carat
color
clarity

Who is getting the IPAD 2?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Apple is coming out today with the IPAD 2.

Anybody getting it today?

I am excited to see it and thinking about it myself. :mrgreen:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not getting it today, but definitely getting one.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I think I am going to wait one more year to see what the tablet offerings are. But we'll see! Have fun with it!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're not getting it b/c we recently got an iPad. We almost returned it so we could instead get the iPad 2 but decided we are happy enough with the one we have.

My Dh did once mention we can always sell the one we have now and use the funds to buy the newer one, but then he forgot about doing that. ETA - and I'm guessing the price of the older version has plummeted? No point in selling it, I guess...

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Hubby is getting one, either today if the lines are bearable or in the next couple days if they aren't. He has been waiting for months to get one and didn't want to spring for the first version if the second was right around the corner...so he is super excited for this!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
How is it different from the original iPad?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
It's thinner, lighter, faster, and it has front and rear cameras. The shape is slightly different (rounded corners). Other than that, it's not a huge change, but it should be pretty significant as far as the"user experience" goes.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I'm actually a pretty big geek over electronic gadgets (my iPhone 4 makes me want to lick it) but I just don't get the excitement over tablets. They just basically run apps and a browser, right? And an iPod? Like a larger, flatter, less portable iPhone but without the phone function? I would personally rather have my iPhone and a laptop. (And a Kindle 3 for good measure. :cheeky: ) Am I missing something here...?

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK|1299870738|2869698 said:
Okay so I'm actually a pretty big geek over electronic gadgets (my iPhone 4 makes me want to lick it) but I just don't get the excitement over tablets. They just basically run apps and a browser, right? And an iPod? Like a larger, flatter, less portable iPhone but without the phone function? I would personally rather have my iPhone and a laptop. (And a Kindle 3 for good measure. :cheeky: ) Am I missing something here...?

This is exactly what stops me from buying an ipad. Plus the issue with flash-too limiting. I want one in theory, but with two mac laptops and an iphone, I'm set. ...I still need an e-reader of some sort. LGK-do you love the kindle?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
LGK said:

angry birds on a bigger screen!! :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this title should read...all PS members will receive a "FREE IPAD 2" courtesy of Andrey... :naughty:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

We have two iPod touches and an iPad and the two things *I* love about the iPad include: a) when I'm on the couch reading, I can look up something on wikipedia without getting up! I read a lot of weird books, so I often have to look up obsure subjects. b) we have netflix and can add movies to our quere without getting up ***AND*** we can watch movies on it. We have a large plasma TV so mostly the iPod is if I wanna watch a movie that kids/dh do not want to see (a movie from Netflix). I don't use it for anything else AND I don't use the iPod touches, so aside from testing out a few of my kids' games, the most I do is pick them up off the floor when my kids leave them there charging next to an outlet.

I do think the iPad is easily portable. We have a cover for it that we bought at the Apple store so it's easy to take with places. What I HATE about it is that I'm constantly touching the wrong link and ending up on a screen I don't want to be on.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
My DH wants one because he travels a lot for work (but isn't in a line of work that's computer-dependent) so it will be much easier to pack and he doesn't need to bring a laptop as well. He doesn't have a smartphone. And we're a one-computer family right now, ever since his laptop died last year, but really have no need for another "regular" computer at home because we mostly use it for surfing the web, checking email, etc. So it makes sense for him to get the iPad. And for me to borrow it regularly. :devil:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have the first one, and although I think they're pretty cool, it bugs me that they released this one when they JUST came out with the first one not too long ago. You can't keep up. Did they really not have the technology (and other perks) available when the first version was released? Smart marketing...

I'm so behind the times though, and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock

Streaming netflix? It is so awesome at the gym. Plus it is a kindle (but I think better)

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
An IPAD2 would be great for PS moderating Andrey. :bigsmile:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ella|1299882666|2869846 said:

Hmmmm. I guess it could make it easier to moderate. :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the iPad come out yesterday? We were at the mall and I wanted to check it out, but there were people camped outside the Apple store!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH would be getting one (he has one of the original) except they didn't increase the memory. When they offer one past 64 g he will be one of the first in line. He loves his iPad.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Ella|1299882666|2869846 said:

There's an app for that. . . . :tongue: :bigsmile:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just the original for a family trip- I didn't think I'd love it but figured I'd try it out as Best Buy allows returns within two weeks- I'm hooked, and for sure will exchange for the new one.
It will be cool to have the cameras.
Whoever mentioned larger Angry birds....+100

I'll also say my 2 and a half year old LOVES it.
There's some very cool pre-school games that made the flights 1000% more bearable

BoulderGal

Shiny_Rock
My husband wants one in the worst way, but there are none available. He didn't wait friday night ("I don't want to be a sucker!") so now he's out of luck. The plan is that he will write apps (he's a programmer) for bragging rights and maybe make a few bucks.

He got one for me as a late birthday present last year--it's very nice!

BoulderGal

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had to resurrect this thread to say that I got one! Love love love it!

I love laying across my bed and surfing pricescope or kindle books and it is going to be fabulous for our trip! There are all kinds of free travel guides and the travel books I was going to carry can be downloaded right to it. Te GPS for finding things will be great too. So fun!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Who also got a smart cover??? LOL

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did! A green one. I am waiting for Leatherology to get some new colors of cases in the next 30-60 days so I can safely stash it in my travel handbag.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I got the orange one. I just a clear plastic case for the back that works with the smart cover. And I am using DH's old netbook carrying case to hold it, but might look into something nicer.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I have a love/hate relationship with technology and a love/hate/love relationship with Apple.

We are a two MacBook Pro/2 iPhone 4/Nook Color household and I honestly don't see up getting an iPad anytime soon.

We love our iPhones and all the apps, games, utilities. We could never live without our MacBooks that don't crash or get viruses while all of our colleagues are scratching their heads. We have a ridiculous library of books and can carry all kinds of travel guides, dictionaries and novels in a compact and lighweight Nook...BUT...I hate the times that the technology simply is unavailable.

Most consistently, it is on planes. When they ask to turn off electronic devices, I am soooo envious of all the people that continue to read their favorite book uninterrupted, I am ashamed to admit that I don't know what time it is since my phone is turned off, etc.

The only way I can see DH springing for an iPad is if the following sentence is magically uttered on one of our flights: "Thanks to our sponsor, Apple, you may leave your iPads on during takeoff (or landing). All other electronic devices must be turned off at this time."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrey, an iPad2 would be great for me getting moderated too. :bigsmile:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an ipad2 but hated the new cover because it didn't protect the back. I got a wonderful leather cover from Yoobao that was highly recommended by macworld , covers the entire pad and only cost $39.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results