shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you have dated your SO in high school?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The short answer: Heck NO.

My husband and I were talking about high school last night, and we both agreed that if we had met back then, there's NO WAY we would have dated. Honestly, if we had lived in the same town and had gone to the same high school, I think I would have avoided him. He probably would have thought I was a goody two-shoes. He HATED school and authority of any kind. He even went to an alternative high school for a while. The alternative school focused more on experiential learning rather than learning in more traditional ways. He and his friends dreamed of being in a rock/metal band and making it big. My husband's parents wanted their kids to be happy, but they never really had high expectations in terms of them going to college and furthering their education beyond HS.

While my husband rebelled in his own way, I was definitely on the straight and narrow. I didn't mind school. I liked the predictability of it and I loved some of the classes I took and experiences I had. I wasn't the best student in math or science but I worked hard. I liked going to parties with my friends, but we had just as much fun renting movies and staying home on a Friday night. Going to college was expected in my family. My parents didn't set super high (unrealistic) expectations, but they had higher expectations than my in-laws, as far as education went.

I can't even imagine my husband back then. He's so completely different now than what he was like in high school.

SCDP

Rough_Rock
I did!

We just celebrated our 9 year dating anniversary and are both 25 years old, though he was one year ahead of me in school. We were long distance for 4 years through college, and then I worked in his Graduate School city and now he is working in mine (Washington, DC). Fortunately both of our careers make DC the best place to be, so we are putting down roots.

Let me tell you, I think we have both changed a lot, and grown into adults, but somehow we have managed to do it together.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way Jose, he was wild (liked to party, had lots of girlfriends)! The girls were after him big time! He calmed down later in his late 20's when I met him. :bigsmile: I glad we met when we did. I was pretty mellow in high school, went to a few parties. I was not wild at all. lol

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Considering he would have been in 5th grade when I was a senior, the answer is "No!" :lol:

Nope! Well, probably not. He was a ladies man/ jock.. and I was artsy and a major introvert. Not sure our paths would have even crossed!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1323817360|3080846 said:
No way Jose, he was wild (liked to party, had lots of girlfriends)! The girls were after him big time! He calmed down later in his late 20's when I met him. :bigsmile: I glad we met when we did. I was pretty mellow in high school, went to a few parties. I was not wild at all. lol
oh c'mon ,stop lying... :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this question Zoe. We are seven years apart and lived in different states but if we were closer in age and had been in the same HS at the same time I know I would have wanted to date him. I always liked bad boys LOL and he was/is quite the handsome charmer. Not sure if he would have wanted to date me though...hmmmm, I'll have to ask him when he gets home from work about that.

Interestingly enough when I did meet him I totally thought so not my type but turns out I was so wrong! :cheeky:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I probably would have dated him, but he would NEVER have dated me! I was SUCH a nerd in high school. Think Sarah Jessica Parker in Square Pegs only add some gnarly braces as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really can't say. Probably not, though--I wouldn't give anyone the time of day when I was in high school. :bigsmile: But seriously, his high school self was likely light years ahead of mine in many ways and more sophisticated (from stories he's told me) so I don't think we would've have had much to do with each other even if we'd been the same age or gone to the same high school. He graduated a semester early and emancipated himself from his family well before the age of 18, he would've been WAY too grown up for me!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would have dated him. We were 19 and 21 when we met so not long out of high school. Both geeky and played sports, love to read, and somewhat shy. I have a type and he's it.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Define "date."

I was a bit of a floozie in high school and he was a hottie so................ :naughty:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Probably not!

We both had a lot of growing up to do and fortunately met when he was 29 and I was 32! That said, he was a dead-ringer for Harry Potter which was rather cute...

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Oh hell NO.

I was a pot smoking hippie. I only went out with pot smoking hippie guys. He was a Catholic high school student whose father made sure his hair was an appropriate length. {We didn't know each other} He has hilarious tales of his father giving all 5 boys buzz cuts in the basement.

It took me some time to realize {years later} what a great, reliable, kind, gentle, sentimental man he is.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
My dad would not let me date, so I wasn't dating anyone in high school.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't think so. DH was a nerd from what he tells me & I was, well, not bad, but experimental. I also got really good grades & he didn't. We didn't meet till I was 28 & he was 29 -- amazing what time will accomplish.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
It would have been totally inappropriate - he is 5 years younger, I was married and had a 4 year old when he graduated high school! :lol:

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Well, we're 5.5 years apart, so no because of the age thing, but if we had been in high school at the same time I would probably have been into it. As long as he ditched the owl glasses!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we met during college so it wasn't too long after high school, but we probably would not have dated in high school. He was on the wild side and I definitely was not! Fortunately I calmed him down over time! And we are about to have our 35th anniversary later this month!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming 35th DS!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travel Goddess|1323822093|3080935 said:
Define "date."

I was a bit of a floozie in high school and he was a hottie so................ :naughty:
go eat, see a movie but no sex... :wink2:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
We did!
We've been together for 7 1/2 years...just got married last month!

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Never. I have told him that a million times. I also would not have dated him if we met in college. He was way to outgoing in High School and I was way too shy. Then in college he had a wild side. I am happy I didn't even know him during that time. I am very happy we met when we did, we were both out of college and new what we wanted.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I would've! I wish I did--my HS boyfriend was a real jerk!

There's no age difference. Neither of us were particularly rebellious in HS. However, we probably would've broken up for one reason or another if we had gotten together that early, so I'm glad we didn't. =)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wish we dated in high school, I would've kept him on the straight and narrow.I heard he was a nerdy smart jock back then (so was I), and then in college he became a pot-smoking party animal!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way. I don't think so. We were in different social circles. He was in the marching band. I dated the football players lol

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely have wanted to date my husband! He's pretty terrific and I wish I'd known him all my life... But I'm happy with the 26 years I've "dated" him for so far! I think we are both very similar when I hear his stories. Popular enough in our own circles, not wild, decent enough grades... Wonder if he would have dated ME? :?:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm . . . no.

:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results