we got her than yours is and we had her sleeping in a baby playpen. We used the playpen as her kennel and she stayed there during the day and at night for about six months. If I had to do it again, I'd have a small kennel and probably never stop using it - particularly at bedtime. Chloe manages to take up alot of room in a king size bed - I know that sounds absurd! - but she thinks the bed is all hers. It has made our sleeping not as enjoyable as she wants to lay long ways against a king size pillow so hubby and I actually have about half the room to sleep that we should! We won't change things for her now but if there is ever another. . . we'll keep separate beds!

She has been our joy and delight though for all of these many years. The breeder told us that Yorkies like to play hard and sleep hard. All too true. My angel is much older and much less active but we are still crazy about her.

Enjoy that little bundle of joy - if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help!

Cosmo_Gal

Shiny_Rock
His name is Oliver. I''ve only had him for several days, but i can already see the biggest challenge will be housebreaking. I know it sounds silly, but i feel terrible putting him in his crate when i''m at home. We have the puppy pads, but he only uses it first thing in the morning. He doesn''t like going outside and the first time i put him in his litter box he tried to eat the litter, lol. He has a vet appt today so hopefully i''ll get a clean bill of health report for him and get some advice there. He''s such a sweetheart..very affectionate and loves to snuggle. I can tell he is going to be such a joy in my life. He is a character. Thank you for your advice and compliments. I''m sure i''ll be back with plenty of questions and pictures.

setell

Shiny_Rock

I don’t have much advice on training a yorkie but I’m currently training my maltese. He’s an adorable little guy. I found that all dogs are different even if they are the same breed. Sammie was so much easier to train vs Charlie. Sammie was like fully pee pad trained within 2 weeks and have never had an “opps” since. Now Charlie is different, 2 months later he’s pretty much 80% pee pad trained but when he gets super excited he’ll make a mistake or when he don’t like the pad. Yup, if the pad is too dirty he won’t go too. Also he’ll purposely make a mistake when he’s upset too to punish mommy for being “mean” to him.

11.gif
Crate training isn’t so bad if you start at a young age. Charlie knows his crate/bed is his safe haven that he can go into anytime he wants. I feel bad putting my boy in a crate while I am at work though. Breaks my heart I have to do that. I let him have the crate and kitchen all to himself for a week for a test run to see if he can handle free roam of the place and he failed.

For pad training (Charlie don’t go outside either as I’m too lazy to take him out), I just guide him onto the pad when he seems like he has to go or I notice he hasn’t gone in a while (usually after 2hrs). I tell him “go pee pee Charlie” and usually he’ll go. I started a puppy journal to track when he goes pee, poo, eat, what he did for the day etc. I am a bit crazy but I want to cherish his puppy days as he’s growing fast! It really helps me figure out when he has to pee, when he’ll poo roughly (how much poo too so I’ll know when he’s constipated and adjust his wet/dry food ratio) and I also know what is wrong with him too. It also tracks how much free roam time he has and how many hours he’s been in the crate per day too. Charlie is getting to the point where I’m laying on the sofa and he’s playing with me by the sofa, then he’ll run into the kitchen towards the pad. He’ll do his business and back to playing. That’s my goal for him to be like that 100% but we’re getting there. I go on a maltese message board to get training tips and I use Brad Pattison’s methods (some think his methods are at times harsh but I think they work fairly well) too.

And your baby is ADORABLE!
30.gif
30.gif

EDIT: why are you using litter? usually litter is just for cats?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results