shape
carat
color
clarity

Wine site that tells you want to drink now/save for later?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A client of mine was telling me about a wine website where you can put in your wine inventory (I think you can even use the actual barcodes from the bottles) and it will tell you what is good to drink now, what to save for future years, etc. For the life of me I can't recall what it was (maybe because I've given up the pain meds in lieu of... um... WINE! ).

Another challenge is that I don't have a smart phone (loyal crackberry user here ) so I can't scan in the codes, but she said I can type in the bar code numbers and get the same result. Or maybe I am supposed to just type in the wine info and it will get me to the right info...?

Anyway, I hate to accidentally slug down a great bottle with some Thursday night pork chops off the grill when I should have just gone for the $9.99 Costco special!

Any ideas?

P.S. - I accidentally posted this in the wrong place, so I'm starting the thread here in Hangout now.

P.P.S. - Enerchi - the boyfriend is looking at downloading at ap on his phone right now. I'll let you know if it works out!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Wine site that tells you want to drink now/save for late

From the other thread:
I don't know of that website, but am also eager to learn of it. That sounds like a great program tho.

We can't buy wine at Costco, here in Ontario. Liquor Control Board of Ontario has the market on alcohol pretty much locked up.

VINGO is the app DH has on his iPhone (ontario based) and it scans bar codes, gives you prices at the LCBO and tasting notes. We've used it a lot... but won't work if you aren't here in Ontario.

just an FYI - wine consumption is highly recommended for post kidney stone recovery! ;)) :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1334279977|3169791 said:
From the other thread:
I don't know of that website, but am also eager to learn of it. That sounds like a great program tho.

We can't buy wine at Costco, here in Ontario. Liquor Control Board of Ontario has the market on alcohol pretty much locked up.

VINGO is the app DH has on his iPhone (ontario based) and it scans bar codes, gives you prices at the LCBO and tasting notes. We've used it a lot... but won't work if you aren't here in Ontario.

just an FYI - wine consumption is highly recommended for post kidney stone recovery! ;)) :lol:

If it's any consolation, we've moved on to the herniated disc theory, so I don't feel quite so bad about what I'm doing to my kidney right now! :tongue:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

LOL!!! Well, that was also in the medical dictionary I consulted, so good thing you have that as well - wow - you are perfectly in line to be fully treated with a medicinal dose of wine. Who knew??? :wink2:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just for fun I entered the Trader Joe's brand, Charles Shaw, aka 2-Buck Chuck because in California it costs only $1.99 a bottle.
I loved some of the comments on various varieties and vintages of Two-Buck Chucks . . .

-Tasted by Killroyce on 2/24/2012 & rated 80 points: Tastes less like vinegar and antifreeze than I remember. You could put this in a decanter and fool most people into thinking it was a ten buck wine.

-Tasted by rloomis on 1/30/2004: funny spinach smell and iron taste -- nope! don't do it!

-Tasted by brombie on 1/18/2009 & rated 70 points: Has that musky, sweaty nose commonly found in other Charles Shaw wines.You can definitely tell it's wine, but I can't think whom I'd serve this to.

-Tasted by branman1986 on 5/9/2009 & rated 82 points: Actually not horrible.

-Tasted by pmarin on 4/19/2007: Really don't know how you can call this wine. I could Whine some more. But Wine, it's not.

-Tasted by Robo148 on 10/24/2010 & rated 79 points: Each bottle tastes worse than the last.

-Tasted by MountainMak on 11/16/2008: great for the in-laws

-Tasted by tourette on 11/26/2009 & rated 69 points: Candied weird ham, flaccid penis, bright red berry nose, aftertaste of death. I've rather enjoyed other bottles/vintages of 2 buck chuck. But this particular one is pretty nasty. Thanks to the drunken state of the party, it will still be drank.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow --- that just sounds like a fabulous wine, Kenny!!! :lol:

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1334301123|3169982 said:
Just for fun I entered the Trader Joe's brand, Charles Shaw, aka 2-Buck Chuck because in California it costs only $1.99 a bottle.
I loved some of the comments on various varieties and vintages of Two-Buck Chucks . . .

-Tasted by Killroyce on 2/24/2012 & rated 80 points: Tastes less like vinegar and antifreeze than I remember. You could put this in a decanter and fool most people into thinking it was a ten buck wine.

-Tasted by rloomis on 1/30/2004: funny spinach smell and iron taste -- nope! don't do it!

-Tasted by brombie on 1/18/2009 & rated 70 points: Has that musky, sweaty nose commonly found in other Charles Shaw wines.You can definitely tell it's wine, but I can't think whom I'd serve this to.

-Tasted by branman1986 on 5/9/2009 & rated 82 points: Actually not horrible.

-Tasted by pmarin on 4/19/2007: Really don't know how you can call this wine. I could Whine some more. But Wine, it's not.

-Tasted by Robo148 on 10/24/2010 & rated 79 points: Each bottle tastes worse than the last.

-Tasted by MountainMak on 11/16/2008: great for the in-laws

-Tasted by tourette on 11/26/2009 & rated 69 points: Candied weird ham, flaccid penis, bright red berry nose, aftertaste of death. I've rather enjoyed other bottles/vintages of 2 buck chuck. But this particular one is pretty nasty. Thanks to the drunken state of the party, it will still be drank.

Those are hilarious! This comic artist Michael Dougan has a comic story called Opportunity Jones where two coffee tasters are swigging the coffee for tasting notes and the descriptions and disagreements are getting more and more over the top. I'd quote it but it's probably copywrited.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kenny--Those reviews make me kind of proud to shop at Trader Joe's. :cheeky: Hilarious.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hahahaha.

Not all of the Charles Shaw reviews were that bad.
There are some neutral and even some positive reviews, especially when taking into account the rock-bottom price.

I didn't post any of the positive reviews; I'm just a low-brow guy going for cheap yucks. :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MZ -- that's it!!! Thank you!!!

Kenny - LOL! Two of my favorite (translation: most consumed :cheeky: ) whites come from TJ's right now. They have a lightly sparkling pino grigio. (It's almost wrong to use the word "sparkling"--it's just a tiny bit effervescent), and I just last month found TJ brand unoaked chardonnay. And lest anyone think I am *cheap*, please let it be known these two wines are both FOUR ninety-nine a bottle! :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dee Jay - you are WILD AND CRAZY with how you throw away your cash!!! $4.99 / bottle??? Woman - settle down - that's just insanity ;)) :lol: :lol: :lol:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

I posted on the other thread about cellartracker before it got eaten, sorry about that! Also, you can use the Cor.kz app if you have an iphone or android for easy scanning.

Have fun! :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Ok, people wait to drink their wine..... :confused:

....moreover people ask OTHER people when to drink their wine?....where does it all end???? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1334348093|3170415 said:
Dee Jay - you are WILD AND CRAZY with how you throw away your cash!!! $4.99 / bottle??? Woman - settle down - that's just insanity ;)) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know! I'm ashamed to admit my current favorite reds (Zolo Malbec and Luli Pinot Noir) are of the exorbitant prices of $9.99 and $19.99/bottle respectively. At the rate I'm going I'm going to need to sell The Brick to finish paving my way to Betty Ford!

Tammy -- thank you so much for that site. I'm going to check it out right now!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1334369674|3170645 said:
HI:

....moreover people ask OTHER people when to drink their wine?....where does it all end???? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

It ends when the bottle is empty... ;( But then you just open another one and start all over again! ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some wines taste best if they are allowed to age in the bottle a certain amount of time.
Such websites really are wonderful for the many people who care about that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1334370003|3170654 said:

Some wines taste best if they are allowed to age in the bottle a certain amount of time.
Such websites really are wonderful for the many people who care about that.

Huh? :bigsmile: (of course you are preaching to the crowd....)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay|1334369695|3170647 said:
Enerchi|1334348093|3170415 said:

I know! I'm ashamed to admit my current favorite reds (Zolo Malbec and Luli Pinot Noir) are of the exorbitant prices of $9.99 and $19.99/bottle respectively. At the rate I'm going I'm going to need to sell The Brick to finish paving my way to Betty Ford!

DeeJay, did you just make this up? :saint: :devil: :halo: :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for this thread Dee Jay.
While I love nice wine I NEVER buy it; I'm a tightwad in most every area of my life.

Almost 10 years ago someone gave me what they told me was a good 2001 red; I left in my basement and forgot about it till this thread.
I just went down and dusted it off.
I just looked it up and it now sells for up to 75 bucks a bottle.
I'm used to Two-Buck Chuck so this is like a million dollar wine to this wine slob.

The window to drink it WAS 2008 - 2011 so I'd better get chugging.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny - if you would like to bring that lovely little bottle to Vegas in a few weeks I will be more than happy to share it with you my dear friend, because one should never drink alone (unless there is no one else around, in which case it's OK to do so). :bigsmile:

Sharon - as appaling as it may be, those are indeed my current "go tos." However I am committed to figuring out how to work this damn website and inputting my *inventory*. (What a great word -- *inventory* -- and all this time I've just been thinking of it as just those bottles in the downstairs closet that we paid a fortune to buy a stacking structure for and that collect dust... *inventory*!) And then we shall see what the proper thing is to enjoy with that left over cold pizza or hot dogs off the grill!

(BTW, lest any of you think I am crazy, I really do have some decent wine in the house. And you are all welcome to come over and enjoy it with me.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sharon - as appaling as it may be, those are indeed my current "go tos." However I am committed to figuring out how to work this damn website and inputting my *inventory*. (What a great word -- *inventory* -- and all this time I've just been thinking of it as just those bottles in the downstairs closet that we paid a fortune to buy a stacking structure for and that collect dust... *inventory*!) And then we shall see what the proper thing is to enjoy with that left over cold pizza or hot dogs off the grill!

Sorry DeeJay--it was a joke. Didn't translate very well online.

cheers--Sharon

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you get Niagara on the Lake, Canadian wines, in any of your stores in the US? Just sampled Hillebrand Wineries, TRIUS brand, Cab Sauv 2010. Very nice - oaky, vanilla on the palate, low tanins, smooth finish. It can be cellared for another 5 years or drink now. In Canada, retails for $!4.95 at the LCBO. Wow - that's a whole $5 above our regular price point! :lol: ;)) :lol: ;))

Recommend it - goes well with cheese, bread and dipping oils, fruit slices... and hockey. Who knew?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1334449021|3171208 said:
Can you get Niagara on the Lake, Canadian wines, in any of your stores in the US? Just sampled Hillebrand Wineries, TRIUS brand, Cab Sauv 2010. Very nice - oaky, vanilla on the palate, low tanins, smooth finish. It can be cellared for another 5 years or drink now. In Canada, retails for $!4.95 at the LCBO. Wow - that's a whole $5 above our regular price point! :lol: ;)) :lol: ;))

Recommend it - goes well with cheese, bread and dipping oils, fruit slices... and hockey. Who knew?

As much as I love anything local and Canadian, I would never, ever recommend a Canadian red! To be absolutely blunt, they SUCK. I will recommend whites, as I think we make delicious Rieslings. But with all the other wonderful countries in the world that make reds, ours are just plain crap in comparison.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1334416381|3170886 said:

Sorry DeeJay--it was a joke. Didn't translate very well online.

cheers--Sharon

Sharon -- Hon, was not AT ALL offended!

Kama and Enerchi - have never explored the universe of Canadian wines, but am certainly willing to try! What is LCBO though? :confused:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

LCBO - Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

We can not purchase alcohol at the grocery store as in many of the states can, nor are there independant liquor stores with competitive pricing. There are a few wine kiosks in certain retail locations - but their prices are all determined by the LCBO, as are the wineries. The individual wineries can not set their own prices.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is what I was going to ask to - you save wine? :bigsmile:

Kenny those reviews are hysterical. My inlaws buy 2 Buck chuck. Luckily when we visited me last year DH and I went out to buy the wine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results