shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you wear your ring(s) in the ocean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to FL in May and will be doing a lot of swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking while there. Yay! Anyway, I don''t think most, if any, of the places we''ll be staying will have safes, and I''m worried about my rings slipping off while in the ocean. I thought about wearing just the wedding ring, but the problem is that it''s too loose (can''t really size it at the moment either). I do have insurance, but losing my rings would still be very upsetting to me due to sentimental reasons and convenience. What have people done in the past, and what should I do?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Eeeeek, that sounds scary!!! I would definitely NOT do it!!!!

My thought (just a thought since I''m not married yet) is that I''m going to get an extra plain platinum or wg band (my real wedding band has diamonds) to wear for situations like that where I don''t want to be completely ring-less for a week, but I don''t want to risk hurting my real rings either. I plan to get married with my diamond band and have that be my REAL wedding ring, but I don''t want to have to not wear a ring at all when I''m nervous about losing/hurting it! Would you consider buying a cheap white gold band just so you have "a wedding ring" on for those times, and don''t have to worry about your real rings? I''m just cringing thinking of your rings falling to the bottom of the ocean!!!! (Also, I feel like I heard somewhere that saltwater isn''t good for rings? I could be making that up though...)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good question. I''d be worried about them slipping off also, as my fingers shrink a great deal when they''re cold. Also, I can''t imagine that the salt and sand would be good for them. I don''t know if it would hurt them, but it may scratch the metal at the least. I don''t know how keen I''d be on leaving them in a hotel room, though, either. I''m glad you asked this question. We are moving to the beach in May and I''d like to know what to do if I forget to leave my rings at home.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 10:37:31 AM
Author: albicocca
Eeeeek, that sounds scary!!! I would definitely NOT do it!!!!

My thought (just a thought since I''m not married yet) is that I''m going to get an extra plain platinum or wg band (my real wedding band has diamonds) to wear for situations like that where I don''t want to be completely ring-less for a week, but I don''t want to risk hurting my real rings either. I plan to get married with my diamond band and have that be my REAL wedding ring, but I don''t want to have to not wear a ring at all when I''m nervous about losing/hurting it! Would you consider buying a cheap white gold band just so you have ''a wedding ring'' on for those times, and don''t have to worry about your real rings? I''m just cringing thinking of your rings falling to the bottom of the ocean!!!! (Also, I feel like I heard somewhere that saltwater isn''t good for rings? I could be making that up though...)
You know that scene in Lord of the Rings (the Fellowship of the Rings one) where Isildur is in the river and he watches The One Ring slip off his finger and float away? That''s what I envision happening!

I do have a plain ring that technically is a wedding ring too, since the priest blessed it. I just can''t bear to be sans diamonds for 9 days though! Pretty silly, I know
20.gif
I just was wondering what the odds would be for it to fall off in the ocean...and whether it''s worth it to risk it.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 10:43:27 AM
Author: Logan Sapphire

I just can''t bear to be sans diamonds for 9 days though! Pretty silly, I know
20.gif
I just was wondering what the odds would be for it to fall off in the ocean...and whether it''s worth it to risk it.
Hehe, I don''t know that I would actually be able to leave my ring(s) home either!! That''s why it''s all theoretical at this point.
2.gif
I practically cried the day after I got engaged when I went skiing and had to leave my ring at home for all of 4 hours!!
39.gif

As for the ocean...it would NOT BE WORTH THE RISK TO ME!!! Maybe you could buy one of those fancy waterproof pouches for kayakers and whatnot, stick them in there and attach them to your bathing suit or something? Then you wouldn''t have to let them out of your sight, but you''d know they were safe... Let me see if I can find a pic of what I mean...here, something like this?

waterproofpouch.JPG

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
I would not do it. I have lost necklaces in the ocean before, and there appeared to be nothing wrong with the clasp, yet somehow the ocean managed to wrangle it from my neck. It''s just not worth it. At all.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t wear rings or earrings in the ocean (or in a swimming pool, for that matter). It''s too easy to lose them and they''ll get gunked up with sand.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Leave those rings at home girl! Would you rather be sans sparklies for 9 days... or for however long many weeks it takes you to have them replaced? If you''re worried about losing your plain band... maybe get a super cheap one from eBay? I think I''m going to get a couple of WG spares from there.

ScubaDucky

Rough_Rock
No! dont do it.

We were in hawaii last october, and DH was in the water for less than 5 minutes before his ring slipped right off!
7.gif
The group of us spent the next hour or so searching in the sand/water with no luck.. we even talked one of the "treasure hunters" close by to use her metal detector. no luck what so ever...

Once it''s off the finger,with the waves and the sand... it''s gone..

dani13

Ideal_Rock
LG-

Dont wear your rings on vacation- especially one where you will be so active swimming, snorkeling, etc. Get a plain wg one to wear, this way you wont have to obsess over whether your rings are still there on your hand and just enjoy yourself.

What part of Florida will you be going to? Let me know how the weather is- we are thinking of having a dest wedding in South Florida next May and I dont want it to be too hot!!!
emwink.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:30:28 AM
Author: Dani
LG-

Dont wear your rings on vacation- especially one where you will be so active swimming, snorkeling, etc. Get a plain wg one to wear, this way you wont have to obsess over whether your rings are still there on your hand and just enjoy yourself.

What part of Florida will you be going to? Let me know how the weather is- we are thinking of having a dest wedding in South Florida next May and I dont want it to be too hot!!!
emwink.gif
I saw that it''s supposed to be 84 in Miami today! We''re going to Disney, Sarasota, and then to the Keys. I used to live in FL, but that was 6 long years ago and I certainly didn''t have any nice jewelry to worry about in the water!

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty much just a "lurker" so far soaking up info. I''m the same way with my jewlery I don''t like to go without it on vacation. What about just buying a cheap CZ set thats somewhat close to yours (I know sacrilege) That way you would have something pretty to wear and it wouldn''t be a big deal if you lost it. I know that a plain band just doesn''t feel special when you dress up to go out for dinner etc.

R

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
NO WAY!! Leave it at home and have a special reunion when you get back. Maybe you can get your ring a brother or sister necklace. Teehee.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO! NO! NO! I know SO many people that lost important jewelry in large bodies of water. Much too risky!
23.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO, NO, NO!!!!! I wore my wedding set snorkeling a few years ago and it almost slipped off. I nearly had a stroke. I would leave them home. We use our in room safe with no probs. Too bad the place you''re staying doesn''t have one. Or maybe they just have a hotel safe?? I''d call and ask.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my rings in Tahiti, they were fine...no problems at all. But then again they weren''t loose and I have larger knuckles.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore my rings in Mexico, no problems for me either. But, I didn''t own a Michael B ring either
2.gif
Honestly, I''d hate to not be able to wear my rings on vacation. I''d probably be foolish and risk it
20.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 12:34:11 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I wore my rings in Mexico, no problems for me either. But, I didn''t own a Michael B ring either
2.gif
Honestly, I''d hate to not be able to wear my rings on vacation. I''d probably be foolish and risk it
20.gif

This is totally me too. I wouldn''t care about the risk, I would still wear it, I HATE not wearing my e-ring or rings!! Esp after I get the new upgrade, that thing is glued to my finger. I better be sure the insurance is good!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see the dilemma - but that''s kinda what insurance is for! I probably would NOT wear my rings out on the beach or in the water, but would take them with me on vacation.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Given the horror stories I''ve read, I might not want to wear them in the ocean. But I too would hate to have to go without them totally on vacation. I would probably try to find the safest place to put them. Maybe bring some kind of thing like albicocca suggested.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
that''s how I lost my original wedding band.
Right in the ocean.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 3:35:26 PM
Author: sevens one
that''s how I lost my original wedding band.
Right in the ocean.....
HI:

My husband too...but I''ve always worn mine without incident...guess there is always a first time...

cheers--Sharon

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, no way. Most of the time I spend in the ocean is diving and I would really beat up my rings wearing them while diving. Not to mention I''d be petrified of losing them. I usually leave them home or locked in the hotel safe.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always worn my rings into the ocean but then again my idea of "going into the ocean" is to make sure the water never gets higher than my thighs.
9.gif
I also have big knuckle syndrome so not much can get these babies off my finger.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
That''s a hard question... I would probably leave my ring at home and wear a cheap band, sad as this is.
4.gif
Not totally comfortable leaving the jewelry in the hotel safe or wearing while under water, so between those it''s a toss up.

One thing you could try is a ring guard. I''ve always heard of this but not sure exactly what it is. Probably any band that is REALLY tight that you can slip on over your rings would help.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
True story:

I know a girl who went on vacation with her fiance just a few months before her wedding.

She lost her engagement ring in the ocean.

She was so upset and her fiance so frustrated that for the next couple of months, they wouldn''t stop arguing, even over the smallest things. Eventually, they called the entire thing off.

Obviously, they were not meant to be, but still....precious jewelry does fall off in the ocean and when I read the title of this thread, I just had to share.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 10:33:45 AM
Author:Logan Sapphire
I''m going to FL in May and will be doing a lot of swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking while there. Yay! Anyway, I don''t think most, if any, of the places we''ll be staying will have safes, and I''m worried about my rings slipping off while in the ocean. I thought about wearing just the wedding ring, but the problem is that it''s too loose (can''t really size it at the moment either). I do have insurance, but losing my rings would still be very upsetting to me due to sentimental reasons and convenience. What have people done in the past, and what should I do?
Logan, you can never be too careful....I''ve heard that sharks are attracted to shiny objects....more about this at www.beachhunter.net/thingstoknow/sharks/index.htm apparently barracudas and sharks see the reflection and react the same as to a reflection off a shiny baitfish!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t. If they come off, they are gone for good...

I just returned from a big trip a few weeks ago., I hated to leave my sparkles at home, but once there, found no one else had theirs on either. I got used to wearing the band I took instead, and it was a treat to get to put them back on when I got home.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was first engaged, we went to Jamaica with a customer of my husband''s, and since I''d only had the ring for about a month I wore it, and I did wear it in the ocean, on the beach, you name it! It fit snugly, and I also have the big knuckle thing, so I wasn''t worried about it coming off. My only issue was that once I got out of the water, the stone had salt residue all over it and looked so cloudy in the sun! Not to mention that every time I put sunscreen on it became even more gunky looking! Nothing a shower at the end of the day didn''t fix, but still. I hated walking around with a dirty diamond, lol! Since then when we''ve had a beach vacation here and there, I''ve left my rings in the safe in our room. I think I would worry more having my rings thousands of miles away from me and something happening to them at our house than knowing they were a few minutes away in the hotel room. They''re insured, so even if they were stolen from the safe (I believe) they''d be covered. I don''t trust leaving them in our safe at home (it''s not bolted down so if someone really wanted they could take off with it) and I don''t trust our housesitter to consistently use the alarm system when he''s coming and going.
2.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I would say no to wearing them in the water. I know, I know! You never want to be parted from your sparklies AND they're insured... but to lose them would outweigh everything else.

Wearing them everywhere is one thing, but to wear them in water exponentially increases your chances of losing them.

It's like getting on a motorcycle. You don't want to tempt Fate TOO much!
emsmileo.gif

Would you rather say, "I missed my rings but when I was reunited with them at the hotel, it was even more special!" or "If only I had just left them in the hotel safe, I would see those sparklies again?"

I know mine are insured, but I've gotten SO attached! I feel like my diamond has such personality and I've never seen one sparkle so much. I want to keep this one forever! Even if I upgrade, I will keep this as a necklace or turn it into 1/2 of an earring set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results