shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do some women do this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. I am admittedly crabby today. I have interviewed so many nanny''s the last couple of weeks and none of them are wowing me.

So I called to make an appointment at a salon and the girl who answer the phone keeps making her voice like three octaves higher than normal when she talks to me. It''s like they are talking to little kids or something. I hate the ''perky'' receptionist thing. And I don''t know why they do it. It makes them sound kind of, well, dumb.

I used to work for a company that owned several large apartment complexes and the women who worked there were notorious for this. I called one up one day to get some info on the capital they were spending and the girl was talking 4 octaves higher and being all perky. She had no idea why I was calling her and after explaining it to her she said something like ''ooooh, that''s too complicated for meeeee....you''ll have to talk to my manager''. I just don''t get why some women have no interest in at least not appearing dumb.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Haha... oh I'm with you, that drives me crazy too... though it never occurred to me to ask "why" before!! I get annoyed with people who give off the impression that everything they do and say is part of a larger performance, perfectly scripted like they're starring in their own little show. Kind of like some of the girls I went to school with in Virginia who would just sort of "pick up" a southern accent when it was convenient... anytime from flirting with a bartender to asking a question in class.
20.gif

It also makes me think of the people who put on a very, very fake "little kid" voice to address a 6-year-old, then wonder why the kid stares at them like they're insane. On that note -- I have a friend who hasn't spent much time around children and doesn't have a particularly strong "mommy" gene that causes her to drool and coo over every child she meets. As a result, she tends to speak to children in a completely normal adult voice... and kids LOVE HER. It is the funniest thing.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif
Yeah... I have to admit I haven''t spent much time pondering it either. It is irritating though.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
This is a total guess, but I do sometimes find myself doing that, so... At work, we get in crap if our tone isn''t ''friendly'' enough or we don''t smile when someone comes up to the desk. Seeing as I''m human, and knowing the general mood of people who come up to the desk, often I find myself in the position of more or less saying "Hi! I''m so happy to serve you, please feel free to treat me like garbage and have me wish you a good evening afterwards!"
29.gif

My bosses don''t care if that smile is as fake as a the rack of a Playboy bunny, it has got to be pasted on, and we have to be all perky all the time. It grates on my nerves. The snottier someone is, the perkier you need to be, since the only reason for people to be snotty is if you aren''t being nice enough to them...
20.gif

Of course, I''m not suggesting that anyone is being snotty to these girls! I just think it''s the weird ''customer service approach'' that is rammed down our throats by people so high up they haven''t a clue how to handle real people. They only think in training modules.

Or maybe it could be she really is dumb, and was hired on looks alone?
31.gif
(Kidding! Kidding!)

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2006 12:09:02 AM
Author: Galateia
This is a total guess, but I do sometimes find myself doing that, so... At work, we get in crap if our tone isn''t ''friendly'' enough or we don''t smile when someone comes up to the desk. Seeing as I''m human, and knowing the general mood of people who come up to the desk, often I find myself in the position of more or less saying ''Hi! I''m so happy to serve you, please feel free to treat me like garbage and have me wish you a good evening afterwards!''
29.gif

My bosses don''t care if that smile is as fake as a the rack of a Playboy bunny, it has got to be pasted on, and we have to be all perky all the time. It grates on my nerves. The snottier someone is, the perkier you need to be, since the only reason for people to be snotty is if you aren''t being nice enough to them...
20.gif

Of course, I''m not suggesting that anyone is being snotty to these girls! I just think it''s the weird ''customer service approach'' that is rammed down our throats by people so high up they haven''t a clue how to handle real people. They only think in training modules.

Or maybe it could be she really is dumb, and was hired on looks alone?
31.gif
(Kidding! Kidding!)

It''s as good a theory as any. I think you can come across as friendly and upbeat without sounding like an bubblehead. Too bad management of many places drills this into people''s heads.

The other thing is when all the customer service people are trained to reply to any complaint with ''I do apologize for that'' and it is so ingrained, they aren''t even listening to what you are saying. I just think about a guy doing this so much that when his wife/gf complains about anything, he automatically says "I do apologize for that''.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results