shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you play football with a diamond earring?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1440384128|3918299 said:
One of those interesting things. Dez Bryant (Cowboy's wide receiver) lost his earring while in a fight with the Rams - at practice.

I'm just not sure I wear my diamonds to practice, but maybe I there is a need to 'bring the bling' that I simply don't understand.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ing-to-dez-bryant-after-fight-with-rams.html/

Nice job Miguel!

The article says it was the second time he's lost an earring playing, too!?! I guess he's "got it like that"!!!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I feel like it's much easier for them to replace it than for me to replace it lol!

I'm always shocked at the Olympic runners that run with giant hoop earrings and gold chains. When I was a swimmer, you wanted as little drag as possible. In a 100m dash it's not unheard of to think that running without giant jewelry could shave a precious hundredth or two off your time!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What, no PriceScope Prowlers?!

Here I was thinking, based on the subject header of your OP, Diamond Hawk, that -- spurred by the marketing discussion on the RT board -- you were looking to assemble a football (or soccer) team from among PSers willing to take to the field sporting diamonds, furnished by the sponsors, as part of the required uniform. Imagine my disappointment to read instead about Dez Bryant. Darn.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was imagining someone playing football with a massive diamond earring instead of a ball..... :lol:

Kind of surprised they're allowed to play wearing jewellery, must be a bit of an injury hazard, no?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its funny they allow it. In most soccer/football leagues, all jewelry must come off prior to the game. :confused:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're wearing a helmet, I'd assume there's much less chance of losing the earring, so it actually doesn't seem that weird to me that people would play with it. However I'm assuming the helmet came off once the fight started haha.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1440447940|3918650 said:
Its funny they allow it. In most soccer/football leagues, all jewelry must come off prior to the game. :confused:

And there is a very good reason for that, I had a friend who wore his stud during a game (not expensive, just a cheap one) and it got ripped out. His ear got stitched back together but it never quite looked the same :errrr:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have yet to see a rugby player with earrings on a pitch.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1440386524|3918316 said:
I feel like it's much easier for them to replace it than for me to replace it lol!

I'm always shocked at the Olympic runners that run with giant hoop earrings and gold chains. When I was a swimmer, you wanted as little drag as possible. In a 100m dash it's not unheard of to think that running without giant jewelry could shave a precious hundredth or two off your time!

I suppose that wearing some sort of bling (like big earrings, gold chains, etc.) sets you apart from the crowd and obviously gets you noticed, which probably explains why some of them choose to do it.
As far as the diamond earring and football, I guess that I can't say that I'm surprised. Sure, it's not the smartest thing to do (risking losing it or having it ripped out), but if someone chose to wear one, I don't have an opinion about it one way or the other.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I probably would. I wear my jewelry for everything else, I don't know why football should be any different.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I could write a Dr. Seuss book on where I would not wear diamond earrings, Sam I am. Not on a football pitch, not outside, not ever Sam I am. (I'd have to find them first of course.)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never heard of this player, so I found his photo on the internet.
Those are SOME diamond earrings. They look like at least 3 ct. each.
Kinda stupid to risk losing them like that. If they were mine, I would lovingly protect them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He wears a helmet and makes 70mill. I'd do it.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I imagine the jewelry is insured.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In most professional leagues, its prohibited because of the damage it can do to both the wearer, as well as others. Torn earlobes, badly cut necks (from gold chains), gashes requiring stitches from rings, etc.

Honestly, I didn't know that it was allowed in American football, but then again, I don't follow it so its not saying much!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1440476311|3918829 said:
In most professional leagues, its prohibited because of the damage it can do to both the wearer, as well as others. Torn earlobes, badly cut necks (from gold chains), gashes requiring stitches from rings, etc.

It wasn't an actual game, it was a joint practice session. I doubt the normal rules apply.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Honestly, I didn't know that it was allowed in American football, but then again, I don't follow it so its not saying much!

I don't see why people keep their jewelry on, it's really dangerous as far as getting ripped out. The worst jewelry/sport related incident I have seen was a wedding ring nearly rip all the skin and meat off a guy's finger to the bone at a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training session.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I totally read the title of this thread to mean someone playing with a diamond *as* a football. LOL that would have been some huge (and dangerous!) diamond hahaha. :lol:

I am someone who doesn't even shower or sleep with my jewelry let alone play sports wearing bling so no I would not wear any bling doing such physical activities such as football. When we are cycling all the bling comes off including my rings and earrings. My dh wears his simple platinum or gold wedding band but that's it for him. It doesn't seem comfortable to play sports with any jewelry on but that's me. To each his own and if someone is so rich as they can afford to lose their bling while wearing them playing football who is to judge. Let him enjoy (as long as it isn't dangerous that is). They wear helmets in football right? So is it dangerous to anyone else if he wears big earrings?

Does anyone watch the tv show Survivor? Many of the contestants wear their bling on that show and I always wonder isn't that dangerous in terms of losing it as they are competing in some pretty physical activities. Seems risky to me yet many of them wear the bling on that show including big hoop earrings and necklaces too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1440448664|3918662 said:
minousbijoux|1440447940|3918650 said:

And there is a very good reason for that, I had a friend who wore his stud during a game (not expensive, just a cheap one) and it got ripped out. His ear got stitched back together but it never quite looked the same :errrr:
Ugh, ow ow ow.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1440477678|3918838 said:

It wasn't an actual game, it was a joint practice session. I doubt the normal rules apply.

Oh, I see. That (unfortunately) makes more sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear jewellery whilst playing contact sports and in fact, I always have the students remove jewellery during martial arts class. Not because they might lose it, but because it might cause harm to themselves or others. This is also a rule in competitions, even though helmets are worn.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I remove all my jewelry the second I have to do anything physical. And certainly I would not wear it during high impact sports. Not only would I be worried about damaging the diamonds/setting but also the harm that could come to oneself and others by wearing bling during activities. Much potential for harm. Of course YMMV but that is my take on it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I remove all my jewelry the second I have to do anything physical. And certainly I would not wear it during high impact sports. Not only would I be worried about damaging the diamonds/setting but also the harm that could come to oneself and others by wearing bling during activities. Much potential for harm. Of course YMMV but that is my take on it.
Anything physical?? :wink2:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever since I saw my cousin have her hoop earring get half ripped through her earlobe (all the cousins were playing tag football or something similar) I couldn't wear hoop earrings for YEARS.
That would be a no for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results