shape
carat
color
clarity

Yorkie Poo

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Ok the other dog we are considering is a Yorkie Poo. My cousin has one and he's a great little dog. Very good with my kids. Unfortunately the breeder she got hers from (7+ years ago now) no longer breeds dogs (was an older couple). I'm not really wanting to support a pet store or puppy mill. Anyone have a Yorkie Poo? Where did you get yours? Experiences with your dog?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to harp on this but most reputable breeders will not breed mixed breeds. Most mixed breeds are bred by back yard breeders or puppy mills.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some reputable breeders just not too many in my area. I would really like to be able to visit the breeder before purchasing to make sure the puppy is coming from a decent place so I am not supporting a place that mistreats animals.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
My grandma actually just adopted a Yorkie Poo pup from a shelter (which is of course is my preferred option). Taking that route means you won't get instant gratification, but they are definitely out there if you look!

img_1051.jpg

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, another vote for a shelter or breed specific rescue dog! :) You can also check on www.petharbor.com for shelter dogs and www.petfinder.com for breed specific rescue dogs. In our area, it's estimated 50% of the dogs in shelters are purebred - if that's what you're looking for (as are both my rescues!). Our doggie daycare owner has a Yorkie Poo and she's adorable - she's well socialized, gets along with big and small dogs and is great with all people. Definitely talk to the shelter or rescue about the type of personality you're looking for a in a dog and they may be able to suggest a small dog needing a home with a breed you're not familiar with. There are typically a number of dogs that aren't true to their breed temperament, like my super lazy, laid back husky vs the typical high energy, naughty, naughty huskies like my #2 dog! :)

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have checked Petfinder and some local shelters but there are not any available.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jax, I hope you decide to wait and adopt from a shelter! As sonnyjane and webdiva have written you can certainly find specific breeds that way though you might need to be patient till the right one comes along (sort of like bling!). And there are rescue groups for many breeds that you can research that might have the breed you are looking for...
Save a life if you can! Sending you lots of good luck dust to make it happen!! :appl:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Put in an application for the local breed rescues, usually the dogs are spoken for before they get posted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I am also going to say, if you decide you want to pursue something specific such as the Yorkie Poo, go for it! Sometimes pure bred breeds have health problems, and I think mixed breeds are desirable in many respects. I would buy from a responsible individual and not a puppy mill, of course. We have bought pure bred dogs and adopted from the shelter, too. You do what is best for you! And you could wait forever to find a Yorkie Poo puppy in a shelter (unless a puppy mill is shut down or something). I have met someone who had some Yorkie Poos, and they were adorable!

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have a yorkie poo!! He is the most lively and character filled pup ever. He was from a breeder in Southern IL. They're great with kids and people. They are such loyal and SMART pups!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
joolsiepetunia said:
I have a yorkie poo!! He is the most lively and character filled pup ever. He was from a breeder in Southern IL. They're great with kids and people. They are such loyal and SMART pups!

Pictures?? Do you remember which breeder?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results