shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I hate Costco's free sample stands

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind the crowds at Costco too much.

What I DO mind, despise rather, and boycott, are those fvcking free-sample stands.
They only have them on the busiest days, the worst days for them.
I hate anyone hawking anything, at my front door, a guy offering to wash my windshield while I'm pumping gas, or in a store.
Leave me alone.

To maximize profit, and pain-in-the-a$$yness, they strategically place them in the most-congested locations.
They usually hawk a highly-processed, high fat, high sodium, high sugar, unhealthy "food" with an irresistible aroma.
Gee thanks; I was doing pretty well on my healthier diet till I smelled that.

Even if the drooling gluttonous two-basket swine didn't crowd around four-deep with their inlaws and 5 piglets and linger for seconds and thirds, Costco has no business taking away precious real estate needed for high-volume weekend traffic. :angryfire:
After passing one you have to sidestep the little white paper cup litter containing sticky bun residue if you don't want to track that into your car/house.
I'm sure a few jerks intentionally visit every stand and making it their lunch without buying the product, driving up prices I have to pay for everything in the store.

Also, the massive traffic jams are a fire hazard that would slow evacuation.

... and you kids get off my lawn. :angryfire:

Ahh!
Thanks. I feel much better now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOA.

Just avoid it if it bothers you that much. I like the free samples. Even with the traffic they cause. I hate buying stuff without knowing what it tastes like.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the problem.
You can't avoid them.
I guess I could take a day off work during the week to go shopping.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly the reason my husband hates Costco at peak hours, we go first thing in the morning to avoid all of that, its like a surgical strike getting our usual stuff. I hate the surgical strike every single time, though, because you can find cool stuff at Costco by having a good look for new things! When I do that, I go alone :dance:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I actually know people who go there just to get free samples. One coworker told me she brought a little bit of leftovers for lunch, and would go to Costco for the rest of he lunch. I thought she meant the cheap pizza or hotdogs sold there, but she said she'd fill up on the samples!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Move to a smaller city. There are two grocery stores here and one doesn't do samples. The other one has a timid kinda guy who doesn't give two quarters if you want his produce samples, just tells you thanks for shopping, have a great day. One old lady who is OMG crabby and will about slap the kids hands if they reach for a second two inch square of her deli meat. And a woman my mom used to work w/so I know her real well who does the free wine samples and always hooks me up w/a full cup and a wink.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1404858925|3709273 said:
Move to a smaller city. There are two grocery stores here and one doesn't do samples. The other one has a timid kinda guy who doesn't give two quarters if you want his produce samples, just tells you thanks for shopping, have a great day. One old lady who is OMG crabby and will about slap the kids hands if they reach for a second two inch square of her deli meat. And a woman my mom used to work w/so I know her real well who does the free wine samples and always hooks me up w/a full cup and a wink.

Did someone say free wine samples? :dance:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who knew Iowa was so cool? It's even cooler the more free wine you drink.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Iowa," wine samples? Must be an ex-burb of New Orleans, home of drive thru likker stores and super big gulp martinis, right?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
At the Costco here they don't hawk the samples. They just stand there; if you want one, ok, if not, walk by -- which I usually do. I always go to Costco during the week or if I just HAVE to go on a weekend, reeeeaally early.

Kenny, maybe you should get a job at Packrat's grocery store -- you could smack people on the hands when they reach for your samples! :whistle: (And swill some free Iowa wine too.)

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do actually have a drive thru liquor store, and one that I'm not sure if it's still drive through or not called...ready? Liquor on the Corner. And-it was attached to a tire shop. Iowans are all about convenience. It was originally to be called Liquor in the Back.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1404859111|3709275 said:
packrat|1404858925|3709273 said:

Did someone say free wine samples? :dance:

Come to Houston. We have a liquor store here called Specs. On the weekends they have free samples too, but unlike Costco you need a designated driver. Not a huge drinker my self, but their deli is amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1404863614|3709316 said:
It was originally to be called Liquor in the Back.

:confused:

She doesn't like it in the front? :-o

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Not all Costcos are like that. We live near two. One is bad during the weekends, the other one isn't. The one that is crowded during the weekend is just as crowded during the week. (doesn't anyone work?!?) The one that isn't crowded usually carries better items, so it's a no brainer which one we visit. We spend way too much money there. :nono:

eta: I've never noticed sample lines causing an issue or blocking the aisles. I never noticed trash either. Most people are really good about depositing the trash into the receptacles they provide near the sample carts.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1404864427|3709328 said:

hahahahaha isn't that horrible?? We're a small midwestern town-do we seriously need a store name to let people know it's rednecky white trash? Jeez. People said "Um, but the liquor is in the back of the tire store, and the store is on the corner so they make sense" UM DUH??? OMG. :lol:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
At the Costco here they don't hawk the samples. They just stand there; if you want one, ok, if not, walk by -- which I usually do. I always go to Costco during the week or if I just HAVE to go on a weekend, reeeeaally early. Kenny, maybe you should get a job at Packrat's grocery store -- you could smack people on the hands when they reach for your samples! :whistle: (And swill some free Iowa wine too.) --- Laurie

Same here.

I don't mind the samples. I do mind people who park their carts in front of the table.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been to Costco stores more than once, although I do not belong...or maybe I am confusing them with another club I once belonged to. They were inconvenient for me (too far away and with sizes too big to use up easily), so I didn't renew membership. I do not recall free samples, however, let alone pandemonium over free samples! My father loves Costco. He never mentions free samples.

I am not familiar with drive-through liquor stores, although I have encountered the drive-trough daiquiri in detective stories about the South. Connecticut-at least my part of it-is still a bit staid. That's why my favorite author is James Lee Burke, who writes about New Orleans and its environs. ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you got that off your chest Kenny!

I once bought an $8 box of frozen puffed
Pastry that took up massive real estate in
My freezer for a whole year (before I threw
Them out) due to one of those walk way
stealing congested booths. I steer clear of
them now.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, Your post is hilarious. I'm having visions of you running people over with your cart or having a smack down In aisle 5. Do we need to start saving for your bail money?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404877080|3709497 said:
Kenny, Your post is hilarious. I'm having visions of you running people over with your cart or having a smack down In aisle 5. Do we need to start saving for your bail money?

Thanks, but the judges always deny me bail. ;(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same thing here Peigi, we have a couple in the area that are terrible. And some that are fine. You just need to avoid the ones that are bad.

And I find that evenings are much better than weekends.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Costco but for me it should really be called the $200 Store. I am on a diet and try to avoid the old ladies with their mini ovens and electric frying pans because like Kenny said its all bad processed food.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Same thing here Peigi, we have a couple in the area that are terrible. And some that are fine. You just need to avoid the ones that are bad. And I find that evenings are much better than weekends.

Friday nights are the best.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1404865545|3709341 said:
kenny|1404864427|3709328 said:

hahahahaha isn't that horrible?? We're a small midwestern town-do we seriously need a store name to let people know it's rednecky white trash? Jeez. People said "Um, but the liquor is in the back of the tire store, and the store is on the corner so they make sense" UM DUH??? OMG. :lol:

Packrat, if you had t-shirts from Liquor in the Back to sell you'd be bling funded for decades!!

I'd buy one for a gag gift for the Christmas party auction. Blood would be spilled over that shirt!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love free food samples and "try before you buy", and they are one of the main reasons why I like going to exhibitions where cooking equipment or other food stuff may be on offer.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A brand new costco just opened up in Brisbane and they have very few people giving away free samples, no more or less than in the normal supermarkets and no one crowds around here for the stuff they hand out. The other day the lady was giving out chocolate peanut butter cups so that was kinda cool :lickout:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get what Kenny is frustrated about - its like ppl haven't eaten for DAYS ON END... and this is the last morsel of food they will take with them for all eternity!! "Free samples" certainly bring out the *interesting* in some people! (mind you, I do enjoy having a little treat as I forage thru the masses... :drool: )

But Packrat - OMG! - you are making Iowa sound like a dream destination!! Liquor on the Corner w free samples?! LOL!! How cool is that??? Where I live, no such thing as free liquor samples here in this city!!!

And that T shirt idea??? HILARIOUS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really no free wine samples? A large number of bottleshops here give out wine samples and they have nights once or twice a week with free wine tastings and no people don't crowd here for those either....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1404900961|3709615 said:
Really no free wine samples? A large number of bottleshops here give out wine samples and they have nights once or twice a week with free wine tastings and no people don't crowd here for those either....

GET OUT!! I am clearly living in the wrong place!!
drowning_in_wine.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results