shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you have dated your SO in high school?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was eight when DH graduated from high school.

But even if we had been in HS at the same time, I don't think it would have happened. Have you seen the movie Along Came Polly? We fit those roles pretty well. I'm Polly, he's Reuben. I wasn't that interested in Rebens in high school.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
No,
He was 2 years younger and was a total badass ( lived a lifetime's worth of rebellion in grade 8 and 9) and them morphed into a total geek, I was a quiet outsider/loner, we lived in different cities. He would have been way too sketchy or way too geeky for me. He's become much cooler growing up.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
No, when he was in high school I was only 7. :cheeky:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely not!

When I was in high school he was working on his PhD and way too busy to date.

When he was in high school I was in primary school. In fact, when he went to university, I was still in primary school!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe...but he didn't have the mustache yet and WAS pretty skinny back then...

Met at 16, dated from 18-23(so yes, I was still in highschool at the start - he's a year older and was out),.....long "pause" to make mistakes with other people....back together at 35-36...another long pause because he was not-quite-bright still.....and finally got married at 45/46.

We're slow learners. ;))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1323858076|3081348 said:

Met at 16, dated from 18-23(so yes, I was still in highschool at the start - he's a year older and was out),.....long "pause" to make mistakes with other people....back together at 35-36...another long pause because he was not-quite-bright still.....and finally got married at 45/46.

We're slow learners. ;))

Awww, Karen, I think that is one of the more romantic love stories. After all, it's really not about who was your first love- it's who is your last(ing) love. :love:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1323858844|3081350 said:
ksinger|1323858076|3081348 said:

We're slow learners. ;))

Awww, Karen, I think that is one of the more romantic love stories. After all, it's really not about who was your first love- it's who is your last(ing) love. :love:

Well, there is not an overtly "romantic" bone in my boy's bod....BUT....a well of genuine deep feeling? Yeah, he's got that. I'll take that over roses any day. :) Besides, when we married, we got to go straight to "old comfortable married" with virtually no adjustment - God knows we'd both paid our dues already. Most people who don't know us, think we've been married for a long long time, and in some ways we have.

And he actually WAS my first love....aka "bungee boyfriend". ;))

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's funny how things change over time, isn't it? I know a few people who did date their now husbands in high school. It's funny to think that they've been together for over 20 years in some cases, and we're only in our late 30s. I met my husband a week before my 30th birthday and he was 31. We've been together for 8 years and I can't imagine what it would be like if we had met in HS and stayed together all this time. It seems like a lifetime!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would have definitely dated D in high school, or at least had a huge crush on him. I have always liked the super-smart dorky types...seriously, when I was five I told my father that I loved Macgyver because I thought he was so smart.

I don't know if D would have gone for me, I was a band geek in high school. D didn't go to high school, but he did play the piano and trombone in his teens, so in this little scenario maybe we would have met in band and a band geek romance would have blossomed. I assume we probably would have hit it off because we did meet when I was 18 (he was 19), we just weren't in high school.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure...I hung out with a group of athletic/academic types, and he was in a rock band and super involved in other music activities so not sure our paths would have crossed had we been the same age and grown up in the same area. Although my serious boyfriend in high school was also the band/theater type, so maybe that's just been my type all along... :lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and I sort of did. I've known him for 13 years. We met when I switched schools my senior year, and he was a junior. We had an English class together and similar groups of friends. We went on a sort-of date after I'd graduated during the summer, then fell out of contact for a while. After we were both done with undergrad, we started dating.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I would have dated him in a heartbeat in high school! But he was quite shy and absolutely terrified of girls, so it would have been more like me pining over him and doodling his name all over my notebook. He was just my type - tall, wore lots of black, listened to good music (AFI, Anti-Flag, all of that kind of neo-punk stuff), and is insanely funny. (He is just my type now, too - driven, funny, adventurous, caring...funny how that happens.)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I was an athletic teen in the 70s. Guys did not like athletic girls back then. My DH probably wouldn't have liked the fact that I could whoop his butt at sports.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did go to high school together. A really small private school. Our graduating class had 77 students in l977. In all four years we never even talked. Two totally different crowds. He was very quiet, shy and a great student. I was not. Years later we realized I had dated a friend of his and had written a 'Hi! D' on the edge of one. I had saved a lot of stuff in a scrap book. But that is as close as we came. I came back from my first year of college and went to church with a friend and he saw me in the foyer and was struck. I barely remember.
Anyway, it took him 6 months to ask me out, I was about to give up. I gave him one more week, in my mind, and that was it. He called me and asked me out that week.

He was so shy and quiet then, I had to do most of the talking. Now I can't shut him up. Just last night, we were going to bed and he was talking and talking. He said, "Okay, I will shut my pie hole now.". (I have been really sick for a few days) I shut off my light. He started another story and talked for another 5 minutes. He finished and I said, "Now shut the pie hole?" We both dissolved in laughter. Story of my life these days.

But boy am I glad I married him. Best decision I ever made.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think so.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would have dated him in a heartbeat, but I do not thing he would have dated me! I was kind of shy and awkward. I also would get HUGE crushes and everyone would know about it.. I'm sure it creeped boys out!

I've told him more than once that "High school Meg feels so cool right now."

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if we would have. We did go to the same high school but he was 4 years ahead of me, so already out when I was a freshman. We didn't meet until the end of my senior year, and didn't actually start dating until that Christmas. I don't think we would have, because of the age difference, but if we had been closer... I don't know. It took me months to agree to go out with him, as it was. I wish now that I would have quit dragging my feet, lol.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and I did!

ETA: It's funny a few months ago DH and I were discussing with a group of friends the opposite question, if we met each other now would we date? Lol, and we both said no! DH said he wouldn't have the nerve to ask me out, and he would want someone who aspired to be a stay at home and wife anyway. I said DH wouldn't be outgoing enough for me and he'd be too awkward, I feel awful writing that but DH can be quite awkward and he knows it! Good thing we met when we did.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No way.

Since he went to an all boys school, it would have been a tad difficult for me :bigsmile:

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH would have been a senior when I was a freshman, and I know he would not have dated a freshman. However, if we were both closer in age, it would have been a possibility. He was considered a bit more "loser" than I was - he got picked on at times. I never got picked on, but I pretty much got along with most people - so it could have happened. He was definitely cute back then too!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
not on your life.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had crushes on each other in middle school, but we went to different high schools. He was a linebacker in HS, I would have liked to see him in those days. :naughty:

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Yes,and actually we did.We met when we were both 16.He say he fell in love with me the moment he saw me,as for me,I knew right way he was different from everyone else and would be one of the most important person in my life(if not the most important).Guess I was right,lol.We talked sparsely for almost two years after that,then started dating at 18.He was already working in a bakery,but I was still in art school.We just had our 8 years anniversary last month :love:

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1323815675|3080824 said:
The short answer: Heck NO.

My husband and I were talking about high school last night, and we both agreed that if we had met back then, there's NO WAY we would have dated. Honestly, if we had lived in the same town and had gone to the same high school, I think I would have avoided him. He probably would have thought I was a goody two-shoes. He HATED school and authority of any kind. He even went to an alternative high school for a while. The alternative school focused more on experiential learning rather than learning in more traditional ways. He and his friends dreamed of being in a rock/metal band and making it big. My husband's parents wanted their kids to be happy, but they never really had high expectations in terms of them going to college and furthering their education beyond HS.

While my husband rebelled in his own way, I was definitely on the straight and narrow. I didn't mind school. I liked the predictability of it and I loved some of the classes I took and experiences I had. I wasn't the best student in math or science but I worked hard. I liked going to parties with my friends, but we had just as much fun renting movies and staying home on a Friday night. Going to college was expected in my family. My parents didn't set super high (unrealistic) expectations, but they had higher expectations than my in-laws, as far as education went.

I can't even imagine my husband back then. He's so completely different now than what he was like in high school.

My short answer = your short answer (Heck No!)

Hubby also was alternatively schooled whereas my family was all about what University are you going to - Not going to Uni wasnt even an option they could concieve of. His family were all about being happy and doing your own thing :lol:

When I first met hubby I was 31 & he was 37 and I thought he was the most obnoxious S.O.B I had ever met!!!! I cant even imagine how bad he would have been at 17!

LOL, I call him my little fungus cos he definately grew on me!!! 3 Years after we first met we actually got together and we are now coming up on our 12 year anniversary. Its definately all about timing :)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1323835928|3081211 said:
I was eight when DH graduated from high school.

But even if we had been in HS at the same time, I don't think it would have happened. Have you seen the movie Along Came Polly? We fit those roles pretty well. I'm Polly, he's Reuben. I wasn't that interested in Rebens in high school.

hahahaha! :lol: I'm a reuben like your hubs.

I would definitely NOT have dated my DH in high school - we were very different types of teenagers.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Oh heck no! In fact my DH and I met when I was 30, he was 27. If I'd met him before that I more than likely would have written him off instantly. He went to an all boys school (Catholic) and was super smart. I went to a run of the mill school in the middle of nowhere and was smart but far from studious. He was in every single sport, I was shy...and in chorus. Seriously, what was I thinking?! :lol:

As for after HS, I worked and went to a local CC, lived at home. He went off to college and learned what "boot and rally" means, then perfected it. :rolleyes: Meanwhile I was unhappily married and raising two kids, three if you count my ex! In short, I would have HATED him. :devil:

I'm very glad that I met my DH when I did!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did, lol. My husband and I have been together w/o ever breaking up since I was 15 and he was 16. We are 26 and 27 now and have been married about 3.5 years. He's still my high school sweetheart!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I did-we met when we were both in school and have never looked back and are together nearly 13 years now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results