shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you wear diamonds you can't see?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm talking about earrings and pendants ... ?

Without a mirror you can't see them.
So why wear them?
For others?
Why?

If I wore diamonds that only others could see I'd ask others to pay for them.

Instead of wearing diamonds you can't see, why not just put all that money into a diamond ring upgrade that you CAN see (and BTW that others can enjoy too)?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you - that's why all my diamonds are in rings!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have always been self-conscious about my ears. I just don;'t like them. I think they're a little on the big side, and I have chunky looking lobes, so I think that wearing some bling on my ears distracts others (and myself) from that. Rings have always been my favorite, though I do have a couple of pendants as well.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, this is a really good question!

For the reasons given by Kenny, I adore rings and bracelets/bangles. I figured out a while ago that they're my favorites because I can see them.

However, I love earrings and necklaces too, very nearly as much. It's true I can't see them, and it's true that I often forget I'm wearing them. But I am wearing them, and I'm reminded of this every time I catch a glimpse in a bathroom mirror throughout the day, and see that the earrings flatter my face and the pendant flatters my neckline, or I'm reminded that I wear them when I receive a compliment.

I wear them because they make me feel luxe even if I can't see them all the time, because they brighten my day, because they brighten my face and my outfit, because they make me look better. They give a lift to my energy and my feelings. I look better in jewelry, and I think that earrings and pendants have a greater impact in that way because when you talk to people, you are looking primarily at each other's face/neck general area.

I have read about how jewelry was seen as a statement of power and status in ancient and middle-ancient times. Although it's all a bit Game of Thrones-ish, I do wonder if there's a hangover of that today. In some way, I feel my jewelry represents my hard work and my age with its attendant experiences. When I wear good jewelry, I feel that the outside matches the inside. Like a bottle of good vintage having the appropriate label. And I know, through so much experience of bereavements and terminal illness, to wear those shiny bad boys and not save them because your health can go in an instant and your jewelry won't have seen the light of day.

I get quite emotional about my jewelry. It's given me so much pleasure and has never let me down. I would feel so diminished without it. It's my identity and my armor.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a good question. I wear earrings every day and they are normally my 3ctw diamonds. I wear my diamond earrings because I love them and get a lot of pleasure out of wearing them, even If I cannot see them all the time. They are simple and elegant. I don't know that I need to see my diamonds all the time to enjoy wearing them. But if I have the choice between wearing a 3 ct great diamond in a ring or in a necklace - I think I would choose the ring.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also as I age, I guess I want to spread out the bling.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand what Kenny is saying.
I wear earrings, necklace, bracelets on both arms, and rings on both hands--everyday. I get twice as many compliments on necklaces than I do on anythings else.
When talking with people, they will usually notice a necklace before rings, or other jewelry.
I notice jewelry on other people all the time and regularly comment on great diamonds I see on other ladies hands.
I just come right out and say to a complete stranger-- "Oh what a fabulous ring!!"-----and then I usually get the whole story, and make a new friend, too!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy wearing earrings & necklaces. I look at them whenever I walk past a window or a mirror.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1433210385|3883938 said:
You know, this is a really good question!

For the reasons given by Kenny, I adore rings and bracelets/bangles. I figured out a while ago that they're my favorites because I can see them.

However, I love earrings and necklaces too, very nearly as much. It's true I can't see them, and it's true that I often forget I'm wearing them. But I am wearing them, and I'm reminded of this every time I catch a glimpse in a bathroom mirror throughout the day, and see that the earrings flatter my face and the pendant flatters my neckline, or I'm reminded that I wear them when I receive a compliment.

I wear them because they make me feel luxe even if I can't see them all the time, because they brighten my day, because they brighten my face and my outfit, because they make me look better. They give a lift to my energy and my feelings. I look better in jewelry, and I think that earrings and pendants have a greater impact in that way because when you talk to people, you are looking primarily at each other's face/neck general area.

I have read about how jewelry was seen as a statement of power and status in ancient and middle-ancient times. Although it's all a bit Game of Thrones-ish, I do wonder if there's a hangover of that today. In some way, I feel my jewelry represents my hard work and my age with its attendant experiences. When I wear good jewelry, I feel that the outside matches the inside. Like a bottle of good vintage having the appropriate label. And I know, through so much experience of bereavements and terminal illness, to wear those shiny bad boys and not save them because your health can go in an instant and your jewelry won't have seen the light of day.

I get quite emotional about my jewelry. It's given me so much pleasure and has never let me down. I would feel so diminished without it. It's my identity and my armor.[/quote]

+1. Well said! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The same can be said about hair cuts. Why bother, cause it's only when you look in the mirror that you see your own head. Or make up... just sayin'...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1433221732|3884002 said:
The same can be said about hair cuts. Why bother, cause it's only when you look in the mirror that you see your own head. Or make up... just sayin'...

Well, there's a wee bit of a price difference between a hair cut and real diamond earrings/pendant let alone the very $$$$$$$$ fine diamonds that many PSers dangle where they can't see them.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my studs were a graduation gift, so I wear them as I received them: for the ear.
My smaller pendant was inherited as such, so I wear it on my neck for the same reason as the earrings, that is how I got it.
As for the larger pendant, it was my mom's erring stone. I inherited it as a fairly new bride and felt it would be weird to wear a solitaire on each hand, and was sentimental enough to keep my erring as is, so I put it in the necklace.

Would I like to be able to see all these gems throughout the day? You bet. Fortunately, I wash my hands often enough that I get a glimpse of them in the restroom mirror from time to time, I then I do get to see them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't.. :tongue:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think there's a side to sight that happens in the mind. When I have earrings and a necklace coordinated with what I'm wearing it satisfies something deep within. I'm a ring person though and being able to see it myself is probably the reason those pieces of jewelry were a lot more expensive than the earrings and necklaces I have. I work for a woman who is completely blind. She is always getting me to stuff matching necklaces, bracelets, scarves into pockets of clothing so she can wear the jewelery or scarf that coordinates with the outfit. She wears rings too even though she can't see them. She says she sees things vividly within her mind.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I can only wear so many rings. :tongue:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like seeing the necklace and earrings when I look in the mirror. I feel well-dressed when I wear them and the rings and bracelets.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Just because I don't see something all of the time, doesn't mean that wearing it is useless. I wear makeup and do my hair each day, but I can't see those unless I look in a mirror. I wear nice shoes too, but don't necessarily walk around staring at them :D It's the same for my diamond necklaces & earrings. It's an overall appearance. I wear classic pieces that I don't rotate much and I feel that it contributes to the fact that I take pride in my appearance and care about what I look like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1433227123|3884024 said:
I like seeing the necklace and earrings when I look in the mirror. I feel well-dressed when I wear them and the rings and bracelets.

I agree with this and I also feel "pretty" with earrings on my ears. I feel them on my ears and I like the way it feels (as long as they are lightweight earrings). I also cannot wear too many rings as it is a pain when washing my hands which I do often throughout the day. So it is a way to get my bling fix in with less maintenance re washing hands and removing rings which I always do when I wash my hands. The earrings and necklace (when I wear a necklace as my main bling every day is just my ER/WBs and earrings) require no maintenance throughout the day unlike my rings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see them any time I need to use the mirror. It's not for others, it's for my viewing pleasure. :cheeky:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1433248109|3884107 said:
I see them any time I need to use the mirror. It's not for others, it's for my viewing pleasure. :cheeky:

+1

I wear them cos i like them... they are for me.. i always wanted diamond earrings since i was about 7yo.. i tried to pierce my ear with my mum's earring!! LOL

Necklace- same reason.. i wear them for me. ppl can see what i wear and can comment which is nice...
I must admit that when i do go luxe shopping and they see what i bling i have on, i get a little bit more attn. or is that because i am just damn good looking! LOL

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the same reason you have a box of FCDs you appreciate but don't necessarily wear or see at all times during the day or night. I personally do not have to see beautiful things 24/7 to appreciate them or appreciate the fact they are there.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
My son asks me the same question whenever I mention my diamond earrings. I have long thick hair and you can't even see my ears. I have diamonds in my lobes and pearls in my cartilage piercing. I do it for ME. When I brush my hair, get out of the bath, put my hair up when I cook, I can see them and they make me feel pretty when I'm just wearing them. It's like why I wear diamonds instead of CZ's. They feel good to ME even though no one else can tell.

It's also the reason I shave my legs every single day. My husband wouldn't care, no one else sees my legs but I feel better when I look better(in my own perspective).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Precisely why I wear just simple silver hoops. Inexpensive and they look great! I don't want to spend a ton of money on earrings and necklaces; I don't see the point.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I wear only costume jewelry around my neck and on my ears. For me, it's all about diamond RINGS! I'd rather not spend $$$$ on sparkles that I can't stare at whenever I want. With my rings, I can simply look down and get a little thrill -- which I probably do a gazillion times a day. :bigsmile:

That said, I've never had a desire for a diamond bracelet. Maybe it's because they feel unwieldy and clang on everything I touch.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I check myself out every time I pass a window or mirror. I see them alot ;-)

But really, I like to spread out the bling. I cannot wear more than two rings per finger. Too many braceletes feel clunky (especially sicne I type all day). I also like to touch necklaces and earrings (bad for diamonds, i know!) as a habit. So I like to wear SOMETHING, even if not always diamonds.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is all part of the package, and I do not go out of the house without earrings or perfume, or have my eyelashes curled.

I do not feel I am dressed without them.

Not too bothered about pendants and necklaces when I am in the casual mode. However, for business formal and when I have somewhere nice to go, I would wear more bling as well as make up.

DK :))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear diamond earrings. There's no point. I have long hair and no one would ever see them. Pendants, I like to touch them but I wouldn't bother with a diamond solitaire pendant unless it was long enough for me to both see and fondle. :Up_to_something:

Sometimes I see certain pieces as totem-like items. I wear them because I feel good about them. No other reason.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost always wear earrings. They're not always expensive, but they are usually "the real deal" - gold or silver if it looks like gold or silver, real enamel (not some facsimile) if that's what it looks like, good beads if I'm wearing bead earrings. I treated myself to a pair of small, ideal-cut diamond stud earrings earlier this year and they're what I wear most days now. I suppose I could have gotten crystal or moissy earrings instead, but I would have wanted nicely designed, real gold findings in any event, so why not go all the way? I've worn rhinestone earrings before and I suppose I'd pick up a nice pair of dazzlers should the right occasion come up, but alas, I don't foresee that happening any time soon. As to why - who knows? I suppose it could be a bit of vanity or snobbery, but mostly it's because I like to. Besides, I'd be absolutely mortified to run into Dancing Fire - which I'm absolutely certain will happen any day now - while wearing diamond alternative earrings.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Wearing diamond earrings makes me feel happy inside even if i can't see them without a mirror - just like some folks want a VVS1 diamond because "mind clean" is important to them even though no one else can probably tell the diff between a VVS1 and a VS1 - it's just an internal thing.

Also, I have short hair so sometimes people can actually see my earrings.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Why do I pick out pretty glasses frames to compliment my face? Why do I dye, curl/straighten, or brush my hair? Why do I wear makeup? Why spend $$$ on braces or teeth whitening? Why get a nose job? Why worry if you are going bald?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results