shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst ring "compliment" ever

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
Reading all of your stories makes me crack up! People do say some silly things, especially when they have no idea what they''re talking about.

I have the same problem with many of my peers! I''m one of the first of my friends to become engaged, so few of them have any idea about diamond quality or what "size" means, so the comments are often vague such as "cute" or "pretty" or weakly expressed "wow"s that translate to confusion about not knowing how to comment on diamonds. Hehe. So for the most part, I just keep it to myself and try not to "flash" it too much
emteeth.gif

Besides, my ering is most important to me and my fiance. No one really needs to know the details
emotion-5.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 2:22:19 PM
Author: Mayflower25
Reading all of your stories makes me crack up! People do say some silly things, especially when they have no idea what they''re talking about.

I have the same problem with many of my peers! I''m one of the first of my friends to become engaged, so few of them have any idea about diamond quality or what ''size'' means, so the comments are often vague such as ''cute'' or ''pretty'' or weakly expressed ''wow''s that translate to confusion about not knowing how to comment on diamonds. Hehe. So for the most part, I just keep it to myself and try not to ''flash'' it too much
emteeth.gif

Besides, my ering is most important to me and my fiance. No one really needs to know the details
emotion-5.gif
Ditto, Mayflower...

At work yesterday I got, "Holy sh*t!", "You B*tch!" (meant in the nicest possible way, I can only assume,) and "What is that? At least a carat, right?"

Mine measures across like a 2.25-2.50, but now I just say, "Oh, I think it''s about 2 carats..." Nitwits, all of ''em!

What I wouldn''t give for a "Wow, I heard you were engaged! Congratulations!"

And what IS it with people asking how much it cost and/or what it appraised for??? They all know what a bargain hunter I am, and we DID get a great deal on the stone, but as far as I''m concerned, it''s none of their beeswax!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That comment about bright shiny NEW rings made me think of the movie the Jerk with Steve Martin where he is out to dinner with Bernadette Peters and they order wine. He takes a sip, looks at the bottle and screams, This is OLD wine! Bring us some NEW wine right now!" It is like looking at an antique and saying it should be polished up...how funny.

I also think ANYONE for the most part who uses the word CUTE to describe anything other than a child or pet or Polly Pocket toy is being NASTY. They think saying "CUTE" with a big phony smile covers it up, but it is not true. People like that I would just ignore, they are snarky and do not deserve attention.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

I was at a bridal show and a woman working there spotted my ring from far away and called me over to her table. When I showed her my hand she said “oh, it looked much bigger from far away”.

Uh – thanks?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 7:51:37 AM
Author: treysar

I was at a bridal show and a woman working there spotted my ring from far away and called me over to her table. When I showed her my hand she said “oh, it looked much bigger from far away”.

Uh – thanks?
Oh, brother!!!
20.gif
Whatta dolt; that woman is an idiot!
I can see how your gorgeous halo would make your diamond look beyond-GINORMOUS from "across the room"... but when she saw it close-up, how about a sincere, "Oh, it''s BEAUTIFUL!" (which it is!
30.gif
)
Dumb-bells, most of ''em!!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 3:22:48 AM
Author: Harleigh
Ditto, Mayflower...

At work yesterday I got, ''Holy sh*t!'', ''You B*tch!'' (meant in the nicest possible way, I can only assume,) and ''What is that? At least a carat, right?''

Mine measures across like a 2.25-2.50, but now I just say, ''Oh, I think it''s about 2 carats...'' Nitwits, all of ''em!

What I wouldn''t give for a ''Wow, I heard you were engaged! Congratulations!''

And what IS it with people asking how much it cost and/or what it appraised for??? They all know what a bargain hunter I am, and we DID get a great deal on the stone, but as far as I''m concerned, it''s none of their beeswax!!!
yikes2.gif

I can see MY stone getting that, but yours??? Some people just don''t have a clue, in more ways than one....

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Just a few hours after I got engaged, we went to visit a few friends who were at a favorite hangout of ours - We told them all the we were engaged - got cheers and claps...then one friend, who is not always so tactful asked to see the ring.

I showed her my stunning 1.02 rb stone with a pave band and she said "It''s beautiful! But my fingers would be too big for that - i''d need something bigger"

Whatever....I adore my ring and could never imagine anything else on my finger
30.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I just love your emoticons, Ellen! I feel better already!

Thanks for a nice start to the day, and BTW, I don''t think your ring is ANYTHING to sneeze at, either...it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
3.gif

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
This is a fabulous thread and I have read the whole thing! I can honestly say to each and every one of you that people are clueless when it comes to this sort of thing: all of you have gorgeous pieces!!!

I received a "compliment" a couple of people have already mentioned: "Oh, it''s very cute!"

I''m sorry, but a young lady''s 16th birthday birthstone ring is "cute," not anyone''s engagement ring, no matter what the size. People just don''t think before they talk. And, even if the comments are malicious, YOU know that your pieces are lovely.

And, yeah, people have no concept of size. I think that, most of the time, people say "at least 1 carat" because they know that 1 carat is "big" and they want to acknowledge that you have a nice, large stone. No slight intended.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 10:39:48 AM
Author: Harleigh
I just love your emoticons, Ellen! I feel better already!

Thanks for a nice start to the day, and BTW, I don''t think your ring is ANYTHING to sneeze at, either...it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
3.gif
Thanks Harleigh.
2.gif

I just think mines close enough to a carat for some people to mistake, but I don''t care how "diamond ignorant" someone is, you CAN''T mistake yours for one.
lol.gif

Not that there''s anything wrong with that.
2.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
LOL Ellen!

I was in a store today and a teenage salesclerk asked to see my ring, then asked what my stone was...I said, "Um, a diamond?" She then said, "Oh, that''s cute."

I almost busted a gut after all these posts...I just rolled my eyes and said, "Uh, gee, thanks...I like it."
20.gif

Aye, yay, yay!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good grief, what is it with this "cute" word??!

I had something funny happen, not a compliment though. I was out with some friends the other night, and one of their sisters was with them. She saw my ring and actually gushed about how beautiful it was. Then she said, What cut is it?
lol.gif

I'm "guessing", as a round it didn't look quite right to her, because you don't see hearts and arrow stones around here...I hope that was it anyway. I know we midwesterners are the last to know a lot of things, but geeez.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results