shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people abandon their pets?

Q

Queenie60

Just want to vent. I was going to my parked car yesterday near a dumpster - saw an orange tabby cat near the dumpster and approached it as it looked a bit scared. When I spoke to the cat, I realized that he wanted to hear my voice as he squinted his little eyes as a cat does when he's being spoken to. I realized that this cat was very hungry but responsive. I went to the Safeway and purchased a small can of cat food and the cat eagerly ate. I phoned my local cat rescue lady whom I have worked with in the past. She proceeded to rescue the cat and told me that the cat entered the crate without hesitation and cuddled on the blanket. As of this morning we have found that the cat is microchipped however the owner has not responded :wall: . She gave the cat flea treatment as he was infested with fleas. Now that he's feeling better he is eating and drinking. We now have him at the vet for an exam and with the help of my funding and her knowledge and ability to foster and find a home for the kitty we hope to have a happy ending. I don't understand why people think that animals don't have feelings and that they can discard them like trash. It's obvious that this cat was an indoor cat at one time and doesn't know how to fend for himself and has probably been chased away by the local feral colony and had no place to go. The good news is that we were able to get him inside before the nasty rains arrived last night.

Thank you for listening - I'm sad but glad at the same time, I was meant to run across this poor animal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary.
The ones who abandon pets suck!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am never going to hear a reason that makes abandoning a pet OK, so I won't even try to find one. Even in the most desperate of situations I could not ever imagine allowing an animal to fend for itself.

Maybe the owner is out of the country or something, and the kitty got lost while being cared for by someone else?

Maybe?

Regardless of the reasons why this kitty was outside like this, thank goodness he ran into you. Thank you for taking care of him. I hope you find the owners (and I hope that only if they are good/responsible owners and this was a total one time accident that he got out/lost) or that he's able to find a good forever home.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is always the possibility that the cat escaped from the house and the owner is looking for it. Perhaps the owner has given up hope? Who knows but I would not judge the prior owner too harshly without knowing all the facts.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60, Thank you for getting food and shelter for that poor baby. I can only imagine how frightened that poor cat must of felt. Under no circumstances is abandoning your pet acceptable. It always make me wonder how these people were raised that they feel it is okay to treat an animal like this. Truly sad. If the cat was micro chipped and had gotten out some how I would think the owners would be so anxious to get their pet back safely. They certainly would not be ignoring calls. You would be answering every call in hopes it would be someone who found your pet.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
In these types of situations, there's really know way to know if the pet was abandoned or if it somehow escaped/ran away. People move, they forget to update microchip info, etc.

Q

Queenie60

Ok - here's the update on kitty. He has a fever as he's dehydrated. They are giving him iv fluids, he's getting an antibiotic shot and feline leukemia test. Other than fever and flea bites, he's in good shape and will be adoptable once we get him well and put some weight on him. Bad news is that owner has not responded to our requests and the vet has also attempted to contact the owner with no response. Kitty will be recovering with his foster mom and then off to find a forever home! Sometimes you just need to follow your heart and not turn your back on an animal that may need your help. :angel:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie, thank you!
You did a fabulous thing for that kitty.
The world needs more people like you.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1446509485|3944947 said:
Queenie, thank you!
You did a fabulous thing for that kitty.
The world needs more people like you.

+1 Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Queenie. Your probably saved that poor Kitty's life.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for giving that kitty a chance for a new life! I can't imagine giving up my pet but if forced to due to life circumstances, I would make every effort to rehome. I can't imagine taking anything out to the dumpster and just dropping it off. I think there are alternatives available to folks if they would take the time or have the compassion to find them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1446487155|3944790 said:
People vary.
The ones who abandon pets suck!

Yeah not up for debate IMO. Anybody who abandons their pet for whatever reason is a bad person. I'll go as far as to say evil. :cry:

If a person abandoned their human child would anyone here defend them? If you cannot raise your child or your pet find another alternative OK? Don't just dump them out there to fend for themselves. No excuse. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Queenie, thank you for caring and for doing the right thing. I wish more people were like you because the world would for sure be a better place for everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results