shape
carat
color
clarity

Will antique jewelry appreciate in value?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since PS, I have amassed a little collection of antique jewelry. I didn't plan to. It just happened. The bug bit me. My last acquisition has left me feeling very satisfied and I see myself wearing it all the time. In fact, I think I could live without my other pieces and am contemplating selling them to stash some emergency bling money bc I can pretty much break even right now. My hubby is of a different mindset and thinks that bc these pieces are rare, they will go up in value. I'm curious to hear what you all think.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends what it is. Most good quality diamonds, and coloured stones increase over certain (long) periods of time. Antiques have become increasingly popular over time that is true.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I know this was not really your question but personally I never count on any of my jewelry appreciating in value and just buy what I love. I don't plan on making any money from it nor do I even plan on getting my money back should I have to sell (though that would be nice to break even if possible) rather I just buy what I love and want to wear. That's the only thing that I take as a given re appreciating. That I will appreciate and enjoy wearing it for as long as I can.

Having said that if you buy certain brands then you can probably hold on to its value better and even appreciate in value perhaps over non well known name brands. Cartier, Winston, Bulgari, Graff, Van Cleef and Arpels, etc. Those name brands.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1429273092|3863443 said:
Nala, I know this was not really your question but personally I never count on any of my jewelry appreciating in value and just buy what I love. I don't plan on making any money from it nor do I even plan on getting my money back should I have to sell (though that would be nice to break even if possible) rather I just buy what I love and want to wear. That's the only thing that I take as a given re appreciating. That I will appreciate and enjoy wearing it for as long as I can.

Having said that if you buy certain brands then you can probably hold on to its value better and even appreciate in value perhaps over non well known name brands. Cartier, Winston, Bulgari, Graff, Van Cleef and Arpels, etc. Those name brands.

There is also a cyclical element - ornate, flowing, geometric, etc, styles come and go. If you buy at the peak of a trend, recouping will be harder. If you bought cheap because a certain style isn't appreciated right now, it may appreciate as the styles cycle around.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Wall Street Journal did a comprehensive study of diamonds and colored gemstones since the 1970s. It's on their website or it used to be. Barry Bridgestock and I got a chuckle out of it.

If you bought sapphires and spinel, your money increased about 700% (not a typo).

If you have antique pieces by luxury jewelers like Cartier, Buccellati, David Webb, Verdura, Winston that's good too.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1429273092|3863443 said:

Missy, I completely agree with you. I didn't set out to buy these pieces to make money. I just slowly became an addict and sought out Edwardian style rings, always searching for the ONE RHR. As to their value right now, I can actually recover all my costs because I bought them estate. It's my hubby who thinks that they have the potential to become more valuable because they are becoming so rare.

laurajune81

Rough_Rock
Hi Nala - I just stumbled across this post (I see it was from a couple years ago) and am curious what you have decided/determined since then. I have been wondering the very same thing myself. I have accidentally amassed quite a collection of deco/edwardian rings and other pieces over the last few years. Some days I feel like I could let half of them go, but they are so fun! I don't expect them to increase astronomically in value or anything, but I have been curious what other people think about how well antique jewelry will hold its value in the future. Thanks for your input if you have time!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, Just something to think about... Please be absolutely certain you are good with your decision before parting with a piece. Many of these beautiful old pieces would be very hard to come across again. It's easy to replace a simple setting piece of jewelry if you find two years down the line you miss it. Once these antique pieces are gone you need to be ok with knowing you will probably not find another piece exactly like it. Heck you may not find something that comes close.

Can you tell I'm a lover of antique jewelry?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry Nala! Here I am posting a novel and the thread is two years old. LOL

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala - I just stumbled across this post (I see it was from a couple years ago) and am curious what you have decided/determined since then. I have been wondering the very same thing myself. I have accidentally amassed quite a collection of deco/edwardian rings and other pieces over the last few years. Some days I feel like I could let half of them go, but they are so fun! I don't expect them to increase astronomically in value or anything, but I have been curious what other people think about how well antique jewelry will hold its value in the future. Thanks for your input if you have time!
Hi! What can I say. I never did sell my pieces. I held on to them and still have the pleasure of enjoying them. I'm pretty sure I could sell them for what I paid but I'm also sure that I could never find them again, much less at the prices I paid for them. I think that in that sense, they have appreciated in value, or I just lucked out and found good deals. Hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results