shape
carat
color
clarity

Why? Oh why do I even read it?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pseudo science is something that really irks me. I don't know if I get more irritated by the theories that twist anything a real, well known scientist said to fit their views or the ones that ignore the last few centuries of scientific development.

So why, oh why, did someone I hold dear send me the link to http://www.geocentrism.com? And why in the name of creation did I bother reading it? Now I am all worked up on all the very basic errors on that site and I have no one to rant to.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is very, very evil. And the worst thing is that I just have to read it. How do they explain Magellan's Voyage, space pictures, the ship's mast phenomena?

Here I go again.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314654828|3004828 said:
That is very, very evil. And the worst thing is that I just have to read it. How do they explain Magellan's Voyage, space pictures, the ship's mast phenomena?

Here I go again.

Easy-those are all just theories! Totally unproven! Maybe a giant sea monster causes them! And come on-everyone knows the moon landing was fake. :rolleyes:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, I am just going to close the tab and walk away. Crying, but I will walk away.

Michelson and Morley, then Einstein and Poincaré, were wrong with the light theory. Their physics were just biased by wrongly done experiments and dubious knowledge teached by corrupted universities financed by governments.

They said that the light has a constant speed, which is FALSE.

What happens is that light SLOWS DOWN when the sun circles around our flat earth, so it gives a feeling of "sunset" due to light's nature.

When the sun rise is just that light speeds up again.

At maximum speed, light is full day.

At lowest speed, it's night.

But Dancing Fire will be very happy to see that there is a Flat Earth watch, showing the sun moving around the north pole. A bargain at $118,000.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Demoralising isn't it!

I think the truth is that it can be hard for some people to understand complex concepts.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah sometimes it's best to just pretend people who actually believe the earth is flat don't exist. Although pretending is getting harder and harder lately, mainly due to the current crop of GOP candidates. But what do I know? I'm just one of those intellectual elites who believes in facts and logic! ;))

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1314658614|3004866 said:
But what do I know? I'm just one of those intellectual elites who believes in facts and logic! ;))
Poor Thing, you're clearly brainwashed by all that "science" and "evidence" crap :lol:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1314657522|3004857 said:
Ok, I am just going to close the tab and walk away. Crying, but I will walk away.

Michelson and Morley, then Einstein and Poincaré, were wrong with the light theory. Their physics were just biased by wrongly done experiments and dubious knowledge teached by corrupted universities financed by governments.

What happens is that light SLOWS DOWN when the sun circles around our flat earth, so it gives a feeling of "sunset" due to light's nature.

But Dancing Fire will be very happy to see that there is a Flat Earth watch, showing the sun moving around the north pole. A bargain at $118,000.

Now what's REAL fun is to read the Dover, PA ruling and the actual testimony of the people who tried to ram I.D. (aka - creaky old garden-variety creationism of course) down the throat of the school system there. A more dishonest, ignorant, expedient (read: NOT living by any ethics, let alone so-called "Christian" ones), and sanctimonious group of folks you've not seen. Highly entertaining. And not a little pathetic. Scary though, when you live where I do. Out here the (willful) ignorance is just staggering. Not quite to flat-earth levels certainly, but the majority HERE would "teach the controversy" if they could. The fact that no "controversy" exists outside of their own ignorance doesn't matter much to them. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it too much. It'll shorten your life. Just try to make sure such tripe stays out of your schools and teach your children the difference between empircal reality and how they FEEEEEEL about it. That's really all anyone can do.

Remember though, gravity is JUST a theory too. ;))

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1314655667|3004835 said:
Lady_Disdain|1314654828|3004828 said:

Here I go again.

Easy-those are all just theories! Totally unproven! Maybe a giant sea monster causes them! And come on-everyone knows the moon landing was fake. :rolleyes:

Gosh, I can't believe how wrong you are! Spaghetti Monster not sea monster... geez :nono:

http://www.venganza.org/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah sometimes it's best to just pretend people who actually believe the earth is flat don't exist. Although pretending is getting harder and harder lately, mainly due to the current crop of GOP candidates. But what do I know? I'm just one of those intellectual elites who believes in facts and logic! ;))
thing2...you don't know DIDDLY :!: ... :tongue:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1314659087|3004874 said:
But what do I know? I'm just one of those intellectual elites who believes in facts and logic! ;))
Poor Thing, you're clearly brainwashed by all that "science" and "evidence" crap :lol:

I know, that's what intelligence and education will do for you. My parents should have just home schooled me and saved me from it. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Might not have helped, Thing. Similar stuff to KSinger's here -- and LOTS of homeschooling to teach it. Some homeschooling-mom neighbors were talking a bit ago. One asked, "Where are you in history right now?" "We're up to the Annunciation." Oh. :shock:

Ah well, it's all good for a laff.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314653397|3004806 said:
Now I am all worked up on all the very basic errors on that site and I have no one to rant to.

I love your title! It happens so very often that I can't read things on the internet, especially politics and current events stuff, without just upsetting myself with all of the lies, agendas, lack of journalistic ethics, and downright shills I have to sift through every time I read the so called news. And, yeah, forget about me watching actual so called news shows. I think, like Elvis, I'd have to shoot the television.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1314660267|3004889 said:

I know, that's what intelligence and education will do for you. My parents should have just home schooled me and saved me from it. :cheeky:

And saved a lot of money as well. Can you imagine how much lower taxes would be if they didn't have to fund the educational system? And no more saving for college either.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1314660753|3004896 said:
Might not have helped, Thing. Similar stuff to KSinger's here -- and LOTS of homeschooling to teach it. Some homeschooling-mom neighbors were talking a bit ago. One asked, "Where are you in history right now?" "We're up to the Annunciation." Oh. :shock:

Ah well, it's all good for a laff.

SNORT. A sad, horrified laff. :-o

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314661323|3004903 said:
thing2of2|1314660267|3004889 said:

And saved a lot of money as well. Can you imagine how much lower taxes would be if they didn't have to fund the educational system? And no more saving for college either.

I mean everyone knows a good education isn't the way to make money-we just need more tax cuts to get richer!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1314661257|3004902 said:
Now I am all worked up on all the very basic errors on that site and I have no one to rant to.

I love your title! It happens so very often that I can't read things on the internet, especially politics and current events stuff, without just upsetting myself with all of the lies, agendas, lack of journalistic ethics, and downright shills I have to sift through every time I read the so called news. And, yeah, forget about me watching actual so called news shows. I think, like Elvis, I'd have to shoot the television.

DITTO.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

:lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A while ago, I was sent a link to a revisionist history site (yes, my friends all love me) which states that all history is bogus and everything happened in the last 500 years. For example, Jesus Christ was crucified in 1715 in Constantinople and Trojans witnessed it (I am not making this up), Switzerland had no inhabitants before the 18th century and Rubens and the Pompeii eruption were contemporaries.

This amazes me because of all the evidence that is out there. If someone decided to hoax the entire world and create a faux timeline, the amount of material created would have to be huge. I mean, living memory is around 80-100 years old. Then we have all the libraries and document collections. And photos go back to the mid 19th century. Buildings, objects, archeological sites, etc. It is too huge to be possible. So where does this theory sprout from and why do people believe it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="thing2of2|
I mean everyone knows a good education isn't the way to make money-we just need more tax cuts to get richer![/quote]

i don't need a good education or a job since i'm receiving entitlements from our government every month... :praise:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pseudo science is something that really irks me. I don't know if I get more irritated by the theories that twist anything a real, well known scientist said to fit their views or the ones that ignore the last few centuries of scientific development.

So why, oh why, did someone I hold dear send me the link to http://www.geocentrism.com? And why in the name of creation did I bother reading it? Now I am all worked up on all the very basic errors on that site and I have no one to rant to.

Lies, all lies! The earth is not the center of the universe, I'M the CENTER of the UNIVERSE! Well, my perspective, anyways.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1314662323|3004918 said:
A while ago, I was sent a link to a revisionist history site (yes, my friends all love me) which states that all history is bogus and everything happened in the last 500 years. For example, Jesus Christ was crucified in 1715 in Constantinople and Trojans witnessed it (I am not making this up), Switzerland had no inhabitants before the 18th century and Rubens and the Pompeii eruption were contemporaries.

This amazes me because of all the evidence that is out there. If someone decided to hoax the entire world and create a faux timeline, the amount of material created would have to be huge. I mean, living memory is around 80-100 years old. Then we have all the libraries and document collections. And photos go back to the mid 19th century. Buildings, objects, archeological sites, etc. It is too huge to be possible. So where does this theory sprout from and why do people believe it?

There are quite a few reasons, but I think the reason you see this the most is simply because the pace of change in today's world is just too too TOO fast for many people to adapt to. I know, I know, the world has never stood still, but the pace of the change is very very disquieting to many people. Heck it's disquieting to ME, although I haven't retreated to fantasy-land just yet.

Too much change too fast results in people yearning for something more definite, for solid ground to stand on. It's why so many conservatives limn the 50's (in particular, although other eras longer past do just fine in some cases) in some sort of golden glow, even though it was not hardly the way they remember it, if they even were alive then. But it was more rigidly defined by comparison to today - roles, expectations, life-paths, pace, etc. Stifling maybe, but comforting in a way, at least to some. Diversity is great, (as many on this board repeat like a mantra), but it also causes quite a lot of social friction and challenges to what are the underpinnings of many people's lives - of what they were taught.

Now, the ones who go much further - like your - well we can't call them revisionists can we - let's call them deniers instead, well they aren't conservative, they're just full of fear - fear of change, fear of what they don't/won't understand, unable to deal with ambiguity of any kind, fear of having to THINK, or change their minds, because if they do that, their place in that world will shift. How many people here have had to UNLEARN most of what they were taught? How much uphill effort and pain was involved? Is it any wonder that many turn away and retreat to fantasy, a strong personality to tell them WHAT to think, or buckle under the strain? How fun is it to contemplate or realize that maybe every single thing your parents taught you was a mistake or an outright lie? How many people will do almost ANYTHING to not have to face that? Quite a few. It's just how our little psyches work...

Just my take on the matter....

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314657522|3004857 said:

They say teached. That's enough for me to realize where they are on an educational scale.

It's sad people believe some of this nonsense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results