shape
carat
color
clarity

Who watched Mad Men? *spoilers*

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Philandering Don is back - OR are he and Megan swingers?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I just started watching it today, but have had to take a pause while caring for my 10 month old. I can't say I am surprised by what you just revealed - in either case. I am so pumped for this season!

God, I love Don Draper...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I watched, and I think philandering Don is back, but I admit to being kinda confused at times by this season premiere.

eta: Athenaworth, did you find it strange how Don didn't speak a word for the first few minutes of the show?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Athenaworth, did you know Banana Republic has a Mad Men clothing line? :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
webdiva|1365480611|3423016 said:
Athenaworth, did you know Banana Republic has a Mad Men clothing line? :)

Oh gurl, yes. I liked the stuff they had with their last line more. The late 60's styled stuff doesn't work as well on me.

@hlmr - I didn't notice that he didn't speak! That is interesting. I thought the scene where Megan was dancing with the hula dude was an indication that maybe she was having an affair, but blamo! But I started thinking back on little hints about the interactions between he and the doctor and then the blonde lady that was at the NYE party and it made me think that maybe Megan knows about the little arrangement. I mean, what better way to keep a wild animal loyal than to throw a few scraps of meat his way every once in a while?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
There's a whole discussion over at TWoP that goes 30 pages or more. Someone pointed out Megan''s comment to Don about how pot makes sex better, and how she said "I know you don't..." or something. It made people wonder if Megan just accidentally blurted out TMI, and she as well as Don have been having affairs. But Don didn't question her comment at all, so maybe they are agreeably non-monogamous now.

I think Don's an idiot for carrying that Don Draper cigarette lighter around with him at all. Idiot for losing it. And I think Don had a moment of terror when he realized that he let that lighter get away from him. I think he's steadily morphing back into Dick Whitman, too. He can't keep his act together anymore. Almost like he's tired of the pretense.

Betty: Is she insane? Why not get Henry involved and also call police when that girl disappeared? And walking through the slums and hanging out in that vacant building? Is she on drugs? Sleepwalking? What? She's so out of it that she has no fear? Dam, her choice of clothes looked like something Henry's mother would wear, and the new hair dye job is whack, too. So, she's okay with not finding the girl, and just goes out and changes her hair color? Sounds like a mental patient to me.

Maybe they are steadily falling to demonic possession. That's why most of them looked a half bubble off in that episode. :lol: I didn't like Season 5 at all, though.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
TC, I love the TWoP recaps and I used to like to try to keep up with the forums as well. I don't think I'll be able to this season.

I felt underwhelmed with the opener. Maybe I'm being too critical. I've never been emotionally invested in the Don/Megan marriage, but I'm still bored to death with Don acting like a child. I really hated the end where he told the doctor's wife "I don't want to do this". Great, Don, then stop. You know, like a 40-year-old man who can control impulses.

I also felt some other things were heavy-handed. Roger crying over the shoe shine box. Peggy acting just like Don.

Obviously Betty is going through some type of metamophasis. What this is, I don't know. Suddenly she's supposed to be warm and understanding? Edgy? What was up with the rape talk? All of it is so un-Betty.

There are only going to be 7 seasons, right? I keep trying to figure out the beginning of the end. Like Don having a terminal illness.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I thought it would have been great if the doctor's wife would have given Don a major b-slap right after he said "I want to stop doing this." (Or whatever it was that he said.) Frankly, I was disappointed when she didn't. I hope she drops him like a hot potato. Wanna stop, Don? Hey, no problem. :lol:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NewEnglandLady|1365534406|3423434 said:
There are only going to be 7 seasons, right? I keep trying to figure out the beginning of the end. Like Don having a terminal illness.

The popular theory from the beginning was that Don would commit suicide by jumping out a window. I think his Hawaiian hotel ad was either a foreshadow or a fake out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished watching the season premiere and I have to agree with NEL. I am a bit bored with some of the same old tired routine. I almost wish he would jump out that window so we could take this season in a new direction lol. And I wish Betty would just get her act together already. She's a hot mess.

But ofc I will keep watching. Hoping it gets better. I didn't care for last season much either. I am hoping this season is better. I do love the fashion (except Betty's that is) and I do love watching it usually. The season opener wasn't bad but it just wasn't great.

I never even heard of TWoP. Had to google it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think this season opener is too fragmented. Its all small frames of individual scenes, never connecting as a whole. They try to cover all the characters, but don't integrate the story line.

Don will forever be a philanderer, but we sort of liked him because he showed elements of being a decent human being even with his faults. They have mashed Betty's character, making her a bad mother and not keeping her character in character. Do you think Betty would go into a building like that?. What is the attraction for this girl? She never seems to like her own daughter. I don't like her anymore. She isn't even interesting.

The others boring. I always liked the creative team--the one that had the baby (the ambitious guy), the rivalry, and the ads themselves.

I hope it improves. Most shows aren't able to keep up the excellent quality of early episodes. This is probably a natural death we are seeing. I don't see Don as a suicide. I'd like to see Joan move up in the company. She earned it (he he)

Annette

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Okay, last night's episode definitely made up for the season opener.

Yes, there were still a whole lotta plots going on, but this time they were all cohesive and meaty. I loved it. I won't share spoilers in case people haven't watched, but (with the exception of Megan), I have to say that I love the women of Mad Men.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that Don is a total pita and I would even be insulted and annoyed to have to take a business trip with him. I really don't know what women see in that guy, because all I see is Addict That Can't Ever Grow Up. I loved Mona's comment. LMAO! Meghan should divorce him now while he still has money. :lol:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, what were everyone's thoughts on tonight's episode? I've heard some complaints about how RFK's assisnation was handled, but I feel like it was Matt Weiner's way of showing that everyone was starting to get used to the violence. I'm also glad Don got his as* knocked down a few pegs.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am glad they have a more cohesive story line. I did not like Don in this episode-even a bit much for his character. I hope they don't try to shock us. He's ugly now.(to me) (I don't know if I'll recover).

I'll keep watching unless they turn Don into a deviant. The rest was good.

Annette

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'll need therapy after watching that episode last night. Or at least a nice long shower with antibiotic soap. Someone please call the Army and tell them where to pick up Dick Whitman. Loved Sylvia's comment about having to get back to real life. :lol:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was one of the worst episodes of the entire series. Maybe my hopes were too high because I thought the merger could provide some good content. Instead there was way too much focus on really awful Dom Don, whom I hate to even call a Dom because he was really just an inconsiderate jerk (no surprise, I guess). I was glad when Sylvia burst his bubble and didn't even look back.

The only highlight was the 4 second interaction between Joan and Peggy.

I'm not a fan of Benson, so I was sort of frustrated that the screen time didn't go to another character, but that's just me being selfish.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NewEnglandLady|1368463459|3446064 said:
The only highlight was the 4 second interaction between Joan and Peggy.

That was the highlight of my night too - and I liked Peggy telling Don off. She's always been the only one that can.

Anyone notice Dawn was missing, but they talked about her like she was there? I wonder if something happening with the actress?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kind of miss the old Peggy... But I sure like the new JOAN!! Whoa - she is very good in that role - she plays things to her advantage but is a tad slow to get onto the modern woman thing.

I am losing interest and any connection with Megan. And Betty - wow - has she totally lost her mind???

Pete- what a sh!t!!!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
That TWOP forum is moderated by crackpots. I like to read the discussions of Mad Men episodes, but that forum lets people curse and throw the F-bomb all over the place. Incredibly, I got banned until June 5 because I directly complained in a post to the post above me that used the F-bomb twice plus some other swear words. Reason for banning me: It's against the rules to "make a personal attack" on another contributor. I replied to the warning email, saying "Fine. Instead, I will just report each and every F-bomb post to you moderators, and you can attack." I will probably never be allowed back there. haha But seriously, it must be moderated by a bunch of redneck stoners.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wanted to make sure- with watching on demand and stuff is so different from when we had to watch shows when they were first broadcast....If the episode where Don gets fired the season finale?
He's returned to being such a slimeball. It's so easy to hate him
I like that in a few of the episodes the writers gave him attributes that made him seem...noble. Of course that was fleeting.....

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1372636794|3475006 said:
I wanted to make sure- with watching on demand and stuff is so different from when we had to watch shows when they were first broadcast....If the episode where Don gets fired the season finale?
He's returned to being such a slimeball. It's so easy to hate him
I like that in a few of the episodes the writers gave him attributes that made him seem...noble. Of course that was fleeting.....

Yup that ended the season.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished cannonballing Mad Men from start to finish. LOVE IT.

I'm addicted to Pete Campbell, what a horrible man. Love the actor who plays him (Vincent Kartheiser)!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cannonballing! I love it!
More like "binge watching". I started about two weeks ago with season one, and just finished.
It is so addictive- I feel like I'll be going through withdrawal having to wait till next year for new episodes...

I love Pete Campbell too- well,more like love/hate:)
He's such a gentlemen, ostensibly...until he pulls his pants down :Up_to_something:

I love Joan's incredible bearing- she's so rarely caught off guard.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I actually liked the season finale, though it had very little to do with Don. I thought John Hamm did an amazing job, but I'm tired of hearing about Don's whorehouse past since it was in every. single. episode this season. I absolutely loved Vincent Kartheiser in the finale, he was on fire. And I have to admit that I'm glad Megan is likely going to have minimal appearances in the final season.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Mad Men is this weird show that I keep watching although I really don't like any of the characters, except Joan, who's been made out to be slightly less selfish, but even then, in fact, when I think about it, my most hated characters on Game of Thrones (Geoffrey, Cersei) I actually like more than Mad Men characters.... :love:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Mad Men Season 7 is here. But TWOP forum is closing May 31. Most people are moving to previouslytv.com

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok I finally watched the new episode. I liked it but felt disconnected too. Maybe I should've re watched season 6. I still think they're trying to lead us to believe that the series will end with Don jumping off a building. He just can't change with the times and I think it's slowly killing him. I also found it interesting that the lady on the plane (geeze Neve Campbell looked old) had a husband who died of alcoholism and then in the last episode Don didn't open a new bottle. Maybe he can change?

Here's a good write up on the espisode http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/04/the-em-mad-men-em-season-7-premiere-the-same-old-don-draper/360585/

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, how's everyone liking this season?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still watching. I like it better than Season 5, the only one that I still haven't purchased on DVD. One of these days I must buy a DVD recorder. I just watch so little TV that I feel if I record shows, I still won't bother to watch them. haha.

The TWOP forum is still open, or at least parts of it and certain threads are. I don't know what's up with that. I haven't checked out that other forum yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results