shape
carat
color
clarity

would you let a friend borrow your jewelry for a special occasion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
of course not your e-ring.how about your other jewelry items?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I would let my sister and my best friend borrow anything other than my wedding and my 3 stone ring. Basically, anything that I wouldn''t be heartbroken to lose, they can use. My wedding and 3 stone ring are my most prized possessions both emotionally and materially and I would not be able to replace them if they were lost or stolen. So other than those two items. They can take their pick! Earrings, neckaces, other rings, clothes, furs, shoes, car... whatever it''s all good!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Maybe my fake stuff, but none of the real ones. why? because most of my jewelry is from my mom, and is irreplaceable to me. besides, i don''t even want to think about what might happen with my friendship if my jewelry is lost.
32.gif
sure, it''s just jewelry, but one can easily go to Nordstroms to get some fake bling if they really need decoration for a party.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I have one friend who wants to borrow jewelry/evening bags/dresses from me for every wedding she goes to, and there were two occasions in the past when I let her borrow some sterling silver earrings and they were never returned. They weren''t expensive, but it''s the principle, you know? I asked her a couple of years ago if she would return them, but I still haven''t seen them. I think she either lost them or let someone else borrow them and never got them back. When she asks now if she can borrow a dress or bag I let her, because she''s good about returning them, but not jewelry, no way!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I have let a friend borrow my diamond pear shaped necklace. She''s a responsible person, so I wasn''t too worried. I''ve never had anyone ask to borrow anything other than that one time. It seems awkward-I don''t think I''d ask a friend to let me wear something of theirs, just wouldn''t feel comfortable.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
no, I would not....call me selfish and stingy......I just couldnt becuz I would sit and worry constantly if they would lose it, break it (if breakable), etc...

I''m way too much of a worry wort to let my prized possesions out of my sight!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way. I don''t think it is worth losing a friendship over if the item was damaged or lost and especially as friends have borrowed things from me in the past and I have either had to ask for them back months later, or the item has been damaged, I won''t lend anything now. I hope I don''t sound like too much of an old Scrooge, but most of my friends wouldn''t be able to afford to reimburse me and I wouldn''t want to create a bad situation for myself or them. Gardening tools and such like are one thing, jewellery quite another!
6.gif

Good question DF, my American BF.
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it without even thinking. I lent a friend diamond jewelry to wear to a wedding. I didn''t even think about it. She was not a close friend and drinks too much, so I could have wound up sorry...but it must have been insured at the time. Now it isn''t and I keep it in a safe deposit box when I am not wearing it, so now I guess I wouldn''t!

The cost of insurance really adds up!!!

Deb
34.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes DF...that is a tough question!

Jewellery is very personal and usually very expensive.

Sorry if I sound mean, but the answer would have to be no
40.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the person...I have friends who know where my things are a can borrow them and just leave me a little note letting me know what they took. As long as I get things back I don’t mind.
I do have other friends whom I do care for very much but their lifestyle of overindulging in drink or going home with people makes it hard to lend them things because the risk factor goes up.
Now I cannot help but wonder if this question was prompted by another thread…
2.gif

koko

Shiny_Rock
I will let my niece wear my pearls in her wedding this June if she likes. Most of my pieces have sentimental as well as monetary value as they''ve been anniversary gifts, or gifts from my now deceased mother in law, etc. I will restrict my lending of jewelry to relatives for use in their (own!) weddings!!
13.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t offer it and hopefully they wouldn''t ask!! If they did then it would depend on the piece in question. Most of my expensive jewelry has great sentimental value i.e. my diamond and sapphire necklace used to be my engagement ring and my heart shaped diamond necklace was given by DH at a very signifcant event in our lives. The other nice pieces I have to loan would depend on which friend was asking. I have a couple who are very responsible and a couple who are not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking too, everyone must think I am awful
6.gif
, but besides trusting someone with my good jewellery, I don''t want anyone else wearing it. I don''t like it when people ask to try on my rings, I know they mean no harm, but what if they dropped it and it got damaged? I just don''t like the thought of anyone else wearing my jewellery and I know Hubby would flat out refuse to lend any to anyone, no matter how good a friend they were or family. He would say he worked hard to get these things for ME and our jewellery has great sentimental value to us both. Safer not to jeapoardise a friendship by not lending IMO, but I have had bad experiences with this and been taken advantage of, even when I have said I want this item back by such and such a date etc, it has often been months.

One time I lent a CB boombox to a friend a few years ago as her music system had broken. I lent it to her gladly on the understanding that as soon as they purchased a new one I wanted it back. They got a new one and I waited for mine to be offered back and they never did. About a year later, I still didn''t like to say anything, but went into her Husband''s office and there it was, all plugged in with CD''s in it! I was dumbfounded and said " oh yes, I will take that with me today," which I did. The friend didn''t look very happy about this! I just couldn''t believe they were using it all this time and had made no effort to return it, it wasn''t as if they had forgotten about it which could be understandable. That finished me with lending unfortunately, it isn''t worth the hassle
8.gif
The same couple also borrowed a chainsaw, didn''t tell us what they wanted it for, which was a job too much for the saw and broke it and tried to hide it by keep putting off returning it. No more!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I would let my friends or family borrow something (other than my ering) without much of a thought. I've also given away some jewelery (I gave one of my best friends who is working on her doctorate a pair of princess cut stud earrings after I got another a pair of round studs). I've got a fairly extensive purse collection, and I've often let my friends borrow whatever they want (come to think of it, I've also given that same friend a Prada bag when I got another that was similar)...

I guess my whole take on that "stuff" is that it is just stuff...and it makes me happy to let other folks use or have it. That having been said, other than my ering and my watch, I don't own a bunch of expensive jewelery...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have a best friend that I lend jewelry to. Once she broke a pearl choker of mine and had it fixed pronto. She has been very good about it. She also borrows some fakey stuff from me too. The really good stuff?? Nah I don''t lend that out.
2.gif

midgirl

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t let anyone borrow my jewelry, but I am young and don''t have that much.

Even cheap things that I purchased from different countries-that stuff means a lot to me so my answer is NO!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That would depend on the friend. I have a few friends who have an appreciation for nice jewelry, and if they asked, I would not hesitate to lend it out to them. Those I know who have no appreciation for the *good stuff* would never ask me anyway, so I''ll never have to tell them *Hell no.*
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 8:57:45 AM
Author: Matatora

It depends on the person...I have friends who know where my things are a can borrow them and just leave me a little note letting me know what they took. As long as I get things back I don’t mind.
I do have other friends whom I do care for very much but their lifestyle of overindulging in drink or going home with people makes it hard to lend them things because the risk factor goes up.

Now I cannot help but wonder if this question was prompted by another thread…
2.gif

yeah Mat
35.gif

when are you going to let me borrow that pendant.
31.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not. I don''t even let other people try it on or touch it. (One co-worker doesn''t speak to me any more because she kept trying to touch a pendant I was wearing and I kept backing away from her!)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 11:44:50 AM
Author: Lorelei
I was thinking too, everyone must think I am awful
6.gif
, but besides trusting someone with my good jewellery, I don''t want anyone else wearing it. I don''t like it when people ask to try on my rings, I know they mean no harm, but what if they dropped it and it got damaged? I just don''t like the thought of anyone else wearing my jewellery and I know Hubby would flat out refuse to lend any to anyone, no matter how good a friend they were or family. He would say he worked hard to get these things for ME and our jewellery has great sentimental value to us both. Safer not to jeapoardise a friendship by not lending IMO, but I have had bad experiences with this and been taken advantage of, even when I have said I want this item back by such and such a date etc, it has often been months.

One time I lent a CB boombox to a friend a few years ago as her music system had broken. I lent it to her gladly on the understanding that as soon as they purchased a new one I wanted it back. They got a new one and I waited for mine to be offered back and they never did. About a year later, I still didn''t like to say anything, but went into her Husband''s office and there it was, all plugged in with CD''s in it! I was dumbfounded and said '' oh yes, I will take that with me today,'' which I did. The friend didn''t look very happy about this! I just couldn''t believe they were using it all this time and had made no effort to return it, it wasn''t as if they had forgotten about it which could be understandable. That finished me with lending unfortunately, it isn''t worth the hassle
8.gif
The same couple also borrowed a chainsaw, didn''t tell us what they wanted it for, which was a job too much for the saw and broke it and tried to hide it by keep putting off returning it. No more!
Not at all my dear. I think that you have learned the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished.

I''m funny about things like this. I wouldn''t mind loaning clothes to someone I knew would take good care of the item in question. Not my jewelry ever. I have two or three perfumes that I love; and I HATE to wear the same thing as someone else. If someone is staying with me and wants to use some perfume, that''s fine. Ask first, so that I can be sure to put on a different scent than the one you choose. I HATE THAT!!! Sorry for the rant.

My mother had a pearl necklace, one perfect pearl that my father bought her. She wore it in her high school graduation pics. I wore it in mine. My younger sister wore it in hers. My baby sister lost it!
29.gif
She also lost my mother''s diamond studs. I would not let her borrow anything of mine now, and I love her.

shay

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I have no jewelery of value, except my e-ring and I'm not loaning that out to anyone.

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t let anyone borrow my irreplaceable jewelry (heirlooms, etc) or anything I''ve received from my boyfriend, but other jewelry I''m fine with letting my friends/family borrow because they''ve been very good about giving it back
1.gif

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
NO NO NO

I once let someone borrow an opal and diamond tennis bracelet that I have, since opal is her birthstone too, for a gala event she and her husband were going to on a Friday. When I saw her the following weekend, she "forgot" to bring it along. I started to mildly harass her for it, since it''s valuable. All of a sudden, I couldn''t reach her. Fast forward about 2-3 months later I found out she moved. I politely drove to her new house, she was shocked to se me at the door. I said nice place, blah, blah, blah, didn''t tell me you guys were moving, blah, blah, yeah I came to get my bracelet back. I heard the "oh, I totally forgot I had it..." crap.

Needless to say, we don''t speak anymore.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no im not a loaner for the most part, nor do i ask to borrow anything...there are too many ways to ruin an otherwise good friendship with forgetful people....if i do loan something like a sweater or similar, i pretty much expect not to get it back that way if i do i am pleasantly surprised!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I can''t really imagine a friend asking me if they could borrow something. I could see lending my mother or sister something if it went with what they were wearing to an event or something. But that''s it!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I really can''t see myself letting any of my friends borrow my jewelry. I mean if it was for their wedding or something I''d let them borrow some earrings or my diamond tennis bracelet but that''s about it. I''d have to make sure I got it back before leaving the reception though as some of my friends tend to borrow and not return thus my dilemma lol. My policy is always never lend out anything you expect to get back as most people will ''forget'' to return it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei,blodthecat
35.gif

i guess brit girls don''t like to share.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes, that''s a touch question...I think I would allow a friend to borrow an item up to the value of $1000 - over that might give me nightmares and sleepless nights! Of course there will have to be an agreement that if the item is damaged in any way that it would be replaced or fixed. Thinking about it just makes me cringe! I would however allow my mom to wear anything her heart desires....she once allowed me to wear her diamond ring to my high school prom. (MORE THAN 11 years ago!!!! ha ha ha)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results