shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do dogs eat... you know what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... even CAT you know what...

This is the only thing I don't like about having dogs.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My dog never has. Sometimes a neighbor''s dog comes into my backyard and eats the yellow snow. Grosses me out to no end. I can''t imagine seeing what I think you''re implying.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, are you asking why dogs eat brown pebbles?

-A

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because they are nasty and bad and disgusting! I think they just do it to make us sick! Our puppy used to eat our other dogs poop before it even hit the ground!
15.gif

I think I read somewhere that they eat it because they are lacking something in their diet.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s not really all that common. A small percentage of dogs do that. Lucky me, I''ve never had one that did
14.gif

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
eating cat poo is SO disgusting, unfortunately it seems all dogs view this as a delicacy! Cat poo (like their food) is very high in protein and very enticing for pups to snack on!

dogs eating dog poo is a bit different. could be a nutritional problem in their diet - there are products you can buy to add to their food that will make their poo very yucky tasting (as if it shouldn''t already be?).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dog LOVES raiding the litter box. I swear it''s his favorite past time and it''s so bad we have to keep baby gates up in the doors of the rooms with the LBs. Worst part, he walks around the house with logs hanging out of his mouth like cigars.
14.gif

I don''t know why he does it. It''s really really gross.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Note to self: Do not open this thread and read the comments anymore. >

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 4:09:24 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
My dog LOVES raiding the litter box. I swear it''s his favorite past time and it''s so bad we have to keep baby gates up in the doors of the rooms with the LBs. Worst part, he walks around the house with logs hanging out of his mouth like cigars.
14.gif

Bwahahaha!

Oh, dear!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, was it the cigar comment?
27.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I should get a dog. Then I would never have to clean the litter box again!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 4:18:05 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Yea but he still expects to give you a kiss after. You do NOT want doggie breath and kisses in that instance!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 4:14:21 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 2/25/2010 4:09:24 PM
14.gif

Bwahahaha!

Oh, dear!
I just snorted out loud at work. Thanks HH!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 4:21:40 PM

Yea but he still expects to give you a kiss after. You do NOT want doggie breath and kisses in that instance!

I think he would be deserving of a doggie treat/breath mint after that...maybe a swig of Listerine.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog grew out of this thank goodness. He still eats rabbit poo though...yuck! He''s allergic to everything under the sun so his dog food is rabbit and potato and we sometimes wonder if that''s why he still has an affinity for rabbit poo.
emotion-41.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my!
9.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once upon a time a long time ago, a cat said to a dog "Eat (censored)!"

This is why most cats and dogs don''t get along.
2.gif
9.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I was reading that it''s because the food was only partially digested and the dog thinks it''s still good. They have different solutions for that like placing hot sauce i(or bitter apple) in the turd or feeding the dog some thing that aids digestion. Some dogs do it because they''re bored also. My dog was having this problem but I didn''t have the stomach to open up at turn and pour hot sauce in it or anything
14.gif
. Turns out she was just bored.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can sometimes be fixed by a change in their diet. If they''re not getting enough nutrients out of their food, or are passing it without absorbing essential things, then they just naturally go for the poo. Dogs don''t have a problem with the idea. People do.
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps nothing is broken.
They have a great diet.
Maybe it is natural, and it just grosses out humans.
IOW, my problem not theirs.

I can say, "Leave It!" and they do - that is IF I catch it.
Walking them requires hypervigilance, especially if it is dusk or dark.
It is like walking two vacuums set to the HIGH suction setting.

I'll look on the bright side.
At least they don't bark at the moon.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Do you feed a high quality food? Or - if they are eating other dogs poo, it may be that that dog is eating a low quality food. Many commercial brands are full of "fillers" that simply pass right through with no nutritional value...making the poop just as appetizing as the food itself.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our male pit bull used to do that. He only did it in the winter. We called them poopsicles.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Our dog does this too. It grosses me out when she comes to greet me and there''s kitty litter on her nose! Ewwww! We use a high-sided rubbermaid bin as a box, and that worked for a while. Apparently, those *ahem* almond rocas are good enough for her to acquire a high-jumping skill.

DH''s nickname for her is Disgustipup.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Our cats don't feel too special as our dog isn't particular. She is partial to eating rabbit and horse sh1t too. Tasty
18.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 4:14:47 PM
Sorry, was it the cigar comment?
27.gif
Actually no, it was the ''before it hits the ground'' comment
14.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 4:21:40 PM

Yup, that''s it. The ughck moment, when they come over for a hug and a nuzzle when they come in from outside. I feel so absolutely horrible uttering the words "go away" to my older dog when she does that, but it really makes my stomach twirl. I''m happy my younger dog never got into that "habit".

lulu

Ideal_Rock
My dog never eats other dogs'' poop. But if allowed he will eat cat food in any form .

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I do not have a dog and was not aware of the poo eating until this thread. I wonder though about the dogs that eat cat poo. I mean isnt the poo covered in litter? I would that the litter would not be good for the dog, well I guess the poo isnt either, but at least the poo is natural.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
My new little chihuahua does this, but only with cat poop. Luckily, she doesn''t seem interested in her own, but she loves digging in the garden to see if she can find anything. It is sooo gross and she knows I hate it, so I think it has become more of a game for her than anything. She will bring it right to me then run away as fast as her little legs can carry her and wait for me to come and chase her down. I think it is really only gross to us. I once read that wild dogs sometimes do it to hide their scent.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 6:25:15 PM
Author: radiantquest
I do not have a dog and was not aware of the poo eating until this thread. I wonder though about the dogs that eat cat poo. I mean isnt the poo covered in litter? I would that the litter would not be good for the dog, well I guess the poo isnt either, but at least the poo is natural.

I think he likes it more with the litter. Makes it crunchy, like an almond roca (to quote a previous poster)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results